Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:30:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Videos 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 191 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Useless Videos  (Read 1394286 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1225 on: January 27, 2007, 06:09:45 PM

Uh, calling out public figures has nothing to do with testing each others skills or learning new skills and everything to do with Cobra Kai shit.

Hmm, maybe I should have made this more clear. He wasn't calling out "public figures". He was calling out fellow martial artists at a gym...When people were already doing that sort of thing beforehand. It's no different than basketball pick up games. He didn't walk on to a China O'Brien movie set or a Billy Blanks infomercial and start making threats. It's just sport. In fact, there's one guy in their movies that he has nothing but respect and camraderie for that happily does that sort of thing (some Aussie guy, forget his name...but he's probably the only cool guy in those flicks).

Hell, half of his students were guys who called out him at one point in time.

That Letterman episode with Steven Seagal calling out the crowd? That's Cobra Kai shit.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1226 on: January 27, 2007, 10:32:53 PM

Damn, that bikini rodeo pie throwing was awesome. Especially the cutie in round 2.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1227 on: January 28, 2007, 08:44:52 AM

Scott Ian from Antrhax doing his own song on guitar hero 2 and failing miserably.

"Aw this is the lead! This isn't fair, I only play rhythm."
"I couldn't hear myself, the monitors were horrible"
"you should just write easier songs.....20 years ago"
"Man I bet the guys from dragon force are ripping me right now"
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:57:59 AM by bhodi »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1228 on: January 28, 2007, 08:59:34 AM

That's great. I feel better about myself now :).

I think one of my songs would be pretty hard for GH, if drummers I know are any indication. I only know one guy I'm happy playing it with. Kind of offbeat, with changing time signatures.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1229 on: January 28, 2007, 01:23:30 PM

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1230 on: January 28, 2007, 01:43:39 PM

"If you play this you will never learn to play guitar." - At the end after complaining about how bad his hand cramped up.  It would be cool if they used the same sort of system with real instruments, it would make learning them a lot more fun.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #1231 on: January 28, 2007, 03:45:31 PM

Eh, it looked like it was all in good fun...what, is Scott Ian not actually good?

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1232 on: January 28, 2007, 04:38:05 PM

Well, he was just having a good time. I think he was half serious about the wrist strain, and I pretty much agree with him there. I can't play it for more than an hour before I have to stop. Having never played guitar, I just assumed that my arm wasn't used to that position. Now, I figure it's the controller.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 04:41:47 PM by bhodi »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1233 on: January 28, 2007, 05:36:08 PM

"If you play this you will never learn to play guitar." - At the end after complaining about how bad his hand cramped up.  It would be cool if they used the same sort of system with real instruments, it would make learning them a lot more fun.
He was "strumming" the guitar the hard way.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1234 on: January 28, 2007, 05:40:24 PM

That's pretty hardcore, playing WoW while the mother of your child is in labor.  We need to come up with a new term like "babyass" -- i.e. you are so hooked on the game you can't be pulled away to change your baby's diaper.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1235 on: January 28, 2007, 05:42:02 PM

Jeez.  My only point was that it would be nice if they gave the guitar hero treatment to real learn to play an instrument software.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1236 on: January 28, 2007, 05:47:24 PM

Jeez.  My only point was that it would be nice if they gave the guitar hero treatment to real learn to play an instrument software.
They do. There's that electronic keyboard for teaching kids how to play the piano that has video games built into it.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1237 on: January 28, 2007, 05:48:43 PM

They do. There's that electronic keyboard for teaching kids how to play the piano that has video games built into it.

It really isn't of the same quality and enjoyment level.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1238 on: January 28, 2007, 05:50:42 PM

It really isn't of the same quality and enjoyment level.
True.
schild
Administrator

Reply #1239 on: January 28, 2007, 06:13:24 PM

I can play guitar hero for a good few hours or longer, especially when drunk. And anyone will tell you I cut straight to shit like A Light That Blinds, Cowboys From Hell, Bark at the Moon, Misirlou, Six, etc.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1240 on: January 28, 2007, 07:06:43 PM

Murgos, are you talking about digitizing individual frets and strings, but for a game? Sounds hard (I wouldn't say impossible) to do....And expensive.

Besides, I think kids are better off learning on a real instrument anyways. It's not as difficult as it may seem at first (just difficult to master)....And it's a lot more fun than even the best kind of video game.

"If it ain't broken..." etc..
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1241 on: January 28, 2007, 07:07:48 PM

That's pretty hardcore, playing WoW while the mother of your child is in labor.  We need to come up with a new term like "babyass" -- i.e. you are so hooked on the game you can't be pulled away to change your baby's diaper.

You forgot to link to Part 2.  
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1242 on: January 28, 2007, 07:15:53 PM

Forgot to delete his WoW character.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #1243 on: January 28, 2007, 08:02:16 PM

Murgos, are you talking about digitizing individual frets and strings, but for a game? Sounds hard (I wouldn't say impossible) to do....And expensive.

Besides, I think kids are better off learning on a real instrument anyways. It's not as difficult as it may seem at first (just difficult to master)....And it's a lot more fun than even the best kind of video game.

"If it ain't broken..." etc..

Uh.  I'm talking about plugging an electric guitar into an A/D converter and generating a pulse modulated digital waveform.  The techinical details are extremely simple, the same sort of thing is done for motor controls about a zillion times a day.  Sound is just a sine wave, it is easily sampled and digitized (see your favorite CD).  The harder part would be the visual cues on the screen in a not cluttered and intuitive fashion, fortunately such a thing already exists.  It's called musical notation.

There are probably several million people trying to learn a musical instrument as we speak, I think the market could support some big spending in the area to make the 'Learn 2 play" type of software not suck and still be profitable.  The offerings I have all seen (for piano which is what I am trying to learn) simply aren't there in the game play elements and production quality.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1244 on: January 28, 2007, 08:31:57 PM

I understand. Though in addition to the AD, guitars still need a preamp for plugging into computers, plus a modeler. You could either go the Amp Farm like route for this, or Midi (which in turn would require new pickups, and it's own array of modeling software). It's all very expensive, and much more than just converting analog to digital. Implementing things like this for piano/keyboard is easier.

Anyhow, I was just asking you to clarify something. Thanks for teaching me about the existence of music notation though. I just wasn't sure if you wanted some sort of mock up digital game guitar or the real thing.

Otherwise, it's a good idea.

[EDIT]

Seriously, good idea. If modelers became cheap (which they will), it'd be a mass market product easily. There are small, albeit limited, Pod like products that are in the $100 range right now, but in addition to the game/GH like software needed for this, and a cheap guitar, it'd at least be in $250-300 range (hypothetically speaking).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2007, 08:55:27 PM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1245 on: January 29, 2007, 08:56:56 AM

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #1246 on: January 29, 2007, 09:34:27 AM

Yeah, that thing is cool (and cost nearly five grand), but it's just for digital interfacing and multitracking strings. You could also effect midi apps like lighting and smoke down to the notes you're playing. Lol. To recreate a Guitar Hero like experience, but with real training techniques and riff playing, you'd need some kind of modeling/training/guitar karaoke software on the other end. The ability to recognize what chords and notes a player is hitting are possible with analog.
koboshi
Contributor

Camping is a legitimate strategy.

Reply #1247 on: January 29, 2007, 09:48:26 AM

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 11:14:54 AM by koboshi »

-We must teach them Max!
Hey, where do you keep that gun?
-None of your damn business, Sam.
-Shall we dance?
-Lets!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1248 on: January 29, 2007, 09:55:57 AM

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1249 on: January 29, 2007, 10:03:09 AM

Holy shit, Tyra Banks and her entire production staff are a bunch of dumb cunts. I've never seen a more overdramatized piece of "journalistic" shit in my life, down to the flashing solarized images of the WoW game. DUH DUH DUHHHHH!!!!

Fucking cunts.

bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1250 on: January 29, 2007, 12:23:31 PM

Tetris: From Russia with Love. -- BBC Documentary

It's really interesting, when you've got an hour or so you should watch it. It's got mystery, intrigue, good triumphing over evil, falls from grace... and a murder/suicide. Also, a somewhat happy ending for the creator, even though he didn't see a dime thanks to soviet russia.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 01:30:00 PM by bhodi »
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1251 on: January 30, 2007, 04:48:59 AM

That's actually funnier than pretty much anything SNL's come up with the last couple years.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1252 on: January 30, 2007, 05:33:36 AM

That's actually funnier than pretty much anything SNL's come up with the last couple years.
Not even close to topping Dick in a Box.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1253 on: January 30, 2007, 07:09:30 AM

Not even close to topping Dick in a Box.

Well of course you'd bring up the one exception.
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #1254 on: January 31, 2007, 12:45:23 PM

Darwin will catch up to these people eventually. (I challenge you to not go back and watch it a 2nd time)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1255 on: January 31, 2007, 01:12:18 PM

What the fuck is wrong with some people?

WayAbvPar

Reply #1256 on: January 31, 2007, 01:22:44 PM

Darwin will catch up to these people eventually. (I challenge you to not go back and watch it a 2nd time)

I am shocked her neck didn't snap. Hopefully her ovaries burst so she can infest the planet with her progeny.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
bhodi

No lie.

Reply #1257 on: January 31, 2007, 01:27:01 PM

It looks like fun, if I wasn't so afraid of being slammed into the ground on the return. I think someone must have done a bit of math to keep it high enough that gravity didn't skew the path with hilarious results.

Then again, why not just skip the bungee entirely?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #1258 on: January 31, 2007, 02:58:34 PM

At least they were smart enough to have a parachute.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1259 on: January 31, 2007, 11:02:55 PM

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 191 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Serious Business  |  Topic: Useless Videos  
Jump to: