Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:29:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400246 times)
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36680 on: September 14, 2017, 12:33:01 PM

Yeah, ours were always locked-up at the last employer.  

Didn't stop us from spending an average $200 per month on USB wall plugs and iPhone connectors due to Executive staff "forgetting" their chargers in hotels every other week.  Goddamn people.

The closets are locked, and some of the cables were actually patched into the switches.  It was someone in ITS who ran off with them--someone who could log into the system and tell which ports had been recently used, so I didn't realize there was a problem until we moved machines to new locations and wound up actually having to look into the closet.

Keys don't work on evil.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:34:33 PM by Polysorbate80 »

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Hammond
Terracotta Army

Reply #36681 on: September 15, 2017, 09:59:36 AM

Christ that sucks, that makes it even worse that a "trained" person took them.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36682 on: September 18, 2017, 11:19:42 AM

Yeg, whomever made the decision to remove the forecast graphs on the Wunderground site needs to be cut up into little pieces. They were the most useful thing like ever.

At least the phone app still has them.

Never mind they moved it to a new "10 day" tab instead of having it on the main page when you load a station.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 11:22:02 AM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36683 on: September 18, 2017, 11:53:31 AM

Sorry.  The user experience sucks in general.  Not my team.  I'd like to give smart people the JSON packet but that's not feasible.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36684 on: September 18, 2017, 12:00:08 PM

Did I already ask if I can use euros in Poland and Czech Republic?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36685 on: September 18, 2017, 12:04:08 PM

Literally pasted your question into google.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/to-the-east/euro-in-the-czech-republic-and-hungary
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36686 on: September 18, 2017, 01:12:25 PM

You guys are usually more entertaining than google.

IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36687 on: September 18, 2017, 01:24:26 PM

I don't know about Poland, but most places in the Czech Republic will accept Euros. They'll generally have a sign showing what terrible conversion rate they are using is. IME it's better to just withdraw enough Crowns for small random purchases and use your card for the rest.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36688 on: September 19, 2017, 05:32:01 AM

The plan is essentially to carry around four different currencies and use the CC when possible.  Despite the inevitable frowns I'll get when doing so.

I wonder if Project Fi works better or worse in West Europe than it does here.  I might assume it would work better in Berlin, but who knows?

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36689 on: September 19, 2017, 06:21:27 AM

When you finally snag the OOP Basil Gogos art book from your wishlist (because he ded now) for $16 in VG and by the time it ships a couple days later, a VG copy is going for $200 (and way up), in paperback (HC are running $500+). Woah.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36690 on: September 19, 2017, 06:22:38 AM

Now you can have that operation.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36691 on: September 19, 2017, 10:52:30 AM

I want to set the entire wedding industry on fire. Fuck these people and their insane markups. I've basically handed this shit off to the parents financially because it's really their party, so I'm washing my hands of anything that doesn't have to do with food.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #36692 on: September 19, 2017, 10:56:54 AM

Grats on the engagement!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36693 on: September 19, 2017, 11:00:01 AM

I want to set the entire wedding industry on fire. Fuck these people and their insane markups.

You can always do all the planning yourself and save a ton of money (at the cost of a couple months worth of your sanity). 

But if you can make your parents pay for someone else to do it, that's obviously way better.   awesome, for real  Grats!

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
schild
Administrator

Reply #36694 on: September 19, 2017, 11:08:47 AM

Wedding industry is absolutely garbage. Florists and photographers are the worst.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36695 on: September 19, 2017, 11:17:22 AM

I want to set the entire wedding industry on fire. Fuck these people and their insane markups.

You can always do all the planning yourself and save a ton of money (at the cost of a couple months worth of your sanity).  

But if you can make your parents pay for someone else to do it, that's obviously way better.   awesome, for real  Grats!

They are paying for all of it because we jokingly threatened to get married in a barn. And then we toured the actual barn with them!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? Anyway it was very nice of them both to take over it because we wanted something small and they didn't, so this way they get what they want by footing the bill. It's win-win there.

The problem is still managing all of it because nobody wants to do that part, and there's still a budget regardless of who is paying.

Also, thanks, we're very happy together!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36696 on: September 19, 2017, 11:26:43 AM

I did the Justice of the Peace with 1 of my friends and 1 of hers. Whole wedding with cheap rings and all the small extras was just shy of $450. Best choice I ever made and a far cry from my buddy's wedding with reception in the Sears Tower in CHI or my other best friend on the beach in Charleston, SC.  awesome, for real

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #36697 on: September 19, 2017, 11:52:14 AM

We just paid for a lunch and cake at a nice restaurant nearby. Easiest wedding ever, no bridesmaids, no groomsmen, just show up and do vows, eat food, socialize and cut cake.

- Viin
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36698 on: September 19, 2017, 11:59:56 AM

I got married by post. My wife and I were on different continents when it happened. Cost me a notary fee for the affidavit to let my wife pick up the marriage licence without me and two lots of transatlantic FedEx charges.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36699 on: September 19, 2017, 12:30:28 PM

Wedding industry is absolutely garbage. Florists and photographers are the worst.

Have your aunt who just bought her DSLR or took that flower arranging course at the community college do it then. Compare results.

Yeah...

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36700 on: September 19, 2017, 12:41:24 PM

Have your aunt who just bought her DSLR or took that flower arranging course at the community college do it then. Compare results.

Yeah...
Have art degree.

I get to be an asshole to these people. I literally paid to be an asshole to these people.
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36701 on: September 19, 2017, 12:42:18 PM

I won't shoot weddings for any amount of money (actually, right now I would, but normally I'd nope the fuck out). It's a full day of shooting, probably paying at least one assistant as a second shooter to get different angles, wrangle reflectors, etc. Then it's at least a full week of editing. And if I fuck it up, I'll get sued into oblivion. Oh and every fucker else at the wedding will be throwing shitty flashes from their smartphones or momtographer issue DSLRs on auto mode and fucking up my highlights or trying to step in front of my lens because they want a phone camera photo of the kiss more than they want the bride and groom to have a quality image of the focal moments of the ceremony.

On top of needing to have two sets of pro-level gear and enough experience to be confident you can get the perfect shot first time, every time. That's why wedding photogs cost as much as they do.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36702 on: September 19, 2017, 12:47:22 PM

I did the Justice of the Peace with 1 of my friends and 1 of hers. Whole wedding with cheap rings and all the small extras was just shy of $450. Best choice I ever made and a far cry from my buddy's wedding with reception in the Sears Tower in CHI or my other best friend on the beach in Charleston, SC.  awesome, for real

We did exactly this and never regretted it. It was that or starting our marriage $25k in debt for one day of "fun". Then we proceeded to have an entire summer of parties with friends and had a blast!
schild
Administrator

Reply #36703 on: September 19, 2017, 12:51:51 PM

I won't shoot weddings for any amount of money (actually, right now I would, but normally I'd nope the fuck out). It's a full day of shooting, probably paying at least one assistant as a second shooter to get different angles, wrangle reflectors, etc. Then it's at least a full week of editing. And if I fuck it up, I'll get sued into oblivion. Oh and every fucker else at the wedding will be throwing shitty flashes from their smartphones or momtographer issue DSLRs on auto mode and fucking up my highlights or trying to step in front of my lens because they want a phone camera photo of the kiss more than they want the bride and groom to have a quality image of the focal moments of the ceremony.

On top of needing to have two sets of pro-level gear and enough experience to be confident you can get the perfect shot first time, every time. That's why wedding photogs cost as much as they do.

And yet, most wedding photography is dreadful hot garbage and they still charge absurd amounts.

Methinks you give too much credence to the photographer and pay too little to the inflationary costs of shit around the wedding industry.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36704 on: September 19, 2017, 12:53:29 PM

I did a wedding for a friend one time and never did that shit again. It is a thankless task, and because the entire wedding industry is full of assholes with a minor in art taking advantage of brides who think they should be catered to for everything for just one day (and the six months to a year prior), no one wants to pay what it's worth but everyone with a camera will think they can do better.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36705 on: September 19, 2017, 01:02:03 PM

The dreadful garbage is because the pros got chased out by all the above garbage Iain has outlined. Not to mention couples who demand a $500 -$1000 price tag for all of it that includes custom albums, full sets of prints AND digital negatives so they can go to costco for prints later.

The price was set when there were pros. There's still a few out there tolerating it, but yeah, no surprise there's fewer each year.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36706 on: September 19, 2017, 01:49:17 PM

When My sister got married, the Photographer dragged them all over the local tourist area for hours, taking snap after snap, because my sisters are pretty photogenic, and he was going to use them for advertising photos. By the time they arrived at the hotel we were all nearly dead from starvation

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36707 on: September 19, 2017, 01:51:05 PM

I got married in a Japanese garden by a JOP with my brother as a photographer and a total of 10 people present.  Best decision I ever made.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36708 on: September 19, 2017, 01:55:22 PM

I can't recall ever talking to one person who has said they wished they spent *more* on their wedding.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #36709 on: September 19, 2017, 01:58:31 PM

I got married in the front yard of one Aunt, with the ceremony performed by another Aunt (former nun, WWF promoter, and Juvenile Max Sec Prison Guard) Great fun, the most expensive part was $20 to ElPaso county for the license.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36710 on: September 19, 2017, 02:16:19 PM

We did exactly this and never regretted it. It was that or starting our marriage $25k in debt for one day of "fun". Then we proceeded to have an entire summer of parties with friends and had a blast!
Same here, basically. There's a local guy who charged like $100 to marry us; we each had a friend present for MB/MoH plus our parents and that was that. Then a little reception in a local VFW the week after. Cost about $1k total.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
schild
Administrator

Reply #36711 on: September 19, 2017, 02:17:14 PM

(former nun, WWF promoter, and Juvenile Max Sec Prison Guard)

this person needs to join f13

i have questions
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36712 on: September 19, 2017, 02:39:29 PM

I got married in the front yard of one Aunt, with the ceremony performed by another Aunt (former nun, WWF promoter, and Juvenile Max Sec Prison Guard) Great fun, the most expensive part was $20 to ElPaso county for the license.

I also got married in El Paso county. In my case the one in Colorado. I was physically in Nottingham at the time, but the licence and certificate were issued by El Paso county.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36713 on: September 19, 2017, 03:01:37 PM

(former nun, WWF promoter, and Juvenile Max Sec Prison Guard)

this person needs to join f13

i have questions

Are one or more of those career aspirations for you?

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
schild
Administrator

Reply #36714 on: September 19, 2017, 04:16:53 PM

No, I bet she just has good stories. That's quite the range of careers.
Pages: 1 ... 1047 1048 [1049] 1050 1051 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: