Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 23, 2024, 08:37:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  (Read 176645 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #455 on: April 10, 2006, 10:45:40 PM

why do i feel bad.

Because it's only downhill from there?
Lum
Developers

Hellfire Games

Reply #456 on: April 10, 2006, 11:06:05 PM

WHY, BROTHER?
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #457 on: April 11, 2006, 03:17:46 AM

Schild isn't interested in chicks.  He's too busy.  He's dedicated to his art.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #458 on: April 11, 2006, 03:35:43 AM

WHY, BROTHER?

I never understood why they made a hot blonde chick chase you the entire time, knowing you were just going to end up cutting her fucking head off and mounting it on a stick.

(mounting the head on the stick.  Not what you thought. Sicko.)

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #459 on: April 11, 2006, 07:17:58 AM

I finished the dark brotherhood storyline and now im bummed...  why do i feel bad.  This must be a really good game.  God damnit.
I get upset when I find something like a water well which actually says "To secret dark brotherhood den" and I can't crash in there and murder a bunch of assassins.

I also have quests I don't think I'll finish because they would have sad endings or require me to be evil.  Speaking of which...
<spoiler>
I completed the arena champion's quest before gaining ranks in the arena and now that I have made it to the final battle all he does is stand there and ask me to kill him since he's part vampire.  Even though he's got his weapon unsheathed and is in the middle of the god-damned arena it counts as murder because I get that "Unseen forces have noticed your actions" message telling me I'm going to get visited by Mr.Blackrobe the next time I sleep.  Does anyone know of a 'good' way to become arena champion if you have already done that quest?
</spoiler>
Damn good game.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #460 on: April 11, 2006, 07:22:21 AM

I think I am giving up and going to learn me some real magic.  I hate those fucking painted trolls.  And ghosts.  And wisps.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #461 on: April 11, 2006, 09:31:55 AM

why do i feel bad.

Because it's only downhill from there?

Sadly you are probably right, but i got my moneys worth just from that so thats fine.  It does make the other guild storylines feel very "meh" though, maybe i should work on the main quest for a while.

I am the .00000001428%
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #462 on: April 11, 2006, 09:36:17 AM

I think I am giving up and going to learn me some real magic.  I hate those fucking painted trolls.  And ghosts.  And wisps.

I saw a bumper sticker today that read:

Get a taste of religion
Lick a witch
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #463 on: April 11, 2006, 10:00:45 AM

I have a Magic Wand.  It produces Mystical Joy.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #464 on: April 11, 2006, 10:10:59 AM

Sadly you are probably right, but i got my moneys worth just from that so thats fine.  It does make the other guild storylines feel very "meh" though, maybe i should work on the main quest for a while.

I enjoyed the thief quest line, even if some of the last few quests had way too many undead (my sneak wasn't high enough, and they've got killer detection).

I'm doing the Dark Brotherhood story line now on a new character I rolled.  Pure combat character with some restoration and illusion magic thrown in (not sure why I picked illusion magic..).  These quests would have been a lot easier with my thief.  But, at least I've gotten to the point where I can pick a hard lock with 15 security.  Went in hoping they'd be more brute force'ish than they are, but I can't bring myself to pass up the bonuses.  Loving the quests so far and the random dialog you get from the other members.

BTW, love the Balor leveling mod.  Makes me forget there's even levels in the game.

-Rasix
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #465 on: April 11, 2006, 10:12:12 AM

Get a taste of religion
Lick a witch

Get a taste of religion,
Lick a Wiccan

Rhymes better.  But still, only if you wash 'em first, like any vegetable.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
WayAbvPar

Reply #466 on: April 11, 2006, 10:18:16 AM

Dude, didn't you watch The Wizard? Nintendo Hint Line gets all the chicks.

I used to work there. Customer Service had far more hotties than the Game Play nerdsters. I really regret being such a clueless fucktard back then...I could have really had a lot of fun.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #467 on: April 11, 2006, 10:39:22 AM

BTW, love the Balor leveling mod.  Makes me forget there's even levels in the game.

Me too, but I wound up cheating as a result...I like Bretons, who start with shitty endurance, and the mod made me start levelling before I had a chance to work my endurance to a reasonable level, so I consoled my endurance up to get more HP :P

My weapon skills are also falling behind what I think is par, despite heavy useage.  This may also necessitate action at some point.

<--has a low RL willpower score in some respects....

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #468 on: April 11, 2006, 11:42:25 AM

Marksman is kinda hard to level, considering I feel naked with less than 150 arrows.  Using shitty iron arrows, that's 15... uh... weight units.  I really appreciated shedding that chainmail for the Brotherhood armor.  Running backwards can get you into trouble, too.  However I have maybe screwed myself since I can't hit with a sword and can't take a punch now that I'm level 11.  I am really dedicated to the Marksman-poison track.

Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #469 on: April 11, 2006, 12:56:44 PM

Wandering around random oblivion gate tower... see button, push button:

"You have released a prisoner."

Look around... huh, no prisoner... must be in some other room

Two seconds later prisoner lands from his five story fall from his gate on top of the tower making a bloody mess on the humongous spikes at the bottom... ooops.

I fucking love this game.  Buttons are not toys!

I am the .00000001428%
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #470 on: April 11, 2006, 01:55:57 PM

Get a taste of religion
Lick a witch

Get a taste of religion,
Lick a Wiccan

Get a taste of religion
Lick a witch
Tastes like Wiccan
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #471 on: April 11, 2006, 02:04:55 PM

Get a taste of religion
Lick a witch

Get a taste of religion,
Lick a Wiccan

Get a taste of religion
Lick a witch
Tastes like Wiccan

Get a taste of religion
Lick a witch
Tastes like Wiccan
But not as rich
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #472 on: April 11, 2006, 02:41:04 PM

I came in the top of the tower.  I saw the prisoner.  I saw the button.  Whoops!  Talk first, mash buttons later.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #473 on: April 11, 2006, 03:34:24 PM

One word of warning on that Balor leveling system:

If you use it and are a Vampire, when you go from a stage one Vamp to a stage two, the resultant increase in stats makes you level. So uh, if you use Balor, drink regularly unless you want your level to go out of wack.

On another tangent, the modding stuff is going crazy already. Someone already released a beta version of a sailable ship. Its a beta version because you can sail it right through the center of Imperial City, but its still pretty impressive.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #474 on: April 12, 2006, 05:48:28 AM

Marksman is kinda hard to level, considering I feel naked with less than 150 arrows.  Using shitty iron arrows, that's 15... uh... weight units.  I really appreciated shedding that chainmail for the Brotherhood armor.  Running backwards can get you into trouble, too.  However I have maybe screwed myself since I can't hit with a sword and can't take a punch now that I'm level 11.  I am really dedicated to the Marksman-poison track.
There's a mod out there which makes most arrows weightless. I think starting at Glass they begin to weigh something again.

--GF
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #475 on: April 12, 2006, 11:20:59 AM

I've let marksman lag, I've got to start working it up again. I'm at 23 and Marksman is down in the 50's.  Fortunately I just started the Dark Brotherhood stuff so maybe I'll take that as an opportunity to brush up my skills, the sword I have been using was a little over-powered anyways (Goldenrod?  Gold something anyway).

Does anyone know if the Brotherhood Armor levels with you?  I know that it's stats are dependent on what level you get it at (for instance my version starts at 12AC and +8 to the enchantments) but if I break thirty will the armor upgrade to it's next tier? (If you look in TESCS there are 5 tiers for the armor) or would I have to manually do it through the TESCS?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #476 on: April 13, 2006, 07:21:19 AM

I've let marksman lag, I've got to start working it up again. I'm at 23 and Marksman is down in the 50's.  Fortunately I just started the Dark Brotherhood stuff so maybe I'll take that as an opportunity to brush up my skills, the sword I have been using was a little over-powered anyways (Goldenrod?  Gold something anyway).

Does anyone know if the Brotherhood Armor levels with you?  I know that it's stats are dependent on what level you get it at (for instance my version starts at 12AC and +8 to the enchantments) but if I break thirty will the armor upgrade to it's next tier? (If you look in TESCS there are 5 tiers for the armor) or would I have to manually do it through the TESCS?
There are mods to auto-upgrade leveled quest rewards too.

--GF
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #477 on: April 13, 2006, 07:52:33 AM

You need to start linking to these things otherwise I'm going to have to believe you just reply with "There's a mod for X."
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #478 on: April 13, 2006, 08:49:48 AM

Here's the boat mod I mentioned: http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=341367&hl=boat

Note, it's hosted on Fileplanet, so if that freaks you out, don't click.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #479 on: April 13, 2006, 09:37:08 AM

Is there a mod that keeps track of what your multipliers are before you level? i have having to keep track myself :P

I am the .00000001428%
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #480 on: April 13, 2006, 10:14:31 AM

You need to start linking to these things otherwise I'm going to have to believe you just reply with "There's a mod for X."

I think there is a mod for Hot Coffee somewhere.  I just can't find it!
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #481 on: April 14, 2006, 10:46:30 AM

I think there is a mod for Hot Coffee somewhere.  I just can't find it!
There _is_ one but I've never used it so I don't remember.

But I do remember lighter arrows and autoupgrade quest rewards.

--GF
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #482 on: April 16, 2006, 11:16:53 AM

I'm confused.  I just read/skimmed all of the pages of this thread.

Can I make a anything that can learn anything and just play that one thing that can do anything, or do I have to specialize?

How do I avoid gimping my mage? 

Can I change my playstyle and start sneaking around, even though sneak isn't one of my majors?

I'm only level 3 but admit I have been making a lot of potions - is this bad?

Are there a set number of spells I will end up with, so do I have to be choosy, or can I just get whatever I please?

This game is beautiful.  I wish it was an MMO.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #483 on: April 16, 2006, 12:55:58 PM

I'm confused.  I just read/skimmed all of the pages of this thread.

Can I make a anything that can learn anything and just play that one thing that can do anything, or do I have to specialize?
Do whatever you want.  You can be a master of all things given enough time.
How do I avoid gimping my mage? 
Don't level too often on non-combat related skills.  Keep your destruction and restoration skills in good use, carry a sword and use it every now and then and wear armor.
Can I change my playstyle and start sneaking around, even though sneak isn't one of my majors?
Yes, absolutely.  You will level sneak slower because it is not a major and it will not effect your overall level but it will go up with use just like any other skill.  You can be a sneaky, backstabbing, plate armor wearing, alchemist of flaming death who is also a very good trader if you want.
I'm only level 3 but admit I have been making a lot of potions - is this bad?
Is alchemy a major skill?  If so you may want to start over with it as a minor so you can do as much of it as you like without it blowing your levels out of whack.  If you get to level 10+ with most of your levels coming from non-combat related skill advances you will have a hard time fighting.  You won't really be gimped, you will be GREAT at making potions, for example, but you won't be good at combat (<Sean Connery> B A L A N C E </Sean Connery>).  So you can play it that way and just chug a lot of potions to make you more effective at combat or you can try and mix it up and keep your combat abilities in line with your other other skills.
Are there a set number of spells I will end up with, so do I have to be choosy, or can I just get whatever I please?
You can have as many as your heart desires.
This game is beautiful.  I wish it was an MMO.
Hell is other people.

Edit: Yes, the game is certainly beautiful:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 01:08:35 PM by Murgos »

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #484 on: April 16, 2006, 03:08:59 PM

Thanks.

I tried to follow the links posted earlier that talked about levelling and how it works, but the links are now bad.

So, if I'm understanding this right, I should choose as majors skills that help me kill stuff rather than alchemy or lockpicking, because I don't want to be a really high level potion maker with crap attack skills?

Hmm.

Currently I have Alchemy, Alteration, Conjuration, Destruction, Illusion, Mysticism and Blade.

So I could swap Alchemy for Restoration maybe, or Light Armor?

Or just stop making so many potions.  I hate it that I'm feeling anal and wanting to start over.  I like my toon.

Oh, how exactly does armor work?  As a mage type, what sort of encumbrance to magick does wearing armor do?

TIA.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #485 on: April 16, 2006, 04:52:44 PM

Not sure how this happened, but I now have only 27 strength and it's in red.  I just levelled to 5, went to the sewers and two bandits completely beat me down.  Ow.

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #486 on: April 16, 2006, 05:15:36 PM

Armor can effect your spells' effectiveness, it tells you on the magic tab of the info sheets what percentage you are at.  Wearing light armour like fur and leather at level three shouldn't hurt it too much.

Try not to worry about the levelling system, it seems like everyone turns out ok at the end unless they do something really bizarre.  Besides, you can always turn down the difficulty slider if you get in trouble and can't handle a certain fight.  I did the min/max stuff and it got really annoying and hurt my enjoyment of the game.  I wound up thinking way too much about it instead of having fun.

So, if I'm understanding this right, I should choose as majors skills that help me kill stuff rather than alchemy or lockpicking, because I don't want to be a really high level potion maker with crap attack skills?

Kind of, the general idea is to slow down your leveling so that you will get higher multipliers.  You don't actually get potion maker levels, if you did a lot of alchemy it would improve whichever stat that belongs to, I imagine intelligence, which is fine because that determines your mana pool.

If a stat is in red and you don't have an icon in the upper right telling you it is being drained you probably got diseased, go to a church in one of the towns and activate the large central alter, there is no church in the imperial city for some reason.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #487 on: April 16, 2006, 08:03:44 PM

I fought some mobs that weakened me, but had no clue how to get my strength back.  Thanks.

I turned down the difficulty a bit and then I found a really neat cave (Haynote Cave) with imps and loot off the road to Skingrad, so I picked up my first magic items (I am level 7 or so now) - a magic sword and 3 rings.  It was fun, challenging enough without being impossible. 

Now I know why my spells are only 89% effective!

This is neat.   I never played Daggerfall or Morrowwind; I played NVN a little but it just didn't grab me like this does.  I love the graphics; the world is beautiful.  I went up on top of a mountain (Cloud Top) and had this amazing view of the countryside.

It's a little lonely, although it's nice not having to hear general chat - but this would be so much fun to play with another person or a few people (not random fuckwads though).

The world just seems huge.

Do the dungeons respawn with new loot/mobs over time?  Ever worth a trip back, or should I just move on?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #488 on: April 16, 2006, 08:16:51 PM

There are plenty of dungeons.  I doubt you will find them all, so I would not worry about returning to most of them.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #489 on: April 16, 2006, 10:19:43 PM

Dungeons will respawn after about an in-game week; the stuff inside is determined from a general group (bandits, undead, daedra) with the specific stuff being determined by your level at the time you enter the location.

This is mostly useful to know if you need quick cash; for example, just north of the house you can buy in the Waterfront district is a bandit-filled cave, which I used to pick up fresh armor, weapons and other stuff that can then be readily transported to the market district for sales.

Also, what armor is that in the screenshot? That's some nice stuff. Aside from, you know, not offering all that much actual protection.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 10:21:21 PM by Yoru »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: 3/22/06 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (PC, X360)  
Jump to: