Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400369 times)
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36330 on: July 29, 2017, 08:31:00 AM

Yeah.. final debt is over 300k. Like, she'd owe ME money rather than me paying support despite me earning 2.5x her salary.

Financial monkey reporting in.

How did she go about amassing 300k in debt? Can you give me an idea what she was blowing that kind of cash on at that high speed?

I ask because I've seen this before, and I'm just wondering which of the 5 key things it was.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #36331 on: July 29, 2017, 09:07:36 AM

My grandmother owned her home with no debt; after gramps died in '85 she used the insurance to retire and buy the house. Somehow in her early 80s she managed to get a $50k line of credit from the local bank on her house and spent every last dime of it. My parents bailed her out and paid the $65k (after interest) to get her back to even. Once clear, she fucking did it again without telling my parents. The exact same fucking thing. They can't bail her out now so now 90 year old grandma can't go live in a nice assisted living facility and has to spend her last days in her broken down home with her kids worrying about her safety because nobody can afford to pay that much again.

The kicker to the story? Nobody knows where the money went. She has literally nothing to show for it and refuses to show the statements of how she spent it. Its fucking bonkers.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #36332 on: July 29, 2017, 09:32:13 AM

My grandmother owned her home with no debt; after gramps died in '85 she used the insurance to retire and buy the house. Somehow in her early 80s she managed to get a $50k line of credit from the local bank on her house and spent every last dime of it. My parents bailed her out and paid the $65k (after interest) to get her back to even. Once clear, she fucking did it again without telling my parents. The exact same fucking thing. They can't bail her out now so now 90 year old grandma can't go live in a nice assisted living facility and has to spend her last days in her broken down home with her kids worrying about her safety because nobody can afford to pay that much again.

The kicker to the story? Nobody knows where the money went. She has literally nothing to show for it and refuses to show the statements of how she spent it. Its fucking bonkers.
Gambling, maybe? My grandmom was a big slot-machine addict.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #36333 on: July 29, 2017, 09:45:45 AM

I'm just wondering which of the 5 key things it was.
And now we're all wondering what the 5 key things are  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #36334 on: July 29, 2017, 09:51:40 AM

Yeah.. final debt is over 300k. Like, she'd owe ME money rather than me paying support despite me earning 2.5x her salary.

How did she go about amassing 300k in debt? Can you give me an idea what she was blowing that kind of cash on at that high speed?

I ask because I've seen this before, and I'm just wondering which of the 5 key things it was.

Gambling, drugs, shopping, what are the other 2 things?

Merusk, I recall feeling that feeling of finally being done and ready to move on when I divorced my first husband, after 5 years of trying to make something work that wasn't up to me to fix. It was a great feeling, kinda scary but also nice to close that chapter. Having no kids made it less scary, I think - no kids, no ties. It took a little while before I felt like I became me again. Just me, without having to worry about someone else. But what a great feeling. Sounds like you're going to be just fine.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #36335 on: July 29, 2017, 10:29:26 AM

Gambling, drugs, shopping, what are the other 2 things?

Merusk, I recall feeling that feeling of finally being done and ready to move on when I divorced my first husband, after 5 years of trying to make something work that wasn't up to me to fix. It was a great feeling, kinda scary but also nice to close that chapter. Having no kids made it less scary, I think - no kids, no ties. It took a little while before I felt like I became me again. Just me, without having to worry about someone else. But what a great feeling. Sounds like you're going to be just fine.

Whores and ... travel?

I actually doubt travel is on that list of stupid stuff that everyone blows all their cash on, but it should be. I've known lots of folks who, as soon as they save a couple of nickles to rub together, immediately spend it on a trip/cruise of some sort... After all, it's experiences that bring true happiness, right?

I'm taking it that there are no kids involved Merusk's case either?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #36336 on: July 29, 2017, 10:39:44 AM

No blow?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36337 on: July 29, 2017, 11:01:38 AM

I actually doubt travel is on that list of stupid stuff that everyone blows all their cash on, but it should be. I've known lots of folks who, as soon as they save a couple of nickles to rub together, immediately spend it on a trip/cruise of some sort... After all, it's experiences that bring true happiness, right?

My grandpa was an accountant who bought a huge house for his family, and then eventually had it under three mortgages to be able to keep financing vacations for himself.  When he died my grandma wasn't able to pay off the debt so she lost the house. 

I used to fantasize about being able to buy that place back someday because it was an awesome house, but it's worth $4M today so I don't think I'm gonna be able to catch up to it. 

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36338 on: July 29, 2017, 11:21:41 AM

That's not just her, that's marital debt, so the house and cars are in there as well. That accounts for 178k.  Then there's her school loans which, since she's managed to get deferment on them while telling me she was paying, have hit 51k with interest. The rest is a bunch of loans. Payday, credit card or internet lenders dumb enough to loan out to someone with as many "closed, went to collections" or "written off" marks as she has.

So her end of the debt manages to be 70k, SOMEHOW.  It all went into stupid shit like Pop vinyls and electronic gadgets that I've only started seeing around since, meaning they were being hidden before.

I also strongly suspect she's been sending money to friends and co-workers who were in 'bad situations.'  She did it for her mom when she was alive, despite me pointing out that mom could have gotten a damn job at any point in time. Both have felt they're too good to do low-level retail or wal*mart stuff.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #36339 on: July 29, 2017, 11:27:24 AM

Fuck wasps.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36340 on: July 29, 2017, 02:44:20 PM

I'm pretty clear that one thing that caused our secret money problem is money being sent to wifely relatives who were having medical troubles or who were laid off. I'm not unsympathetic, but I also have a right to know--and if it puts us in a bad money situation, it's just making misery all around.
WayAbvPar

Reply #36341 on: July 29, 2017, 03:09:23 PM

Fuck wasps.

Find a decent non-toxic pest control company and let them go to town. I thought we had 1 or 2 nests last year; first time out the tech found 4 (and got stung for her trouble).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36342 on: July 29, 2017, 03:28:05 PM

That's what we are doing. They are coming on Tuesday.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36343 on: July 29, 2017, 06:36:05 PM

Fuck wasps.

Pro tip: this is not good advice.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #36344 on: July 29, 2017, 08:41:29 PM

I was repainting our windows recently and I noticed that one of them had a storm window slightly ajar. As I got ready to adjust it prior to tackling the painting, I suddenly noticed there was a big ass paper wasp nest right up at the top right behind the narrow opening. (it's a window where we generally leave the curtain closed, so I hadn't noticed.) I probably just missed getting a face full of wasps. I backed off and waited until night and then I sprayed the living shit out of it.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36345 on: July 29, 2017, 10:14:36 PM

Fuck wasps.

True story, up until about two weeks ago, I had never been stung by any of the stingy insects, despite having grown up in the country and spending an inordinate amount of time outdoors. No bees, wasps, hornets, yellowjackets, nothing. I soon after see a big ass nest in a light post we have out front, so I promptly get a can of wasp whoopass and spray them dead. A few nights later, I'm putting the cover over our grill and I feel something burning and pokey on my stomach. I reach down and something's on my stomach so I brush it off. I still felt a little pain but since it was night time I couldn't see very well. I put the cover over the grill and see something brown sitting on the top of the cover but can't see it clearly. I grab it and actually pick it up in my fingers before realizing it's the fucking wasp that just stung me on the stomach. I go inside, grab the can of wasp whoopass and that bitch gets a hose down. The stung area hurt for a bit but I went to bed and I guess I figured out I'm not allergic to wasp stings.

A week or so later, I'm inside downstairs in the morning bent over putting my shoes on to take the dogs outside. I feel another burning stick in my stomach around the waist band and I look at my shorts to see if there's a pine needle or something there sticking me. Hey look, it's another fucking wasp on my goddamn shorts. Knock him off and he gets the shoe about six times.

So yeah, FUUUUUUUCCKKKK wasps.

Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36346 on: July 29, 2017, 10:24:42 PM

Fuck wasps.

Pro tip: this is not good advice.

Not a fan of white Protestant chicks?

why so serious?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #36347 on: July 30, 2017, 04:27:32 AM

Nothing worse than getting stung by something... worst pain I ever had was from a horsefly. It put wasps and bees to shame with intensity and lingering pain. Never again!

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #36348 on: July 30, 2017, 06:49:51 AM

I was repainting our windows recently and I noticed that one of them had a storm window slightly ajar. As I got ready to adjust it prior to tackling the painting, I suddenly noticed there was a big ass paper wasp nest right up at the top right behind the narrow opening. (it's a window where we generally leave the curtain closed, so I hadn't noticed.) I probably just missed getting a face full of wasps. I backed off and waited until night and then I sprayed the living shit out of it.
I went to use the charcoal grill for the first time this year in April and discovered a nest under the cover. That was an unpleasant experience so I can empathize.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #36349 on: July 30, 2017, 07:07:12 AM

Small tip: Once you are fairly sure you have gotten rid of them, get yourself a Fake Wasp Nest (looks something like a Wasp Nest shaped japanese lantern).  You might be able to find them at local hardware stores (I know Home Hardware usually has them available if you are Canadian).  I'm serious.  Most types of paper wasp are apparently very territorial, and they will scout a potential location before setting up a nest, so if you put a Fake Nest out, it tricks them into thinking that the local area is already claimed, and they will go find somewhere else to build.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36350 on: July 31, 2017, 09:51:26 AM

I got my wasp and hornet fighting black belt back in the summer of 89 when I was working road construction. When there weren't enough positions on the road crew, I'd rotate down to the yard. Part gopher, part shit job, stuff the regulars didn't want to do (and I'll do just about anything). One guy got stung so I spent a week just decimating the stingy little bastards. Never got stung once, took out so many nests.

This past spring I took one out of the fiancee's mom's place. Easy-peasy and she was amazed at how thorough I was. It's actually kinda fun, it was a pretty big nest in a void between the stove vent and attic floor. Zero interior penetration, which was my main worry.

I should probably have gone into it professionally, I've removed thousands of nests and haven't been stung since I was in the single digits years old. (cue me getting stung tonight)
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #36351 on: July 31, 2017, 10:54:10 AM

I wanted to be a professional wasp catcher actually. I even applied for the job when I was still in the UK. However in Britain, you have to actually pass a test to get the job. I was fine at the written part, aced that as I usually do with exams but I failed the practical test. I got a B.

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #36352 on: July 31, 2017, 11:28:56 AM

Saw that coming mate.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36353 on: July 31, 2017, 11:44:13 AM

my grandma wasn't able to pay off the debt so she lost the house. 
it's worth $4M today so I don't think I'm gonna be able to catch up to it. 

Let's put this one in the "Dick Move" bucket.  Sorry about that.

I find the idea of non-toxic pest control to be confusing.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #36354 on: July 31, 2017, 01:06:32 PM

When I was a kid my dad eliminated a wasps nest in our front yard using a non-toxic method. Homemade Flamethrower.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36355 on: July 31, 2017, 03:37:23 PM

There is also organic pesticide.  I find this terminology annoying.  My son doesn't play in the yard anyway.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #36356 on: July 31, 2017, 03:40:41 PM

There is also organic pesticide.  I find this terminology annoying.  My son doesn't play in the yard anyway.

From a chemistry perspective, pretty much all modern pesticides are organic.

Which might be what you mean by annoying  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #36357 on: July 31, 2017, 04:05:39 PM

More or less, yes. awesome, for real

I'm the asshole known to say "As opposed to inorganic apples?  Made from... uranium?"

Even wax apples are organic.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36358 on: July 31, 2017, 07:57:35 PM

Organic is literally just a hippie tax.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36359 on: August 01, 2017, 06:42:22 AM

I prefer orgasmic pesticide. Seems like a nicer way to send them off.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #36360 on: August 01, 2017, 07:10:09 AM

I'm just wondering which of the 5 key things it was.
And now we're all wondering what the 5 key things are  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Gambling, Addiction, Medical, Financial Mismanagement/Investment Ignorance, and Divorce.

Usually I put unchecked shopping under addiction, and giving to family or friends under mismanagement/investment.

I used to put Gambling and Addiction together, but they have different consequences and motives in many cases in my mind. However, I threw out one a while ago which was simply "Unreasonable Lifestyle" and filed that one under Mismanagement.

These are basically my Key 5 I've cultivated over time watching clients continually make absurd decision with their money, make over $400k a year, and still end up in debt.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:15:20 AM by Paelos »

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WayAbvPar

Reply #36361 on: August 01, 2017, 01:10:01 PM

I wanted to be a professional wasp catcher actually. I even applied for the job when I was still in the UK. However in Britain, you have to actually pass a test to get the job. I was fine at the written part, aced that as I usually do with exams but I failed the practical test. I got a B.

I can't stop laughing at this. I am not sure what that says about me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #36362 on: August 01, 2017, 04:45:12 PM

Wasps ded. They had taken up residence in the pole to the basketball hoop in addition to a couple satellite nests. Little fuckers.

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #36363 on: August 02, 2017, 04:20:37 PM

And bam, small wasp nest behind the mailbox next to the door. I blame you fuckers.
schild
Administrator

Reply #36364 on: August 02, 2017, 08:04:19 PM

We have wasps poking around our balcony. We're nonetoopleased. They haven't set up camp yet though.
Pages: 1 ... 1037 1038 [1039] 1040 1041 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: