Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:12:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: 52 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 52  (Read 19914 times)
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #35 on: February 12, 2007, 04:56:04 AM

Simone's really hit a wall lately with her writing.  Used to be my favorite writer with her run on Deadpool/Agent X, but Secret Six was just... not well done at all.  Sucked, because I really liked the concept and most of the characters were cool, but it kinda sucked.  Most of the dialogue felt awkward, and things happened in the story that really made no sense.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 08:16:56 AM

Blue Beetle is good, if you can take that interpretation of the character. The latest issue is good, and Giffen had nothing to do with that issue. I like Shadowpact, but I've always loved Blue Devil so I'm a bit of a sucker for any book he's in. Trials of Shazam is an interesting take, but I don't have any of the problems with Winnick's work that others seem to have. The new Atom book is just strange. I'm glad Byrne's off the book, as I can't stand his artwork, but the new guy looks a bit like him so it's not that much better. The stories have been just a little bit off, not terrible, but not great either.

I agree that another 52-issue weekly series on the heels of 52 is a BAD idea. Wrap the story up and move on.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 09:59:31 AM

Blue Beetle just didn't grab me after having read the first few issues.  I like the design of the character, but everything else felt a little flat.  As far as Trials of Shazam goes, I have nothing against Winnick's writing in general, although his run on Exiles has been the only book of his that I ever read on a regular basis.  Maybe I just don't like the idea of it being a 12 issue mini, meaning it will take a full year to establish the new status quo of the Marvel Family.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: February 16, 2007, 10:36:10 PM

lol, scheduling!

See this is the kinda shit I'm talking about:

WONDER WOMAN #5 (JAN070319), which was previously slated to feature the final chapter of the 5-part story "Who Is Wonder Woman," will feature a new story when it arrives in stores on March 14.

This new story is by Will Pfeifer (CATWOMAN, AMAZONS ATTACK), with art by Jean Diaz, Geraldo Borges and Wellington Diaz and a cover by Terry Dodson & Rachel Dodson. In it, Wonder Woman learns that a new women's movement has begun, inspired by her killing of Max Lord - and leaving Diana torn between the good intentions of the movement and the validation it gives her violent act. Worse yet, she's ordered to investigate a possible connection between Wonder Woman and this movement by Sarge Steel and the department of Metahuman Affairs!

Chapter five of "Who Is Wonder Woman" will be rescheduled at a future date.

Retailers may adjust orders on WONDER WOMAN #5 (JAN070319) now through its final order cutoff date of Thursday, February 22.

Also, orders for the WONDER WOMAN: WHO IS WONDER WOMAN? HC (FEB070299) have been cancelled. This title will be resolicited at a future date.
Newsarama Note: Wonder Woman #1 hit stores on June 7th of 2006; #2 on August 23rd, 2006; #3 on November 22nd, 2206; and #4 is due in stores on February 21st.

ACTION COMICS #848, previously scheduled to feature part 4 of the story "Last Son" in 3-D, will have new contents when it arrives in stores in March.

ACTION COMICS #848 (JAN070267) now will feature part 1 of the 2-part story "Redemption," written by Fabian Nicieza with art by Allan Goldman & Ron Randall and a cover by Brad Walker & Robin Riggs. In this issue, Superman must travel the world from the wilds of Colorado to the plains of Africa to battle an uncontrollable power with an unbelievable source!

Orders for ACTION COMICS #848 (JAN070267) may be adjusted through its Final Order Cutoff date of April 5, and is scheduled to arrive in stores on April 25.

"Redemption" concludes in ACTION COMICS #849 (MAR070181), written by Nicieza with art by Goldman & Randall and a cover by Walker & Riggs, solicited in the March Previews (Volume XVII #3) and scheduled to arrive in stores in May. In this issue, mankind's savior is about to become mankind's doom! The real control behind the power has been revealed, and Superman will need help from an unexpected place in order to stop a being who only gets stronger and more violent!

Also in May, ACTION COMICS #850 (MAR070182) will be a special 48-page issue written by Kurt Busiek, Geoff Johns and Fabian Nicieza and illustrated by Renato Guedes. Supergirl's looking for a way back from the future - and the real reason Superman doesn't want her to wear the "S" shield. But both Superman and Supergirl are in for a big surprise when they see what the past has in store! This issue also includes time-viewing sneak peaks at the upcoming year's events in both ACTION COMICS and SUPERMAN

Part 4 of "Last Son" has been rescheduled to appear in ACTION COMICS #851, coming in June. Please note that the ACTION COMICS #848 3-D EDITION (JAN070268) has been cancelled.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 18, 2007, 02:57:14 PM

Wait...there is a new (reboot?) Wonder Woman comic that began with a 5-parter, but the 5th part isn't actually being delivered at all? Auspicious start!

I also like the Newsarama note at the bottom - June, August, November, February - what the fuck? Does anyone even remember what happened in part 1 anyway?

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #40 on: February 19, 2007, 08:12:22 AM

WHAT... THE... FUCK?

Both editors involved should be fired. That kind of stupidity should not happen, period. It's bad enough that Wonder Woman has taken so long to come out, but to just not finish the original arc and start a new arc in its place?

WHAT... THE... FUCK?

That's amateur hour. That's Image Comics first year worth of stupid all in one go. Waiting 3 issues to finish a story in Action Comics? Do you just NOT want to sell comics? Do you hate readers?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #41 on: February 20, 2007, 06:54:48 PM

DC's new 52 issue weekly series "Countdown" has been confirmed.

And hey, it starts off with a character dying!  That's... great...
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #42 on: February 22, 2007, 09:49:56 AM

Again, WHAT... THE... FUCK?

I can safely say this is not going to be anywhere near as good as 52, mainly because none of the writers are of the caliber of the 52 writers. As for that teaser image, Barda and Mister Miracle? Are those two appearing like that even in continuity anymore? Didn't 7 Solders change all the Mister Miracle stuff?

Arg.

EDIT: And what the fuck is up with Ra's Al Batman in the background there?

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #43 on: February 22, 2007, 09:55:40 AM

EDIT: And what the fuck is up with Ra's Al Batman in the background there?

I'm not sure, but Red Robin from Kingdom Come is also there.
Llava
Contributor

Reply #44 on: February 22, 2007, 12:14:30 PM

Paul Dini is good, but much, much weaker when not working with Bruce Timm.  Most likely will not pick this up.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #45 on: March 07, 2007, 10:55:27 PM

Week 44 was pretty good.  It's a shame what happened to the Black Marvel family.  Unlike Captain America, they probably won't be brought back anytime soon if at all.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #46 on: April 19, 2007, 12:11:47 AM

I've got to wonder why DC thought it would be good to not only release all four issues of the four part World War III mini on one day, but to also release have this week's issue of 52 more or less tell the abbreviated version of the same story.  The issue of 52 is decent enough, but an extended fight against Black Adam does not a four part story make.  What's worse is that they try to turn it into a story about Martian Manhunter as well, with really ham-fisted internal monologue about his observations on the nature of humanity.  In short, it's a crap payoff to the Black Adam story that ran through 52 in that it tries to make up in length what it lacks in quality.  There isn't a single memorable moment in the whole mini.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #47 on: April 20, 2007, 09:22:43 AM

I liked issue #50 of 52, but I have agree with you about the WWIII issues. They seemed superfluous. The events they were mean to explain (Jason Todd in New York killing people as Nightwing, Manhunter leaving the DA's office, etc.) seemed like they could have been handled better in a one-shot, maybe a larger than normal sized one-shot. The artwork was very mediocre on all of them, as if they really were rushed into it. The Martian Manhunter change didn't really fit for me, and the way that MM's miniseries fell apart in the end doesn't help.

But I'm still loving 52.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #48 on: May 04, 2007, 04:16:15 PM

An evolved version of Mr. Mind was certainly an odd choice to be the villain in the final issue of 52.  The sequence with Mr. Mind damaging the 52 identical Earths and causing them to revert somehow to more or less their pre-Crisis forms (we see the return of Earth 2 minus Superman, who died in IC, Earth 3 returns with the Crime Syndicate, and I think there was an Earth that appeared to be the Wildstorm Earth) was a little bit odd and could have been explained better.  Other than that though they did a good job with Booster Gold, Supernova, Skeets, and even the brief appearance from Blue Beetle.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #49 on: May 05, 2007, 10:11:46 AM

I thought Mr. Mind was a fantastic choice, because they took a goofy Shazam villain and made him menacing. You could tell Johns has a great love for the Captain Marvel family. The only disappointment I had was about the ending with the Question and Batwoman. It felt kind of unfinished.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: May 05, 2007, 10:22:26 AM

Yay for the multiverse.  I want to see me some more Crime Syndicate stories.  Ultraman is so much better a name than Superman. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Llava
Contributor

Reply #51 on: May 06, 2007, 11:05:58 AM

Fell completely flat for me.  Once again everything in the issue felt rushed, tons of shit happens with barely any explanation, and I'm definitely not a fan of DC's use of their multiverse- I'd rather they just kept to the one planet.  This "Superman 1, Superman 2, Superman Prime, Ultraman, Superman Low Fat, Superman WD40, Superman Prias, Superman Maximum Absorbancy" shit gets tired quick.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: May 07, 2007, 07:56:06 AM

I understand the whole canon/non-canon thing. Why just not have an editor decide if a story is canon or not and have a mark on the title page and be done with the whole multi-verse thing? I have no problem with a story just being a story.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #53 on: May 07, 2007, 09:37:30 AM

How about they stop rewriting the universe and tell a story in the universe they have?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #54 on: May 07, 2007, 09:53:19 AM

I LIKE the mulitverse. I liked it before the first Crisis and didn't really feel it needed trimming. I like it now.

The biggest disappointment of the 52 series for me was the One Year Later stuff. Not a lot of it has been explained reall well at all, especially in the big core books. Wonder Woman's continuity since the new series started has been a goddamn crime, and I blame it all on editorial. I hope it'll get better once Gaile Simone comes on. The new Flash book with Bart Allen still hasn't made a lot of sense, but I think this new writer might be able to make it bearable. Grant Morrison's Batman book feels like an Elseworlds story for some reason. Nightwing was SHITTY SHIT SHIT SHIT until Marv Wolfman took over, and both Titans and Outsiders were good but very disjointed. Hawkgirl has been fucking awful and isn't getting better. Aquaman has been confusing.

They are starting to get back on track, though. The Outsiders has been good with the Iron Heights thing. Justice League and Justice Society have been fucking fantastic, as has the Legion book.

Llava
Contributor

Reply #55 on: May 09, 2007, 08:43:05 AM

Well, I, and every regular comic reader I know at this point, are entirely sick of the goddamn multiverse and wish they'd just be done with it already.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #56 on: May 09, 2007, 09:52:51 AM

With the JSA, Captain Marvel, and the Freedom Fighters on the main Earth, I'm not sure what purpose the multiverse serves now other than Crime Syndicate stories and easy crossovers with Wildstorm.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: May 09, 2007, 09:25:19 PM

I wish they would just decide whether they want it or not. It seems like a new batch of editors come in and say "let's get rid of the multiverse" then a couple years later someone else says "hey let's bring it back again!!!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #58 on: May 10, 2007, 12:52:23 PM

That's pretty much what happened, only about 20 years separated the editoral stints you are speaking of.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Comics  |  Topic: 52  
Jump to: