Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:22:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ghost Rider 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghost Rider  (Read 12611 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #35 on: February 18, 2007, 09:49:29 PM

Heh....

Has anyone ever seen The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?  It's not bad,  but it's heavily stylized and feels like a kids movie.....   right until you see Uma Thurman's breasts.

Watched it in college,  and we couldn't figure out in the slightest what demographic that movie was shooting for.

That's the case with almost all of Gilliam's movies, I think (Munchausen is great btw).

The most recent is the Brothers Grimm. When I saw it, I was like, "Hey, this actually might be Gilliam's first children's movie. It not only looks like one, but it acts like one...".

I thought that right up until the point where I saw a little kitten get torn into shreds by a 19th century torturing device.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 18, 2007, 10:06:36 PM

Hell, I know all too many adults that won't watch movies with subtitles.  If they wanted to read, they'd get a book they all say.  It's a sad world.

I love a good many foreign movies and own a bunch of 'em, but the problem is that I never watch them anymore because of the way I watch TV.  I tend to multitask, and will sit at my desk either drawing or screwing around on the computer while watching a movie.  That's fine for English language movies, but I can't watch a subtitled movie like that.  Consequently, my copies of Das Boot, Downfall, Stalingrad, and all the Kurosawa movies I own never see my DVD player beyond their first viewing (when I actually give a movie my undivided attention).
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #37 on: February 19, 2007, 08:04:01 AM

Watched it in college,  and we couldn't figure out in the slightest what demographic that movie was shooting for.

People who like Terry Gilliam flicks. Seriously.

I love Munchausen, but I can see movie audiences just completely perplexed by it. It was the movie he did after Brazil, which I'm also sure coldcocked American moviegoers with the confusion fish.

As for Bridge, I've never read the book, and after seeing the trailer, really did think "Hey, that looks like Narnia." Disney execs should take some heat for that, because it sounds so badly mismarketed as to be a bait and switch.

The 3 people I've heard who went to see Ghost Rider all liked it.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 19, 2007, 08:26:35 AM

My girlfriend and I went to see Ghost Rider last night. She liked it more than I did. It had some good moments and a few meh moments, but I wouldn't say it was bad. To me it felt like most first installments, dragged down by the origin story, and some stuff that later gets fleshed out was somewhat skimpy. My biggest complaint was that Ghost Rider had only a few tricks up his sleeve in combat and he took out all but the last bad guy way to easily IMO.

And where was my montage damn it? I deserve a montage of Ghost Rider killing muggers and rapists and shit. Stopping bank robbers. Frying a kitten in a tree on accident. That kind of thing.

The best moment in the movie btw is shown in the trailers, the two Ghost Riders, past and present, riding together across the desert. I also liked the stylized Western music in that scene.

ETA: My take on individual actors:

Nic Cage: Did a pretty good job IMO. You could tell he was really into the movie and Eva's character. He wasn't always tortured enough for my taste.
Eva Mendes: Umm...she looked good. Her acting was pretty much like every other movie she's been in.
Peter Fonda: Tied for the best acting in the movie. I loved his version of the devil. I thought he was legitimately creepy and the movie was better every time he was in it. He also made me wish they'd had the balls to make the movie R and turned it into a genuine horror movie with some superhero trappings.
Sam Elliot: Is this guy even capable of bad acting? He was the other best actor in the movie. He added alot of heart to his role and I would love to see a prequel with his character, and I never want to see prequels usually.
The Villain: He was ok. I spent most of the movie wondering why he looked so familiar. I didn't know the actor but something in the way he was made up reminded me of some other character from another movie but I was never able to put my finger on it. The dude's dialogue wasn't terribly cheesy but it was the same stuff villains like him always say. For Example: He's in a church and a priest walks out he says "forgive me Father for I have sinned. Alot." Yeah, didn't see that coming.

If I had to rank superhero movies (only starting from the '70s here and what I've seen)

Superman 1 (I admit pure nostalgia carries this one for me. Best. Tagline. Ever. "You will believe a man can fly." and I did after that movie.)
Spiderman 2/Batman Begins - tie
Spiderman 1
Xmen 2
Xmen 3/Superman 2. - tie (sorry guys, I didn't think Xmen 3 was a total turd of a movie like you did.)
Xmen 1
Ghost Rider
Batman Returns (the penguins with rockets strapped to their backs lost this movie nearly all the credit that the early parts had built up)
Fantastic Four
Batman Forever
Batman and Robin
« Last Edit: February 19, 2007, 08:31:57 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #39 on: February 20, 2007, 01:31:46 AM

On a sidenote, I didn't realize Cage got his stage name from Luke Cage. Luke freakin' Cage.

That's actually pretty cool.

He also named his son Kal-El.

Not sure if that's cool or not.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: February 20, 2007, 01:48:16 AM

No.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 20, 2007, 11:08:35 AM

Yeah, it totally should have been Zod.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ghost Rider  
Jump to: