Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:19:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ghost Rider 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Ghost Rider  (Read 12676 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: May 23, 2006, 05:57:59 PM

Ghost Rider trailer now up.

Fuck, why would they want to put a trailer out this far in advance.  From the looks of this, they should have kept this shit hidden for as long as possible.  Looks like it has the potential to be "Catwoman" bad.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2007, 11:10:54 PM by Velorath »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 06:26:54 PM

Man, those effects look cheap.

Looks like it has the potential to be "Catwoman" bad.

But I guess that means I'll like it....A little  evil
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 08:25:13 PM

Yeah his skull, among other things, just looks wrong for whatever reason. Also a February release date means Columbia doesn't have much confidence in the film.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 09:56:21 AM

I liked the trailer. But I don't expect great things from the movie anyway, because Nick Cage is either hit or miss for me. In the movies that are big budgety action types, he hasn't been great. He's better in movies like Lord of War.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 10:50:45 AM

Bah, it has nothing to do with Neil Peart. I lost interest when I clicked.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 04:46:45 PM

I liked the trailer. But I don't expect great things from the movie anyway, because Nick Cage is either hit or miss for me. In the movies that are big budgety action types, he hasn't been great. He's better in movies like Lord of War.

Do me a favor, order these 7 issues and read them.  They collect the final 14 issues of the Johnny Blaze series.  This is the real Ghost Rider, not the early issues where Blaze was in control of the Ghost Rider, and not the 90's series.  At this point in the series Johnny isn't in control when he transforms.  The Ghost Rider himself is a sadistic demon that likes to fry peoples' souls.  Johnny still has enough control to compell the demon to go after the guilty for the most part, but it's still fun watching the Ghost Rider torment people and it really feels like more of a curse than just giving a guy a flaming skull and superpowers.  Seriously, read that shit.

Edit: Normally I wouldn't suggest ordering anything for Milehighcomics since their prices tend to be fucking rip-offs.  This is a pretty good deal though for these issues.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 04:49:04 PM by Velorath »
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 05:43:05 PM

Could someone point me to a mirror of these trailers?

Can't get it to load.

If not, don't worry about it.  I'm not on the edge of my seat.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 05:47:19 PM

Think they trailers are exclusive to Apple.com for now.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 06:10:15 PM

Think they trailers are exclusive to Apple.com for now.

True but you can view on Youtube, before it gets taken down that is.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 11:04:04 PM

Hm. I thought it looked decent. Better than The Punisher or Catwoman, certainly.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 11:13:27 PM

Nic Cage just seems wrong for the role.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 09:57:13 PM

Nic Cage just seems wrong for the role.

I agree.  He seems to be miscast a lot, in my opinion.  He was great in National Treasure, though.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 08:46:26 AM

He has too much of a baby-face to play most tough-guy roles.  You can't feel threatened by someone whose cheeks you always want to pinch.  He does make for a rather hot geek though...

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #13 on: February 16, 2007, 11:10:35 PM

I can tell anyone thinking of watching this movie that it's probably safe to just skip it.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: February 16, 2007, 11:51:01 PM

It looks horrible - Ghost Rider could be dark but this looks jokey and dopey. The guy is the Spirit of Vengeance!

---

I have very pinchable cheeks - hate them. I hate my face. I never smile because it makes my chipmunk cheeks even worse. (Plus - I'm an asshole and never smiling comes with that territory)

I have the body of an underwear model too - what a waste. Like God did that to torment me on purpose.

Okay that was a bit dramatic but the general point stands.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 12:17:31 AM

It looks horrible - Ghost Rider could be dark but this looks jokey and dopey. The guy is the Spirit of Vengeance!

---

I have very pinchable cheeks - hate them. I hate my face. I never smile because it makes my chipmunk cheeks even worse. (Plus - I'm an asshole and never smiling comes with that territory)

I have the body of an underwear model too - what a waste. Like God did that to torment me on purpose.

Okay that was a bit dramatic but the general point stands.

It's pretty bad and none of the other guys that watched it at my work liked it either.  Bad acting (although Cage isn't too bad), bad villains, and special effects that range from meh to shit.  If you have to watch a new movie this weekend, watch Breach.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 12:23:02 AM

It's sad that the theater here is $2.50 on Tuesday nights and I'm still wondering if it's worth it to see this.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 12:27:58 AM

It's sad that the theater here is $2.50 on Tuesday nights and I'm still wondering if it's worth it to see this.

You can go watch Bridge to Terabithia.  If you enjoy watching children cry as they leave the theater you'll get your $2.50's worth.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 12:55:45 AM

What is with that movie anwyay?

(SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Isn't that a book where some girl swings on a rope in a storm, falls off and drowns?

How the hell did that get turned into some Narnia thing? Is that their imaginary world or something?

I always am amused that there is an entire genre of books meant to freak out kids. Bridge to Terabithia, A Taste of Blackberries, Chicken Little, etc. Kind of fucked up. Who writes that stuff, sadists?

Edit: Looking on IMDB apparently the fantasy stuff is just trailer garbage meant to trick kids into going because Disney doesn't have the balls to market the movie based on what actually happens in it.

Also it is full of

PARENTS READ!!!
SPOILER
I JUST GOT BACK AND..!!!

I added a spoiler to my own comments just now, just in case someone here lacks a 3rd grade education. tongue

Edit2: Holy God, I cannot stop laughing. (Although, actually..this is kind of similar to what I just said above...)

vampirehipi23  wrote:
This movie began like a fairy-tale, relating real life to Terabithia. I think this movie would have been much better if the author hadnt killed off the main character! What a jerk! This is an extremely sad movie! They dont even end up kissing, whats up with that? The story line was good until the girl died. The girl had a sad life until she met that kid, then she finally had a friend, and died. Horrible ending. I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this

Somehow this turned into an entire thread! Someone further down agreed and complained about the effects! THE EFFECTS! (Although some of that you can blame on the bait-and-switch trailers)

What an amazing world we've made for ourselves - someone writes a heartfelt tale about friendship and loss (based on a true story) and people complain that the movie version didn't have enough CGI crap in it!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2007, 01:24:05 AM by Margalis »

Llava
Contributor

Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 08:34:46 AM

I fell asleep with the TV on the other night, and I woke up to what I believe was a commercial.  It was a rather long clip of a scene in Ghost Rider.  I'm fairly sure that whatever I was watching wasn't interviewing anyone from the movie, so I doubt it was  a promotional clip... either way, that convinced me to save my time.  The best way to advertise a movie like this is to not show a single goddamn thing in the  hopes that people haven't realized to recognize that as a sign of shit to come.

Like with Catwoman, when none of the trailers had a word of dialogue in them.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #20 on: February 17, 2007, 08:56:15 AM

Somehow this turned into an entire thread! Someone further down agreed and complained about the effects! THE EFFECTS! (Although some of that you can blame on the bait-and-switch trailers)

What an amazing world we've made for ourselves - someone writes a heartfelt tale about friendship and loss (based on a true story) and people complain that the movie version didn't have enough CGI crap in it!

I think it can be pretty much blamed completely on the bait-and-switch trailers.  It's like Disney realized they weren't going to have another Narnia ready this year, so they felt compelled to market this movie as some kind of fantasy.  Having read the book in school as a kid, after watching the trailer the first time I thought there was no way in hell they were going to do make the movie anything like the book, let alone keep the ending.  But they did, and now I have crying kids and angry parents to look forward to, like the parent who complained that the Transformers trailer in front of Night at the Museum scared her kids and gave them nightmares (I think they were 6 and 8 years old).  Kids are whiny bitches today.
MuffinMan
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: February 17, 2007, 11:27:48 AM

I have nightmares from the Transformers trailer but I'm sure it's for totally different reasons.

I'm very mysterious when I'm inside you.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #22 on: February 17, 2007, 02:35:24 PM

We did what we never do and went to a movie on a Friday night because we had babysitting available. Wanted to see Breach but it was sold out. I was parking the car so my wife bought tickets to Ghost Rider.  It wasn't the absolute worst movie I've ever seen, but it was pretty lousy. It was just boring. The fight scenes were really stupid and it was too long. Mendes has some nice hooters though.

Lesson: don't let your wife buy the movie tickets.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
angry.bob
Terracotta Army

We're no strangers to love. You know the rules and so do I.

Reply #23 on: February 17, 2007, 08:48:43 PM

I have nightmares from the Transformers trailer but I'm sure it's for totally different reasons.

Yeah, a bunch of friends showed me the clip thinking I'd love it, but it made me decide my blood pressure would not take seeing the movie.

Also, here's another spoiler:

DON'T TAKE CHILDREN TO SEE PAN'S LABYRINTH. It's a great movie, but man... they really need warn people that just because a movie has an animated demi-human in it doesn't mean it's okay for kids. I would normally say it's on the parents to know, but every ad I've seen here in the States for it makes it out to be another Narnia too. Man, somebody needs to go back and CG a unicorn or something into Stalingrad, make some TV ads and posters with bunnies drinking tea, and then film the audience.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 12:35:35 AM

DON'T TAKE CHILDREN TO SEE PAN'S LABYRINTH. It's a great movie, but man... they really need warn people that just because a movie has an animated demi-human in it doesn't mean it's okay for kids. I would normally say it's on the parents to know, but every ad I've seen here in the States for it makes it out to be another Narnia too. Man, somebody needs to go back and CG a unicorn or something into Stalingrad, make some TV ads and posters with bunnies drinking tea, and then film the audience.

I'd take a kid to a Saw movie before I'd take them to the bloodbath that is Pan's Labyrinth.  Seriously.  Not at all a kids' movie.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 12:43:17 AM

I don't know to many people that take their kids to see movies with subtitles anyway.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 01:08:10 AM

My mom took me to subtitled movies at every opportunity when I was a kid.  Especially if they were in Spanish, because then I got to practice my reading and she got to ignore the subtitles and practice her Spanish.

Come to think of it, I should probably warn her off this one lest she bring my littler siblings to see it.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 01:14:56 AM

Hell, I know all too many adults that won't watch movies with subtitles.  If they wanted to read, they'd get a book they all say.  It's a sad world.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 01:57:58 AM

I think that's why I was dragged to a bunch of subtitled movies as a child.  My mother also knows a lot of adults like that, and didn't want me growing up to be one of them.   tongue

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 02:04:56 AM

I've known people who wouldn't even watch black and white movies with me. Not even fairly recent, stylized-to-be-black-and-white films like Raging Bull or Pi. Let alone Sunset Blvd or the Third Man. Forget about subtitled b&w films.

As far as I'm concerned, they've missed out on so many required rite of passage moments in cinema that they aren't worth talking to about anything.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #30 on: February 18, 2007, 02:09:08 AM

I don't know to many people that take their kids to see movies with subtitles anyway.

When I saw Pan's.. there was a lady and what I assumed was her grandson sitting a  just few rows behind me.  The kid wanted to leave because he would have to read. He was very upset that it was in Spanish. Spoiled fat little turd; embodiment of all that sucks with this country.  It was nice to be bothered by this for the first 10-15 minutes of the movie.

So grandma whispered the entire movie to him.  I wanted to turn around and fucking scream at them. My wife knows how much I hate talkers in movies, hate noisey kids, hate parents that take their kids to movies they shouldn't see.  The look on her face when the whispering started was priceless.  Pure worry that I as about to fly off into a rage.  Hand on her purse, like we'd have to flee the movie after I threw junior down into the first row from the stadium seating.

Somehow I managed to block the whispering from my mind and get on with watching the movie.  This is the most self restraint I've ever shown in any situation that Ican think of.  I'm not sure how I did it..

That said.. I hope the little bastard had nightmares and grandma is blamed for it and thrown in a nursing home.

-Rasix
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #31 on: February 18, 2007, 02:18:03 AM

In the same boat as you. Last few times at the theater I haven't showed much restraint.

I'll probably get killed in a theater one day.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #32 on: February 18, 2007, 09:52:17 AM

DON'T TAKE CHILDREN TO SEE PAN'S LABYRINTH.

The fucking movie is Rated R.

What more do they need?

RATED R!!!!!!

Anyone who ignores that, I hope they DO take the kid to see the movie- I just want them to be put in their own separate theater, away from the people who really want to see the movie.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: February 18, 2007, 02:53:54 PM

But how do you really feel Rasix??

The trailer people do try to intentionally mislead people, but yes, the movie is rated R. Bridge is rated PG I believe. Not that I think kids shouldn't watch Bridge, just that the trailers are very misleading.

Subtitles are fine with me. They are slightly annoying in movies that have a lot of visual detail. But that is a small price to pay to see a good movie and avoid an awful dub.

Johny Cee
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: February 18, 2007, 09:26:48 PM

Heh....

Has anyone ever seen The Adventures of Baron Munchausen?  It's not bad,  but it's heavily stylized and feels like a kids movie.....   right until you see Uma Thurman's breasts.

Watched it in college,  and we couldn't figure out in the slightest what demographic that movie was shooting for.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: Ghost Rider  
Jump to: