Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:32:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400764 times)
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36540 on: August 28, 2017, 12:00:50 PM

Ah-ha, good old F13.

I have another failed battery-powered timer, and so I'm strongly considering installing a central control: https://www.hunterindustries.com/irrigation-product/controllers/x-core/

Since everything is in place already, I should be able to get by "just" with trenching copper wire.

Oh if you have the system installed and just need to change controllers then yeah, that will be a piece of cake (well, depending on the length). All you'd need to know is the regulations for buried wire (no clue if you'd need conduit or if it is dependent on the voltage). Obviously, no conduit is way easier but less safe. The system at the course I worked on was back in '89-'91 but each sprinkler head had its own actuator so we ran the lines in a 3/4" conduit next to the 3" water supply pipe. Of course out there back then, nothing was to regulation.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36541 on: August 28, 2017, 12:53:20 PM

I live in an unincorporated area, out of sight from regulators.  Which means I need to make sure I can do this properly with some wire nuts and lots of wire.  I could assume that the actuators will respond to the X-Core just like it would to the local units, meaning I can just tie the wires together once trenched.  What could go wrong?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36542 on: August 28, 2017, 01:07:32 PM

I live in an unincorporated area, out of sight from regulators.  Which means I need to make sure I can do this properly with some wire nuts and lots of wire.  I could assume that the actuators will respond to the X-Core just like it would to the local units, meaning I can just tie the wires together once trenched.  What could go wrong?

I'll swing by to hold your beer while you work your magic.  why so serious?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #36543 on: August 28, 2017, 02:02:34 PM

Low voltage circuits rarely come under building codes after the voltage conversion, and swapping controllers is pretty straightforward if you have basic geek skills. Only thing I would warn to to do is seal the connections with rubber cement, silicone sealant, something like that (drip/squirt it into the wirenuts, leave them hanging so it will set).

It's 12v, low amperage, you can't hurt yourself much with it unless you really try. The sealant is just to prevent the wires from corroding away.

-Dave

--Signature Unclear
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36544 on: August 28, 2017, 02:24:37 PM

I have a good plan.  I reckon if I can make it to Xmas without having a cookie, I can have a cookie.  The only reason it's only good and not great is that I allow IOUs.  I'm trying to work out a better system.  :(  Also, seeing the numbers you guys talk about, I have a feeling that some of you are pretty tall.  That would also solve my problem. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36545 on: August 28, 2017, 02:29:35 PM

6 and a half feet tall here. I was too big to fit into the MRI machine today.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Hic sunt dracones.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36546 on: August 29, 2017, 10:09:31 AM

I have a good plan.  I reckon if I can make it to Xmas without having a cookie, I can have a cookie.

If you can make it to the end to the next five minutes without having a cookie, you can still have a cookie.  Does that help?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
schild
Administrator

Reply #36547 on: August 29, 2017, 10:18:37 AM

6 and a half feet tall here. I was too big to fit into the MRI machine today.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

that is not a place to use the drill emote that's just depressing

I have a good plan.  I reckon if I can make it to Xmas without having a cookie, I can have a cookie.

If you can make it to the end to the next five minutes without having a cookie, you can still have a cookie.  Does that help?
i don't have any cookies

had a honey cinnamon scone for breakfast tho
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36548 on: August 30, 2017, 11:13:33 AM

I have bonus money coming in - around $1500 after taxes. What should I spoil myself with?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36549 on: August 30, 2017, 11:14:29 AM

I have bonus money coming in - around $1500 after taxes. What should I spoil myself with?
I just got a check from the fed I didn't expect. Accountant said take the money.

It has become my bed money.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36550 on: August 30, 2017, 12:11:38 PM

Hookers and blow.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36551 on: August 30, 2017, 12:14:22 PM

Bed is a little over 18 months old, I don't do drugs, hookers are just an ugly man's last resort in these parts of the country. (Friend works at a fetish club. I'll follow him along sometime and get better for free.) Next!

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36552 on: August 30, 2017, 12:19:45 PM

I hate to be that guy, but... don't you still have a lot of financial shittiness headed your way? I'd save the majority. Maybe buy a game or something.

-Rasix
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36553 on: August 30, 2017, 12:31:17 PM

I hate to be that guy, but... don't you still have a lot of financial shittiness headed your way? I'd save the majority. Maybe buy a game or something.

This ^^

Hide that money until the legal shitstorm blows over.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #36554 on: August 30, 2017, 01:12:22 PM

Oh man this. Hide the check. Get it cashed at a check cashing place. Don't tell anyone the money exists.

lol
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36555 on: August 30, 2017, 01:32:28 PM

Shit goes directly into my personal account, no way of getting her hands on it and I've already had all my cards issued with new numbers in case they were saved anyplace for online payments.  I'm ahead of the game there.

The financial shittiness is only the loss of the house. The lawyer is paid for in full (Yay dissolution* and unbundled services), the court cost is $350 once the filing is ready, which is only waiting on the final decision for selling or having the sibling buy the house from me for mortgage+equity owed the ex since my credit is currently thrashed due to the unpaid auto.

Fair point on not blowing the whole wad, though. Maybe $300ish of it.

*Dissolution is very different from divorce. It's a no-fault divorce in that you both agree you shouldn't be married. You agree to the terms of asset and debt division and walk away. None of the discovery, arguing, tallying and legal filings of a divorce. I spent about 7 hours writing-up the agreement and negotiating with the ex. We took it to the lawyer and showed it to him.

He explained a few things he needs additional details on: Custody schedule if she stays in the area, what will happen if the Son wants to go with her instead of me down the road, what happens to child support if she doesn't move out of the area, etc. When he has all that and the info on what I'm doing with the house, he will write my exact agreement up in the format and language the county court wants filings submitted in.  We'll submit, have a court date and the judge will ask if we both agree as written. IF we do in court, that's it. He signs-off and we go our separate ways.

Unbundled services means the lawyer doesn't represent either of us. He's there ONLY to help with filing and making sure the agreement meets legal standards. If either one of us chooses to get a lawyer he can't rep either of us now. His client is the divorce paperwork.

Quite a lot less stressful decision once I'd found out about this process. I was worried about being wrapped-up in discovery, arguments, and fees for years. Nope, all told it can be as little as 30 days.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:39:16 PM by Merusk »

schild
Administrator

Reply #36556 on: August 30, 2017, 01:50:47 PM

Due to dissolution, is she getting saddled with her own bullshit debt?
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36557 on: August 30, 2017, 03:40:44 PM

that is not a place to use the drill emote that's just depressing

Yeah, I guess. it was actually more to do with my broad shoulders than my gut. They had my arms crossed over my chest and they said after they were afraid that my circulation in my arms would be cut off. Also I found out that being trapped in a coffin space is my personal Room 101 torture. I couldn't stand it.

Anyway, I'll be discharged tomorrow. The MRI showed indications of infection on the tip of my toe bone,  bit the consultant examined me and my toe is much better. So he is happy to leave it alone. I have a benign tumour made of fat (called a Lipoma) on my jawline, which appears to be going into my Parotid gland in front of my Ear. They are going to leave it alone, and I have to admit I'm afraid of what happens if It gets infected again. Hrm.

Oh well, I'm glad to be going home. I'll get this Stabby Stomach drug tomorrow as well.

Hic sunt dracones.
Rasix

Reply #36558 on: August 30, 2017, 05:12:21 PM

Credit card # stolen again. Geniuses bought $1500 of camping gear and were having it shipped to my house.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #36559 on: August 30, 2017, 06:21:48 PM

LMAO don't report it stolen yet and see if they come to pick it up  swamp poop

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36560 on: August 31, 2017, 05:39:37 AM

I Decided I'm buying myself a PS4 and 32" TV. That way I can game with the son when he's on the PS4 in the living room on the 60". Aaayy, win/win.

Due to dissolution, is she getting saddled with her own bullshit debt?

Yes and no. When I was keeping the house I was taking on the debt to reduce the amount of equity to pay out. (If she got 50% she'd use that equity to pay the debt anyway.)  If it turns out my sister & BIL can't buy the house from me, the dissolution will name those debts on her credit report as hers and she'll get a check for her half of the house. She can pay me the remainder of her car loan to get that back (since it's in my name) and pay off her own bills, or walk with the money. Either way I'll be better off.

Credit card # stolen again. Geniuses bought $1500 of camping gear and were having it shipped to my house.
  swamp poop

Wonder if they were planning on staking out your house and snagging the packages as they arrived. That'd be frightening.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36561 on: August 31, 2017, 06:18:22 AM

Last business day of the month is my busiest day of work.  I have to prep all the labor recovery for ~100+ projects and get it sent to our finance people so they can do the actual SAP uploads.  I'm feeling extra pressure this month and felt the need for some liquid reinforcement, so I hit up Starbucks for a Chai Latte.  Holy fucking cow, I'd really forgotten how damn sweet these things are!  ACK!

Still gonna drink it and savor every sip.  I need it today.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36562 on: August 31, 2017, 06:42:36 AM

Your wife wanted to go camping for like 6 seconds and then regretted it.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36563 on: August 31, 2017, 10:16:09 AM

schild
Administrator

Reply #36564 on: August 31, 2017, 12:06:27 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say that you should not do that.
Rasix

Reply #36565 on: August 31, 2017, 12:26:09 PM

Your wife wanted to go camping for like 6 seconds and then regretted it.

I can see that happening. There was a school camping trip upcoming, but there's no way in hell she'd do it. Her idea of camping is an air conditioned cabin with cable.

This was just weird. The place that shipped it started recalling it before we even had the fraud claim in. It wasn't from a big site/store either like Cabela's, Dick's or REI or any place we'd previously purchased from.

Ohh well, new cards get here tomorrow or Saturday. Time to change ALL THE PASSWORDS as well.  Fun.

-Rasix
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #36566 on: August 31, 2017, 12:27:24 PM

Wonder if they were planning on staking out your house and snagging the packages as they arrived. That'd be frightening.
Friend of mine just went through this a week and a half ago.  A laptop showed up at her place via FedEx one day.  She happened to be working from home and picked it up, then opened it and noticed her billing info inside so she called said vendor and found out that someone had ordered it online with her info, shipped to her.  Card gets replaced, she asks what about the laptop and the credit card company pretty much says "not our problem!" and gives her the money back with new cards issued.  Couple of days go by and a FedEx courier comes a knocking.  She once again happens to be working from home and courier says he has a pickup to make.  She figures "oh, vendor is picking up the laptop to return!" but then gets suspicious and asks the courier for some more info as surely the vendor would have contacted her to let her know they were doing this, right?  Courier is understanding and shows her the pickup slip paperwork and it's a valid FedEx order with a delivery to "SomeDudesNames, BestBuy, some address across town."  They both look up the address on Google Maps and it's some sketchy dingbat apartment complex in a not-so-nice neighborhood in Detroit.  Obviously it's NOT a Best Buy.  FedEx guy says "yeah we're not doing this" and doesn't pick anything up and marks it as fraud.

So there's some interesting things going down in the world of credit card fraud lately of people stealing your info, sending items to you, then either intercepting them before you're home from work OR sending a courier to pick up the item as a "courtesy" to "return" it to the vendor. I'd never heard of this thing happening as it requires a lot of dominoes lining up and no one questioning anything in the process, which my friend just happened to do.  She said that if she hadn't been dealing with another item she DID order getting delivered to the wrong address and thinking this was related to it she probably would have just handed the laptop box over to the courier and life would have gone on none the wiser.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36567 on: August 31, 2017, 01:22:06 PM

I'm going to go ahead and say that you should not do that.

I'm thinking I should do at least one and never open it.  The last one sold for $200 and was fetching $4k for an unopened box a few weeks ago.  Lego collectors are insane.

Then again, with that knowledge there's probably many folks thinking of doing the same these days.. so yeah, no.

schild
Administrator

Reply #36568 on: August 31, 2017, 01:46:31 PM

There's a difference between $200 entry fee and $700 entry fee.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36569 on: August 31, 2017, 01:55:32 PM

Don't do it, Merusk.  You know there will be a missing piece.   ACK!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36570 on: August 31, 2017, 03:06:40 PM

Hah, yeah I'm not doing it. It's crazy town in Legoland.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36571 on: August 31, 2017, 09:01:14 PM

Well almost got into a fist fight at the game tonight. That was fun. I figure his drunkenness and my extra 20 years might have evened things out and been a toss up.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #36572 on: August 31, 2017, 09:08:34 PM

We've switched to a diabetic diet -- the wifey is leaning towards diabetic and would prefer not to make the jump.

I had to learn the dumb method, because I can't ever remember what the hell a carb is.

So "nothing white, nothing that grows beneath the ground. And booze is bad".

Thankfully, never much of a drinker. But by god I miss french fries. :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36573 on: September 01, 2017, 06:51:52 AM

Fiancee is back on weight watchers, I find it entertaining to see how my meals stack up to their ever-changing number scheme.

Currently, most of my meals range from 2-5 points. She gets 30 points per day  why so serious?

The points system is probably terrible, but it's good for discipline and it works for her, she's been peeling off a couple pounds a week for a couple months now. While I mentioned I wouldn't mind toning up and improving core strength a bit, I'll never be heavy because of the hyperactivity...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36574 on: September 01, 2017, 08:20:06 AM

MyFitness Pal, being diligent about tracking and cutting-out sugars and reducing carbs has worked for me.  The drop to 226 last week was due to dehydration, but I'm at 228 today and LOOK thinner. I had people comment that my Stormtrooper looked too big on me, and sure enough it needs to be trimmed.  If I drop the last 30# I want, I'm going to need a new wardrobe.  I went down another belt notch on MOnday.

Pages: 1 ... 1043 1044 [1045] 1046 1047 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: