Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:25:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Phase 3 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WoW Phase 3  (Read 33102 times)
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

on: June 15, 2004, 05:27:01 PM

World of Warcraft has just added a huge patch, and if all goes well, phase 3 will start with a new round of beta emails.

Here are the patch notes.

http://www.WorldofWarcraft.com/patchnotes/patch-6-12-04.shtml

Nice changes to the rest system.

Rest State Changes

The Rest State system has undergone several changes. There are now three tiers of rest states: Rested = 200% experience, Normal = 150% experience and Tired = 100% experience.

The rest timer is much more flexible than before, allowing players to gradually accumulate incremental rest credit for all time spent logged out. Additionally, people who do not log into World of Warcraft for several days will gain bonus rest credit. This will allow those who only play once or twice a week the added bonus of playing as rested (200% experience) for longer periods of time than those who play on a daily basis.

Players also have the ability to rest anywhere in the world. This should help players who forget or choose not to log off at an inn. Resting at an inn is still the preferred method, as rest credit will accumulate four times faster for players logged off inside of an inn.

Lastly, the Rest State modifier is now level-based using a sliding scale to determine how much experience you can gain at each tier instead of the previous flat 20,000 experience per level.

Enter the City to Rest

When visiting one of the six main cities (Darnassus, Ironforge, Orgrimmar, Stormwind, Thunder Bluff and The Undercity), players will no longer need to check into the inn to rest. Players will however still need to seek an innkeeper to receive a hearthstone or to bind themselves to the city.

In this initial implementation, there will be some areas close to the cities that will allow a player to rest without actually being in the city. There are also some areas within each city that are not currently activated for resting. Please be sure to check the character portrait to ensure that the character is resting before logging off. The team is aware of this and will continue to work through these areas.

As before, you will still need to rest at an Inn in smaller towns.

All good stuff IMO, and greatly needed.

PVP is live, and they have added the seconed server for Race Wars. I will be starting a character on this server.
We already have a thread to cover this.

There was a few buffs (thief) (Warrior) and a few nerfs (Warlock) (Priest) and a stealth nerf (Mage) in the form of ADDING a dot effect to their main attack spell, to stop the damage, sleep, damage, sleep, damage, sleep, combo.

Unlike other patches, they are NOT locking characters, only wiping items.

Items Deleted
With a few exceptions, all items and currency are being deleted for this patch. The following items will not be deleted: Bags, Scarlet Key, all Shaman Totems and the Hearthstone. Each character will be assigned funds based on their level.

Players will be able to redo quests that have already been completed in order to gain back quest items.

As you might expect, there is MUCH gnashing of teeth on the forums about this.

They have finally added resists, also upped the level cap, and added player mounts. Each race has their own mount, but any race can learn any other races mount, it just costs more skill points to learn.

And just for Signe and Haemish...
Small pets are now in the game. Look for an NPC selling cats, rabbits, parrots and a variety of other ambient creatures.

Wonder how many gerbils named Boo I am going to see?
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 07:38:31 PM

I'm going to play stupid here and ask this question, which I'm sure has been covered before, but here goes:

Why 200, 150, and 100 percent? If a character logging on (whether for the first time or the next day after a previous play session) is going to be rested, should the numbers not be based off of the "standard" character state? In other words, the rest system is not a bonus, it's just a time based dimishing returns system. Similar to DAoC using diminishing returns on an experience bonus if you "camped" a spawn for too long. At least with DAoC, if someone had previously been camping the hell out of a spawn, the bonus would still be gone, but in WoW, it is individual based. So technically, the percentages are arbitrarily named here solely for marketing and PR purposes and to try to fool the potential players into thinking they are getting "something more". In reality, you are earning 100%, then 75%, then 50% since each time you start, your character is in a rested state. Now I don't have a problem with the system itself. I was just wondering if perhaps I was misunderstanding it. I think they should just be straight with players and say that they are nerfing your experience over time played to slow the rate of advancement and hopefully lower the level deviation between hardcore and casual players. No need to glorify it and say it's a bonus when it is not. Players are not that stupid and min/maxers are going to always be well rested anyhow, no matter how you state it. As a matter of fact, you can bet that playstyle will evolve around that system for almost all players simply because players in a achievement level-based environment are always going to want to maximize the experience per kill. If I'm totally wrong, please explain what I am missing.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 08:01:02 PM

It's PR.  Right now, any time someone says that the rest system sucks, about 37,000 drooling fanbois start screaming ITS NOT AN PENALTY ITS A BONUS YOU DUMBASS ONLY EVERQUEST USES PENALTIES!!!111!

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Volm

Email
Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 08:15:09 PM

A healthy chunk of the experience your character gains is through questing (Probably somewhere around 70%), so to me the pve experience seems like a bonus in and of itself.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: June 15, 2004, 08:19:49 PM

Quote from: Soukyan
Why 200, 150, and 100 percent?

Two reasons.

1) PR like stated above. People feel better getting 100% over 50%.

2) When they implimented the rest system, the exp stayed the same, but they doubled the AMOUNT of exp needed to level, so the monsters where still giving 100% of the exp they used to, and when rested they gave 200% they exp they used to. But since they doubled the exp needed to level 200% is really 100%.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 15, 2004, 08:35:41 PM

Quote from: Morphiend

2) When they implimented the rest system, the exp stayed the same, but they doubled the AMOUNT of exp needed to level, so the monsters where still giving 100% of the exp they used to, and when rested they gave 200% they exp they used to. But since they doubled the exp needed to level 200% is really 100%.

Isn't that kind of like being a government employee, having them reduce your pay by 50%, but then saying, "Hey!  We've also lowered your taxes by 50%!"

C'mon, it's straight PR.  Not that I really care one way or another having never played WoW, but to call this anything but a penalty for catassery is pure spin.  Anyone who'd buy the "it's a bonus" rap is a nimrod.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #6 on: June 15, 2004, 09:09:20 PM

Consider that they have upped the required experience for every level.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #7 on: June 15, 2004, 09:18:47 PM

Is there an echo in here?

PS. I won't get in. I know it. Non shitty betas hate me.

-Rasix
geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #8 on: June 15, 2004, 10:33:17 PM

I thought I signed up for World of Warcraft beta, but no sign of email confirmation in my records.  I suspect that the form lagged out and it somehow never got processed.

Ah well, according to the webpage there will be an open beta prior to release.   If we've the bandwidth to download the client, we'll all get our free preview eventually.

Personally, I'm not holding my breath.  I've seen no sign to indicate that Worlds or Warcraft is anything more than just. another. sterotypical. levelquest. MMORPG.

I have hit the bloody treadmill wall in CoH, but it's yet to be topped so far as the fun factor is concerned.   If you can't pull off that initial fun, I won't even get far enough into the game to determine if I find the overall driving purpose behind the game worthwhile or not.

HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #9 on: June 15, 2004, 11:37:41 PM

Quote from: HRose

And the bonuses last for a lot less time now (you loose the well rested bonus very fast).

Basically is a sneaky uber boost to the grind.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: June 15, 2004, 11:40:49 PM

Quote from: Big Gulp
but to call this anything but a penalty for catassery is pure spin.  Anyone who'd buy the "it's a bonus" rap is a nimrod.

Its a none catass bonus for me. I dont have the time. So...

I like the rest system. Keeps the catass from shooting up like they have been asking for, but keep the leveling speed high for the casual gamer like me.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11 on: June 15, 2004, 11:43:15 PM

And the bonuses last for a lot less time now (you loose the well rested bonus very fast).

Basically is a sneaky uber boost to the grind.

At lower levels yeah, but my high level friend was hitting rested in about an hour, because of the flat 20,000 exp wall. Basically it makes lower levels frop rest faster, but higher levels drop rest slower.
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: June 16, 2004, 12:31:31 AM

I'd like to see a beta forum where someone makes an official "This game rawks thread." Beta isn't used for that. And every time someone steps out of that thread to say "this game rawks" he should get a 24 hour ban. If only to keep the splattering to a minimal. Or maybe their own "This Game Rawks" forum.

Edit: The above was ONLY for my enjoyment. It'll never happen. It would be considered bad PR.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 16, 2004, 06:06:47 AM

The fact that zombies need to rest gives me a chuckle.

Otherwise, the only thing that is interesting is that the developers spent time putting pets in the game.  That would seem to indicate that they feel that the rest of the game is in pretty good shape.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 16, 2004, 06:54:18 AM

Of course zombies sleep. Otherwise how could bad musicians play loud enough to wake the dead if the dead don't sleep.

kaid
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: June 16, 2004, 06:56:51 AM

Thanks for the clarification everyone.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #16 on: June 16, 2004, 07:23:53 AM

Bunnies!  Woo hoo!  Do they do anything?  Can they be gunbunnies?  I once produced a poster for a band named Gunbunnies.  It was as tall as Harvey and packed awesome gear.  I fell in love with it.  It was NOT a furry... it was a real bunny.  Really.

Anyway... I've always been fond of the idea of resting offline.  In that old Mac game, Clanlord, you could park your butt in the library and slowly level your skills.  Righ has been parked there for 3 years without once logging in.  I rather doubt he'll ever log in again.  He must be very, very uber by now.

If WoW has a penchant for choosing testers that are active in the forums, I, also, stand little chance of getting in.  It's all good.  I'm more than happy to wait for open beta or release rather than regularly logging into that scary place.  I'm not sure that companies really choose testers that way... I think it's a ruse.  It's probably just a lottery.  If it were true, they wouldn't be able to fill a thimble with the amount of intelligent members on that board.  These days I take everything a game company tells me without any salt at all.  They are the masters of empty wibble.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #17 on: June 16, 2004, 08:55:09 AM

Quote from: Big Gulp
Anyone who'd buy the "it's a bonus" rap is a nimrod.

We ARE talking about Blizzard fanbois here.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004, 09:36:08 AM

but they doubled the AMOUNT of exp needed to level

Egads, I hate mmogs.
schild
Administrator

Reply #19 on: June 16, 2004, 09:39:53 AM

Quote from: Sky

Egads, I hate mmogs.

Nice Avatar, Iron Man.
Mackey

Email
Reply #20 on: June 16, 2004, 11:04:11 AM

Like someone mentioned, the rest state system is one of diminishing returns. Whether they label it 200%/150%/100%, or 100%/75%/50% is unimportant, really.

Some things in the game, such as skill points, are based on your base xp earned. So in theory, if I earn a lot of my xp while tired and someone else earns almost all of their xp when well rested, I will have a  lot more skill points at the same level as them, come the end of the day. So it *is* more then just a bonus/penalty, tho one could argue how much more.

What it does seem to do is act as a deterrent to sitting down and grinding at a camp for several hours. As someone else mentioned, quests give a pretty large amount of XP (XP which is not counted in the rest state system), so unless you are killing a lot of mobs while doing your quests, the rest system may not even become an issue.

I haven't checked out the new rest system in beta3 yet, but it doesn't seem true that min/maxers would always be at well rested. From a pure numbers stand-point, you could get to a point in Beta 2 were you would make more xp if you logged off for 8 hours then played for 4 more hours at fully rested then if you tried to grind out xp for 12 straight hours. On the other hand, most of the time grinding through would provide more returns, were one so inclined.

It's certainly an interesting concept of trying to address the whole "xp grind" and push people towards doing the quests (which WoW seems mostly about) instead of just racing to the level cap.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #21 on: June 16, 2004, 11:53:40 AM

Quote from: schild
Quote from: Sky

Egads, I hate mmogs.

Nice Avatar, Iron Man.

And here I was expecting a tee-hee!

It's Man of Iron, btw. Already deleted lest some uptight loser decide that seeing a marvel knockoff destroys the immersiveness of beating up endless hordes of faceless thugs.

CoH and Planetside aren't really mmogs, ask the mmog players! Not enough challenging boredom.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 12:15:56 PM

CoH and Planetside aren't really mmogs, ask the mmog players! Not enough challenging boredom.

Tee-Hee!  (there you go)

Imagine how shitty the free open beta for wow will be?  There is no way in HELL it will run for shit unless the launch open beta with twice the number of servers they will be running on the actual launch day.  Open beta is a horrible idea for this game.  It will just give all those who only try open beta a horrible impression of the game as being 'logonquest' and then 'lagquest' once they do get in.  Really high profile games don't have the luxory of doing open beta IMO.  It is a BAD idea.

All that said, I will still waste time downloading the client and failing to log in.  That will further solidify my opinion that the game is not worth buying and save me some money.  Then again I might like it.  Damn them if I do.
Johnson101

Email
Reply #23 on: June 17, 2004, 10:40:41 AM

um no Open Beta will be awesome and they'll probably add lots of servers
Rasix

Reply #24 on: June 17, 2004, 10:47:10 AM

HAHAHAHAH HAHA HAHA HA HAH

Ohh thanks, I needed that. Whew.. side hurts.

-Rasix
Anonymous

Email
Reply #25 on: June 17, 2004, 11:02:46 AM

Quote from: Johnson101
um no Open Beta will be awesome and they'll probably add lots of servers

Dear god, a bnet reject has found f13.
GET READY FOR SOME FUN, BOYS.
schild
Administrator

Reply #26 on: June 17, 2004, 11:03:27 AM

The guy in the cell next to me just yelled, 'NEW FISH.' I wonder what that means.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 17, 2004, 11:29:23 AM

Please tell me that was a gimmick account.
Johnson101

Email
Reply #28 on: June 17, 2004, 01:35:47 PM

um blizzard made starcraft diablo and warcraft... and werent all 3 uber gosu? ya thats what i thought
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: June 17, 2004, 01:37:52 PM

um blizzard made starcraft diablo and warcraft... and werent all 3 uber gosu? ya thats what i thought

Blizzard North made Diablo and Starcraft - who have since gone on to Arena Net. Blizzard made Warcraft I, II, III, and are in production on Ghost and WoW. I believe Blizzard also made Lost Vikings and some other, older, crappy games.
Rasix

Reply #30 on: June 17, 2004, 01:37:55 PM

Someone consult the Rosetta stone..

-Rasix
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 17, 2004, 01:46:58 PM

Um, pardon my non-l33tness but, what does 'gosu' mean?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
schild
Administrator

Reply #32 on: June 17, 2004, 01:48:10 PM

It means something in Japanese. Maybe Ookii will tell us. But I do know the sentence in question made like no sense in any language.

Edit: Actually, it's not that it didn't make any sense - it's that it was wrong in any language.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #33 on: June 17, 2004, 01:50:52 PM

"gosu

Korean gaming term meaning "good manner expert/professional" commonly used in the game Starcraft

keke that guy is gosu lah~"

oh dear.

Edit:  It's hard to describe how incredibly old I feel right now. :(

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
AOFanboi
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 17, 2004, 01:56:41 PM

Quote from: Murgos
Um, pardon my non-l33tness but, what does 'gosu' mean?

Strange words like that is stuff you put into Google so that it can come up with sites like this. Basically it seems to be Korean for "excellent player of Starcraft". Yes, my head hurts, too.

That said, I still think there are about twice too many fantasy MMORPGs than needed at any point in time.

Current: Mario Kart DS, Nintendogs
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: WoW Phase 3  
Jump to: