Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:26:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Phase 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Phase 3  (Read 33114 times)
Sable Blaze
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: June 29, 2004, 10:23:30 AM

Vex Thall. Enough said.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #71 on: June 29, 2004, 11:28:38 AM

Quote from: Sable Blaze
Vex Thall. Enough said.

You're overestimating the catassitude of your audience. I'm not sure many here got that far and thus would be able to emphasize.

But yah, I got to hear some friends bitch about Vex Thall constantly.  One of their more staggering pooch screws.

-Rasix
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: June 29, 2004, 11:33:44 AM

The biggest gripe I hear about Vex Thal is although it is a great place for gearing up for higher planes everybody I know who hunts there complains its boring. These guys are hardened raiders and most raids do not phase them but they all say that Vex just bores them to tears.

Kaid
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: June 29, 2004, 12:01:49 PM

I heard Verdantine was a clusterfuck of tools, Meso. Please to be giving more info.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: June 29, 2004, 12:24:33 PM

Quote from: Sable Blaze
Vex Thall. Enough said.

EYES

GOGGLES

NOTHING

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #75 on: June 29, 2004, 12:24:35 PM

You're overestimating the catassitude of your audience. I'm not sure many here got that far and thus would be able to emphasize.  

Luckily my guild screwed me on the necro epic (heh, I mean moreso than SOE) by handing off the part I had worked for weeks (after helping the guild leadership get all theirs, of course) to a guy who rarely showed up for any events (I was usually early), but was friends with the 'inner circle'.

Between that and looking at the Plane of Air raid we were supposed to do next, one of those long, multihour catass affairs, I haven't logged into EQ since the day I quit 'for good' a couple years ago. Ended up level 54, only 'big' raids I did were Hate and Fear, and I don't feel like I missed out on anything excepting things I could have been doing other than hate and fear. Hell, on one of those raids, my rl buddy came over with his computer and we played xbox games while everyone sat around yanking their puds.

I'd crush and burn my nuts in a george foreman grill before I'd play EQ again.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: June 29, 2004, 12:41:32 PM

EQ endgame does not really require raids.  I never really understood the logic that goes "I hate raiding so EQ can fuck themselves".  I can understand less melodramic varients of it, and the melodrama is probably just based on the forum itself.

I am done with EQ.  I have been so for about a year or more.  I forget when exactly.  My character ended up level 58 (ranger) and I think I went on... um... maybe six raids tops.  I did air with a friends guild because I knew they were competent and it would go well.  It was painfully long and not really worth it, even though I did get a haste belt out of it because all other rangers had far better.  So I just chose not to raid much.  We did small things that our guild could do with 6 people.  Nothing earth shattering but when we were getting together we were still having a good time.  Got together with 2 groups of that other guild and did some boss mob in nightmare one night.  That was fun.  I got a decent bow because again the other rangers had better.  In the end I just grew too tired of it to log in anymore.  LDON kept it interesting for awhile with the small groups, but it got boring long before I qualified for any decent rewards.  I guess I was just lucky with a small group of good friends.

I don't get how a game (any game) can make anyone that angry.  Ranting for no apparent reason can be fun though.  I have done it myself, but I never took myself seriously.  I always assumed others were just joking around as well.  I hope that is the case.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: June 29, 2004, 12:45:11 PM

Quote from: Soukyan
I heard Verdantine was a clusterfuck of tools, Meso. Please to be giving more info.

I've had one griefer incident.  Basically new characters reach a greeter who tells them to open a nearby chest, remove an application, and hand it to the greeter.  I have no idea why they have this - I suppose its so that brand newbies can waste time trying to figure out how to open a chest.  At any rate, no one can use the chest until the last person to open it closes it.  

So of course Jackass wanders in, opens the chest, and watches the lowbies pile up in the room.  And you can't report the character to GMs because a Harassment Report requires the name of the griefer but - of course, the game database apparently doesn't register the new char's name immediately, so you have to wait.

Shit like that.

And the usual "do u need a patron?" activities.

On the other hand I've had a lot of stuff just outright given to me, once people found out that I was a genuine "new" AC player.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: June 29, 2004, 12:52:45 PM

Much obliged. Think I'll give it a whirl.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #79 on: June 29, 2004, 03:53:53 PM

I tried the $12.95 AC trial not long ago.  Evidently, I have become ugly intolerant.  I just couldn't stand to look at it and never even made it out of the tutorial.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: June 29, 2004, 04:24:52 PM

Quote from: Signe
I tried the $12.95 AC trial not long ago.  Evidently, I have become ugly intolerant.  I just couldn't stand to look at it and never even made it out of the tutorial.

Never be ashamed about being an eye candy whore.  If I'm going to be staring at a screen for hours and paying a monthly fee to boot, it'd better damned well look decent.  AC's been around for how long now and they haven't given it a facelift yet?  Sorry Charlie, you guys should have gotten off of your asses and done it by now.  Oh, I realize that they thought everyone would migrate over to AC2, but hey, this is what happens when you produce crap.

This is a company that had MS backing, put out one of the first MMOG's and they couldn't get their shit together or see the handwriting on the wall?  No sympathy.  What really gets me is that they have two other decent licenses to work with in the chute that they're also going to butcher.  At this point Cryptic is making all other developers look like rank amateurs, and I'm as giddy as a little school girl about it.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: June 29, 2004, 04:33:39 PM

The graphics bugged me when I fired it up.  But after a few hours it was suddenly somewhat transparent to me.  

Same thing that happens with great graphics, really.  A few hours of "hey kewl" followed by 100+ hours of "tree, tree, tree, rock,...here I am, dungeon."

Edit: I should also note that there has been a fair amount of lag on Verdantine as well.  Some rubber banding, but not much.  Mainly lag in moving and picking up / looting items.  ATM the server seems to top out at about 2100 people a night.

-Numtini
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: June 30, 2004, 06:43:36 AM

If I'm going to be staring at a screen for hours and paying a monthly fee to boot, it'd better damned well look decent.

I've been saying that for years, too. It's also why I bitch about people who put technology ahead of style. Style holds up over time, being as stylish as possible with the technology you have. Technology gets old real fast, all the tech that went into the fancy maps on the npcs in Thief:DS didn't stop them from being poorly animated wooden freaks, eminently forgettable. No style imo. Ditto for the 'realistic' movement, any game that boasts photorealism needs a kick in the junk.

Same thing that happens with great graphics, really.  A few hours of "hey kewl" followed by 100+ hours of "tree, tree, tree, rock,...here I am, dungeon."
All that said with Mesozoic's caveat in mind, naturally. AC had a great huge but relatively sparse and empty landscape. SWG looked a lot nicer, but the landscape features weren't as good, and you still had that effect of a big empty world devoid of any real reason to explore it (I explored both AC and SWG's game worlds, because I dig that kind of thing....when there's lots of cool stuff to find, AC is > SWG in that regard imo).
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: June 30, 2004, 07:56:30 AM

AC was very fun to explore in it's day.  The expansive landscapes were very new at the time for mmogs.   Sure the textures became a blobby mess in the distance and the terrain was insanely simplified in the distance unless your ram was above the norm at the time, but it actually had some distant vista's.  Very fun to see what is over the next hill.  The shitty gameplay for the melee is what drove me away.  I was an archer, and that was fun, but everyone had to pretty much just do their own thing in combat because the melee served no special role without an ability to block mobs or taunt.  That gameplay drove me away pretty fast.  And I didn't like the very generic spells.  The magic system was pretty neat, the spells the system made sucked.

SWG never had much exploration interest for me.  The hills were too meaningless for me to suspend disbelief and even call what was on the screen terrain.  It was 100% eye candy with no actual purpose.  Now I hear that terrain blocks shots finally.  That is good, but with no jumping and falling damage, exploration just seems lacking for me.  I don't know how to describe it better.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #84 on: June 30, 2004, 08:02:47 AM

Ok, since I R LAZY and yet somehow curious, what is the Verdantine server on AC1 and why is it special?

It's not like I'm going to pay Turbine for anything after AC2, especially not now that DAoC has hooked me again.

Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: June 30, 2004, 08:07:08 AM

It is a clean slate fresh start server where the catasses can race to see who gets to level bazillion the first in 3 days.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: June 30, 2004, 08:52:25 AM

Here's what brother bin over at grimwell's site had to say as a...err...review?
Fight the "commie  PINKOs" on verdantine...

or is that fight as the commie pinkos on verdantide..?? its all so confuzing....

pk ... taste great

pk-lite ...less filling,  

... tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....tastes great...less filling....

JOIN the DarkTide resistance to commie pink-ness.... JOIN the DarkTide ZoneTroopers.... on Verdantine.!!
 make it a slave colony.

He's one of the guys that reminds me why I hate mmogs :P
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #87 on: June 30, 2004, 09:01:33 AM

JOIN the DarkTide resistance to commie pink-ness.... JOIN the DarkTide ZoneTroopers.... on Verdantine.!!
 make it a slave colony.

And then he complains that no one wants to play with him.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #88 on: July 01, 2004, 08:40:13 AM

Is that assmunch trying to get people to play on Darktide, or on Verdantine? Is Verdantine like PK, only with less carbs?

I R CONFUSED.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: July 01, 2004, 09:01:04 AM

I do not know. I never know what the hell he's talking about, but I figured by the topic title it was relevant. If you can decipher it.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: July 01, 2004, 09:06:21 AM

Verdantine is not PK.  It is a standard server, just new.  I don't know what that self-parody is talking about.

-Numtini
Mi_Tes
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: July 01, 2004, 09:09:17 AM

I am playing some AC on the Verdantine server and having a good time starting as a n00b again.  I don't PK and it isn't a red server like Darktide, however there are some people who go red or pink on Verdantine.  Maybe they wanted the challenge of who could be the best pk on the white servers?  I couldn't tell the point of the post either and just guessing.

We never do anything half-assed, with us its either full-ass or no-ass!
To win is not always a victory, to lose not always a failure.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: July 02, 2004, 05:15:23 AM

Quote from: Mi_Tes
Maybe they wanted the challenge of who could be the best pk on the white servers?  I couldn't tell the point of the post either and just guessing.

I think its just DTers who want in on the new shiny.

-Numtini
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Phase 3  
Jump to: