Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:02:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 192 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 1286136 times)
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #6475 on: February 04, 2019, 03:43:37 PM

re: Stross, I thought the Mo viewpoint book was not-good, but I enjoyed the Mhari viewpoint book, which is the latest.

Merchant Princes, I read the first one, maybe the second, and stopped.

Rule 34 is, in my opinion, a fun read.  I need to dig that up and give it another go.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6476 on: February 05, 2019, 08:07:57 AM

I finished reading Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files book 2). I don't think I want to continue the series. This one was WAY too meta for me and yes, I do realize that was kind of the point. There's some interesting stuff in the series and then there's just some things that are meh that kind of bore me. I felt like the story just kind of dropped you into the middle, faffed around for a very long bit without ever feeling like it was moving, and then things happen that sort of explain the faffing and then it just kind of ends. The action in the climax of the story was confusing and not very satisfying.

NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6477 on: February 05, 2019, 10:43:02 AM

If you're looking for some reasonably well written, action heavy and occasionally funny Sci-Fi you'd do a lot worse than the Nightlords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. It's 40k but actually pretty well done. If you know something about the setting you'll probably get a bit more out of it but even if you don't it's pretty entertaining. Especially so if you like your protagonists 2m tall psychopathic sadists who find most people in the setting as ridiculous as you.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #6478 on: February 05, 2019, 10:21:33 PM

I finished reading Jennifer Morgue (Laundry Files book 2). I don't think I want to continue the series. This one was WAY too meta for me and yes, I do realize that was kind of the point. There's some interesting stuff in the series and then there's just some things that are meh that kind of bore me. I felt like the story just kind of dropped you into the middle, faffed around for a very long bit without ever feeling like it was moving, and then things happen that sort of explain the faffing and then it just kind of ends. The action in the climax of the story was confusing and not very satisfying.

That was the book that made me quit, too.  My wife, however, has read the rest of the series, and she said the rest of the series was much more enjoyable to read.  [shrug emoticon]
BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #6479 on: February 05, 2019, 10:24:38 PM

If you're looking for some reasonably well written, action heavy and occasionally funny Sci-Fi you'd do a lot worse than the Nightlords Trilogy by Aaron Dembski-Bowden. It's 40k but actually pretty well done. If you know something about the setting you'll probably get a bit more out of it but even if you don't it's pretty entertaining. Especially so if you like your protagonists 2m tall psychopathic sadists who find most people in the setting as ridiculous as you.

Those are great books, but not an ideal starting point for someone who isn't already very familiar with the setting.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6480 on: February 06, 2019, 12:28:43 AM

Those are great books, but not an ideal starting point for someone who isn't already very familiar with the setting.

I'm actually kind of curious on that front. They're well written but obviously there's a wider universe going on with some of the impact of things (Blood Angels trying to claim back their relics) not really registering if you don't already know who the Blood Angels are. Is there enough meat in the explanations for that to not to matter though? I kind of feel like it's an unusual but pretty good introduction to the setting, with the caveat that readers might expect similar quality from other writers and be massively disappointed.

Any non WH40k nerds want to be a guinea pig? awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #6481 on: March 25, 2019, 10:51:37 PM

Woop woop. New Expanse book out tomorrow/today.  Down with Laconia!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6482 on: March 26, 2019, 07:36:53 AM

I've been away from this thread for years, as I don't read much fiction anymore (hit me up for good drawing books, heh).

But the new Glen Cook Black Company novel is pretty decent. Feels more original trilogy-ish than the Books of the South, for some reason.

Erickson also wrote a sci-fi think piece that I found fun but people seem to hate.

See you in a few years!
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6483 on: March 26, 2019, 07:43:31 AM

Port of Shadows from last year, or is there a newer new one?
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6484 on: March 26, 2019, 09:41:33 AM

It must be Port of Shadows I haven't heard a word about a new book.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6485 on: April 15, 2019, 10:21:44 AM

No more Black Company jokes to be had.  Wrong book series, my bad.

Gene Wolfe has died.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 12:50:19 PM by RhyssaFireheart »

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6486 on: April 15, 2019, 11:25:04 AM

No more Black Company jokes to be had.

Gene Wolfe has died.

Glen Cook writes BC.

And yeah, Port of Shadows. Our 'new book' shelf has a year expiration on it. It got weird, but that fit the overall plot.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6487 on: April 15, 2019, 12:49:51 PM

Doh!  You're right.  Wolfe work the Book of the New Sun series. 

Dang, and here I thought we were saved from having someone coming in to say you really should read the BC books.

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6488 on: April 15, 2019, 08:11:14 PM

In college, I briefly played in a metal band named after a sword from a Gene Wolfe novel.  RIP.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6489 on: April 17, 2019, 10:04:28 PM

Woop woop. New Expanse book out tomorrow/today.  Down with Laconia!

Almost Finished it. I admire a lot of what they do/try to do. But whenever I finish a book I'm always left a little cold.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 10:33:50 PM by lamaros »
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6490 on: April 18, 2019, 06:25:59 AM

I began reading Dawn by Octavia Butler on a recommendation as classic sci-fi.

The protagonist is the second worst in any fiction I've read (the worst being Thomas Covenant, what a complete piece of shit). I stopped reading after around 50 pages (and it's a fairly short novel). The selfish, petulant, unreasonable, unlikable protagonist's unrelenting ability to choose the most annoying and childish way to deal with every situation that crops up was more than enough. There may be a good book in there, but I have a feeling it's a statement piece about rape.

And who the fuck likes to read rape books (see also: Thomas Covenant)? Apparently a whole lot of people. I don't need sunshine in my books (I mean, my favorite author is Lovecraft, soo...) but I can't abide characters like this.

0/8
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6491 on: April 18, 2019, 07:04:48 PM

And who the fuck likes to read rape books (see also: Thomas Covenant)?
In all fairness, he only raped someone the once. It's not like it was his hobby.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #6492 on: April 18, 2019, 07:34:19 PM

You’ve got to get into Donaldson’s other books for all the extra-rape-y stuff.  Ohhhhh, I see.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6493 on: April 19, 2019, 05:08:58 AM

Oh yeah. The Gap series was way rapier. Even Mordant's Need which is arguably Donaldson's mildest most vanilla book had a couple rapey characters. I'm still a fan boy anyway though. The third Covenant series tied things up beautifully and if I remember correctly wasn't rapey at all. I've just got the first two of his newest series but haven't read them yet. I'll wait until the next person mentions the Black Company before reporting in.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6494 on: April 19, 2019, 06:10:25 AM

Don't get me started.  Donaldson has serious, serious fucking issues with women.

He's even pretty much admitted it.  "yeah, I wrote some of that stuff when I'd just been dumped and I wanted all women eviscerated."

Thanks Stephen.  Good to hear from you again.

It's a shame, because he's one of my favourite writers when he tries, but then he just started paying the mortgage and not giving a fuck and even his good stuff is hugely, hugely questionable whenever a woman appears.

I think he peaked with 'Raping your daughter is ok as long as she's asking for it.'

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #6495 on: April 19, 2019, 06:47:44 AM

When I was in the hospital nearly dead of mono, the only fiction book there was an Octavia Butler one. After a few minutes of reading it, I went back to reading an older PDR that was there instead. I would have preferred a phone book to the Butler one.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #6496 on: April 19, 2019, 08:50:44 AM

In all fairness, he only raped someone the once. It's not like it was his hobby.
That's true, his hobby was self-destructing and blaming it on everyone else.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6497 on: April 19, 2019, 09:45:21 AM

I just finished Nevernight by Jay Kristoff; it's sort of a Harry Potter for Assassins except not YA at all. Lots of brutal murder, lots of foul language and some sex; I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's book 1 of a trilogy; book 2 is out now (Godsgrave) with the 3rd to hit this September.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6498 on: April 19, 2019, 10:53:29 AM

For the first time since I was 13, I haven't been reading anything in the last 6-8 months.

I'm in the mood for some good sci-fi or fantasy. Ab bringing up the Expanse books has me thinking.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6499 on: April 19, 2019, 06:16:36 PM

Enjoyed the new Expanse book.

I love Octavia Butler's Xenogenesis books. The only thing I can offer for those who hate them is this: if you don't like the situation or the protagonists, it's because you don't like a book that is about what it's really like to be colonized. Most SF either puts people in the situation of "we fight off our invaders and win", "we are the invaders only we're really nice and progressive and shit", "we are neither invaders nor invaded, the galaxy is a big complicated cosmopolitan place" or "we are colonized people but we're actually special and will win because there's something special about us, rather than what we do". There's also "we're the invaders and we're awful but the protagonist is an enlightened soul who helps out the oppressed aka Galactic Robin Hood".

There's a zillion of the "we fight and win". There's a ton of "we are the invaders but we're nice" as well as "Galactic Robin Hood". There's some "we are living in a cosmopolitan and complicated universe" and some "we're colonized but special" (David Brin, for example).

But books where there's a colonizing species that changes everything about us, isn't entirely bad, but doesn't give us any choice? Where our DNA or our sense of self or something gets inextricably interwoven into the aliens even though we don't even like them, even though that changes what we value? That's not a common template for SF. It's unpleasant to read. And yet it's the basic experience of the significant majority of humans on this planet between 1500-2019. So I get why it is hard to warm up to--and hard to read. But I really appreciate Butler tackling it.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #6500 on: April 21, 2019, 12:25:03 PM

That's true, his hobby was self-destructing and blaming it on everyone else.
As I grew older, the more I appreciated how realistic that was.

On the bright side, Covenant never went full-incel, so he's got a leg up there.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6501 on: May 31, 2019, 12:57:34 PM

For those of you still interested in my books, I've just released the last 2 novellas in my Cthulhu series, The Stepping Stone Cycle. As usual, available in eBook for $.99 cents each. I've also combined all 6 novellas into one eBook and paperback compilation. Whatever format you want, you can find the link for it on my "Buy My Books" page.

To try to promote these books, I've also started a Youtube channel that's navel-gazing commentary on each of the books and my writing in general. The first "Zero" episode is a bit long but the future ones will be chopped down into more manageable bits.
The Author Has Thoughts: Episode Zero
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 09:05:44 PM by HaemishM »

RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6502 on: May 31, 2019, 02:01:31 PM

Oo, I'll have to check out the compilation version.  I think I have the first book only so being able to get all the remainder at once is very tempting.  And I'll be on vacation to the MiL's the second week of June.. I need something to do while there. :D

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #6503 on: May 31, 2019, 06:01:13 PM

I clicked on the buy my books link, and it didn't go anywhere.  I'd be interested in taking a look at a paperback of the compilation.
RhyssaFireheart
Terracotta Army

Reply #6504 on: May 31, 2019, 08:15:53 PM

I went through B&N because credits. Bought the complete season 1 book and Reclamation from the Bridge Chronicles. Hope it helps a bit. Now I have stuff for the trip. I can do a reread of what I already had and continue into the new books.  DRILLING AND WOMANLINESS

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6505 on: May 31, 2019, 09:06:22 PM

I clicked on the buy my books link, and it didn't go anywhere.  I'd be interested in taking a look at a paperback of the compilation.

Links are fixed. Sorry about that, I added quotes where none were needed.

BobtheSomething
Terracotta Army

Reply #6506 on: May 31, 2019, 11:21:20 PM

Thanks. 

...So, I've looked at the reviews on Amazon but I'm still not really sure what kind of a read to expect from the Stepping Stone Cycle.  Is it more of a slow burn psychological thriller? a romp through the Mythos?  pure horror?  or something else?  How monster-rich is the story, and how many of them are of your own invention?  What else can you tell me that might hook me into the story?

Apologies if it feels like an interrogation. 
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6507 on: May 31, 2019, 11:48:28 PM

"Romp through the mythos", a contemporary reimagination of the original themes, would be my best description as a reader. Much tighter writing than the originals, but still has the same "slow burn" of the Cthulu cycle compared to typical modern works.

BTW, I can't seem to find a 6th on Amazon, and your "Buy Me" link above is broken.

--Dave

Edit, never mind, link is fixed.

EDIT2: Naming the last episode the same as the series, while also having an omnibus with that title, is very confusing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 11:56:07 PM by MahrinSkel »

--Signature Unclear
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #6508 on: June 01, 2019, 12:05:45 AM

It's definitely meant to be a slow burn, low-monster type of series. I wrote it with each novella being considered like an episode (or two-part episode) of a TV series, with the 6-part series like a full season of a show like Burn Notice. The only one in the pantheon mentioned by name is Cthulhu, though I draw other elements from a number of the Lovecraft stories (and only Lovecraft - none of the Dereleth or later additions).

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #6509 on: June 01, 2019, 03:32:08 PM

So, the follow up to the Excellent Children of Time is Shit.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 192 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: