Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2020, 04:39:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Return of the Book Thread  (Read 769786 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6545 on: May 15, 2020, 12:27:38 PM

So I just finished the Lightbringer series (http://www.brentweeks.com/series/the-lightbringer-series/) and it's decent at best. It had good characters, decent writing, but the total plot of the story was pretty weak as well as the conclusion to it. The magic system and lore of the world was really ripe for a great grand-arc story but I think it was squandered unfortunately. It felt empty at the end.
I read the first...2, maybe 3 books of this series and was kind of enjoying it. His Night's Angel series was really good, so I'll probably at least finish this one. Shame it doesn't hold up; I really liked the magic system.

I mean if you liked the first few, you'll like the last few. The ending seemed rushed. Probably could have had another book in there. The transition to the last element of the story was pretty abrupt. Also, you were beginning to learn a bit more about the history and prophecy and answer interesting questions and then all of the sudden it was like you missed a whole book of exposition on stuff.

If you finish it, ping me somewhere and we can compare notes.

From some of the author's notes, this was supposed to be a trilogy that got stretch out into a 5 book series. I'm willing to bet, he could have made it an 8 book series but he didn't because he didn't want to Robert Jordan it.

The whole setting and character are ripe for some kind of Black Company like treatment.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6546 on: June 02, 2020, 01:05:17 PM

Roughly 30 years after the rest of you have read it, I finally started Black Company.  I cannot yet put my finger on what it is, but it is written in a way that I have to adjust something in my brain to sorta....line up with it?  Does that make sense?  I mean, not as extreme as reading Dostoevsky, but some kind of adjustment to better absorb the language.  Strange. He has a certain way of writing. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6547 on: June 02, 2020, 01:18:11 PM

Roughly 30 years after the rest of you have read it, I finally started Black Company.  I cannot yet put my finger on what it is, but it is written in a way that I have to adjust something in my brain to sorta....line up with it?  Does that make sense?  I mean, not as extreme as reading Dostoevsky, but some kind of adjustment to better absorb the language.  Strange. He has a certain way of writing. 
Yeah, it's written in a very different manner than usual.  Took me a bit to adjust to it also.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6548 on: June 02, 2020, 09:25:37 PM

This will seem weird, but for some reason the first time I read it, The Black Company reminded me of Treasure Island both in the language and in the way that takes you into the mindset of pirates and makes that the main perspectival frame of most of the book, despite Jim being a good boy and all that. But it's also that the book has a kind of interesting archaism to it--it feels slightly musty in a good way.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #6549 on: June 02, 2020, 09:41:40 PM

For me it was the first fantasy book I'd read about being completely loyal to your friends and not worrying much about Good and Evil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6550 on: June 03, 2020, 11:47:00 AM

Cook lost his writing style after he went to writing full-time. Those first books were so magical because he wrote it while working in a factory. He'd think about what to write while working on his task, then while waiting for the next part to come down the line, would write it down.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6551 on: June 03, 2020, 06:51:30 PM

They're like a transcribed spoken history. Sort of like a memory and a dream. The first few books are great. I never finished the series though.

Expect poison from the standing water.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6552 on: June 03, 2020, 11:04:38 PM

I read a bunch and have a general memory of them. No idea where I stopped.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #6553 on: June 04, 2020, 01:20:52 AM

Reading Joel Shephard's  sci-fi series Spiral Wars.    He isn't breaking any new ground but for a Humans meet the rest of the universe tale it is pretty gosh darn good  why so serious?

Just finished book six and am a little concerned that it sounds like he is stretching it out to a 10 part series.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #6554 on: June 16, 2020, 01:11:18 PM

Figured that after a decade on f13 I needed to read the Chronicles of the Black Company. Definitely enjoyable, but I've not got any desire to read any more of the books.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #6555 on: June 16, 2020, 08:22:38 PM

I'm re-reading Cook's Garret P.I. series for the third time.

It's a perfect pre-sleep read for me. Enough going on to not get bored, but not too engrossing or at all challenging.

Expect poison from the standing water.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6556 on: June 17, 2020, 09:21:11 AM

Priory of the Orange Tree is a fairly good read but pretty bog-standard. Long and doesn't really earn it. Lots of the usual tropes but the characters kind of grabbed me well enough. I wouldn't rush to it.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #6557 on: June 17, 2020, 05:02:54 PM

Priory of the Orange Tree is a fairly good read but pretty bog-standard. Long and doesn't really earn it. Lots of the usual tropes but the characters kind of grabbed me well enough. I wouldn't rush to it.

started it got maybe 50 pages in and it never really grabbed me.  The beauty of libraries.

I just started Seven Blades in Black by Sam Sykes.  73 pages in and while I like the storyline so far his writing style is a huge turn off.  Given that I bought it as a spontaneous birthday gift to myself while on vacation I will grind on through it.  Or Catass to a victory of the final page as some of us might have once said so many years ago  awesome, for real

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #6558 on: June 17, 2020, 08:35:44 PM

Yeah. I have it on my shelf waiting. For anyone who didn't do Black Leopard, Red Wolf, that's fucking worth it. It's kind of like Ngugi wa'Thiongo, Robert E. Howard, George R.R. Martin and N.K. Jemisin had a baby.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6559 on: June 19, 2020, 06:38:16 PM

Figured that after a decade on f13 I needed to read the Chronicles of the Black Company. Definitely enjoyable, but I've not got any desire to read any more of the books.

A graphic novel without the graphics, you gain appreciation for it more as he switches points of view though and you wont get that unless you read multiple books.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #6560 on: June 20, 2020, 06:15:51 AM

I think Chronicles is the first 3 books? I enjoyed it, and I think the writing improved a lot between the first and second books. For me it was just a bit confusing and sometimes felt like a series of events instead of a cohesive narrative.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #6561 on: June 20, 2020, 06:51:52 AM

The first three books are the most disjointed and also the weirdest.  After the first three books, it basically then sets out on one long epic story/narrative for the next 6 books.  I'd say start reading the next one after (shadow games?) and if that one doesn't grab you, then you can probably skip the rest.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #6562 on: June 22, 2020, 03:32:41 AM

This means I now need to get another Black Company book because of f13? Just kidding, I'll pick it up some time and post my thoughts when I'm done. Thanks folks.
NowhereMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6563 on: June 22, 2020, 10:03:42 AM

When you're done with that go out and try a honeycrisp  awesome, for real

"Look at my car. Do you think that was bought with the earnest love of geeks?" - HaemishM
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #6564 on: June 22, 2020, 11:59:32 AM

When you're done with that go out and try a honeycrisp  awesome, for real

But only if you have a Diet Dr. Pepper to wash it down.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Pages: 1 ... 186 187 [188] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Return of the Book Thread  
Jump to: