Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 03:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dark Messiah: Might and Magic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dark Messiah: Might and Magic  (Read 7163 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

on: July 14, 2006, 10:39:51 AM

I don't want to have any kind of hope for this game, but I gotta admit the trailers they have for it on steam have me pretty impressed.  I'm hoping they don't go with an ass-backwards leveling system like Oblivion.

EDIT: Previous thread from September here.  I didn't necro because it pretty much meandered into offtopic territory.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2006, 11:14:43 AM by ahoythematey »
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1 on: July 14, 2006, 12:18:54 PM

The Warrior and Wizard videos looked spectacular. I was a bit disappointed by the Assassin video.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: July 14, 2006, 11:37:21 PM

I really liked the Wizard/Mage video. It looked like pure Jedi pwnage, being able to telekinetically throw enemies around...,I was muahahaing for a minute or so as I watched the video. I hope there's a multiplayer part to it. Melee? MUAHAHAHAHAAAA! Let's see you get near me!  evil

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 08:34:24 AM

Gamesradar.com has a great multiplayer preview.  It went from good to great in my book:

Linky
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:41:49 AM

ZOMG, gimme gimme gimme.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:29:51 AM

The multiplayer sounds awesome. I'm a little worried that the devs are physics happy in the single player(at least from watching the videos), but it looks like it should be a good time no matter what.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 08:01:28 AM

I like to keep my expectations low by remembering how buggy Arx Fatalis was.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 09:37:13 AM

Gamesradar.com has a great multiplayer preview.  It went from good to great in my book:

Linky

Sounds like a good bit of Guild Wars, only with what's probably better maps. And hopefully no invisible walls.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:21:18 PM

I wanted to see some E3 footage of Raving Rabbids, and it turns out that there is some Dark Messiah footage at the start of it.  Thanks to this surprise attack, I'm pretty much in the line for this one like everyone else.  I'm a sucker for physics, and now I want to play more Arx Fatalis.  Dammit.

http://www.gwn.com/movies/play.php/f/222

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 01:41:49 PM

Arx was a pretty damned good game imo. I've got to go back and finish it someday.

Dark Messiah looks pretty nifty. I doubt it'll run on my machine, but when I get that E6600 and oc it up, I bet it'll be pretty sweet. Battlefield: Dark Ages or summat.

Why are they displaying it on such tiny monitors?  tongue +2pts for Miserlou.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:14:38 PM

Not sure if I specified this in some other thread, but the only reason I put down Arx was the showstopping bugs.  It mostly worked OK and was overall really good, but I cannot tolerate missing cut scenes or dialog.

That's it, I'm reinstalling it.  The box is still sitting next to my monitor.

Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 02:23:21 PM

The multiplayer sounds awesome. I'm a little worried that the devs are physics happy in the single player(at least from watching the videos), but it looks like it should be a good time no matter what.

I saw it at E3; the demo level they showed was extremely physics-happy with all kinds of opportunities to bust shit to kill things, swing around, etc. But then again, it was an E3 floor demo, so it was almost certainly built to showcase their physics-based puzzles and combat stuff, as well as their physics-based bossfights.

It looked like a whole heck of a lot of action-platformer-physics fun. I forget what the release date was though.
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 07:54:46 PM

Looks to me like Elder Scrolls Oblivion with a detailed five class system (as opposed to a customizable skill-based hodgepodge) and considerably more depth to the melee combat.  Looks like the monsters behave somewhat intelligently too - saw a video with an ogre picking up the hero, screaming at it, and throwing him away then later trying to left boulders the hero was hiding under.  Source engine goodness is there as well.

Okay, provided the game isn't released a total buggy pile, I'm definately giving it a try.  Gamespot seems to think it'll be out Oct 2006, but delays happen.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 08:01:31 PM by geldonyetich »

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13 on: August 02, 2006, 06:30:26 AM

Looks to me like Elder Scrolls Oblivion with a detailed five class system (as opposed to a customizable skill-based hodgepodge) and considerably more depth to the melee combat.

I can look up details, since I have forgotten, but I remember reading that it is pretty much going to be Arx Fatalis 2 with a M&M license smeared on top.  Giggity?

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #14 on: August 02, 2006, 11:21:37 AM

A definite must try probably, I honestly can't remember a decent Medieval Action FPS game in recent year.
Or even a multiplayer one.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 06, 2006, 02:17:37 PM

With all the retarded bad press the game is getting (4/10 - WTF?!), I still find it absolutely great and worth 10/10/10.

It's first game ever in entire history of games that really uses physics.
Only flaw I found is that it requires you to use your brain, which makes hordes of brain-washed console suckers cry and complain about "bugs".
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #16 on: November 06, 2006, 02:22:17 PM

Ahhhhh I see now. The crashes, and horrible FPS and insane loading times are FEATURES. Got it.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #17 on: November 06, 2006, 02:24:57 PM

Ahhhhh I see now. The crashes, and horrible FPS and insane loading times are FEATURES. Got it.

The crashing is part of the incredible physics.  noob.

-Rasix
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #18 on: November 06, 2006, 02:48:30 PM

Crashes and other technical issues didn't stop gamers from liking Daggerfall or Elite Frontier/First Encounters.  I'm smelling cult classic in Dark Messiah, but it could have been a lot more if they had the talent or time to release a game without bugs and streamlined to run comfortably on more systems.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 03:05:37 PM by geldonyetich »

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 03:14:37 PM

It is fun and has the best melee combat ever. But FAR from being a classic.

At the end it is another corridor shooter. Good combat, but the rest isn't all that great.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 03:20:23 PM

I honestly think they would have been better off with going with a Q3/UT approach. Fuck the story and just put me in awesome arenas with cool baddies. Right now I feel like I have an awesome fight and then spend 10-15 minutes wandering around till I get to my next fight. It's like Disneyland with with slightly shorter gaps between the fun. I've found I when I get to a new fight I'll replay it 15 or 20 times trying out different weapons and strategies. The fights are a 10, the rest is a one. The vampy bitch talking inside of my head is a 0.
JoeTF
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 07, 2006, 06:54:35 AM

It only crashed twice for me and I have great FPS on my 6600GT(which cannot be said about many other modern titles) . No problems with loading times either - it might have something to do with SATA2 raid0 I'm running, but loading times seems standard for me. Just like any other game, with quickload actually being quick.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 11:02:05 AM

I honestly think they would have been better off with going with a Q3/UT approach. Fuck the story and just put me in awesome arenas with cool baddies. Right now I feel like I have an awesome fight and then spend 10-15 minutes wandering around till I get to my next fight. It's like Disneyland with with slightly shorter gaps between the fun. I've found I when I get to a new fight I'll replay it 15 or 20 times trying out different weapons and strategies. The fights are a 10, the rest is a one. The vampy bitch talking inside of my head is a 0.
I would say the complete opposite. It sounds like there isn't enough of the depth of the original M&M series in it. It's good they made combat great, because combat was so-so in the one older M&M I played (6). I dunno, I'll probably grab it out of the cheap bin if there's not a good world and story.
Prospero
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: November 08, 2006, 03:46:52 PM

I agree it would be cool to have more depth to the story, but by all appearances they can't deliver.  Since they can't write, but can make cool fight mechanics, I think they should have just focused on the cool combat.

Ahh the joys of armchair game development.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Dark Messiah: Might and Magic  
Jump to: