Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: DDO Head Start - Starts 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: DDO Head Start - Starts  (Read 129082 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: February 28, 2006, 08:54:05 AM

This guy is a fucking idiot. Seriously. What DID he expect? I call anyone that races to the level cap an idiot, unless they've just absolutely never seen or heard of an MMOG. Now what do you do? Cancel your preorder, or keep paying a subscription fee for a game that you missed the entire fucking point of.

Of course, this also echoes what I said in beta a few times. There will never be enough content on release. EVER. Why couldn't this game have been delayed 6 more months to add an asston more content? I don't know, and I'm sure money was involved. But it doesn't matter, because now Turbine will again have to deal with the typical MMOG player who doesn't know how to have fun, only how to grind to the end game as quickly and efficiently as possible.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #36 on: February 28, 2006, 10:14:34 AM

Some sage advice in that thread:

Try Vanguard. Approximately 3000 hours to reach max level and, I assure you, with Brad and Co. running things, there will be countless hours of farming at the end game.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #37 on: February 28, 2006, 12:34:27 PM

This guy is a fucking idiot. Seriously. What DID he expect? I call anyone that races to the level cap an idiot, unless they've just absolutely never seen or heard of an MMOG. Now what do you do? Cancel your preorder, or keep paying a subscription fee for a game that you missed the entire fucking point of.

He's played more games than me according to one of his posts, he's trolling them and making a point.  He started 3 threads within a few minutes of each other, all of them about being level 10.  I'm guessing he's a beta player (no surprise really), intends to cancel his pre-order or just doesn't care about the box price.  He only played the head start to get to 10 and has a major chip on his shoulder about the game design (he listed Lineage 1 & 2 and beta Darkfall, so I'm betting he's mainly interested in pvp).  He had the free time and the will to show the game for what it is, content-lite.

Sure he's an idiot for trolling them but the people flaming him for playing too much are going to level 10 in a few weeks, it's going to be funny seeing them post about the same content issues and having more idiots flame them for "powergaming".
« Last Edit: February 28, 2006, 12:36:33 PM by Arthur_Parker »
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 28, 2006, 12:54:06 PM

This guy is a fucking idiot. Seriously. What DID he expect?

OK, he's an idiot.  You're missing the point.  If the most catasstrophic catass can max out in two days, then chances are good that a large portion of the playerbase will be maxed out before their free month expires.  And once they max there will be nothing for them to do.  This bodes ill for the game, whether or not this particular catass even exists or is just a figment of our collective imagination. 

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #39 on: February 28, 2006, 02:02:06 PM

This guy is a fucking idiot. Seriously. What DID he expect?

OK, he's an idiot.  You're missing the point.  If the most catasstrophic catass can max out in two days, then chances are good that a large portion of the playerbase will be maxed out before their free month expires.  And once they max there will be nothing for them to do.  This bodes ill for the game, whether or not this particular catass even exists or is just a figment of our collective imagination. 

No, I got that point too. I didn't think it was a hard point to get. I relish the thoughts of hundreds of typical MMOG whiners on the official message boards screaming that there is no content after level 10, if only because I'm an asshole who likes to be proven right. I said months ago there wasn't going to be enough content and the whining would start really soon.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: March 01, 2006, 06:05:09 PM

Good.  Hopefully this will kill off Turbine and send a message to the industry.

World of Warcraft has gotten a lot of gaming companies very, very greedy.  Conversely, the failure of poor games (DDO, SWG), or the lackluster performance of mediocre games (EQ2) serve as powerful motivators to do the shit right or all your work will be for nothing.  Sorry, but I've got no pity whatsoever for Turbine or their financial backers.  Either take your time, make sure it's fun, or suck the pipe.

I just look at it as carrots and sticks.

ETA:  The other nice lesson that these jackasses need to learn is that in the grand scheme of things a big name license means dick.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2006, 06:07:23 PM by Big Gulp »
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: March 02, 2006, 07:26:39 AM

Preach that Gospel brother Gulp.

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #42 on: March 02, 2006, 07:52:46 AM

So night#4 of playing and I'm up to maybe 10 hrs on two toons on Aerenal (?)  I have nothing prior to Turbine and no axe to grind.  But after a few hours of play or less than that I get really frustrated. The game has been for me maybe 2-3mins of dungeon combat, and then 10mins of zoning, resting, and travelling to start again.  Rinse repeat.  Not exaggerating any of this.  I'm just really surprised at the gameplay is all.

This unfortunately is one of the most frustrating games I've played in a while, since maybe DAoC Cats/DF.  And funny enough they have the same problem: no one groups.  DDO is superb graphically, and aside from the content thin-ness (which is Ok as an RPG if you don't rush, but I won't pay a monthly fee), the overwhelming problem is design.  I haven't left level 1 yet and I can't.  I can't solo with my fighter or wizard toon some basic level 1 dungeons in order to advance.  And I refuse to play the big-guy-tank FOTM.  I'm presuming that after level 1 is when people start grouping, although I've still yet to group or see anyone group.  I had my LFG status up for an hour+ (77mins actually) -- I asked 4 times people to group.  One guy said, "Oh I just finished that" while I was making a request.  The others were no reply. 

The problem is that people are all banging on quests like flys at a window, some getting through, others picking up and trying again.  But those people advancing are not stopping to group.  It's sociologically bizarre.   I can't be that bad a player, so some people are advancing with the barbarian FOTM and the rest are retrying what seem to me to be impossible odds.  Again, it's almost peverse.  How can you have an MMP which is basically just a ring toss?  Try, die, trytrytry again.  Add to that that you can actually REPEAT the exact same dungeon if you succeed.  They have "normal", "hard" and "elite" modes.  Does this somehow triple the content?

It's just BIZARRE.  and frustrating.  How can you build a game that is only caters to groups?  WTF happens if people don't group?  OR some set of people maybe not in beta aren't grouping?  You would THINK that in a design that deliberately channels players into grouping that there would actually be mechanisms or better incentives to ensure players did in fact group -- or could group.  Right now, like I said, it feel like houseflies trying to get out.  I feel like there's some sub-narrative or sub-game going on I'm just not getting.  And funny enough, even though I am playing on preorder I can't seem to access the forums to play the meta-game of learning-how-to-really-play-the-game-with-the-unwritten-rules yet.  I also can't access my billing to cancel, presumably because I am on preorder.  They are going to get my box sale and one month out of me I guess.  Not impressed at all.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2006, 07:56:05 AM by Soln »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: March 02, 2006, 07:55:30 AM

Preach that Gospel brother Gulp.

Amen.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: March 02, 2006, 07:56:36 AM

Soln:

I've read others on the DDO boards who have indicated that there are classes or templates that cannot advance at all sans group at level one.  So it's definitely not just you.

-Numtini
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #45 on: March 02, 2006, 08:00:27 AM

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: March 02, 2006, 08:03:56 AM

Honestly?  I'm just stunned by the lack of gameplay or balance.  It's incredible.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #47 on: March 02, 2006, 10:34:31 AM

You would THINK that in a design that deliberately channels players into grouping that there would actually be mechanisms or better incentives to ensure players did in fact group -- or could group.

What additional mechanisms and incentives would those be?  DDO provides some pretty good ones, but at some point, unfortunately, you always hit the limit of human potential (and I mean here the potential of human players to not be retards).  Which is really the main reason I haven't picked up DDO - if I had a good group of human beings to play with, it'd be fun, but I burnt out on pickup groups during beta.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #48 on: March 02, 2006, 12:49:24 PM

Soln:

I've read others on the DDO boards who have indicated that there are classes or templates that cannot advance at all sans group at level one.  So it's definitely not just you.

That would be me talking about rogues. A lot. I also said this would be a problem for MMOG players.

The game is not made to solo. Period. It just is not. Unfortunately, it's not really written (from a lore/backstory perspective) so as to tell you "Group you fucking monkey, or get used to dying." It really is a game for those with ready-made groups of friends.

CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #49 on: March 02, 2006, 01:50:26 PM

I haven't had any trouble grouping, even before I got into a guild of like-minded, 25-yrs-of-age-and-up players who make it very easy to find a group when I want to play.  I get random /tells from people asking me if I need a group.  The game may not have much community outside of guilds and friends lists, but it's fun for what it is.  If anything the problem is that it's not aimed at the typical MMO audience crowd.  I see plenty of people playing it and enjoying it. 

It's not a game for those who want to solo.  Period.  It's just not, and I don't think that it really even tries to be that.  Maybe it should be in huge letters on the back of the box, "THIS IS NOT FOR SOLOERS," but you'd think the D&D name would kind of imply that.  Hell, even in the Baldur's Gate and IWD games, your main PC had a group to help him out. 

As far as the newbie quests go, it is possible to solo them with any class, really.  It's very very hard to do it with certain classes (wizards & sorcerors, mainly), but I managed to get to the main harbor area before being forced to group, even with a rogue.  Besides, you only really have to do one quest to get past the gates.  Odds are that you'll need a group, but it is soloable.

I think this is a fun game, and others don't agree with me.  That's cool, that's how life works.  I don't think that this will be a massive failure on Turbine's part unless they really can't get enough content generated.  From what I understand, even during beta, the devs were discussing upping the level cap to 11 or 12, and there's an entire area of the game that is currently "closed."  I guess we'll see after the first month.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #50 on: March 02, 2006, 01:52:45 PM

The game is not made to solo. Period. It just is not. Unfortunately, it's not really written (from a lore/backstory perspective) so as to tell you "Group you fucking monkey, or get used to dying."

Not in those exact words, but whatisname from the first quests (Old Sully?) does say after you complete the first couple of solo-only noob quests that from this point on you should really find a group of people to adventure with instead of going out on your own.  A number of the quest givers give similar warnings when they give their quests, usually saying something along the lines of "be sure you bring some friends along, those trogs don't mess around and you'll need all the help you can get".  

Of course, that's assuming the MMOG monkeys actually read the words on the screen, which is asking a lot.  Maybe the loading screen should be a video of Gary Gygax saying the word "group" over and over again.

Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: March 02, 2006, 05:19:17 PM

The game may not have much community outside of guilds and friends lists, but it's fun for what it is. 

Problem is one of the box requirements wasn't bring-yer-own-guild (BYOG?).

How do you form a community when the challenge is the same for everyone, everyone has the same gear, there is no economy, no customization, and the longest quests are over in minutes?

Maybe at higher levels the uber-quests taken longer, but it's moot, since you need to be in a guild to get there.  Every MMO needs groups, but having a game that requires just that is stupid.  Where is the downtime?  Where's the "me" time?  There is none, and needs to be none because no one is an individual, just a role.  It may be all MMO's devolve into roles ultimately, but I'm still stunned by the thin-ness and barreness of this game.  There's no reason for it to be an MMP or called one.  Should be just for LAN parties.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: March 02, 2006, 09:28:07 PM

It's not a MMP game really. It's a bad Phantasy Star Online.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #53 on: March 03, 2006, 05:22:38 AM

More reports of level 10's here, with the first guy to provide screenshots I have seen.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: March 03, 2006, 05:55:51 AM

I love the responses to these kinds of posts that suggest the OP is some sort of 12-yo hypertensive crack addict isomniac.  Like its his fault that he's tenth, and yes there's nothing else to do in the game, and so he's getting what he deserves.

Fools.

-Numtini
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #55 on: March 03, 2006, 07:41:34 AM

I was looking through the social window and one of the tabs is a list of pretty much every player on the server, there were a slew of level nines.
Glazius
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: March 03, 2006, 08:17:03 AM

I love the responses to these kinds of posts that suggest the OP is some sort of 12-yo hypertensive crack addict isomniac.  Like its his fault that he's tenth, and yes there's nothing else to do in the game, and so he's getting what he deserves.

Fools.
But don't you know? Playing outside the game design of the publishers is evil! Clearly anyone who plays less than one half-hour per day should leave the game for the good of the society!

--GF

Also, freedom is slavery, peace is war, and Big Wizard Brother is Scrying You.
Soln
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: March 03, 2006, 08:53:28 AM

I was looking through the social window and one of the tabs is a list of pretty much every player on the server, there were a slew of level nines.

a quick glance at the boards general discussion seems to show a new lvl 10 every few hours, with screenshots yes.  Whatever.  The only thing I am trying to figure out is how to cancel.
Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: March 03, 2006, 11:06:19 AM

Whoever deleted my NDA breaking DDO post months ago wasted a lot of people's money!

It's going to be great to see what happens with this. Turbine needs to axe basically every decision maker from AC2 development onward and start over again.

Sorry DM. Are you still "sticking with DDO"?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #59 on: March 03, 2006, 11:27:09 AM

Whoever deleted my NDA breaking DDO post months ago wasted a lot of people's money!

No, because we actually released information later that was NDA-approved, AND we also started talking about the game in the public boards (and made this board public) when the NDA dropped. We actually take NDA stuff pretty seriously.

Oh, and FOAD.

Nija
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: March 03, 2006, 11:30:01 AM

So your nda-breaking private subforum was cool and my post wasn't, basically? Hey, I had a DDO beta account. How come I wasn't allowed in the treehouse?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #61 on: March 03, 2006, 11:59:04 AM

So your nda-breaking private subforum was cool and my post wasn't, basically? Hey, I had a DDO beta account. How come I wasn't allowed in the treehouse?

Having the forum private was what kept it from breaking the NDA, since only people who were in the beta (and under NDA) were allowed to view it.

In your post that got deleted you said specifically that you were not in the beta.  If you're looking to be allowed into the NDA treehouse, wiping your ass with the NDA and then bragging about it isn't the best way to go about it.   rolleyes

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #62 on: March 03, 2006, 12:06:02 PM

I like NDAs.  It tells me how shitty your game is.  Very long NDA = very shitty game.   

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #63 on: March 03, 2006, 12:26:25 PM

You didn't tell us you were in beta, and you weren't one of the ones who got a beta through Callandryll. What we did in this forum wasn't NDA breaking, because it was private, only allowed people with access, and we had the dev community guy looking at our posts anyway. Any other stupid fucking questions?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #64 on: March 03, 2006, 12:41:43 PM

Any other stupid fucking questions?
If there was a zombie invasion tomorrow, and you could only had time to grab one weapon, what would it be?
-Pika

"Me am play gods"
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #65 on: March 03, 2006, 12:46:32 PM

HK MP5.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: March 03, 2006, 12:55:43 PM

HK MP5.

Very good choice.  Lots of 9mm ammo around and they are sturdy, easily maintainable weapons.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #67 on: March 03, 2006, 01:05:52 PM

Any other stupid fucking questions?
If there was a zombie invasion tomorrow, and you could only had time to grab one weapon, what would it be?
-Pika

Does this question assume I have to choose from a list of likely available weapons at my home or office, or can I choose from any weapon in existence?

I have never played WoW.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #68 on: March 03, 2006, 01:44:09 PM

Any weapon you could own or the government might issue to a normal soldier, but you have to find ammo, maintain it, carry it around indefinitely to defend yourself against the zombie horde as civilization as we know it collapses around you.

I think I'd go with a shotgun.  I have doubts about the stopping power of small caliber bullets against the undead and no confidence in my ability to get head shots.  If I was a buff guy, I'd go with the good old fire axe.

"Me am play gods"
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #69 on: March 03, 2006, 02:13:11 PM

Zombie Bird Flu.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Dungeons & Dragon Online  |  Topic: DDO Head Start - Starts  
Jump to: