Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:19:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400342 times)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36575 on: September 01, 2017, 12:16:27 PM

Wow. Good job Merusk.

As for Sky though, I'm surprised his fiancee hasn't smothered him with a pillow yet.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36576 on: September 01, 2017, 08:59:18 PM

Truth
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36577 on: September 01, 2017, 10:24:50 PM

MFP is an amazing tool and what helped me drop 30 lbs a couple of years ago (got it all back natch) but good god is it a tedious pain in the ass.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36578 on: September 01, 2017, 11:10:52 PM

If you find a good app, you need to tap into that little OCD part you have in you somewhere and treat it like a game.  Just the simple act of tracking what you eat will likely lead to you staying under your daily limits, and sometimes it will open your eyes about portion control and just how many calories certain things actually have in them.  In the brief periods I have used this kind of tracking, it was super effective simply because I would refuse to let my consumption go above the line.

Of course, there are better ways to manage weight, but that is a different conversation.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36579 on: September 01, 2017, 11:40:58 PM

Penn Jillette used a Bluetooth enabled scale with a bunch of friends to turn weight loss into a competition/game and lost a ton. I think that would tap into my competitive/achiever/OCD side but I have the small problem of not having any friends.   Ohhhhh, I see.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36580 on: September 02, 2017, 12:10:47 AM

Penn Jillette used a Bluetooth enabled scale with a bunch of friends to turn weight loss into a competition/game and lost a ton. I think that would tap into my competitive/achiever/OCD side but I have the small problem of not having any friends.   Ohhhhh, I see.

Surely the technology exists for us to have an f13 weight loss league.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36581 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:58 AM

I would worry about what the min/max personalities might do in order to win such a competition.  I have used an app called Fitocracy on and off as it mixes a bit of tracking, social media and game into it all...although it is built around fitness, not weight loss specifically.  So you get points and levels based on your training program, achievements for certain goals or accomplishments, etc.  And really, that makes a bit more sense - a weight loss competition doesn't sound like the healthiest thing ever.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36582 on: September 02, 2017, 06:03:57 AM

MFP is an amazing tool and what helped me drop 30 lbs a couple of years ago (got it all back natch) but good god is it a tedious pain in the ass.

I started using it in 2015 but then stopped once I'd switched jobs and was traveling a lot. As more people have used it the database has gotten better so it's not quite as tedious.

They added a UPC scanner, which helps wiht 90% of my meals. The rest is being sure to measure things like Cereals or beverages with calories so I'm not lying about what I'm eating.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36583 on: September 02, 2017, 06:31:22 AM

I lost about 5 pounds while in hospital.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36584 on: September 02, 2017, 06:38:21 AM

I would worry about what the min/max personalities might do in order to win such a competition.  I have used an app called Fitocracy on and off as it mixes a bit of tracking, social media and game into it all...although it is built around fitness, not weight loss specifically.  So you get points and levels based on your training program, achievements for certain goals or accomplishments, etc.  And really, that makes a bit more sense - a weight loss competition doesn't sound like the healthiest thing ever.
The problem with fitness is :effort:. I would, however, be interested in an f13 weight loss competition.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #36585 on: September 02, 2017, 07:12:37 AM

Surely the technology exists for us to have an f13 weight loss league.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I'm in for $100.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #36586 on: September 02, 2017, 08:20:47 AM

So there's some interesting things going down in the world of credit card fraud lately of people stealing your info, sending items to you, then either intercepting them before you're home from work OR sending a courier to pick up the item as a "courtesy" to "return" it to the vendor. I'd never heard of this thing happening as it requires a lot of dominoes lining up and no one questioning anything in the process, which my friend just happened to do.  She said that if she hadn't been dealing with another item she DID order getting delivered to the wrong address and thinking this was related to it she probably would have just handed the laptop box over to the courier and life would have gone on none the wiser.
Hmm. We had about 150 bucks worth of stuff bought via our own Amazon account and shipped to us. We think, given the time the purchases were made and the nature of the purchases, that she had left herself logged into her Amazon account at work and either it was done as a joke or, more likely, the IT guy who was doing some work on her machine didn't recall whose profile he was working in and made some personal purchases.

I still have a package to send back via DHL.

Had to get new cards and update all the passwords...

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36587 on: September 02, 2017, 08:23:16 AM

I started using it in 2015 but then stopped once I'd switched jobs and was traveling a lot. As more people have used it the database has gotten better so it's not quite as tedious.

They added a UPC scanner, which helps wiht 90% of my meals. The rest is being sure to measure things like Cereals or beverages with calories so I'm not lying about what I'm eating.

I personally use LoseIt rather than the fitness pal thing. It has had a barcode scanner for years and their database has most everything I have needed from chains already there when I go out to one. I lost about 90 pounds in 8 months five years ago and have used it when I needed to lose weight since. The big problem I have had for the last year has been the will power for sticking to it which means I have not been doing so well and gained about 40 pounds back from where I want to be. So I am back at it with a vengeance and looking to lose 2 a week for the rest of the year.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36588 on: September 02, 2017, 10:01:00 AM

I wouldn't worry about the min/maxers, I'd worry about the hacker gamer who finds all the loopholes in the program so he can reach 500 lbs in two weeks while still technically staying within the program guidelines.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #36589 on: September 02, 2017, 04:18:21 PM

I wouldn't worry about the min/maxers, I'd worry about the hacker gamer who finds all the loopholes in the program so he can reach 500 lbs in two weeks while still technically staying within the program guidelines.

Or the catass.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36590 on: September 03, 2017, 08:01:30 PM

So, Seattle seems like a nice place? In Summer at least.

Am I crazy or do people not talk about this? I had vastly different expectations going in.

Also being on holiday got to me and I bought some BoseQC35s. Feels a bit absurd for headphone, but they're good. And great for being able to listen to shit without blowing my eardrums in noisy places.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 08:05:47 PM by lamaros »
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36591 on: September 03, 2017, 08:09:16 PM

So, Seattle seems like a nice place? In Summer at least.

Am I crazy or do people not talk about this? I had vastly different expectations going in.

Also being on holiday got to me and I bought some BoseQC35s. Feels a bit absurd for headphone, but they're good. And great for being able to listen to shit without blowing my eardrums in noisy places.
Seattle has a pretty moderate climate, once you get over the rain. Always green, temperature in the 70's most of the summers and 50's most of the winters. Only real drawback is that commutes suck if there's any significant north/south components to them.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36592 on: September 03, 2017, 08:23:29 PM

It hasn't substantially rained in 4 months.  We get as much rain as most places.  And this past week it's been 80-90s every day.

The commute sucks and I believe will only worsen with more people moving here.  And we're also overdue for a big quake.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36593 on: September 03, 2017, 08:32:14 PM

It hasn't substantially rained in 4 months.  We get as much rain as most places.  And this past week it's been 80-90s every day.

The commute sucks and I believe will only worsen with more people moving here.  And we're also overdue for a big quake.

I can't imagine the population boom will stop, seems a pretty underappreciated please to me. One of the few cities I've been recently that I've pleasantly imagined living in - though I note that Seattle doesn't rate on most of the "livable cities" surveys. Is this an issue of being American I wonder? Australian and Canadian cities get a good run on those things.

Not much to be done to fix the public transport and solve some commute issues? I understand the light-rail is getting extended and you're going to finish that tunnel, but I expect that will hardly make a dint? The light rail is painfully slow...
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36594 on: September 04, 2017, 12:39:55 AM

The city expanded at a rate faster than transportation infrastructure growth allowed. If you go back and watch the movie Singles that was set in Seattle around 1992, one of those characters in the movie was a traffic engineer. Traffic has been a problem for longer than I've been here. Also, the light rail is being expanded, though dreadfully slow. Where I live in West Seattle, we won't see the rail extension for 20+ years which will be around the time I retire. I don't mind helping the infrastructure grow for the future generations, but I would have liked to used it myself.

The tunnel is a bit of a dumb project - they definitely had to do something to replace the viaduct as it wasn't earthquake safe anymore. The plan for the tunnel has no stops downtown. It's a golden corridor for people that live in South or West Seattle and work at Amazon or SLU. The rest of downtown though, they're going to be pushed into the city streets or I-5. It's a bad plan.

Weather - fuck this summer. I'm so over the heat it isn't funny. I want the rain back, I'm missing my eight months of drizzle. I was reading recently that they expect Seattle to have hotter, dryer summers and wetter winters in the future.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #36595 on: September 04, 2017, 01:56:40 AM

Weather - fuck this summer. I'm so over the heat it isn't funny. I want the rain back, I'm missing my eight months of drizzle. I was reading recently that they expect Seattle to have hotter, dryer summers and wetter winters in the future.

If I had to choose between wet all year round, wet summers and dry winters, or wet winters and dry summers, I'd go with either of the first two.

I was in northern Thailand early this year and you couldn't see the horizon from all the dust around. A week there was enough.

But Seattle didn't seem too bad on this front, I was there four days and it even drizzled one morning?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 02:39:13 AM by lamaros »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36596 on: September 05, 2017, 09:50:06 AM

In LA, we used to love the very infrequent rain, because it temporarily knocked back the smog. Most of the time we couldn't see the downtown buildings from Long Beach. Dry cities suck.

I'd be up for a move to Seattle, if a job offer came along. And I generally hate cities and have a very short (and expensive) list that I would dig (basically also Toronto and San Francisco).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36597 on: September 05, 2017, 10:39:20 AM

Among cities I'd move to, Seattle isn't on the list. Most West Coast cities aren't, though. Mainly because they're popular and only getting more crowded while infrastructure problems rise up.

I've considered Columbus and Pittsburgh. Both have had decent revitalizations and are growing. Pittsburgh seems a generally decent place since a tech revitalization happening there thanks to CMU & Pitt and Apple, Google, and Uber setting-up offices.

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36598 on: September 05, 2017, 11:49:06 AM

Among cities I'd move to, Seattle isn't on the list. Most West Coast cities aren't, though. Mainly because they're popular and only getting more crowded while infrastructure problems rise up.

I've considered Columbus and Pittsburgh. Both have had decent revitalizations and are growing. Pittsburgh seems a generally decent place since a tech revitalization happening there thanks to CMU & Pitt and Apple, Google, and Uber setting-up offices.

Those are fine and dandy here in black and gold town, now can you help get rid of the other 80% of the city?

To be fair, I actually like Pittsburgh as a city... but I hate it being a prisoner here. Once the wife and I move, I think I'll like the city more and may even visit the friends we do have here someday. but living here? This place and the people can get bent.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36599 on: September 05, 2017, 11:52:06 AM

You gotta give Merusk a bit of slack, he is looking at things in comparison to Cincinnati after all. why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36600 on: September 05, 2017, 12:36:02 PM

If I had my druthers, though...it wouldn't be an American city. It would be one with national health care. Looking down the gun of having to be retired in less than 13 years without health care for 2-5 years after. I'm pinin' for the fjords.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36601 on: September 05, 2017, 01:06:45 PM

Maybe someplace with less active weather systems.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36602 on: September 05, 2017, 01:39:47 PM

You gotta give Merusk a bit of slack, he is looking at things in comparison to Cincinnati after all. why so serious?

This was going to be my exact response.

I need out of this place.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36603 on: September 05, 2017, 02:59:19 PM

Fuckin Ohio lol

Edit: you could do worse than Pittsburgh. But you could also do better pretty easily.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36604 on: September 05, 2017, 04:20:36 PM

I lived in Columbus for fifteen years - happy to chat if you want info about it. It's a good city, a bit sprawling but I like it best out of all the Ohio cities.

East side traffic is a pain in the ass though. The last few times I've visited I think the traffic is worse on Columbus east side than anywhere in Seattle proper.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36605 on: September 05, 2017, 06:12:38 PM

Fuckin Ohio lol

Edit: you could do worse than Pittsburgh. But you could also do better pretty easily.

I'd want to move someplace my employer has an office. That's Pitt, Columbus, Indianapolis, Louisville, Nashville when talking about places I'd be willing to live in the Midwest/ SE. . Considering that's 3 Red state hellholes, more Ohio or PA I'll stick with OH or PA.

Other options include Florida and Vegas. Nope.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36606 on: September 05, 2017, 06:32:51 PM

Indy itself is not too terrible. They have the best airport of all the cities you named when you need to escape :)

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36607 on: September 05, 2017, 06:33:23 PM

Wife wants to move to Nashville badly.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36608 on: September 05, 2017, 06:39:37 PM

I've never been to Ohio but I assume people live there for the same reason people "enjoy" oatmeal.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #36609 on: September 05, 2017, 07:14:46 PM

Nashville is going to get as unlivable as Atlanta in 3-5 years.  The city is growing really damn fast, but no one seems to know how to handle it.  Commutes are increasing 5-10 minutes year per year the last 5-7 years, but all the local businesses are adamantly opposed to any kind of public transit.   There are 3-4 magnet schools, and if you don't make the lottery, you're going to private school -- because the charter schools aren't the silver bullet everyone was promising.

Also, getting in on the cheap was finished by 2014.  Any place that's desirable is 3-4 times what it was 10 years ago.  You can find decent, affordable places in the periphery cities (Hendersonville, Pleasant View, Goodletsville, Mt. Juliet, etc.), but they're all 45-90 min from the action.  The enitre axis of I-65 south of the city (Green Hills, Franklin) is just as expensive as Nashville.

To be fair, people are moving here because it's actually becoming a place worth living.  Ten years ago, the city bulldozed an industrial district and created an amazing residential/retail neighborhood in the middle of downtown - the Gulch.  The area around Vanderbilt has gotten pretty fancy, too.  And the Broadway/2nd Ave bar district is not the collection of dives and shitholes it was 20 years ago -- it's way nicer and safer that Beale St.   And amazing restaurants and shops have just sorta popped up all over.

So, if you've got $1500 a month for a 1 bedroom, it's an awesome place to be young and social.

If you're middle-aged and middle income, you get over-extended infrastructure and doubled commutes.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Pages: 1 ... 1044 1045 [1046] 1047 1048 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: