Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:22:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Shadowbane goes to no subscription fee 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Shadowbane goes to no subscription fee  (Read 43080 times)
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #105 on: March 17, 2006, 12:49:51 PM

LOL a quick search and it's in the mall across from me at work now.  Well, Lum you got me.    And I'll try SB from the CD.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: March 17, 2006, 01:09:42 PM

I put a http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=playerguides&Number=2678533&Main=2678533#Post2678533]Skill and Stat Refinement Overview up in the SG player guides section. Some older members might not have been around when those were implemented, and fishing through 3 years of patch history for that sorta info is a PITA.

For some the option may be a reroll, but since you can refine skills, stats, discs, and runes nowdays you might not have to reroll if you don't want to.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #107 on: March 17, 2006, 04:54:59 PM

Umm... I was meaning to buy it, too.  Right after I clean out the bookcase in the bathroom. 

No, really.

Heart

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #108 on: March 17, 2006, 09:09:25 PM

By the way, just in case you BOUGHT MY DAMN BOOK (all 3000 or so of you), there's a Shadowbane install on the DVD. I checked and there's about a 60mb or so patch from that version.

I did actually buy it several months ago.  But that's mostly because I have a whole page in it. (Even then, I'm so cheap I almost didn't.  My girlfriend at the time convinced me.  "Gregg," she said, because she liked to call me that... in fact, just about everyone I  meet in reality calls me that... "You're IN THE BOOK.  Buy it!"  So I did, cause she was right and also I wanted to have sex that night and figured being both cheap and stubborn wouldn't put her in the mood.) I mean... I know about MMGs already.  Most of what you explain I already get.  It's well-written, but old news to me.  Though I did start calling them "MMGs" since reading it, so thanks for that?

I did install Shadowbane using the CD.  I rolled up an Irekei (they looked least ugly), tried to figure out how to move, wandered (or stumbled, really) around a little bit until I could figure out how to find foozles, found a foozle, whacked it, decided, "Wow, this is a really bad UI and I can't even imagine getting used to this control scheme."  I then spent about a minute figuring out how to quit, then quit.

AND SO BEGINNETH AND ENDETH MY GLORIOUS JOURNEY INTO THE CHAOTIC REALM OF AERYNTH

Sorry, not for me.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2006, 09:12:58 PM by Llava »

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #109 on: March 18, 2006, 04:52:29 AM

Sat. am update:

Unequivocally the worst game UI ever.  And I don't say that flippantly.  I've never tried worse, although I'm sure some exist.  Can you get XP for the grinding the UI?  I'm waiting to figure out how to unlock the ability to move windows.  Trying the FM, wherever that is.

[Edit] I won't repeat what everyone else has said.  I'll give it another try, otherwise I don't mind paying $20/month for a gaming experience that won't kill my cognitive load.

[Edit2]
Ok  /calm
1) how do you remap movement keys?
2) how do you lock the overhead camera?  moving anywhere's moves the camera vertically
3) how do you lock the rotating camera?  moving left pans it right, right is left...
4) anyone got an export of their preferences of a normal file I can grab?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 05:12:37 AM by Soln »
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #110 on: March 18, 2006, 07:49:53 AM

To drag the windows press shift+left click.
1) how do you remap movement keys?
From the options (press Esc, then go to preferences), one of the icons on the left tab will open another panel for the keys.

2) how do you lock the overhead camera?  moving anywhere's moves the camera vertically
I think you can disable the scrolling. From the patcher open the configurator. Or remap the camera controls to WASD as many of us have done.

3) how do you lock the rotating camera?  moving left pans it right, right is left...
I inverted the x axis of the mouse. Again from SB Config -> Options.

I don't know if it's possible. The game only shares profiles from other characters as far as I know.

Btw, it couldn't be possible to organize with the Corp guys? I don't think splitting is a good thing in this game, also considering that many of us won't probably last too long.

Plus I would also vote for the Mourning server, so that we can see more variance in classes and races.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2006, 07:53:57 AM by HRose »

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #111 on: March 18, 2006, 08:00:42 AM

Also, when they say 'you can remap the movement keys'  keep in mind it'll still be point & click movement.  That's alll Shadowbane has at this point.

Even as a vet I've forgotten more about the interface than I remember... and a lot of it came back to me with bad, bad memories.  Like tooltips that don't have any logic behind why they will or won't display.  The rotating hyper-sensitive camera Soln mentioned (which I can remap at least..)  It's just a frustrating experience over-all because it's such a 'non-standard' interface you have to re-learn everything.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: March 18, 2006, 08:52:20 AM

>> 1) how do you remap movement keys?

You move with a mouse. Click on any part of terrain or minmap and you character will run there.

>> 2) how do you lock the overhead camera?  moving anywhere's moves the camera vertically

You use camera to look around. While there is setting to lock it somewhere in /esc/settings/camera controls doing so will leave you nearly blind to the world.

Here is how you move and look around: Right click on any part of minimap or terrain and you character will start moving toward that spot. Move cursor toward edge of the screen and camera will rotate. While your character running toward distant spot you are looking around.

ESC/Settings/Reverse horizontal, with that being done it will be more sane. Also hit Esc/setting/camera controls/AutoTrack - this will stop camera moving on its own. All important camera controls located in that menu - play with them until you are happy with your camera settings.

Trust me, you will need to know how to set up your interface and how to navigate around it. Getting someone's else interface will only help you in a short run.

To move any window - shift and drag. You can move any and all windows and any and all round ( ) buttons also can be moved and/or binded to hot key (right click on it and find bind menu)

Short list of important windows and how to get to them:

a) Chat window - you will want at least two of them, one for combat feedback, another for communications. Found in esc/windows/chat window. Click on window to get to chats and for your combat window, filters unselect all but combat and powers. In your communication window unselect all but nation, shout,info,group,guild,city,say,tell

b) minimap - if you ever close it it can be found in esc/windows/local map

c) Powers window - esc/character info/powers(small), this will bring a list of all actions your character can do, with level it will be rather numerous. Shft+drag to move individual powers to anywhere on screen.

d) esc/windows/selection - this is information about your current target. Number of symbols on it tell you a rank, red and dark orange you are outleveled and will die trying to kill mob, white and you outlevel it and won't get exp from killing. Best is shades of blue.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Target_Erukul
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: March 18, 2006, 12:56:46 PM

The UI is daunting when you first pop it open, but Shadowbanes UI was the first totally customizable UI available in a MMG. I also reverse the camera movements, use hotkey/button to target NPC's/PC's. I use keyboard shorts for everyday stuff...A =melee, S =stats(and access to spells/skills from there), E=equiped, I= Inventory..etc.

I threw together three UI's real quick - even the font type and size is changeable-  Wish I could find those sweet custom ones I used back in the day, still searching :p

Yeah it's me, and No I don't care if I made you cry.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: March 20, 2006, 09:27:34 AM

You wrote a book?

Actually I meant to buy it, right after I buy a car and a 600gb external HD.   Hello Kitty

And a pony.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #115 on: June 26, 2006, 10:39:19 AM

Out of interest, are all the very many short threads on this board about moving SB threads out of view? If so, oops. It's certainly an intersting posting 'style', akin to IGN.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #116 on: June 26, 2006, 10:43:40 AM

Na, it's just UO Board is cult of Chatty Kathy's.  They have to have something to do while the macroes play the game for them.

"Me am play gods"
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #117 on: June 26, 2006, 10:57:30 AM

Na, it's just UO Board is cult of Chatty Kathy's.  They have to have something to do while the macroes play the game for them.

QFT

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #118 on: June 26, 2006, 11:30:33 AM

QFT

He was being an ass.  Ignore him and he will go away.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Chinchilla
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 26, 2006, 12:09:05 PM

Well due ot Shadowbane being dead and boring.  I think the post deserves to disappear.  I enjoy killing ppl and not worrying about some guild coming and ransacking my town in vengence.  I enjoy not having to run around to find some player trainer that is high enough in rank to train me.

No experience grind, no need to do every single repetitive task (macros WOOO!!), and some other things.  I'd say UO is my top candidate for free game to play.

Chinchila - LaRoche Server, APB
Drahcir - 50 Captain/GM Weaponsmith, LoTRO Silverlode (Retired)
St Drahcir - 7xMage, UO Chesapeake (Retired)
Chinchilla Dakilla - Barbarian R50, Shadowbane (Retired)
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 26, 2006, 12:55:41 PM

Ignore him and he will go away.

That bit was wrong at least.

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #121 on: June 26, 2006, 01:00:54 PM

He was being an ass.  Ignore him and he will go away.
That's going to work.  I am on the verge of quitting F13.net right now.  Where is the cancel button anyway?  Or do I have to call Schild directly?

I guess I'll post something topical.  I was browsing the SB boards, killing time this weekend. It's like nothing was changed in the 3 years.  Same old pissing coutests:  So-and-so is the zerg. So-and-so exploits. So-and-so razes new trees. So-and-so sucks at pvp. Its fallen into a patten and not really any more "meaningful" than DAoC RvR.

"Me am play gods"
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 26, 2006, 01:10:32 PM

But that goes without saying for all the 'official' gaming boards. It's all b.net behaviour, whether it's WoW, SWG, SB, or whatever. People feel slighted and come to game boards to whine, piss and moan about other folks.

And on a more interesting Shadowbane story - has Sachant's next job been made known yet?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Ultima Online  |  Topic: Shadowbane goes to no subscription fee  
Jump to: