Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Cryptic is Making a New Game... With Marvel 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cryptic is Making a New Game... With Marvel  (Read 19423 times)
ForumBot 0.8 beta
Terracotta Army

on: July 24, 2006, 12:51:58 AM

Cryptic is Making a New Game... With Marvel

I suppose I can let the secret out of the bag. But before I do that, I'd like to address Gamespot: F13.net is not a fansite. Schild is my real name, not a clever online handle. Now that that's out of the way I can jump into the real meat:

Once upon a time, Cryptic and NCSoft made this MMOG - City of Heroes. Oh, City of Villains too. But Marvel REALLY didn't like City of Heroes. See, anyone asshole on the internet could become Wolverine and they couldn't get a dollar. It's true. They could. But then, how many generic variations on "crap super hero suit" can you have? It's not Cryptic's fault they took Marvel's amazing yellow and blue color scheme. So Marvel sued Cryptic. The result of that case is unimportant. What's important is they weren't exactly "good buddies." So then Microsoft started work on the Marvel MMOG while some other house (SOE w/ their brand spanking new Unreal 3 engine) worked on the DC comics MMOG. Now, here's where things get a wee bit sticky for me. NCSoft has procured PS3 dev kits. Ok, whatever. Experimentation. Let's chalk it up to that. I don't see Sony letting both the DC Comics and Marvel games come out on their platform. Or maybe they are.

Is it an MMOG? I don't know of many companies that enjoy complete and total market cannibalization. Which is exactly what this would be... However, Cryptic & NCSoft aren't exactly in bed the same way Vivendi & Blizzard are right now. See, Vivendi calls all the shots for Blizzard (Yes, I'm adding more fuel to that fire). I'm not aware of NCSoft calling all the shots for Cryptic. Perhaps this relationship is a result of the settlement mentioned above.

"You guys made a good heroes and villains MMOG, make us one."

Being on a console doesn't exclude the possibility of it being an MMOG. But none of the recruiting ads from Cryptic have said they're looking for MMOG developers. They say they're looking for console developers. But I can assure you, Cryptic is working on something with Marvel. And we most certainly won't be seeing the stain of Brad McQuaid on another license.

All I say is, Cryptic, cut that grind in half.

In summation, Microsoft starts work on Marvel MMOG. After a fantastic track record with keeping AC2 alive, Mythica, and that other thing, oh and that Vanguard shit, does it shock you the Marvel MMOG fell through? No. Would it shock you that Cryptic is working on it? Yes?

Cool, that's what I like to hear. Oh, and for the other news outlets - yes, this is sourced (albeit very anonymously). Go about doing your little song and dance now.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: July 24, 2006, 01:12:45 AM

Hrmmmmmm.

Well.  Cool, I suppose.  I do love me some City of Heroes, though I know not everyone here agrees with that estimate.

At the very least, we now have a floor on just how bad a Marvel MMOG could get- we know (and mostly agree) Cryptic can make a decent short term game.

I don't know, though, if they can really convey the Marvel Universe all that well.  One weakness of CoH is that, while it takes place in a very interesting world, the game doesn't communicate that very well in a lot of places (though some missions really shine, and badges/plaques were a big help there).

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
damijin
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 07:35:20 AM

CoX is a success, but far from a blockbuster.

I'm calling Marvel themed non-MMO online RPG with this one. Think Phantasy Star, with X-men.

That's my uneducated guess anyway.

edit for saying online twice and looking like a mildly handicapped ape who just learned engrislish.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 08:08:07 AM by damijin »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3 on: July 24, 2006, 07:48:34 AM

Man of Iron due to return in a Cryptic game! ;) Sure, I had my own creation (Cosmic Anomaly) that I dearly loved to play. But Man of Iron was a kickass energy blaster and fun to play, too.

Cut the grind in half and I'd even think about playing for a couple months again.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: July 24, 2006, 09:36:31 AM

Cut the grind in half and I'd even think about playing for a couple months again.

How many times does the internet need to say this before Cryptic seriously considers it?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #5 on: July 24, 2006, 09:58:47 AM

The double exp weekend suggests someone is listening. Offer the weekend. See how many re-activations occur. Evaluate the possibility of making double exp permanent.

I just don't understand what Cryptic has to lose. Clearly, the devs believe that faster levelling = higher churn. Given that the NUMBER ONE attraction of CoX is character creation, that belief seems wrong. There is really only reason that any CoX player that has made two characters hasn't made 20 characters. The grind.

I would be interested in the following math: /played to level 40 x 1 character = /played to level 20 x ? characters.

CoX enthusiasts, your best guess of ? is:

A: 3-5

B: 5-9

C: 10-15

D: 15+

I have never played WoW.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 10:15:37 AM

I got my main into the upper 20s before hitting the grind. I got another into the teens, with a few sub-10 toons.

It's the grind. That's all.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 11:13:02 AM

The double exp weekend suggests someone is listening. Offer the weekend. See how many re-activations occur. Evaluate the possibility of making double exp permanent.
All servers showed yellow population levels (where green = low, yellow = medium, red = high) in the evenings on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. The Freedom server showed up red.

Prior to this weekend, server pops were all green, with Freedom and Virtue usually showing yellow.

I doubt anyone re-activated for just one weekend though.

I just don't understand what Cryptic has to lose. Clearly, the devs believe that faster levelling = higher churn. Given that the NUMBER ONE attraction of CoX is character creation, that belief seems wrong. There is really only reason that any CoX player that has made two characters hasn't made 20 characters. The grind.

I would be interested in the following math: /played to level 40 x 1 character = /played to level 20 x ? characters.

Ehh I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have two whole servers full of toons (that's 24). Two of those are 40+, two others are 30+, most of the rest are under 15.

So yeah, I'm one of them there alt-oholics in CoX.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
WayAbvPar

Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 11:42:09 AM

Ehh I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have two whole servers full of toons (that's 24).

It is the catass motherlode! Someone call George Hearst.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Hutch
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:31:09 PM

Ehh I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I have two whole servers full of toons (that's 24).

I see you've been reading this thread. Being a mod and all, I think it's good that you spend some of your time reading the various threads that the community is contributing to here at f13.

You might want to resist the urge to apply this new term until you've actually learned what it means in a given context. The "catass" population in CoX is typified by the player who has multiple level 50 characters. The game's been out for over two years now, after all.

Plant yourself like a tree
Haven't you noticed? We've been sharing our culture with you all morning.
The sun will shine on us again, brother
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 12:32:56 PM

Hmmm....Perhaps green text really should be enforced?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 12:40:31 PM

other than Marvel, who else is there?  I asked already -- something Manga?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 12:48:26 PM

I was thinking about hitting up the double exp weekend, but went with BF2 instead. I only planned on playing for a couple hours all weekend because it's, you know, summer and whatnot. Stuff to do.

But yeah, I wouldn't mind keeping CoH around over the winter, I plan on hitting up EQ2 again in a few months but I doubt it'll hold my interest all winter long. Besides Planetside, CoH would be the other mmo I've liked.

Cosmic was 24th level, iirc. My alt...I forget his name now...was high teens, maybe 20. Everyone else was 12 and under and I played on and off for over a year.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 12:54:53 PM

I see you've been reading this thread. Being a mod and all, I think it's good that you spend some of your time reading the various threads that the community is contributing to here at f13.

You might want to resist the urge to apply this new term until you've actually learned what it means in a given context. The "catass" population in CoX is typified by the player who has multiple level 50 characters. The game's been out for over two years now, after all.

El Oh El.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 24, 2006, 01:43:21 PM

This topic, er well the original topic, raises an interesting point:

Sigil was developing the Marvel MMOG for Microsoft.
SOE has the DC MMOG license.
SOE is now publishing Sigil's games.

Who has/had the Marvel MMOG license - Sigil or Microsoft?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #15 on: July 24, 2006, 02:28:31 PM

I thought it was Sigil that had the Marvel license, but let's face it. Not even Joe Q. and the Merry Marvel Bunch could believe that Sigil has enough skill to finish Vanguard AND put out a Marvel MMOG in the next century. Especially after Vanguard's fucked up release cripples Sigil.

tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 25, 2006, 02:14:33 AM

Particularly in CoV hitting 20 is a piece of cake. I had 32+ alts, the most of them 5-20, a handful 20-30 and I think maybe three 30+, highest being 39. Given that experience, I'd say hitting 40 is probably in the 5-9 x lvl20s region, depending on what AT/powerset you're comparing.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: July 25, 2006, 06:39:52 PM

I have to agree that I'd try CoH for a bit again if the grind were lessened, although I can't say that I would stay for very long either way. I am the only one in the world, but I actually really wish that AC2 was still around. That was the most relaxing game for me. I don't know why, but I really enjoyed myself there. Back to the regularly scheduled topic... and yes, I am still alive.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #18 on: July 25, 2006, 08:55:23 PM

Oh.  I guess I'll take down the little shrine I erected in your memory then. 

I said "erected."    cheesy

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
tar
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 02:10:09 AM

I am the only one in the world, but I actually really wish that AC2 was still around. That was the most relaxing game for me. I don't know why, but I really enjoyed myself there.

Not quite the only one. Well, ok, it being shut down doesn't really bother me but if it was still there, I may have gone back occasionally.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 26, 2006, 05:22:11 AM

Obviously we've done this elsewhere, but I guarantee that if they halved the xp at each level people who complain 'the grind just gets silly at level x' would simply be complaining 'the grind gets too much at level x+7'.

Seriously, if the grind is too much you are done, because there is nothing else to see after level 32 anyway, if the gameplay itself isn't fun for it's own sake at level 32, then it's not going to change, grind or no grind.

As regards CoX now being a floor for the Marvel mmog, meh, one of the best things about CoX is that they refused to learn from others mistakes and went for characters based on all out super stacking super swingy 'realm abilities' from start to finish. Unfortunately it wouldn't surprise me if 'wiser heads prevail' second time around.

Also, you know, consoles.

And Marvel suits.

It'll be interesting to watch but I won't be getting my hopes up.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: July 26, 2006, 06:15:34 AM

Obviously we've done this elsewhere, but I guarantee that if they halved the xp at each level people who complain 'the grind just gets silly at level x' would simply be complaining 'the grind gets too much at level x+7'.

Seriously, if the grind is too much you are done, because there is nothing else to see after level 32 anyway, if the gameplay itself isn't fun for it's own sake at level 32, then it's not going to change, grind or no grind.
If that were the case, why is it still fun to roll alts and level them to ~20?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 26, 2006, 07:08:19 AM

Because your character changes and gains dramatically new ways to play until (depending on your powersets) somewhere between 20 and 32.

If the complaint is really 'nothing new happens after level 32', then fair enough.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2006, 07:14:49 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 26, 2006, 07:18:03 AM

So then why not reduce the grind so we could keep playing characters and gain more powers, rather than roll an alt and play through the same damned content?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: July 26, 2006, 07:24:38 AM

I'm not saying it would hurt, but ranged_attack_06 at level 35 isn't going to herald a brave new world of electronic gaming.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #25 on: July 29, 2006, 09:09:30 AM

I don't know.

My Mastermind's Patron Pool choices are making a difference in how he plays.  But I suppose they wouldn't if I just picked the vanilla ranged attack power.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #26 on: July 29, 2006, 08:32:02 PM

I thought it was Sigil that had the Marvel license, but let's face it. Not even Joe Q. and the Merry Marvel Bunch could believe that Sigil has enough skill to finish Vanguard AND put out a Marvel MMOG in the next century. Especially after Vanguard's fucked up release cripples Sigil.
Microsoft owns the license to the Marvel MMO.

schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: July 29, 2006, 09:09:45 PM

Microsoft owns the license to the Marvel MMO.
NCSoft doesn't own Cryptic. But Microsoft does have a console out that Cryptic could probably whip up something decent for...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #28 on: July 29, 2006, 11:21:17 PM

CoX is a success, but far from a blockbuster.

I'm calling Marvel themed non-MMO online RPG with this one. Think Phantasy Star, with X-men.

That's my uneducated guess anyway.

Activision currently has the exclusive rights to make any non-MMO RPG's featuring Marvel characters, as well as the exclusive rights to make any X-men or Spider-man games (again excluding the use of those characters in an MMO).  If Cryptic is making a Marvel game that isn't an MMO their options are a bit limited.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: July 31, 2006, 06:26:33 AM

X-Men Legends with a centralized server would be cool.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #30 on: July 31, 2006, 09:21:49 AM

X-Men Legends with a centralized server would be cool.

I'd likely buy that.

And if Microsoft owns the Marvel MMO license, it ain't coming out.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #31 on: July 31, 2006, 07:04:43 PM

One thing not yet mentioned is that in its press release regarding hiring new staff, Cryptic mentions it is also increasing its own capacity to do customer service and network operations - roles I thought that NCsoft was looking after.

Which might (assuming the Cryptic / Marvel rumour is true) seem to indicate that Cryptic is trying to be less reliant on NCsoft, which (again, if true) opens up some interesting avenues about where Cryptic is headed.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: July 31, 2006, 11:10:16 PM

I suppose it's too much to hope that they're making a Slapstick or GLA game for Mavel...
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Cryptic is Making a New Game... With Marvel  
Jump to: