Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2018, 09:07:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Shop: Amazon
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread Count Nerfedalot and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 563147 times)
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6405 on: August 21, 2018, 10:58:23 AM

Re-reading 1984 because the news wasn't depressing me quite enough.

Terrifying. Truly terrifying.

Why are you scared of the war with Eurasia?

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6406 on: August 21, 2018, 11:16:08 AM

I don't see the big deal. We've always been at war with those guys.
WayAbvPar

Reply #6407 on: August 22, 2018, 08:11:17 AM

Let's just say I am more and more amazed that Roger Ailes didn't call Fox News the Ministry of Truth.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Who the hell taught you how to write? Fuck, that sentence is like internet transmitted face-attacking knives. Jesus. schild
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6408 on: August 22, 2018, 09:14:53 AM

Let's just say I am more and more amazed that Roger Ailes didn't call Fox News the Ministry of Truth.

I re-read the book in the early part of the post 9/11 era and it seemed like that War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength was becoming the motto of the country.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6409 on: August 24, 2018, 09:56:22 AM

A constant battle between whether that or Brave New World is the story of our future. Really we've kind of got both now.

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you and other troops you control.

Reply #6410 on: August 24, 2018, 11:01:56 AM

The Internet is digital Soma.  why so serious?

MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #6411 on: August 25, 2018, 11:12:12 AM

The Internet is digital Soma.  why so serious?
"There was something called liberalism. Parliament, if you know what that was, passed a law against it. The records survive. Speeches about liberty of the subject. Liberty to be inefficient and miserable. Freedom to be a round peg in a square hole."

--Jello Biafra: "If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #6412 on: September 11, 2018, 01:06:02 PM

Have we discussed the Black Company on this page yet?  No?  Good.  There's actually a new book out today, Port of Shadows, although it'll be a bit before I personally can read it, but I thought some of you might care.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #6413 on: September 11, 2018, 05:14:10 PM

Not sure if this is the right place but bought Fear: Trump in the White House today for Kindle and began reading it over lunch.  Not my normal reading material.  This shit is crazy.  Still only on the campaign.  And while I am not down with him as a human, Bannon's brass balls appear to be really what made the absurd become a reality.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
WayAbvPar

Reply #6414 on: September 11, 2018, 06:51:39 PM

I bought it too, but gotta finish my current book first. Should get to it in a couple of days. I am sure it will enrage me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Who the hell taught you how to write? Fuck, that sentence is like internet transmitted face-attacking knives. Jesus. schild
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #6415 on: September 11, 2018, 07:39:03 PM

If I read it as speculative fiction it is fascinating and the bad guy hustler Bannon is a cool character.   Then I pause and think "no this shit is real" then I am  ACK! ACK! ACK!

only on page 96... was not very productive at work today   Ohhhhh, I see.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #6416 on: September 12, 2018, 11:48:47 AM

Have we discussed the Black Company on this page yet?  No?  Good.  There's actually a new book out today, Port of Shadows

wat

"Nice attempted blast about my "drinking".  I do enjoy a nice cuppa, but that is because I am a bon vivant of gregarious nature and cheery disposition." - Ab
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #6417 on: September 12, 2018, 12:40:32 PM

Thereís another one coming as well.  Heís been sitting on them for close to 20 years waiting out a contract or something like that.  I canít remember the full details.
Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #6418 on: September 12, 2018, 01:38:40 PM

Thereís another one coming as well.  Heís been sitting on them for close to 20 years waiting out a contract or something like that.  I canít remember the full details.

Ummm.  I have never heard anything like that, and I think that Tor has been his publisher for ages.  His output (all books) has dramatically declined in the past ten to fifteen years, and a good chunk of that time was spent wrapping up his other series.

There have been a scattering of Black Company short stories in that time.

Edit:

He has said that retiring from GM really slowed his work down, as he did more puttering and watching baseball then writing.  That being said, he has still released like 8 or 10 books since.  Just down from an average of 2/year in the '80s/'90s.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 02:02:30 PM by Johny Cee »
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #6419 on: September 12, 2018, 02:08:08 PM

Aw man, that's great!  Now to wait the 2-3 years for a paperback version.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6420 on: September 15, 2018, 07:57:09 PM

I was initially put off but once I got to the significant reveal around mid-book I was pretty hooked. Of the recent works of fantasy that have tried to deal with difficult questions of power, enslavement, history, memory, justice, etc., I think this one is pretty deft in the end. You end up with some sympathy for the people who've been bossing around the orogenes even as you recognize the ugliness of what they do to them; and there are deeper struggles going on that the protagonists are unaware of at the start.

I'm two books in so far and agree with what you say. However there is a certain looseness to the writing that is somewhat annoying. A lot of mary sue ex machina and hazy characterization; everyone is who they need to be all the time.

Now, some part of that might be argued to be the authorial concept of the narrative - but I don't really think it is deliberate.

Still enjoying it, and reading the third book now. But a bit short of great, for me. (It's no Ancillary Justice).

Expect poison from the standing water.
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: