Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2019, 12:41:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 611063 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #6475 on: February 04, 2019, 05:43:37 PM

re: Stross, I thought the Mo viewpoint book was not-good, but I enjoyed the Mhari viewpoint book, which is the latest.

Merchant Princes, I read the first one, maybe the second, and stopped.

Rule 34 is, in my opinion, a fun read.  I need to dig that up and give it another go.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #6476 on: February 05, 2019, 10:07:57 AM

I finished reading Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files book 2). I don't think I want to continue the series. This one was WAY too meta for me and yes, I do realize that was kind of the point. There's some interesting stuff in the series and then there's just some things that are meh that kind of bore me. I felt like the story just kind of dropped you into the middle, faffed around for a very long bit without ever feeling like it was moving, and then things happen that sort of explain the faffing and then it just kind of ends. The action in the climax of the story was confusing and not very satisfying.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6477 on: February 05, 2019, 12:43:02 PM

If you're looking for some reasonably well written, action heavy and occasionally funny Sci-Fi you'd do a lot worse than the Nightlords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. It's 40k but actually pretty well done. If you know something about the setting you'll probably get a bit more out of it but even if you don't it's pretty entertaining. Especially so if you like your protagonists 2m tall psychopathic sadists who find most people in the setting as ridiculous as you.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #6478 on: February 06, 2019, 12:21:33 AM

I finished reading Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files book 2). I don't think I want to continue the series. This one was WAY too meta for me and yes, I do realize that was kind of the point. There's some interesting stuff in the series and then there's just some things that are meh that kind of bore me. I felt like the story just kind of dropped you into the middle, faffed around for a very long bit without ever feeling like it was moving, and then things happen that sort of explain the faffing and then it just kind of ends. The action in the climax of the story was confusing and not very satisfying.

That was the book that made me quit, too.  My wife, however, has read the rest of the series, and she said the rest of the series was much more enjoyable to read.  [shrug emoticon]
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #6479 on: February 06, 2019, 12:24:38 AM

If you're looking for some reasonably well written, action heavy and occasionally funny Sci-Fi you'd do a lot worse than the Nightlords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. It's 40k but actually pretty well done. If you know something about the setting you'll probably get a bit more out of it but even if you don't it's pretty entertaining. Especially so if you like your protagonists 2m tall psychopathic sadists who find most people in the setting as ridiculous as you.

Those are great books, but not an ideal starting point for someone who isn't already very familiar with the setting.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6480 on: February 06, 2019, 02:28:43 AM

Those are great books, but not an ideal starting point for someone who isn't already very familiar with the setting.

I'm actually kind of curious on that front. They're well written but obviously there's a wider universe going on with some of the impact of things (Blood Angels trying to claim back their relics) not really registering if you don't already know who the Blood Angels are. Is there enough meat in the explanations for that to not to matter though? I kind of feel like it's an unusual but pretty good introduction to the setting, with the caveat that readers might expect similar quality from other writers and be massively disappointed.

Any non WH40k nerds want to be a guinea pig? awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6481 on: March 26, 2019, 12:51:37 AM

Woop woop. New Expanse book out tomorrow/today.  Down with Laconia!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6482 on: March 26, 2019, 09:36:53 AM

I've been away from this thread for years, as I don't read much fiction anymore (hit me up for good drawing books, heh).

But the new Glen Cook Black Company novel is pretty decent. Feels more original trilogy-ish than the Books of the South, for some reason.

Erickson also wrote a sci-fi think piece that I found fun but people seem to hate.

See you in a few years!

rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6483 on: March 26, 2019, 09:43:31 AM

Port of Shadows from last year, or is there a newer new one?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6484 on: March 26, 2019, 11:41:33 AM

It must be Port of Shadows I haven't heard a word about a new book.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6485 on: April 15, 2019, 12:21:44 PM

No more Black Company jokes to be had.  Wrong book series, my bad.

Gene Wolfe has died.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 02:50:19 PM by RhyssaFireheart »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6486 on: April 15, 2019, 01:25:04 PM

No more Black Company jokes to be had.

Gene Wolfe has died.

Glen Cook writes BC.

And yeah, Port of Shadows. Our 'new book' shelf has a year expiration on it. It got weird, but that fit the overall plot.

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6487 on: April 15, 2019, 02:49:51 PM

Doh!  You're right.  Wolfe work the Book of the New Sun series. 

Dang, and here I thought we were saved from having someone coming in to say you really should read the BC books.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6488 on: April 15, 2019, 10:11:14 PM

In college, I briefly played in a metal band named after a sword from a Gene Wolfe novel.  RIP.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6489 on: April 18, 2019, 12:04:28 AM

Woop woop. New Expanse book out tomorrow/today.  Down with Laconia!

Almost Finished it. I admire a lot of what they do/try to do. But whenever I finish a book I'm always left a little cold.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 12:33:50 AM by lamaros »

Expect poison from the standing water.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6490 on: April 18, 2019, 08:25:59 AM

I began reading Dawn by Octavia Butler on a recommendation as classic sci-fi.

The protagonist is the second worst in any fiction I've read (the worst being Thomas Covenant, what a complete piece of shit). I stopped reading after around 50 pages (and it's a fairly short novel). The selfish, petulant, unreasonable, unlikable protagonist's unrelenting ability to choose the most annoying and childish way to deal with every situation that crops up was more than enough. There may be a good book in there, but I have a feeling it's a statement piece about rape.

And who the fuck likes to read rape books (see also: Thomas Covenant)? Apparently a whole lot of people. I don't need sunshine in my books (I mean, my favorite author is Lovecraft, soo...) but I can't abide characters like this.

0/8

Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6491 on: April 18, 2019, 09:04:48 PM

And who the fuck likes to read rape books (see also: Thomas Covenant)?
In all fairness, he only raped someone the once. It's not like it was his hobby.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #6492 on: April 18, 2019, 09:34:19 PM

You’ve got to get into Donaldson’s other books for all the extra-rape-y stuff.  Ohhhhh, I see.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: