Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:29:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1141 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Conversation  (Read 3394251 times)
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35700 on: March 13, 2017, 02:19:31 PM

Except the conversion isn't the difficult part. It's remembering, "Oh yeah, I can't have an UTC 13:00 meeting (8am EST) because that's UTC 10:00 in California and those fuckers are still asleep."

UTC 13:00 in Ohio is still UTC 13:00 in California, which is the whole point.  Your meeting is 13:00 UTC both places; it just happens that in one of those places business hours are 16:00-04:00 instead of 13:00-01:00, so if you're scheduling meetings between the offices you'll want to do it during the 16:00-01:00 overlap.  This is not a complex thing to keep track of; you can already have different offices/businesses that keep different hours even if they're in the same time zone.  Removing time zones makes it one less thing to track.

The calendar date changing in the middle of the solar day is a flaw, I admit.  Makes language like "yesterday" and "tomorrow" a little confusing.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Torinak
Terracotta Army

Reply #35701 on: March 13, 2017, 02:59:38 PM

There's an obvious solution: Metric Time1. Once in common usage, so much becomes clear.
"Hey, wait a quinto!" is just so much smoother than "Hey, wait a second!" And who could forget that cute little lizard's slogan, "10.41 millidays could save you 15% or more on car insurance"? Or getting new prescription glasses in about 4.167 centidays?

Metric Time even solves the time zone problem!2

[1]Metric Time has no relation to Timecube. I think.
[2]Two proposals: (1) Create new Metric Time Zones, or (2) Leave things as they are.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35702 on: March 13, 2017, 03:19:48 PM

Except the conversion isn't the difficult part. It's remembering, "Oh yeah, I can't have an UTC 13:00 meeting (8am EST) because that's UTC 10:00 in California and those fuckers are still asleep."

UTC 13:00 in Ohio is still UTC 13:00 in California, which is the whole point.  Your meeting is 13:00 UTC both places; it just happens that in one of those places business hours are 16:00-04:00 instead of 13:00-01:00, so if you're scheduling meetings between the offices you'll want to do it during the 16:00-01:00 overlap.  This is not a complex thing to keep track of; you can already have different offices/businesses that keep different hours even if they're in the same time zone.  Removing time zones makes it one less thing to track.

Right I confused myself with the explanation. Point being the flaw is still humans not remembering to only schedule in the overlap.

Also completely ignoring the headache of trying to schedule a Pacific/ East/ European meeting. Someone's staying the fuck awake or, like most businesses, someone's getting left out of the loop.

It's really only a problem the tech sector and finance deals with. Fuck both those guys.   why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #35703 on: March 13, 2017, 05:09:50 PM

Remember, time is really a cube, if we all use cubic time everything will be in harmony.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #35704 on: March 13, 2017, 11:40:10 PM

I fucking love moving the clock forward in the spring.  Conversely, I fucking hate it in the fall.  These cancel each other out, leaving me largely ambivalent to the whole thing.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35705 on: March 14, 2017, 07:33:57 AM

I'll give you one real-world example that many of us can probably relate to -- coordinating a goddamn raid in a MMO when everyone is in a different timezone.   why so serious?

You have a surprising definition of real-world.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #35706 on: March 14, 2017, 07:51:39 AM

Remember, time is really a cube, if we all use cubic time everything will be in harmony.
This makes more sense than the last page.  swamp poop
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #35707 on: March 14, 2017, 09:55:52 AM

No love for Daylight Savings here.

In other news, Trump is coming to Nashville tomorrow.  Theoretically to express admiration for Andrew Jackson.

All politics aside, traffic is going to be an absolute shitshow all damn day.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35708 on: March 14, 2017, 09:57:44 AM

He'll give you the best traffic. Tremendous.  why so serious?

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #35709 on: March 15, 2017, 10:58:47 AM

So after six+ months arguing with his insurance company (including 4+ doctors all pushing for it) my brother finally gets his PET scan to check out the "it's probably scar tissue" spot over his lung, the one question mark after his Hodgkin's treatment last year.

It's not scar tissue.

It's tiny, the PET scan says it's cancer, the doctor looking at it says "Looks like cancer" (Hodgkin's of course, just a bit not dead from chemo + radiation), but given as it's nestled right up against his aorta nobody's going to biopsy it.

So the plan is to let it grow a bit, getting a chest CT every two months or so, then pull it when it's a little bigger and easier to handle. Which means my suddenly very overweight brother with the breathing problems due to still-healing lungs from radiation and a year+ of pneumonia and other complications, gets to have his chest cracked open. I'm not certain where they're gonna use the rib spreader, just that it's going to be in use. (I'm hoping they won't have to open his sternum, but....fuck, they probably will).

At least he's 39 and fat and not 69 and fat, and it's not going to be "Oh shit, emergency" like he got shot.

Still, he's not really thrilled about the idea of having his ribs spread open so the doctor can yank out something to close to his aorta to biopsy. (Although I get that logic. Nicking the aorta is a big problem, but it's less of one if he's flayed open and you're already in there than if you do it with a tiny needle through his closed up chest).

And I keep thinking: Operable beats inoperable, but he could use a break.

(Did I mention that one reason he spent so much time after his radiation with constant lung infections is it turned out he was working in a building riddled with black mold? So...not optimum for healing)
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #35710 on: March 15, 2017, 11:10:15 AM

Can't he sue the owner of the building? Working with black mold can't be legal can it?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #35711 on: March 15, 2017, 11:43:31 AM

He could and should!

- Viin
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #35712 on: March 15, 2017, 01:43:08 PM

Can't he sue the owner of the building? Working with black mold can't be legal can it?
He could, but it's a good way to get blackballed from a career he rather likes. As it didn't cause his cancer, just like six months of lung infections, the amount he'd get is pretty small.

Anyways, got a few more details over lunch: The tumor is tiny. REALLY tiny -- under a mm, and it's buried in all that post-radiation scar tissue. It's right on top of his lymph node. That's why they're letting it grow, so the surgeon can find it (it's hard to image even with CT scans because of all the scar tissue, which means surgery is going to be a lot of poking to find it.). It's super slow growing, so they're not even reimaging him for another two months.

I think the surgery is from the side (hopefully no sternum cracking) and will be at least a two month recovery. It probably won't be for at least six months, so we're trying to use the intervening time to get him to stop drinking (he'd lose 10% of his bodyweight just off of that) so much and walk a bit more. He's really limited in exercise options running on 50% lung capacity, and sadly the lung this is on top of is his GOOD lung. So any complications there are going to be a real PITA. (The bad lung isn't really that bad, he's got diaphragm nerve damage that's slowly healing on that side, so breathing in he doesn't get air in equal doses in each lung).

Still: Operable beats the alternative.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35713 on: March 16, 2017, 07:52:57 AM

He'll give you the best traffic. Tremendous.  why so serious?

+1

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Father mike
Terracotta Army

Reply #35714 on: March 16, 2017, 08:09:24 AM

It ... wasn't as bad as I'd expected.  The motorcade stayed well east of most of my destinations.  Saw some truly horrific backups going the opposite direction (toward downtown and the airport).  Also, local colleges are on spring break, so that eliminated a good many folks from the mix.

I would like to thank Vladimir Putin for ensuring that every member of the NPR news staff has had to say "Pussy Riot" on the air multiple times.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35715 on: March 16, 2017, 08:49:04 AM

Resisting the urge to talk about ATL traffic.... why so serious?

But I did just find out why it took me an hour instead of 20 minutes to pick up the boy yesterday:
http://www.ajc.com/news/traffic/crash-northbound-cobb-causes-major-delays/0DoLnzr75WUzQgwVHeyxXN/
« Last Edit: March 16, 2017, 08:50:58 AM by Yegolev »

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #35716 on: March 16, 2017, 09:22:54 AM

I will not miss the perimiter/connector/all the other shit roads in Atlanta one bit. I will miss the Vortex and Farmer's Market.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #35717 on: March 16, 2017, 11:47:49 AM

I have no idea when you left, but it is worse now.  Especially anywhere within five miles of SunTrust Park.  Too bad I'm stuck here.

BUT - The ATL isn't even in the top ten worst cities for traffic.

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #35718 on: March 16, 2017, 03:29:52 PM

It's gotten worse every year over the last 27 years I did the fair there, to the point it's in the top 3 of bad traffic where I have to go. I'm switching to a weekly commute from Kansas City to Muskogee, Ok for that time of year instead.

And I think it'll be an improvement.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #35719 on: March 17, 2017, 07:30:50 AM

Be careful, they don't smoke marijuana there.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #35720 on: March 17, 2017, 12:48:57 PM

Neither do I so it should be fine.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #35721 on: March 17, 2017, 03:54:12 PM

What about leather boots?  Do you wear them?  They are so manly! 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #35722 on: March 19, 2017, 11:25:20 AM

Is there some particular reason why the half the population of France seems to be in London this week?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #35723 on: March 19, 2017, 01:25:03 PM

Is there some particular reason why the half the population of France seems to be in London this week?

You took the wrong flight and ended up in Lyon?

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #35724 on: March 19, 2017, 02:58:31 PM

Paging jakonovski:

Please explain the Finnish "Noni"

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #35725 on: March 19, 2017, 04:22:49 PM

That's a short version of "no niin". It's one of those multipurpose phrases, like "well then" or "all right". Naturally the meaning can change depending on the tone in which it's said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EWMlCusxjQ&t=1m40s

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #35726 on: March 24, 2017, 12:58:03 AM

I discovered today that Wendy's has discontinued my favorite mechanically-separated chicken item, the spicy nugget.  Combined with GOP control over everything, I may have lost the will to live.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #35727 on: March 24, 2017, 03:41:54 AM

The spicy chicken sandwich is pretty good so long was you tell them no mayo.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #35728 on: March 24, 2017, 05:14:32 AM

The spicy chicken sandwich is pretty good so long was you tell them no mayo.
Agreed, although I hold the tomato too.

I never really liked the spicy nuggets; they weren't spicy enough for me on their own, and didn't taste good with BBQ sauce like the regular nuggets do.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #35729 on: March 24, 2017, 07:30:20 AM

I discovered today that Wendy's has discontinued my favorite mechanically-separated chicken item, the spicy nugget.  Combined with GOP control over everything, I may have lost the will to live.

More reason to switch to a diet of 90% whiskey?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #35730 on: March 24, 2017, 07:35:36 AM

But the nuggets were the other 10%.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #35731 on: March 29, 2017, 06:52:53 AM

Oh, snap...dropbox sent me a survey.

The fields have been salted and are burning. Fuck those assholes.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #35732 on: March 29, 2017, 08:33:44 AM

Oo what'd we ask you?   why so serious?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #35733 on: March 29, 2017, 08:41:01 AM

"On a scale of the 1 to 5 rate whether or not you would recommend Dropbox to other people with 1 being 'Definitely wouldn't recommend' and 5 being 'Definitely recommend'"

"-∞ HELL THE FUCK NO"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #35734 on: March 29, 2017, 08:49:23 AM

Oo what'd we ask you?   why so serious?
It wasn't "would you like your Public folder links to work again?"

Regardless, that ship has sailed. So even if it was reinstated, I've been moving my stuff to a private host. Would be nice for old images to work again, but meh.

Dropbox's name is shit amongst artists right now, but my guess is goodwill and word-of-mouth (previously I couldn't say enough good things about DB) doesn't matter compared to corporate clients.
Pages: 1 ... 1019 1020 [1021] 1022 1023 ... 1141 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Conversation  
Jump to: