Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:48:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Heath Ledger to play the Joker 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Heath Ledger to play the Joker  (Read 33685 times)
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: August 08, 2006, 02:59:31 AM

You're a bit late to the party.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #36 on: August 08, 2006, 03:09:34 AM

The only problem with Neeson is that he's cast in too much stuff. He's everywhere. That's why he's boring to some people.

But then again, there's a reason why he's cast so much.

Also, just because Nolan did well the first time around doesn't mean he has a better idea than me about Batman. He just happens to be the first director who paid closer attention to the source material. That doesn't mean he's a better authority than me or anyone else though. I can still talk about the shit. I can still have an opinion.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: August 08, 2006, 03:20:43 AM

Hmm, I can think of 3 roles, tho, thats seen Neeson play the exact same character.  That's not really because he's cast too much, but more to do with his typecasting and performance issues.

Aslan, Jinn and Ras are all pretty much the same phoned in, mentoring, 'mind your surroundings' bullshit.  Hell, even in GoNY he had the same kinda scene.

Don't get me wrong, the boy can act - but I wish that he would get cast in more passionate roles.  He's better at that.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #38 on: August 08, 2006, 03:56:02 AM

That I'll agree on. Quite a few mentor roles.....But I like him either way.

He did do Kinsey recently as well though, which is fantastic.
agathon
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: August 08, 2006, 06:01:02 AM

I liked him in Rob Roy.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: August 08, 2006, 09:22:46 AM

Are you any relation to Agaton Sax and did you ever defeat the League of Silent Exploders ?

agathon
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: August 08, 2006, 10:03:27 AM

Wow. I had never heard of Agaton Sax, but now I wish I had. A guy who smokes a meerschaum and knows underwater jujitsu could totally kick aquaman's ass.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #42 on: May 21, 2007, 10:29:09 PM

First pic of Heath Ledger as The Joker:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20534
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: May 22, 2007, 01:04:33 AM

Oh God, Trippy, Why ?

Just to add more clarity :  They're going to have to build a really good film around THAT to interest me.  I'm not saying they can't.  But....
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 02:08:28 AM by Ironwood »

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 01:41:16 AM

First pic of Heath Ledger as The Joker:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=20534

For a second there when I saw that pic, I thought maybe Boy George was starring in the next Crow movie.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: May 22, 2007, 08:15:29 AM

Clownshoes.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #46 on: May 22, 2007, 08:30:35 AM

I think you people are jumping the gun here. Everyone is hoping for a dark, realistic, and insane Joker. That doesn't go hand in hand with a slick Pompador and a pruple suit. I see some real possibilities in that picture.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #47 on: May 22, 2007, 08:32:47 AM

I agree with Bunk.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: May 22, 2007, 08:40:00 AM

It looks like they're playing up the disfiguring accident aspect of the Joker's origin, what with the apparent scarring and everything.  Really, just based on look, I'm not discouraged at all.  The discouraging thing for me is that I just don't think Heath Ledger can pull it off.  ESPECIALLY if they're going to have someone somehow disfigured and then painted over, they could have gotten someone with better acting ability.  Between the paint and scars, Heath can't use his looks, and from anything I've seen him in, that's pretty much all he has. 
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #49 on: May 22, 2007, 09:09:29 AM

Heath Ledger is more than a mimbo. I think he can pull it off. As for the picture, I think it's perfectly in keeping with Nolan's style for Batman. He made the fucking Scarecrow actually scary, do not discount what he can do with the Joker, a character who IS in fact scary.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 22, 2007, 09:14:39 AM

Cillian Murphy mostly made the Scarecrow scary, in fairness.  The guy is really outright creepy.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: May 22, 2007, 11:41:44 AM

You know who would be a great joker... That guy from American Psycho.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #52 on: May 22, 2007, 12:08:12 PM

Well-played, nerd.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: May 22, 2007, 02:01:10 PM

I just wanted to add.

Batman begins is the only HD-DVD I have purchased. At somewhere around the 4th viewing Katie Holmes actually becomes ok.

I find myself agreeing with Ironwood on his observations.

WayAbvPar

Reply #54 on: May 22, 2007, 02:20:55 PM

I said to the wife five minutes after I left the theatre for Batman Begins "It's a fucking shame Cillian was in that."  She looked at me strange and said "I thought he was brilliant and creepy."

"He was.  He'd have made a stunning Joker."

I said pretty much the exact same thing to my wife. He was creepy, and his cheekbones/smile were PERFECT for the Joker. I kept expecting them to turn him into the Joker, in fact- canon be damned.

I like the pic of Ledger as the Joker. That is not some campy, Prince-dancing mockery. It is a picture of a deeply disturbed psychopath. It gives me even more hope for this flick.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #55 on: May 22, 2007, 07:37:32 PM

Heath Ledger will be fine, he's actually been pretty good in most of the stuff I've seen him in. If he could do the job he did in Brokeback Mountain he can handle The Joker.

Also, Jack Nicholson is horrible in anything he's ever done. He's played the same character for 40, regardless of wether it's the right character or not. He's one of the world's worst actors, and when people say anything positive about him it's a giant red flag do disregard anything else they have to say about movies. People who think he's good are either lying because they feel they have to or have the taste and class of a high school wrestler.

And I realize it's a year too late, but all of you stop arguing about movies with a guy who thinks Tom Cruise is the world's best actor and that Top Gun was one of the best movies ever made. It might rub off on you.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
schild
Administrator

Reply #56 on: May 22, 2007, 08:08:23 PM

Best joker ever.

That's serious shit.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 22, 2007, 08:43:52 PM

I'm on my tiptoes trying to wrap my mind around who Anthony Michael Hall will be playing in the movie.  Farmer Ted as David Cain, or maybe Clayface?
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: May 22, 2007, 08:50:51 PM

Who's farmer Ted's daughter is the important question.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #59 on: May 22, 2007, 09:52:13 PM

HIGHWAY TO THE DANGERZONE!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #60 on: May 23, 2007, 01:20:50 PM

You know who would be a great joker... That guy from American Psycho.

Hee hee.  Afraid he's got other plans.

Ledger can act.

Oh, right... I don't post in here.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: May 24, 2007, 12:26:30 AM

Why not ?

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: May 24, 2007, 12:34:25 AM

When your writer/producer/director credits run: 'Memento', 'Insomnia', 'Batman Begins', 'The Prestige'; you get to cast whomever the fuck you want without criticism from me.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: May 24, 2007, 05:03:34 AM

When your writer/producer/director credits run: 'Following', 'Memento', 'Insomnia', 'Batman Begins', 'The Prestige'; you get to cast whomever the fuck you want without criticism from me.

Fixed.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: August 27, 2007, 02:15:27 AM

My point was that even the best of actors can royally fuck up when they are given no direction or, worse, the wrong direction.  I would say that Katie Holmes, though a woman who should be shot in the head and left in a ditch, turned in no better or worse performance than Neeson or 'Falcone'.  The reason she seemed odd and out of place is because YET AGAIN they tried to shoe-horn in a love interest which, let's be honest, DOES NOT FIT in Batman's world.  Women just have little or no place there.

"Justice League" did it right when Diana was trying to talk Batman into date and he replies with something like, "You're an immortal warrior and I'm a rich kid with issues, lots of issues."

Damn, I wish Timm and company would get put in charge of a live action movie.  Maybe Green lantern?  That would be badass.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: August 27, 2007, 03:47:16 PM

Katie Holmes is awful. What was that movie, "Telephone" or "Telephone Booth" or whatever with Colin Ferrel? God she was cringe-inducing in that one.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #66 on: August 27, 2007, 03:53:24 PM

Katie Holmes is awful. What was that movie, "Telephone" or "Telephone Booth" or whatever with Colin Ferrel? God she was cringe-inducing in that one.

Phone Booth

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: August 27, 2007, 04:14:43 PM

She's cringe inducing in everything she's in. She's like Anna Faris' ugly, younger, somehow less-talented sister.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: August 29, 2007, 02:27:59 PM

Aww I like Anna Faris.. I think she's pretty cute and at least decent in comedies... mind you she's been in a lot of bad ones.  However she was in Waiting.  :)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #69 on: August 29, 2007, 09:52:13 PM

Phone Booth

She was in that movie for about 60 seconds. But then, I found the entire movie to be completely ordinary.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Heath Ledger to play the Joker  
Jump to: