Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:15:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3426909 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36505 on: August 25, 2017, 11:12:51 PM

My dog Fluffy got diabetes last summer and the only way to treat him was stabbing him with the needles twice a day. Granted, this is not me getting stabbed, but it's amazing what you'll get used to when something you care about is at stake.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36506 on: August 25, 2017, 11:26:08 PM

I fucking hate needles. Like, I have had full blown panic attacks about getting an IV back in the day.  But between our IVF experience where i had to jab giant needles into my wife's ass and my hemochromatosis where I have to be phlebotomized all the fuckjng time I've managed to at least come to a solid truce with them.

If you can't deal, can't you get one of those pump dealies?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #36507 on: August 26, 2017, 12:03:07 AM

The needles are tiny.  A family member is diabetic.  Very manageable.  Hang in there T.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36508 on: August 26, 2017, 07:08:51 AM

What the heck are you going to do with $30,0000 speakers?   awesome, for real

Wat

The Dynaudios I want are MSRP like $3000 and the Raidhos are $7000.

I want the bookshelves. I already have JBL Studio towers and they're just too much. Also they're fugly.

There are some seriously high dollar Raidhos.  Like in the $20-60,000 range. 

There are quarter million dollar raidho's. I don't want those either.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36509 on: August 26, 2017, 09:49:47 AM

I assume this diabetic drug you mention is insulin? I've been using it for a couple of years and stabbing myself in belly to administer it. It's not painful at all. Probably because the tiny amounts you inject don't require a big fat needle.

Just do what the doctors say and don't be an idiot.  awesome, for real
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36510 on: August 26, 2017, 10:33:39 AM

When I was in hospital a few years ago with a heart problem I had to get injections in my belly several times a day. The nurse woudl just walk in, lift my t-shirt, stick me and walk out without saying a word. You really don't feel it. Especially if you're at least somewhat well-upholstered.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36511 on: August 26, 2017, 10:53:08 AM

This talk of diabetes and needles reinforces what got me off my ass to lose weight. One of our Vaders lost a foot earlier this year to diabetes, and he wasn't much smaller than I was build-wise.  (If I were scaled up to be 6'-7")  Then two guys in the office got Type 2.

Fuck needles, blood testing, and amputations. If I have to give up sugar to avoid it all, it's worth it.  I'm down to 226# now from 255 in May.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36512 on: August 26, 2017, 12:39:19 PM

Its not insulin (unless they are lying to me)

To be honest I have been injected and probded and poked for a week and a half now. It bloody hurts and I'm sick of it. I've actually lost about 28 pounds over the last year and a half and my blood sugar is generally pretty good, so.

The original infection came from a gigantic hole a Podiatrist left on the bottom of my toe, that was constantly oosing blood, and wasnt healing due to all the dead skin around it. Good times.

Hic sunt dracones.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36513 on: August 26, 2017, 01:31:47 PM

What the fuck kinda doctors are you seeing Jesus Christ.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36514 on: August 26, 2017, 04:06:39 PM

That sounds really strange T. You should demand to know exactly what they're dosing you with.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #36515 on: August 26, 2017, 04:40:00 PM

Not insulin though?  That sounds kind of strange.

And what others have said - you'll be surprised what you can get used to.  I had to take injections around my belly (blood thinners) after my hysterectomy and while I didn't like it, I got used to it pretty quickly.  They weren't big needles at all.  In fact, the worst part about that whole situation was figuring out where and how to properly dispose of all the used needles afterwards.  They certainly don't make it easy for people to do that.

Still, hope you finish healing up soon and get out of the hospital.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36516 on: August 26, 2017, 05:41:58 PM

the drug is called Victosa, and a quick search says that the actual chemical is called Liraglutide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liraglutide

Hic sunt dracones.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36517 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:22 AM

Stab needles into your belly, or schedule the amputation for your foot. No pressure, your call.

--Dave

Let me sleep on that...

Do eeeet! I like you, and my friends dieing off makes me sad. You don't want to be responsible for that, do you?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #36518 on: August 27, 2017, 09:32:37 AM

This is a bit culturally insensitive, but the BBC'S new Pigdin news service made me snicker.

It delivers gems like this:

https://www.bbc.com/pidgin/world-40997001

Congratulations to the young woman ditching her no-good, no-toilet-building husband!

Edit: And a bit background information: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_African_Pidgin_English
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 09:35:42 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36519 on: August 27, 2017, 10:42:00 AM

the drug is called Victosa, and a quick search says that the actual chemical is called Liraglutide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liraglutide

That looks like good stuff T. I'm glad you aren't stuck on insulin. Learning to use it properly is nerve-wracking. Take too much and you can get severe hypoglycemia that can kill you.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36520 on: August 27, 2017, 07:11:49 PM

My brother in law passed away a few weeks ago due to an uncontrolled infection related to being about 250 pounds overweight, and the related diabetes  ACK!

On a more positive note, I dropped under 200 pounds today for the first time in at least 20 years, down from 248 in April, and feel much better about myself.  My goal is to be a stable 190 or less before we hit Hawaii again this winter.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36521 on: August 27, 2017, 07:14:20 PM

On a more positive note, I dropped under 200 pounds today for the first time in at least 20 years, down from 248 in April, and feel much better about myself.  My goal is to be a stable 190 or less before we hit Hawaii again this winter.

That is a very positive note.  Well done!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36522 on: August 27, 2017, 09:50:57 PM

I'm so sorry about your bro in law, Poly.  That sounds awful.  Happy about your awesome accomplishment, though.  How did you do it?

As for Sir T, you have to do what's in the best interest of your health because I've known you far too long and have become attached.  No clog popping for you, old boy.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #36523 on: August 28, 2017, 01:11:24 AM

We should re-open the fitness thread with all this talk.  I'll lead with this:  Muscle-ups.  I never really tried to do them before yesterday.  My son (who is now old enough to go to the gym with me), saw some guy doing it on youtube and was convinced we should try them because they looked easy  Ohhhhh, I see..  Turns out I can do them.  Managed to actually do a set of 5, much to his chagrin  awesome, for real

On the diabetes thing - not that it is really new info, but heard some Danish research (they tend to be on the cutting edge for this sort of thing) strongly suggesting that the best way to manage type 2 stuff is simple diet and exercise.  Again, we knew this already, but it is worth emphasizing.  Anecdotally, I was on the edge of a type 2 diagnosis about 8 years ago, which prompted me to make serious changes.  I am not remotely in that danger zone any more, so it was true enough in my case.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #36524 on: August 28, 2017, 05:11:47 AM

Weight loss makes a huge difference. When I was first taking insulin I had to use about forty units a day. Now, after losing twenty kilos I only need ten. And trust me, ten units a day is a lot less scary to take than forty.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36525 on: August 28, 2017, 05:37:06 AM

Do eeeet! I like you, and my friends dieing off makes me sad. You don't want to be responsible for that, do you?  Ohhhhh, I see.

As for Sir T, you have to do what's in the best interest of your health because I've known you far too long and have become attached.  No clog popping for you, old boy.

2 women saying they linek me in one day???

*Faints backwards, forwards, sideways*

I've actually lost nearly 30 pounds in the last year or so, which leaves me just massively overweight.  why so serious?

Hic sunt dracones.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36526 on: August 28, 2017, 06:56:33 AM

After scraping the paint off all the trim on my house last week and then painting it, I'm considering getting back into light lifting again. I didn't get sore, but I did get kinda winded and was really considering how much vinyl replacements would cost  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I stay active (yay H of ADHD), but I wouldn't mind tightening things up a bit. Pretty happy the fiancee seems serious about getting back into shape, so next year I'm hoping to get back up in the Adirondacks, too. Miss hiking with her!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36527 on: August 28, 2017, 08:34:23 AM

I am going to give a try to learning sprinkler systems and setting up a central control for mine.  Since I can't find anyone (competent) willing to do it for me.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36528 on: August 28, 2017, 09:09:35 AM

I am going to give a try to learning sprinkler systems and setting up a central control for mine.  Since I can't find anyone (competent) willing to do it for me.

Spent my high school summers working on a golf course doing grounds maintenance. Was put in charge of sprinkler maintenance and installation my second year there. Not hard if you just think of it in terms of circuits - otherwise you are looking at some pretty stout labor in digging lines after mapping it out.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36529 on: August 28, 2017, 09:48:51 AM

How did you do it?

Biggest thing was setting a daily limit of 1800 calories, and remembering when I drink alcohol it has to fit in that limit.  It's reduced my booze intake considerably and pisses my friends off when they want to go get smashed, but I'm not setting myself back a week just to binge drink.

I still eat what I want with the exception of cutting out excessive bread & sugar.  Reduced carb, rather than low-carb.

Some resistance training to maintain muscle mass, and 10-14 mile bike rides (all I have time for) two or three times a week.  Except lately, I've slacked on those because it's been well over 90 degrees with a lot of wildfire smoke in the air.  I'm asthmatic--I can handle the bike, or the smoke, but not both at the same time.

Next step on the health trail is to somehow be as brave as Calapine and go get counseling for my anxiety/anger issues.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36530 on: August 28, 2017, 10:19:26 AM

I actually make my own wholemeal bread at home with a breadmaker, with Yeast which eats up some of the sugar. It's pretty filling and I rarely eat more than a couple of slices
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 10:51:55 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #36531 on: August 28, 2017, 10:33:19 AM

One of the things I hate about getting older: Having to avoid bread and pasta to stay semi-lean.  Brown rice, oatmeal, and sweet potatoes are my main carb source these days.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36532 on: August 28, 2017, 10:52:51 AM

I was never a fan of Pasta, but avoiding bread is proving to be a goddamn herculean effort. I love fresh bread so very, very much. I could eat an entire loaf.

Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #36533 on: August 28, 2017, 11:02:05 AM

Same  Heartbreak

Hic sunt dracones.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36534 on: August 28, 2017, 11:05:10 AM

How did you do it?

Biggest thing was setting a daily limit of 1800 calories, and remembering when I drink alcohol it has to fit in that limit.  It's reduced my booze intake considerably and pisses my friends off when they want to go get smashed, but I'm not setting myself back a week just to binge drink.

I still eat what I want with the exception of cutting out excessive bread & sugar.  Reduced carb, rather than low-carb.

Some resistance training to maintain muscle mass, and 10-14 mile bike rides (all I have time for) two or three times a week.  Except lately, I've slacked on those because it's been well over 90 degrees with a lot of wildfire smoke in the air.  I'm asthmatic--I can handle the bike, or the smoke, but not both at the same time.

Next step on the health trail is to somehow be as brave as Calapine and go get counseling for my anxiety/anger issues.

Sounds like your plan was my plan, and it works pretty well. The truism is right though -- that last ten pounds is the hardest. I mentally want to be 185, but my body insists that 195-200 is just fine. 200 pounds is my trigger point though. When I hit that on the scale I get super serious about diet and exercise, slam myself down to 190 or so, then slowly creep back up.

Thing is, I'm pretty physically fit. I can do yard work all afternoon long without a problem, but I guess then sitting down to a 3000 calorie dinner kinda replaces all the calories burned and then some...
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #36535 on: August 28, 2017, 11:09:47 AM

Anyone have a good/simple phone (iOS) app for calorie counting?  I've used MyFitnessPal for the last few years but after it got bought by Under Armour I've been having issues with some of the ads on it redirecting me to some seriously shitty/scammy websites.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36536 on: August 28, 2017, 11:17:12 AM

I use MFP and just don't click ads.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36537 on: August 28, 2017, 11:42:48 AM

Spent my high school summers working on a golf course doing grounds maintenance. Was put in charge of sprinkler maintenance and installation my second year there. Not hard if you just think of it in terms of circuits - otherwise you are looking at some pretty stout labor in digging lines after mapping it out.

Ah-ha, good old F13.

I have another failed battery-powered timer, and so I'm strongly considering installing a central control: https://www.hunterindustries.com/irrigation-product/controllers/x-core/

Since everything is in place already, I should be able to get by "just" with trenching copper wire.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36538 on: August 28, 2017, 11:44:41 AM

Bread is hard to avoid when you live with people who eat bread.  I try to only get carbs from beer, and mostly I fail at that but it's OK because I'm still eating far less wheat than before.

Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #36539 on: August 28, 2017, 11:59:49 AM

I can't totally give up pasta, or pizza; someone would wind up getting stabbed.

Vacation will also temporarily derail my diet, and I'll have to fight some pounds back off.  There's a place on Kauai called The Right Slice (shameless plug incoming) that makes a Mango-Lilikoi pie, which pairs perfectly with Lappert's "Luau Delight" coconut-lilikoi sorbet.  I could (and will) eat 2000+ calories of that every goddamn day while on the island.

Pages: 1 ... 1042 1043 [1044] 1045 1046 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: