Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:18:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3400908 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35945 on: May 12, 2017, 07:50:24 AM

Behavior might vary depending on if your personal and work accounts are linked -- I'm assuming Sky's are and Merusk's aren't.  There'll probably be a blog post on it soon that I can link to, but the upshot is that people were confused about link behavior and who could see what via a link, so we've been working on redoing it to be more simple/transparent.  I hadn't heard about /personal being part of the URL for links to personal files but I'd hazard an educated guess that that's related to admins of business accounts wanting to be able to limit people sharing work stuff from their personal accounts (since they can't control/audit those).

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #35946 on: May 12, 2017, 08:03:44 AM

problems are why managers exist

That's half of the actual, explicit role for one sort of manager - the scrum-master in agile - and when you get one that follows that path it is great.  They work on removing the problems that stop the productive staff doing their jobs.

Middle-managers (not those directing strategy) who think that their position is in itself inherently valuable are awful to work for.  Every single year at annual review time I resist the invitations and bribes aimed at stopping me doing work and making me spend time managing, instead.  Well, that and the fact that if I have to manage people then I imagine the fact that I spend three days out of five working remotely would become an issue.

My blog: http://endie.net

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35947 on: May 12, 2017, 08:17:59 AM

We should fully armed and operational interstate highways on Monday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICs5ncrcvf0

I had a funny image to share but ... too much effort.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35948 on: May 12, 2017, 09:57:13 AM

Behavior might vary depending on if your personal and work accounts are linked -- I'm assuming Sky's are and Merusk's aren't.  There'll probably be a blog post on it soon that I can link to, but the upshot is that people were confused about link behavior and who could see what via a link, so we've been working on redoing it to be more simple/transparent.  I hadn't heard about /personal being part of the URL for links to personal files but I'd hazard an educated guess that that's related to admins of business accounts wanting to be able to limit people sharing work stuff from their personal accounts (since they can't control/audit those).
Yep, it's not linked, and I misspoke (one of those mornings), I was just talking about my link to get to my temp folder in my personal account. It's where I stash stuff to move between devices (because I don't like installing the app /curmudgeon). Instead of blahblahblah/Public/temp it was blahblahblah/personal/Public/temp. So I assumed more, I guess.

In other news, I like when it takes a corporation a week of inactivity followed by two hours of remote troubleshooting to find out that what I told them was wrong with their device on Monday morning was indeed what was wrong.

I wish I could put up with the corporate nonsense (management and hours) that you guys do. I'm actually pretty good at this stuff, especially when you consider I've had almost no training and few resources at my disposal...and I'm the only person, so nobody to spitball ideas with. The money would be nice. But yeah, nah. 35 hour weeks, 4 minute commute and state retirement is fine, thanks :)
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #35949 on: May 12, 2017, 10:24:41 AM

All the annoyances of image hosting sites make me feel my $200/yr for my website that I fully control is well spent. No random link changes unless I make them happen...

And managers... my new manager has apparently decided that I need to be responsible for all of the maintenance coordination and technician coordination. Fine, but every time there's a problem and I need his assistance it's "that's your responsibility now." Problem with a tech not doing their job? "You figure it out." So instead of having a relatively easy job to get away from being the sole responsible engineering manager, I'm back doing that job again without any of the perks of being a manager. And constantly criticized for "not doing it the best way" since I like to get results over focusing on methods and filling out loads of paperwork. At least the money and retirement package are good...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35950 on: May 12, 2017, 11:17:41 AM

I wish I could put up with the corporate nonsense (management and hours) that you guys do. I'm actually pretty good at this stuff, especially when you consider I've had almost no training and few resources at my disposal...and I'm the only person, so nobody to spitball ideas with. The money would be nice. But yeah, nah. 35 hour weeks, 4 minute commute and state retirement is fine, thanks :)

I don't know, what you described sounds exactly like 90% of the IT departments in the corps I've worked for. The only guys who had actual degrees were at my last Architecture firm and this one where I'm in a technology firm.

We never did more than 43 hours unless there was a major problem, too.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #35951 on: May 12, 2017, 11:29:39 AM

Still 8 hours more, though we don't count our hour lunches (which I can take at home, see 4 min commute). But the real kicker is the pension. Ain't nobody got no pensions no mo. I'll actually make more for the first few years I retire, because of the tax bennies. Only 13 years left on the clock...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35952 on: May 12, 2017, 12:04:50 PM

You're right on the pensions but you're making two assumptions I wouldn't.

1) That libraries will continue to be funded for the next 13 years or local government won't decide you're best replaced by a contractor.
2) That the pension will still exist instead of being defunded/ dissolved by a shitty legislature.

I'll be jealous if you make it, though.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #35953 on: May 12, 2017, 02:07:17 PM

It's the bed I've made. Aware of both.

#1 isn't a big deal, I'd just have to find another job in the state system, which is manned by retarded monkeys. Several failed the cheesy Security+ I aced without actually using most of that stuff. And luckily, we're a private entity, so the politicians can't mess with us other than defunding. A definite possibility, but we're close to being a third rail and more busy now than ever, as the government finds us a cheap and convenient place to offload services as they screw over the needy in more acceptable ways.

New York is actually pretty strong as a state gubmint, and Cuomo is trying to poise himself as a liberal candidate for president, so we're reaping the benefits of an oddly progressive period in a fairly conservative state.

On the third hand, my house is paid off and my taxes are minimal, so I could actually retire tomorrow and work part-time for gin money. Instead of buying a house with my fiancee, we're dumping our "mortgage payments" into savings and investments. We'll either keep both our houses, sell one and downsize, or sell both and buy another house with cash and skip the debt, fees and interest.

Seriously, fuck debt, it makes you into a slave.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #35954 on: May 12, 2017, 02:07:35 PM

Still 8 hours more, though we don't count our hour lunches (which I can take at home, see 4 min commute). But the real kicker is the pension. Ain't nobody got no pensions no mo. I'll actually make more for the first few years I retire, because of the tax bennies. Only 13 years left on the clock...

I work from home three days a week, so I got your four minute commute as well for most of the time, and I sure as fuck made sure I have a pension: they currently pay 25% on top of my salary, before tax, into my pension, and that rises by 5% every five years.  So some of us have pensions and, like you, I'm counting down the years (five behind you, though).

And, a two-hour lunch today at a nice Cali restaurant with a superb wine list, today: you just have to make the commuting days work for you.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:10:17 PM by Endie »

Twitter - Endieposts

"What else would one expect of Scottish sociopaths sipping their single malt Glenlivit [sic]?" Jack Thompson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #35955 on: May 12, 2017, 09:29:02 PM

I could work with that  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #35956 on: May 14, 2017, 09:49:07 AM

Just learned the french equivlqant of Having your cake and Eating it too:

Le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le cul de la crémière

(To have) the butter, the butter money and the ass of the milkmaid

Seems to be superior ambition in life than "You have free wishes in life! What do you want"  "uhh eat cake?"  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Edit: As an aside, I missed the eurovsion song contest, heard it had quite a few unique performances...  huh

« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 10:02:02 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #35957 on: May 14, 2017, 10:36:34 AM

I work from home three days a week, so I got your four minute commute as well for most of the time, and I sure as fuck made sure I have a pension: they currently pay 25% on top of my salary, before tax, into my pension, and that rises by 5% every five years.  So some of us have pensions and, like you, I'm counting down the years (five behind you, though).

And, a two-hour lunch today at a nice Cali restaurant with a superb wine list, today: you just have to make the commuting days work for you.

Wow. What kind of company do you work for, in what country?

Payments into 401ks are the only thing I've heard of being offered unless one works for the government (in California). I haven't paid much attention lately though to compensation packages.
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #35958 on: May 15, 2017, 08:04:49 AM

Le beurre, l'argent du beurre et le cul de la crémière

(To have) the butter, the butter money and the ass of the milkmaid

I'm going to have to start using that! Time to get my French r's down ..

- Viin
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35959 on: May 19, 2017, 08:15:01 AM

That's half of the actual, explicit role for one sort of manager - the scrum-master in agile - and when you get one that follows that path it is great.  They work on removing the problems that stop the productive staff doing their jobs.

Middle-managers (not those directing strategy) who think that their position is in itself inherently valuable are awful to work for.  Every single year at annual review time I resist the invitations and bribes aimed at stopping me doing work and making me spend time managing, instead.  Well, that and the fact that if I have to manage people then I imagine the fact that I spend three days out of five working remotely would become an issue.

Middle management is generally thankless, which is fine if you get the right person in there who can deal with taking shit from both ends and managing not to lose their minds. Those people usually don't stay in middle-management long. It's the middle-management type that believes their job is to run a fiefdom where you get problems. I was there for a while, and I'm recently in a CFO rank now. The major difference? I have absolutely no time to do the day-to-day of my prior job anymore because I'm troubleshooting from the moment I get to the office to the moment I leave. People constantly need something to operate. People generally do not want to make decisions for themselves because they are afraid of taking the blame. So you have to empower people that show they can handle decision-making, and let the people who just want to grind on data, grind away.

Management is leadership, and it's not a born skill for most people. You have to learn how to do it by lots of trial and error, and you have to create a culture in your area that let's people do what they do best to reach goals. Not everyone is the same, and no management book can tell you how to manage your unique brand of pirates on your ship.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35960 on: May 19, 2017, 08:57:42 AM

It also depends on your specific profession, as well.

What you just described as a CFO is also 90% of what an Architectural Project Manager does at an Arch firm (or the CFO at larger firms, yes.) More than once in my career I've heard colleagues complain, "Man I just want to draw /design." My response has always been, "Then take the demotion or work smaller projects. This is what you signed-up for." 

It's like the Principals & Partners (C level execs) at the firm complaining they do business meetings, presentations and client gladhanding all day, or Directors complaining they're more focused on the meta-direction of the firm than the actual project work. That's the role.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #35961 on: May 19, 2017, 10:32:19 AM

Exactly, the job is people. At some point when you advance high enough, you're entirely focused on directing people to do the jobs you hand them and troubleshooting the issues. That's the job.

It doesn't matter if you started in a tax department, an IT office, or an architect's drawing table. Eventually that all changes because other people can handle all that. What they can't handle is making decisions, delegating, facilitating, and leading. Mostly because in 90% of the cases, they hate doing all that and just want to work on XYZ projects.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #35962 on: May 20, 2017, 12:03:26 AM

Middle-managers (not those directing strategy) who think that their position is in itself inherently valuable are awful to work for. 

I have experience the "Managers are why problems exist" scenario with scary frequency lately.  I am at the no tolerance point where I just want managers to point me at the business need that needs solving then get themselves and every other highly opinionated skill-less fuck out of my way so I can get it done and move on.  People who inject their grubby fingers into the pie and contribute nothing (or negatively) just so they can stroke their own fucking ego about how they were part of the project can blow me.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #35963 on: May 20, 2017, 03:14:15 AM

The main problem with all kinds of middle management, in my view, is that this is the career progression for most people, skilled or otherwise.  What it means is that people can become experts in a certain area, and the next step up is management.  Nothing about the expertise gained guarantees any sort of competency at management.  Being good at something doesn't remotely qualify anyone to be a manager, and yet that is how most of them get there.

What's worse is that from that pool, the most ambitious sociopaths are the ones who make it to senior level management.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #35964 on: May 20, 2017, 01:22:50 PM

So random question: I've got a passively vented ridge roof. If I suspect the air flow isn't what it's supposed to be, who the heck do I have to check that? Roofers, maybe?

I don't think it's vented properly at the soffit, so I'd like it checked. It's not like I can go up there and say "Feels all right to me".
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #35965 on: May 20, 2017, 01:30:44 PM

So random question: I've got a passively vented ridge roof. If I suspect the air flow isn't what it's supposed to be, who the heck do I have to check that? Roofers, maybe?

I don't think it's vented properly at the soffit, so I'd like it checked. It's not like I can go up there and say "Feels all right to me".

Yep, roofers.

They're going to tell you you need more ventilation. They always do.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35966 on: May 20, 2017, 01:49:34 PM

It's a simple calculation. 1sf of vent for every 150 sq ft of attic area. Find your attic area and divide by 150, that's the total vent area you need. More than that can cause problems like letting moisture or sparks or debris into the attic space.

You then want to balance this out, half on the soffits and half on the ridge. If you have no soffit vents then you're not really venting shit. If you can't get it exact, you put more on the soffit than the ridge so you aren't sucking in moisture. The chimney effect takes over from there.

The tricky part is knowing how many SF your existing ridge or soffit vents supply. (unless said soffit vents are just holes in the material with mesh over them, then it's just LxW) Since it's already in place you have no way of knowing unless you can find the MFR info and Google it, but that requires stripping some of the ridge off.

Article for Homeowners:
https://www.todayshomeowner.com/adding-soffit-vents/

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35967 on: May 20, 2017, 02:06:31 PM

This is like Déjà vu all over again, you guys! Last night I had a nightmare involving roofs and roofers!   ACK! ACK! ACK! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #35968 on: May 20, 2017, 02:37:54 PM

When we had our roof redone, several of the bids were from companies that recommended against ridge vents--apparently they do a lot of business fixing the damage caused by badly-installed ridge vents. They both said that a lot of roofers will intentionally or otherwise crimp them during the installation process, blocking off most of the airflow. In this area, that means pretty much instant attic mold at best.

If you have an insulated attic, watch out for soffits that have been blocked off by the insulation.

Across all the roofers, the quotes with ridge vents were a lot higher than quotes for cutting old-style capped vents.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35969 on: May 20, 2017, 03:00:39 PM

Vents are code-required every place I've ever built because lack of circulation means mold. Vents are there to shunt the moisture that migrates from the habitable spaces and only uninhabited areas like porches or areas below a certain sq. footage (I forget how small) don't require them.

I've built in OH, IN, TX, VA, IL, KY, and SC. They all required roof vents, so I have no idea why those contractors would recommend against it unless they were also planning on not getting a permit.

Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #35970 on: May 20, 2017, 03:22:10 PM

Roof ventilation is code-required here as well. The issue was with the ridge vents (the kind where they cut a long, narrow hole along the very peak of the roof and then cap it), not roof vents in general. The ridge vent caps were susceptible to being crimped or bent closed (and hence blocking airflow) according to the two companies recommending against them. They "look nicer" than the older capped vents ("static" or "box" vents, maybe?).
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #35971 on: May 21, 2017, 05:27:26 AM

I'm removing the roof of my property in mid-July.  I was up in the loft last night doing some wiring work and I must have been able to hear the residents of at least five nests chirping and squabbling away.  I am seriously not looking forward to starting lifting the tiles and finding nest after nest to deal with :(

Twitter - Endieposts

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #35972 on: May 21, 2017, 08:16:43 AM

We are halfway through a $6000 roof rat expulsion. We had the cherry trees removed last fall that the rats were using for food and once their food supply was removed they started dying off in the attic. They were also getting more adventurous through the house. I had no idea they were even up there until one died - our attic access is barely big enough for me to fit.

We had the insulation removed a few months ago and now we're getting ready to put new insulation in. The insulation group noticed our 1928 house doesn't have enough ventilation, so they're putting new bathroom fan vents to the roof, along with four extra soffits and two caps. Upside will be the r-49 and stronger bathroom fan which should help move air through the house a bit better.

Next step, new windows for the entire house. Ouch.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #35973 on: May 21, 2017, 09:34:41 AM

Problem is I've got siding. Which covers the soffit. (Soffit being just plywood with the siding over it). So I have no idea how many vents I have under the soffit, if any. Not without removing siding all around the house.

It's always freaking humid in my house though, more than it should be.
Endie
Terracotta Army

Reply #35974 on: May 22, 2017, 12:16:45 PM

We are halfway through a $6000 roof rat expulsion. We had the cherry trees removed last fall that the rats were using for food and once their food supply was removed they started dying off in the attic. They were also getting more adventurous through the house. I had no idea they were even up there until one died - our attic access is barely big enough for me to fit.

We had the insulation removed a few months ago and now we're getting ready to put new insulation in. The insulation group noticed our 1928 house doesn't have enough ventilation, so they're putting new bathroom fan vents to the roof, along with four extra soffits and two caps. Upside will be the r-49 and stronger bathroom fan which should help move air through the house a bit better.

Next step, new windows for the entire house. Ouch.

Dad and I just made new windows for the entire house, including those for the second storey we're adding and additional ones (to give triple glazing) for the existing, ground floor ones.  Making windows is a hella long job, even with the proper tooling ready to go, but it was amazing taking rough oak with the bark on it and turning it first into planks then into working windows.  I truly hate fitting the locking mechanisms, though: those take forever each time.

On the rats thing ours never get to the cherries, and neither do we since the birds strip them in a day or two, but I have to be careful each autumn to clear the windfall from the apple trees in the orchard because otherwise the rat population explodes then they move inside for the winter.  I then poison them and they start to smell in the spring.

Twitter - Endieposts

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35975 on: May 22, 2017, 03:33:35 PM

I have a raft of cats which are effective at keeping most everything smaller than a cat out of my house.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35976 on: May 22, 2017, 04:14:20 PM

I've got a raccoon digging up my pond plants and am considering getting a mountain lion to keep it at bay.

Designed the pond setup with the theory that the plants would be protected from raccoons by a moat, but apparently a 2ft moat is not wide enough to keep this monster out (I got him on video, he's huge).  I suspect I won't be able to keep him out of the yard so I'm starting to sketch ideas for redesigning the planting setup to make it more secure.  Blergh.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #35977 on: May 22, 2017, 04:28:15 PM

I've got a raccoon digging up my pond plants and am considering getting a mountain lion to keep it at bay.

Designed the pond setup with the theory that the plants would be protected from raccoons by a moat, but apparently a 2ft moat is not wide enough to keep this monster out (I got him on video, he's huge).  I suspect I won't be able to keep him out of the yard so I'm starting to sketch ideas for redesigning the planting setup to make it more secure.  Blergh.

I assume that discharging a .22 rifle in your yard would be frowned upon by the locals?  If not, I see an easy fix.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35978 on: May 22, 2017, 04:37:50 PM

I assume that discharging a .22 rifle in your yard would be frowned upon by the locals?  If not, I see an easy fix.

I briefly considered the option of buying raccoon traps and then beating the beast to death with a shovel.  Aside from the legal aspects of this (I'm pretty sure it's against city and/or state law to kill wildlife without a permit), there are a LOT of raccoons in my neighborhood and I can't spend the rest of my life murdering them and disposing of their carcasses.

Electric fence is unworkable because my yard is small and densely planted.

I did order a sonic repellant off Amazon that I'm going to experiment with once it arrives, but I don't have super high hopes for it.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #35979 on: May 22, 2017, 04:46:31 PM

I briefly considered the option of buying raccoon traps and then beating the beast to death with a shovel.  Aside from the legal aspects of this (I'm pretty sure it's against city and/or state law to kill wildlife without a permit), there are a LOT of raccoons in my neighborhood and I can't spend the rest of my life murdering them and disposing of their carcasses.

Electric fence is unworkable because my yard is small and densely planted.

I did order a sonic repellant off Amazon that I'm going to experiment with once it arrives, but I don't have super high hopes for it.

Sorry to hear - it may be my latent redneck coming out, but I think that a Saturday spent shooting trash pandas would be a not-shitty way to kill time.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Pages: 1 ... 1026 1027 [1028] 1029 1030 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: