Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Shadowbane goes to no subscription fee 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadowbane goes to no subscription fee  (Read 43044 times)
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

on: March 15, 2006, 03:31:36 PM

http://chronicle.ubi.com/newspost.php?id=15088

Many members of the Shadowbane Community have already noticed that a change has occured to the Billing System today; one that allows players to play for free!

There will be a more in-depth announcement coming soon but, in the meanwhile, I wanted to let our community know that this is not an error. Existing users can now open up their Account Manager and their accounts will now be working, allowing them to play Shadowbane for free!

In addition, those who wish to try out Shadowbane for the first time will also be able to. All you have to do is create a new ubi.com account and then click on Add a Subscription, and you will have free access to the lands of Aerynth! This is not a Free-Trial subscription and it will not run out in 15-days. This is completely free!

In-game ads, micropayments, or a Guild Wars type thing?

Also,  sb.exe.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 03:38:15 PM

A last ditch effort to save a dying game?

Any word of what type of sub numbers shadowbane is pulling in these days? God, it could have been such a.............

SB.EXE
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 03:50:55 PM

sb.exe is so cliche.  Well I for one will give it a whirl!!!  Nothing to lose but my soul.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 03:55:05 PM

Hmmm...

Free version comes with starforce, perhaps?
schild
Administrator

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2006, 04:07:14 PM

Hmmm...

Free version comes with starforce, perhaps?

Starforce.dll + SB.exe would surely create a singularity of suck.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: March 15, 2006, 04:41:25 PM

Maybe they're going adventure packs? There's not enough WP-created content in the game, nor enough ways to funnel players to it, to go with ingame advertising in my opinion. Not unless Massive Entertainment started working directly with the owners of the cities... hey, wait a sec...
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: March 15, 2006, 04:41:55 PM

Only if you get PKed because of that.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: March 15, 2006, 04:51:03 PM

So how many "run your own MMORPG" server/client software packs could they sell for $XXX a pop?
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 04:58:58 PM

SB evolved quite a bit during last year, stability and content. If you give SB a whirl don't expect to jump back into your old character/template and expect to win anything. People who still playing are very competent and are on Nth iteration of perfect template in a perfect group with perfect gear.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 05:39:14 PM

There's got to be a reason for it, and they had to know that there would likely be an increase in demand for the game if they went free. I guess we'll see what happens as time unfolds. Other than that I can't really say much. SB.EXE happens from time to time, but they did a good job of stamping that out over a year ago.  SB's biggest problem IMHO is when they introduced Windows of Opportunity. By doing that and making cities invulnerable, they removed 90% of the random PVP in the game.

We'll see how it continues to evolve as it goes free.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 06:59:39 PM

We'll see how it continues to evolve as it goes free.
If they don't cut the very little support it already had...

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #11 on: March 16, 2006, 02:56:12 AM

Hmm. I have two SB boxes with expansions sitting on my shelf. SB.EXE wasn't a huge issue last time i played (chaos expansion i think?). If it's no sub, and there's still an OSX client i'll definatley check it out, particularly if i can roll on the lore server. Have to wonder what their revenue model is though...

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Sairon
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: March 16, 2006, 02:59:45 AM

Hmm. I have two SB boxes with expansions sitting on my shelf. SB.EXE wasn't a huge issue last time i played (chaos expansion i think?). If it's no sub, and there's still an OSX client i'll definatley check it out, particularly if i can roll on the lore server. Have to wonder what their revenue model is though...

I'm guessing it's the same model Anarchy Online uses. Only the original game being free. Basicly they just try to get you addicted with the original game so that you buy the expansions.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: March 16, 2006, 04:32:26 AM

I'm guessing it's the same model Anarchy Online uses. Only the original game being free. Basicly they just try to get you addicted with the original game so that you buy the expansions.

Yes. I had thought the same, but I guess it would have to mean that future expansion pack content is only available for pay accounts because they already had an expansion or two and this announcement states that current subscribers are now free as well.

In any case, I think I'll give it another whirl, this time on my Powerbook. What the hell. It's free!

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: March 16, 2006, 06:15:51 AM

My guess is they are building interest back up for the game/genre in preparation for SB2 (or an expansion that is so big it might as well be SB2.) With a bloated sub count, they can build a better business case to show investors.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #15 on: March 16, 2006, 06:19:24 AM

AO uses in game ads, I believe. And with SB both the released expansions are activated by default for all users.

If this is a "bridge" to a true sequel I think it's a brilliant idea. Much better than those companies that decide to overlap same-genre games.

But isn't SB2 only in very early development?

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #16 on: March 16, 2006, 07:05:45 AM

I lastest 2 minutes in the game.  Sheesh it was utter chaos, new interface that makes sense plz mm'kay?

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #17 on: March 16, 2006, 07:20:35 AM

I think new mmorpgs have spoiled us lots :) Horrible and cluttered UIs were the norm instead of the exception. And btw, SB wasn't even too bad from what I remember. I had to pass a lot of time to set it up but then it wasn't too bad.

Instead I had major problems trying to figure out how to play and how to develop the character. The newbie experience and all. And a client that felt really clunky and prehistoric.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: March 16, 2006, 07:29:19 AM

Maybe they will put up a website where you can buy gear and autolevel your characters for $$$!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #19 on: March 16, 2006, 08:01:05 AM

SB's interface was sublimely good. In that you actually had to fuck with it a bit, but once you got it like you liked it, it was butter.

I am so tempted by this. Shadowbane really is the hawt ex-girlfriend that is so good in bed but you just know she's got the clap.

Sachant
Developers

Wolfpack

Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 08:10:09 AM

I lastest 2 minutes in the game.  Sheesh it was utter chaos, new interface that makes sense plz mm'kay?

You can pull any buttons down you want off of anything.  Make windows click through, transparent, change fonts whatever.  The default isn't all that great.  It's the customization that makes it great though.

Two minutes isn't enough time to set your interface up to where you want it. ;)

Sachant
Bartle Test Killer  73% , Socializer  60%, Explorer  60%, Achiever  6%
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: March 16, 2006, 08:12:55 AM

SB's interface was sublimely good. In that you actually had to fuck with it a bit, but once you got it like you liked it, it was butter.

I am so tempted by this. Shadowbane really is the hawt ex-girlfriend that is so good in bed but you just know she's got the clap.

It seems like everyone has one of those memories from the college days.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #22 on: March 16, 2006, 08:16:03 AM

Don't you think that the first moments you spend with a game shouldn't be dedicated to rearanging a gui? Unless of course you've just bought Evergui or World of Guicraft. Then I guess it'd be great.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #23 on: March 16, 2006, 08:22:19 AM

Don't you think that the first moments you spend with a game shouldn't be dedicated to rearanging a gui? Unless of course you've just bought Evergui or World of Guicraft. Then I guess it'd be great.

Sure. Let me know when a game comes out that lets me do that that isn't a console game.

EQ2's? Rearranged (and added a user made map feature). WoW's? DEAR GOD YES. User mods made that game much more enjoyable.

There are very few UI's that are good right out of the box. None of them are MMOG's.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: March 16, 2006, 08:25:08 AM

For veterans, that is truth. For newbies, not so much. WoW's GUI gets the job done for people who haven't been mucking with their UI since /hitsmode was a crazy DOS line of code.
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: March 16, 2006, 08:29:02 AM

I was also having problems with the UI, I will spend some time to see if I can make it work for me. Then back to wacking a few spiders I guess.
AshenTemper
Developers

BiowarEA

Reply #26 on: March 16, 2006, 08:49:13 AM

First, Haemish, your quote made me ROFL!  Good to see some thing haven't changed :D

Anyhow, if you are interested in basically unrestrained PvP (and yes, I'll fully admit, Shadowbane is not for everyone), read on.  If you're not interested in the concept at all, I wouldn't take the time to download the game.  Shadowbane is built upon player conflict and unrestrained PvP; so if you're looking for a questing game or PvE or PvP Light, Shadowbane would not be for you.

But, if it is, I would highly recommend reading the following:

What is Shadowbane?
- http://chronicle.ubi.com/What+is+Shadowbane.php

Getting Started
- http://chronicle.ubi.com/Getting+Started.php

Shadowbane Player-Created Guides
- http://ubbforums.ubi.com/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=playerguides

Now, as far as the UI goes, I would check these links:

http://chronicle.ubi.com/SIG_Interface.php

http://chronicle.ubi.com/chatfilter.php

Sean Dahlberg
"Translation: He requires proof of good faith. We must make a contribution to his people that shows we are not a threat. Shall I blast him now, master?" - HK-47
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #27 on: March 16, 2006, 08:50:43 AM

So Ashen, can you tell us the details behind the free thing yet?

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: March 16, 2006, 08:53:57 AM

I had a little problem with the SIT archive for Mac, but it was not the fault of Wolfpack or Shadowbane. It was some problem with my Stuffit Expander installation. I re-installed and rebooted and it unpacked like a charm. SB is installed and patching the Throne of Oblivion files now. Should get a chance to login soon.

@Cheddar
I know that customizable interfaces can be daunting especially to newbies to the game and to the genre. I did my homework on SB before I started playing so I knew what to expect there and I actually really liked the ease of customizing their interface. It was one of the best interface experiences that I ever actually had in an MMOG. I know what you mean though about those first few minutes making an impression on the new player.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #29 on: March 16, 2006, 08:55:15 AM

@Cheddar
I know that customizable interfaces can be daunting especially to newbies to the game and to the genre. I did my homework on SB before I started playing so I knew what to expect there and I actually really liked the ease of customizing their interface. It was one of the best interface experiences that I ever actually had in an MMOG. I know what you mean though about those first few minutes making an impression on the new player.

I did make an attempt to figure things out, and saying I played for 2 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration.  I probably spent around 10 minutes working on UI things- I logged off after not finding the means to reverse the mouse. 

I'll give it another shot later this week, assuming I can find a palatable GUI.  Character creation was a wee bit chaotic as well, but I understood some of what I picked so no substantial complaints there.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2006, 08:58:37 AM by Cheddar »

AshenTemper
Developers

BiowarEA

Reply #30 on: March 16, 2006, 08:56:01 AM

So Ashen, can you tell us the details behind the free thing yet?

I wish I could but I was told not to yet (I know, I know).  As soon as I can, though, I'll make sure to answer all questions.

Sean Dahlberg
"Translation: He requires proof of good faith. We must make a contribution to his people that shows we are not a threat. Shall I blast him now, master?" - HK-47
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #31 on: March 16, 2006, 09:02:04 AM

Are we going have an f13 guild?

"Me am play gods"
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #32 on: March 16, 2006, 09:03:22 AM

Are we going have an f13 guild?

That can be arranged, assuming I (or someone else) get into enough to leave the nooblet place, and assuming we get enough people to play.  Assumptions are pretty radical!

You thinking of trying it Tazel?  We can get noobified together!

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #33 on: March 16, 2006, 09:04:22 AM

Interface was very nice because you could set it up the way you wanted for the most part.

If you dip your toe back in Haemish, lemme know. I could see myself getting back into this. I bet Nebu would be tempted as well.
AshenTemper
Developers

BiowarEA

Reply #34 on: March 16, 2006, 09:07:15 AM

Interface was very nice because you could set it up the way you wanted for the most part.

Just FYI, we added a new option under the Windows Menu called "Import Layout".  So if you set up one character with the layout you want, you can use that function to import it to other characters.  That, combined with "Import Hotkeys" (in the Hotkeys GUI) makes setting up interfaces MUCH easier after you have one the way you like it.

Sean Dahlberg
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Shadowbane goes to no subscription fee  
Jump to: