Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: Nice game, but dear god, the crashes. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nice game, but dear god, the crashes.  (Read 39227 times)
Rodent
Terracotta Army

on: July 14, 2006, 12:14:48 PM

So I've been toying around with this game all day since I got home from work. Great fun so far, playing Earth/Nature and whopping ass with my Core thingy supported by Elemental weapon and Regrowth.

But damnit I've hardly made it out of Sparta since if they game doesn't Blue screen of death me till I feel like I'm in Windows 95 again it starts to loop sounds until performance drops to 0%. So far I've tried compability modes, new and old drivers for my Audigy and X800 but I still haven't been able to play it more then 10-20 minutes a go without rebooting the computer.

Anyone have any ideas about when they're going to release a patch that doesn't make the game seem buggier then Daggerfall?

Wiiiiii!
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:17:13 PM

I was having problems with the graphics until I updated my OmegaDrivers....you may need to update something.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 12:21:12 PM

Installed the latest Omegadrivers and SoundBlaster drivers, still getting the BSOD's and Sound loop issues. Tried running it in every compability setting but Windows 95 ( Even NT4, that oddly fixed the soundloops but BSOD'ed the game with a 5 minute frequency ).

I was just about to tear out the Soundblaster when I noticed the game is supposed to have even bigger issues with my onboard soundcard.

Wiiiiii!
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 14, 2006, 12:22:58 PM

I also tried downclocking my graphics card and turning off the soundcards acceleration. I am now convinced there's nothing I can do until they release a decent patch.

Wiiiiii!
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 14, 2006, 12:27:05 PM

Ambience less often, put shadows and other non-essential graphics options on low.

Fire up the options.txt in my docs\my games\tq\something\soforth and set it on singleprocessor mode.

few other things you can do offhand that i forget.

Oh, yeah, rename those video files or just delete them so the game starts up faster. since the patch came out I only crash about once every 3 hours.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2006, 12:29:11 PM

Anyway I can "flush" my soundcard? The looping sound thing wouldn't be so bad if the performance hit didn't remain after I close the game.

Wiiiiii!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 12:47:09 PM

Try turning down your Sound Acceleration one notch in dxdiag.exe under the Sound tab.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 12:54:51 PM

Tried every setting from full to none, for once in the history of PC gaming this seemed to have little to none impact.

Wiiiiii!
Strazos

Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 01:02:12 PM

Dear god, you can actually kill those damn videos?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 02:23:38 PM

Managed to game alot more stable ( Now only slightly more unstable then a Bethseda game ) by turning off the music and firing up the alexander soundtrack in winamp. Level 11 now, phear me!

Wiiiiii!
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 05:42:48 PM

Using the 1.08 patch and the latest version of the no-cd crack I haven't had one crash since I upgraded. I was crashing so often before, with our without the no-cd patch, that something must be fixed.

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 07:25:38 PM

Damn and all I've seen where a few gfx glitches *pats comp* I lub you...

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
CassandraR
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 15, 2006, 04:04:33 AM

I haven't crashed once or otherwise had any problems at all except alittle slow down occasionally but turning down the video options and updating my video card drivers mostly fixed that. Been running really well. (Now what me crash every 3 minutes...)
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #13 on: July 15, 2006, 06:22:00 AM

The patch didn't do squat for me, I've had to restore my corrupt character and delete my quest files numerous times because of the crashes.  Turning off sound acceleration in DirectX helped some but that tip to change the ambiance and single processor mode has really made a huge difference.
Strazos

Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 01:11:13 PM

I have an odd problem where if I alt-tab out of TQ, about 50% of the time, I won't be able to open up any kind of programs. Windows says the things I am looking for are inaccessible and such. Only rebooting fixes this.

Fear the Backstab!
penfold
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 17, 2006, 03:28:25 AM

I havent had any crashes at all, my ATI using friends have though. Things tried by them:

Compatibility mode : win2k or win98.
Miles Sound system : update drivers.
Turn off vsync, AA and other options.
Don't use nocd.
Play it windowed.
Try every ATI driver about - one guy tried latest catalysts, omegas, and several older version of each driver (he has x800)

Titanquest forums have more fixes.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #16 on: July 17, 2006, 05:50:07 AM

I was having problems with the graphics until I updated my OmegaDrivers....you may need to update something.

aye, and don't forget to PayPal the nice man  :-D
Strazos

Reply #17 on: July 17, 2006, 06:54:48 AM

I can't use PayPal because it insists my checking account is linked to another PayPal account...which it is not.

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #18 on: July 17, 2006, 11:34:10 AM

I can't use PayPal because it insists my checking account is linked to another PayPal account...which it is not.

identity theft zomg

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Strazos

Reply #19 on: July 17, 2006, 11:52:20 AM

Actually no....I think I screwed up an account at one point trying to get it "verified" and such.

It's actually something of a problem when I want to use ebay.

Fear the Backstab!
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #20 on: July 18, 2006, 09:12:25 AM

The most retarded thing recently improved my TQ performance greatly: a defrag.  Normally fragmentation isn't a problem, but for some reason the TQ install was smeared across my disk like sand in a carpet.

Walloping enemies onto rooftops, over cliffs and into walls really makes me giggle.  Last night I hit a ratman so hard, he flew over the cavern wall into the void.  Awesome.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #21 on: July 18, 2006, 09:27:56 AM

I like bringing them into a canyon and then bashing them into the walls, if you hit them hard enough they will bounce back to your feet.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: July 19, 2006, 12:07:30 AM

Now one crash screwed me good. Crashed in Knossos on Epic Mode right before talking to the NPC who sails you off to your further adventures. Restarted, respawned after the tunnel, but the NPC doesn't ferry me over. Over to the last town portal and refought the Boss, talked to the appropiate questgivers again, same situation. Basically I am struck and can't continue with this character. Byebye Level 39 Conqueror, build yourself a hut there and grow sheep.

Guess I'm taking a break from this game for one or two patches now.
Strazos

Reply #23 on: July 19, 2006, 05:58:25 AM

Actually, if you join a multiplayer game, someone should be able to give you a portal so you can get over That way.

Fear the Backstab!
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: July 19, 2006, 06:10:01 AM

That's a pretty brilliant solution if it works.
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #25 on: July 19, 2006, 09:18:03 AM

Deleting the .que and the quest files from the saved game folder fixed these type of problems for me a few times. 

I now use that TQBackup program to make quick backups of my saved game folder every now and then and has saved me a couple of times as well.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 19, 2006, 09:48:59 AM

I copied my normal folder into the epic folder just for giggles because I had nothing to lose. Look and behold! I'm standing in Lower Olympus in Epic mode. Funny that, as useless as standing in a field without an exit, but ultimately more getting killed.
Strazos

Reply #27 on: July 19, 2006, 09:49:54 AM

lol, hax

Fear the Backstab!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 19, 2006, 10:01:45 AM

I guess now I can delete .que files right until I am at the last rebirth shrine before the palace of Minos.

Edit: Doesn't seem to work. Looks to be either all or nothing. Well, was worth a try. Next patch then.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 10:14:10 AM by Tebonas »
Strazos

Reply #29 on: July 19, 2006, 10:46:48 AM

Whoops...ran into a problem today....now I am stuck in Chang'an or wherever. I went to the Yellow Emperor and talked to him, and was working my way back when I crashed.

I ended up back in Helios or whatever. No big deal, I just restarted the game again, and ended up back at my last rebirth shrine.

Problem was, my quest log was empty. Hmmm...So I port back to Chang'an and talk to the Prometheus agent, and she updates my main quest line to send me onward....except I go down to the gate I need to use to get into the next forest area....and the guard says I can go through, but the gate does not agree, saying "Locked by Quest" or whatever....

I am at a loss. Now I go back to the P. Agent, and she's back to the status of when I first arrived. I even went all the way back to the Emperor, talked to him, and ran the route back through the swamps back to town. Not sure what to do. No way I am starting over, not when I already have my Asssassin.

Fear the Backstab!
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 10:52:13 AM

Sounds awfully similar to my problem. I feel your pain.
Strazos

Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 10:54:46 AM

I don't even have a .que file anymore....

I'm wondering if I could start from back in Helios, and just teleport around and pick up the plot points and bring my quest log up to speed.

Also, I really wish Yoru's TQ utility would work on my system....for some reason it would not.

Fear the Backstab!
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 11:16:41 AM

It's just basic MFC with a few calls into the Shell DLLs.  :-(  What happens when you try to run it?
Strazos

Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 11:28:50 AM

I take that back - it does actually work. What I had tried to do previously was point it to the Data folder where I installed the game....but apparently, the game stores the needed into in a different folder...

On my C:\ drive...pretty annoying. But anyway, a lot of good it does me now, as my quest log appears to still be broken. I might try my idea...later. Or tomarrow, I dunno.

Fear the Backstab!
Strazos

Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 11:40:06 AM

Nope, going back and trying to force the quest along from the beginning of the game does not work either. Hmmm...

The only solutions I can think of are getting into a game with someone, and have them give me a portal to the next checkpoint beyond the Chang'an gates and continute from there, hoping the quest will move itself along.

OR...somehow getting quest files from someone who is at about the same point in the normal mode game as I am and tossing those files into the appropriate folder. Even if they are slightly behind where I am, it would at least not be a total loss.

Fear the Backstab!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Titan Quest  |  Topic: Nice game, but dear god, the crashes.  
Jump to: