Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:05:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: 52 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 52  (Read 20046 times)
Velorath
Contributor

on: May 03, 2006, 09:01:09 PM

One week away from DC's weekly series 52, establishing the new history and status quo of the DC Universe.  From what I can tell, this series will feature a main story written by Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Greg Rucka, and Mark Waid (taking up 12 pages of the book I think), and a 10 page backup "The History of the DC Universe", written by Dan Jurgens.  After having read Infinite Crisis (have to catch up on OYL now) I'm actually looking forward to this a lot (as opposed to when it was announced when I thought it was an attempt to milk the readers dry).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 09:36:36 PM

One month in and surprisingly I don't have much to say about this yet.  It's not bad by any means, but even as a weekly the storyline seems to crawl.  The thing is I really like the basic concept of the book.  It kinda reminds me of Marvel Comics Presents, except with much better writers and the unifying thread that the stories are filling in what happened between IC and the "present day" DCU.  MCP for those who don't know was an anthology comic that had 4 stories per issue featuring various Marvel characters done by various (typcially not great) writers.  It drew readers in by always having at least one Wolverine story (and for a long time one Ghost Rider story as well), but also helped shine a spotlight on lesser characters like Speedball, Arabian Knight, and Two-Gun Kid.  52 in a way does the much the same thing but with writers like Geoff Johns and Grant Morrison.

Which is why I expected a lot more out of this book.  Johns, Morrison, and Waid among others, writing characters like Booster Gold, and Black Adam?  I was expecting a fun book, but 4 issues in and there's still mostly set-up.  Even as part of a 52 issue series, I'd like DC to pick up a little pace here.  If they're going to cover as many aspects of the New Earth as possible, they can't take a full month just to start to set-up the stories they've got going right now.
gimpyone
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 10:12:27 PM

I'm rather surprised at the "gore" DC has put in this series.  I'm used to DC making sure most of their scenes take place off frame.
Yes it does it seem to be crawling although some one is going to beat the crap out of Black Adam soonish I would think.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 11:24:01 PM

Black Adam has gone pretty badass in this.

So far he's:
Ripped off an arm
Crushed a skull
Bisected a man

All with his bare hands.

I'm enjoying the book so far.  Though I'm only on week 3 still because I went to catch up yesterday and didn't realize they'd be shipping things a day late cause of memorial day.

I'm thinking of collecting more regularly, a bit.  Cable & Deadpool, 52, and Secret Six all have me wanting to follow them.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 11:38:28 PM

Black Adam has gone pretty badass in this.

So far he's:
Ripped off an arm
Crushed a skull
Bisected a man

All with his bare hands.

Geoff Johns did a really good job with Black Adam in JSA.  I'm guessing he's writing the parts involving Adam in 52.  Pretty much the whole run of JSA is worth reading (he shows up pretty early in the book and joins the team later), although the Black Reign arc where he takes control of Kahndaq is a paticularly good Black Adam story.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 08:25:52 AM

Yeah, Johns has had a good handle on the entire Marvel (as in Shazam) family.

I think 52 has been really good, and has constantly kept me looking forward to it. My only problem is that the History of the DC Universe backstory is really something that shouldn't be a backup. It's too short, and will read too choppy, which has always been my problem with backup stories. Telling a good story takes so long. I'd have rather they took the History and did a separate mini-series, because 52 has been real good, but real slow.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 06:03:51 PM

Still find myself liking this series, but I really think they went overboard turning Booster into an asshole.  He seemed to be busy enough fighting actual crime to the point where I don't understand why he'd have to hire people to pretend to be villains.  I think they could have been a lot more subtle in making Booster look like a jerk and it would have worked better.  Could have used a little bit more Black Adam in the 2nd month and a little less of Steel's niece.  The fallout from the space mission has been pretty good, with Animal Man and Starfire the only ones who seemed to get out ok physically, even if they are lost on another planet with a now blind Adam Strange.  And of course Lesbian Batwoman makes her appearance in a scene that probably would have read better to me if I hadn't been thinking throughout "hey, it's that LESBIAN BAT WOMAN that I read about in the news!"
Luxor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2006, 05:33:36 AM

Is that who she is? I never clicked ( then again no-one cares about lesbian Batwomen this side of the pond ). I cant understand what they did to Booster though, one minute hes sobbing like a little girl cos Blue Beetle is dead, then the next he is shilling himself to all and sundry.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #8 on: July 06, 2006, 02:12:33 PM

Looks like next week is finally going to pick up with Black Adam again.

This week's wasn't bad.  We get a bit more of an idea of the significance of the number 52.  (The two score and twelve walls of Heaven.)

I'm really here to talk about Secret Six, though.

This comic book is bad and I'm probably going to drop it.  There's one laugh in the book that almost made me reconsider, and I love the concept, I like the characters, but it's just poorly written.  Gail Simone is better than this, I can't figure out why she's doing so poorly.  Near the beginning of the issue, one of the characters is in a fight, seems to laugh off the damage being inflicted on him, and escapes.  At the end of the issue, he's in a hospital seemingly in a coma for no good reason.  Characters do confusing things for no real reason.  It's like Simone knows where she wants to go but doesn't know how to get there, so she just makes it happen.

The bits with Pistolera were great, though.  Especially the end of that.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #9 on: July 07, 2006, 09:50:53 AM

Simone's work on Action Comics with Byrne right before Infinite Crisis made me reconsider her work as well. She's done good work, and then she did that. I haven't read the Secret Six issue you mean, though.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #10 on: July 07, 2006, 11:49:25 AM

Her work on Deadpool and Agent X were just great, in a parody sort of way.  I still laugh when I read them.

But this doesn't have the charm it should.  She's great at writing anti-heroes, as she's proven, so why does this book suck?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #11 on: July 07, 2006, 11:51:40 AM

Just out of curiousity did you read Villains United?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #12 on: July 13, 2006, 12:48:49 AM

Issue 10 was my favorite of the series so far.  Always a big fan of Black Adam and I find mild-mannered reporter Clark Kent much more interesting than Superman.  None of that Steel/Natasha stuff, no Batwoman, and only 1 page of Booster Gold acting like an ass.  All in all it's good stuff.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 03:33:55 AM

Just out of curiousity did you read Villains United?

Yeah, I did.  And I liked it.

I agree, this issue of 52 was very strong. Could've used more Black Adam Tearing People In Half, but he was at least in the book this time so that's good.

Plus, there wasn't a frame with Donna Troy shedding a single tear over Traumatic Event X this week (I've noticed just about each one until now has had a frame with her shedding a single tear).

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14 on: July 29, 2006, 10:07:02 PM

Another good issue with plenty of Black Adam and Captain Marvel and no Batwoman or Steel's niece.  Isis could be a good addition to the Marvel Family and I hope at least one or two members of the family feature prominently in the JSA relaunch.  Somewhat looking forward to the "Trials of Shazam" mini, but Winick is very hit and miss to me.  The downside to so much Black Adam this week is that the Elongated Man/Cult of Conner plot was the only other plotline that really advanced, and even then only slightly.  Even with 4 issues a month of 52 most plotlines barely seem to get 1 months worth of plot developments.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 07:44:45 PM

Interesting interview regarding the death in week 15.  Spoilers involved of course.  I can't really say I agree with the line of reasoning here.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 12:33:00 PM

That's because Didio is a fuckhead.

Spoiler: Look at the Giffen-era JL or the superbuddies and about the only one not dead, crazy or otherwise fucked up is Guy Gardner...who is a favourite of (surprise!) Didio's. End spoiler.

After all, Didio was originally planning to kill off Nightwing in IC but was forced to backpedal because of fan outrage.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 12:52:59 PM

I didn't really have any problems with Booster's death. It was a bit needless, but no more so than Booster's. Didio wasn't responsible for Ice's death, though, at least not that I know of. Booster without Beetle really doesn't work very well. Not that it couldn't work well, but I doubt there was anyone at DC to champion him anyway.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 06:19:08 PM

I don't have a problem that they killed Booster, it's just the idea that the character doesn't work any more so it's ok to kill him off.  If it was Superman, they wouldn't just decide that the character "doesn't work" so he could be killed off, you find a way to make him work.  And to me, they were making his character work in IC.  He became a more heroic character, and Brother Eye wouldn't have been stopped without him.  It wasn't until the issue of 52 where he had to pay someone to pretend to be a Super Villian where his character became screwed up again because it didn't make any sense.  Even with time getting screwed up Booster still managed to find plenty of chances to be heroic, there was no cause for him to hire Manthrax other than to make his character less sympathetic to the reader so he could be killed.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: November 10, 2006, 08:09:28 AM

Prediction: Ralph Dibny becomes the next Dr. Fate.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #20 on: November 10, 2006, 08:27:26 AM

Well... the helmet of Dr. Fate came to Ralph and said he could be the next Dr. Fate if he went through these trials, and Dibny said "Okay" so..... not sure I'd call that a prediction so much as a "unless there's a big obstacle in the road, this is what they're pointing at".

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #21 on: November 10, 2006, 08:53:33 AM

I don't remember that. I thought Ralph only went to the helmet to bring his wife back, and if that took being Dr. Fate for a bit, then he'd do that but not be Fate permanently.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #22 on: November 10, 2006, 08:45:14 PM

Maybe I misread, I don't feel like shuffling through to find out.  But ever since he went off with the helmet I just assumed he was training to be the next Dr. Fate.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #23 on: November 10, 2006, 08:54:58 PM

I seem to recall news of an upcoming Fate series (or possibly mini).  My memory is hazy but I'm pretty sure Ralph isn't going to become Fate, at least not permanently anyway.  On the other hand it does look like Renee is going to become the new Question (which I'd been thinking might happen for a while now).  It'll be a shame if they kill off the Question though, especially since they're doing a pretty good job with him right now.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #24 on: November 11, 2006, 12:49:39 AM

Always amazes me how people die from cancer in comics, but manage to recover from hole-blown-through-chest.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 11, 2006, 03:13:50 AM

:-D

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: November 11, 2006, 04:23:06 PM

Always amazes me how people die from cancer in comics, but manage to recover from hole-blown-through-chest.

Unless you're black and giant.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #27 on: November 13, 2006, 05:45:33 AM

Give it a few.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: November 13, 2006, 03:32:54 PM

He's probably thankful he doesn't have to be a part of the storyline anymore.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #29 on: January 20, 2007, 08:48:22 PM

So, Supernova's identity has been revealed and... well, a lot of people online already guessed it.  I'm, not exactly thrilled by the way this particular plot thread has been handled, but it does make for an interesting turn of events.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #30 on: January 20, 2007, 11:34:48 PM

I dug the Supernova reveal because of who he was. I really didn't want to see that character go away. It did kind of break one of the rules of time travel, but meh, I can live with it.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #31 on: January 21, 2007, 12:32:45 AM

Friend of mine already guessed it several weeks ahead of time, and he stopped reading 52 a few months back.  So... yeah, a little telegraphed.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #32 on: February 09, 2007, 10:48:33 PM

Well at least they've finally seemed to wrap up the Steel storyline.  Somewhat off the subject, I've been thinking that DC really lost a lot of the momentum they built up with Infinite Crisis.  Botched relaunches like Wonder Woman (Heinberg showed with Young Avengers that he can't really maintain a monthly schedule due to his work in TV), Flash (creative team has been replaced 9 issues in), and Aquaman (Kurt Busiek is leaving in the middle of his story that introduced a new Aquaman), half-hearted hints about the meaning of "52", and rumors of another year long, weekly series directly following the end of 52, have all served to dull my interest in the new DCU.  I'm back to having JSA as the only DCU book I enjoy reading on a regular basis.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: February 11, 2007, 11:58:58 AM

I think the after effects of 52 have been mixed, but I wouldn't call the DCU botched. The new JLA is fucking awesome if slow-moving, Superman has been of a better quality than it has in years, maybe decades. The Wonder Woman book has been good, but yes the schedule has been fucked. Green Lantern's been good, the Titans and Outsiders have been good, and Nightwing is finally good now that Bruce Jones is off the book.

But yes, Flash has been shitty shit shit shit, and Hawkgirl has been almost as bad. Both books have the same problem, their writers' style is so choppy it reads terribly. I don't know what happened to Walt Simonson, he used to be so good, but both he and Chaykin have been abysmal on Hawkgirl. Batman has been strange, not terrible but seemingly without direction.

I think the 52 series has been great. It's slowed in some parts, but the Steel/Luthor fight was well done, and the Booster death/rebirth surprised me. I suppose I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. And you must admit, they've coordinated a 52-part weekly series better than Marvel has done with a not-quite monthly 7-issue series and spinoffs.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #34 on: February 11, 2007, 11:54:04 PM

I think the after effects of 52 have been mixed, but I wouldn't call the DCU botched. The new JLA is fucking awesome if slow-moving, Superman has been of a better quality than it has in years, maybe decades. The Wonder Woman book has been good, but yes the schedule has been fucked. Green Lantern's been good, the Titans and Outsiders have been good, and Nightwing is finally good now that Bruce Jones is off the book.

But yes, Flash has been shitty shit shit shit, and Hawkgirl has been almost as bad. Both books have the same problem, their writers' style is so choppy it reads terribly. I don't know what happened to Walt Simonson, he used to be so good, but both he and Chaykin have been abysmal on Hawkgirl. Batman has been strange, not terrible but seemingly without direction.

I think the 52 series has been great. It's slowed in some parts, but the Steel/Luthor fight was well done, and the Booster death/rebirth surprised me. I suppose I should have seen it coming, but I didn't. And you must admit, they've coordinated a 52-part weekly series better than Marvel has done with a not-quite monthly 7-issue series and spinoffs.

Oh, I think they've done a great job with 52.  If the rumors of another year long weekly series are accurate though (rumored to be called Countdown, starting with issue 51 immediately following the end of 52, and counting down to zero) I'd have to say enough is enough.  True though that there's no way that Marvel could pull something like this off right now.

Titans is good although I think the pacing is a bit slow.  Green Lantern... I loved Rebirth, and I think the current series is ok, but I think having Ion and Green Latern Corps out there waters down the concept a bit (although bringing in the Green Lantern from the Tangent universe in Ion is kinda cool).  Nightwing I should probably start reading, because I've always been a big Marv Wolfman fan (Tomb of Dracula, Teen Titans, Vigilante, Crisis on Infinite Earths, and the guy created Nova and Bullseye among other well known characters).

Batman I quickly lost interest with.  Superman is better than it has been in a long time although I almost wish they hadn't given him his powers back so quickly.  I've only read the first issue of JLA so far.  I could tell that the pacing was going to be slow so I've held off on reading it until a few more issues are out.  I suppose I'll have to start reading it when the JLA/JSA crossover starts up, which I'm looking forward to probably moreso than anything else going on in DC right now.

I quickly lost interest in Blue Beetle and the Atom, which is a shame because I like the Giffen and Simone.  It looks like Giffen is off Blue Beetle anyway though with issue #12.  Shadowpact I thought was complete crap.  I've only read the first issue of Trials of Shazam so far and had mixed feelings about it.  Maybe Geoff Johns just writes the Marvel Family so well though that I'm just not interested in Judd Winick's take on the character.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: 52  
Jump to: