Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:23:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Raph has left SOE. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Raph has left SOE.  (Read 32914 times)
schild
Administrator

on: March 23, 2006, 11:57:16 AM

Yea, it's not a rumor. I already confirmed it. Discuss, or something.

Edit: I'm not posting sources or anything, but let's just say it's probably not a secret at SOE or even GDC by now.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 12:02:40 PM

WOW.

errr - edit - I dont mean World of Warcraft.

Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 12:04:22 PM

The end times are here, rats in the cornfield.....and their HIS!!!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 12:10:09 PM

I sure hope he goes somewhere with money enough to pull off some of the PVP shit he's talked about.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 12:18:59 PM

He never fit in there anyway.  Wonder where he's going.  Somewhere under the NCSoft umbrella?  Some kooky indie developer?  Blizzard?  (The hairdresser class in Starcraft Online builds COMMUNITY!)  Or maybe he's freaked out and is running off to climb Everest.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 12:27:21 PM

Finally he dumped them.  Good luck at the new place, Raph!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 12:35:28 PM

WOW^2

Raph off the leash   woo!

Good luck to you Raph, please keep us up to date!

[Edit] I wish I was at GDC all the more now  :-(
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 23, 2006, 12:43:31 PM

He never fit in there anyway.  Wonder where he's going.  Somewhere under the NCSoft umbrella?  Some kooky indie developer?  Blizzard?  (The hairdresser class in Starcraft Online builds COMMUNITY!)  Or maybe he's freaked out and is running off to climb Everest.

Back to UO!!!!

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 23, 2006, 12:48:39 PM

Back to UO!!!!

A hundred thousand bloggers just took flight....
WayAbvPar

Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 12:56:35 PM

Glad to hear it. I hope he lands somewhere less soulless. I don't always agree with his ideas, but at least he isn't afraid to discuss them with the players.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: March 23, 2006, 12:59:21 PM

We need a 'rats leaving the sinking ship' emoticon.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 01:32:26 PM

Oh God.  The wheel turns again and we're going to build up a 'next saviour' off this crackpots back and when it fucks up YET AGAIN, we're gonna make another 200 page thread about it.

Call me again in Ten Years.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 01:45:17 PM by Ironwood »

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 02:36:06 PM

A Saviour?  Not for me.  I do like a lot of what Raph does, but I would like to see him tempered by someone that can nurture his good ideas and cull the impractical ones.

Psychopyro80
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 04:21:38 PM

Interresting. Can't say I didn't see it coming though.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 04:39:18 PM

Just do something that has some level of pvp in mind from the ground up, and no established IP behind it and I'll at least add it to the sig...  :-D

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Malathor
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 05:03:08 PM

Just do something that has some level of pvp in mind from the ground up

Raph has never understood PvP. Never.

"Too much is always better than not enough." -Dobbs
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 05:44:17 PM

Hmm...BioWare, Austin Studio, other ex-SWG/UO people already there...

Anyway, good for Raph, now maybe he'll get another chance to put some of his newer ideas into practice. I always felt that the Chief Creative Officer position was a dead end position at SOE since it was Brad who first occupied it and he didn't do anything of note while in that position that I'm aware of. If he's not going to BioWare or somewhere like NCSoft I would love to see him and Warren Spector get together and make a game.

Edit: fixed typo
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 05:46:14 PM by Trippy »
Issele
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 08:08:01 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 08:24:50 PM

I like my post more.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 08:51:16 PM

Yes he was a bad fit.

One of the biggest problems with SWG was Raph being in charge of it, but that is not a knock of Raph. It's like getting a catcher to play shortstop.

Raph is good at certain things, an action-oriented sci-fi game based on Star Wars isn't one of them. Sims Online was the (or a) game for Raph.

Anyway best of luck to Raph in the future.

It's funny, I was about to write that SOE and Turbine are both hurting now, then I was going to write that it seems WoW is sinking it's competitors. But I don't think that's a good analysis. My analysis is simpler: neither SOE or Turbine has made a great game in a long time. (Turbine hasn't even made a good game in a long time) Too much money spent on projects that don't seem very good - not a formula for success.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: March 23, 2006, 09:01:28 PM

NCsoft is my bet, working with Lum.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #21 on: March 23, 2006, 09:04:40 PM

NCsoft is my bet, working with Lum.
Wouldn't that be like matter and anti-matter colliding?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: March 24, 2006, 07:49:06 AM

I would lean more towards Bioware Austin, since he's worked with both Rich Vogel and Gordon Walton.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #23 on: March 24, 2006, 08:20:35 AM

As long as he doesn't screw up the baby Jesus they have in the oven at the new BioWare studio, sounds good.

(No, that's not really a knock against Raph.)

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 24, 2006, 10:43:22 AM

Good luck to Raph.

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Issele
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 24, 2006, 10:56:33 AM

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: March 24, 2006, 03:03:58 PM

I bet he goes to play guitar with winger.

No - not that winger.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #27 on: March 25, 2006, 05:59:59 PM

I wonder if he has a nasty non-compete to work around. I don't know how prevelant those are in this industry at that level.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 26, 2006, 05:38:40 AM

I wonder if he has a nasty non-compete to work around. I don't know how prevelant those are in this industry at that level.

You're probably right.  Thus the cooling off period.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #29 on: March 26, 2006, 06:37:19 AM

You're probably right.  Thus the cooling off period.
That level of a non-compete is certainly not enforceable in California -- California employers cannot restrict the livelihood of their current or former employees. Raph's livelihood is making games/MMOs so there's no way that can be enforced here.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: March 26, 2006, 08:41:15 AM

As his contract was up I doubt there could be an enforcable non-compete agreement anyways, short of paying him not to work.

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: March 26, 2006, 09:58:55 PM

I sure hope he goes somewhere with money enough to pull off some of the PVP shit he's talked about.

AHAHAHA. Ralph is a raging carebear, whatever PvP he can come up with will be drowned in a sea of PvP switches and consent-only limitations.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #32 on: March 27, 2006, 11:18:09 AM

AHAHAHA. Ralph is a raging carebear, whatever PvP he can come up with will be drowned in a sea of PvP switches and consent-only limitations.

News Flash - Consent only PVP is the only kind that's going to get enough subscribers to justify the kind of development budget it would need to be made in the first place.

Also, I like consensual PVP.

sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: March 27, 2006, 11:41:28 AM

Newsflash – consent should starts when you log in! Do you need a safety label ‘Contents of this package might result in you getting repeatedly PKed?’. Enough with cloning dead horse aka DikuMUD, if PvP is not your thing there are PLENTY of alternatives. You want safe game – design one and forget about PvP. You want to have PvP game – do it properly. Switch/consent PvP is like having sex with your sister, while it might be occasionally enjoyable you know its not how things should be done and such relationship has no future.

Haemish, lets not pull WUA here and finally let go of 99. MMOGs moved on, there is absolutely no reason to talk about consent and PvP in mmogs when it is long since realized that both cannot coexist.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: March 27, 2006, 11:44:16 AM

World of Warcraft proves otherwise.

The PVP game you speak of is niche and always will be. The mass market does not buy it and never will. That is why WoW has as many people as it does and Shadowbane has as many people as it does.

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  News  |  Topic: Raph has left SOE.  
Jump to: