Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:21:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Seed" - Possible time dump for bored people. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Seed" - Possible time dump for bored people.  (Read 49532 times)
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #105 on: September 29, 2006, 07:54:30 PM

Hopefully one of these failed MMOGs will go open source rather than be locked away.

Still no Motor City Online for me :(
EA is evil!

schild
Administrator

Reply #106 on: September 29, 2006, 08:01:40 PM

Seed should very very go open source.

They should release a server client package for comic chat rooms. Seriously. I find it to be a very attractive game.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: September 29, 2006, 08:08:28 PM

Hopefully one of these failed MMOGs will go open source rather than be locked away.

Amen.  More games should go open source once their devs have nothing to lose.  Ah well.

On a related note, the Seed forums are so sad... the same half dozen guys in ten different threads, all "I had a great time, it was great to meet all you wonderful people!" and "thanks, dev team!  Thank you... for FOLLOWING YOUR DREAMS" and stuff...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #108 on: September 30, 2006, 11:27:54 PM

I believe Allegiance also went open source.. or semi-open-source. Last time I checked, Microsoft Research had some kind of wacky license of doom on it that you had to accept to get the source.

I haven't even heard of it before. Doesn't look bad.

Anyone here playing it?

[edit] Umm...Looks like 30 people are online at the Community website. Quake 2 has more MMO potential than this.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 11:38:22 PM by Stray »
CmdrSlack
Contributor

Reply #109 on: October 01, 2006, 05:13:55 PM

Seed should very very go open source.

They should release a server client package for comic chat rooms. Seriously. I find it to be a very attractive game.

The cell shaded graphics were really quite nice when they worked.  It's too bad these guys couldn't make it work.  You know it doesn't bode well for a launch when they come out and say, "Our investors are making us release early, so please forgive any suckyness."  It was also funny that I got emails telling me my free account time had been extended when I'd already cancelled.

I traded in my fun blog for several legal blogs. Or, "blawgs," as the cutesy attorney blawgosphere likes to call 'em.
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: October 01, 2006, 05:37:26 PM

I believe Allegiance also went open source.. or semi-open-source. Last time I checked, Microsoft Research had some kind of wacky license of doom on it that you had to accept to get the source.

Anyone here playing it?

[edit] Umm...Looks like 30 people are online at the Community website. Quake 2 has more MMO potential than this.

It's old; real old.  Like Six years old.

Back in the day, I LOVED it.  The Dev team had events that advanced the storyline and everything; I thought it was amazing.  You could play for free (well, minus the initial box purchase) if you wanted to, or you could subscribe and get the "premium" version (I wish some MMORPGs would do this; being able to play a shitty version of WoW over a LAN would be fun). 

It's not so much an MMO, though, as an RTS/space shooter hybrid.  Like Savage or Battlezone or Natural Selection, except in space with spaceships (a lot like EVE, in that regard).  I think there was a player cap of something like 64 per game before the servers started leaking smoke and the lag started killing the gameplay.
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #111 on: October 01, 2006, 11:56:59 PM

Anyone here playing it?

It's old; real old.  Like Six years old.

Back in the day, I LOVED it.  The Dev team had events that advanced the storyline and everything; I thought it was amazing.  You could play for free (well, minus the initial box purchase) if you wanted to, or you could subscribe and get the "premium" version (I wish some MMORPGs would do this; being able to play a shitty version of WoW over a LAN would be fun). 

It's not so much an MMO, though, as an RTS/space shooter hybrid.  Like Savage or Battlezone or Natural Selection, except in space with spaceships (a lot like EVE, in that regard).  I think there was a player cap of something like 64 per game before the servers started leaking smoke and the lag started killing the gameplay.

Agreed - I played the hell out of Allegiance. Was not a MMOG (64 players max and not persistent) but with the Commander role it was unique and still is. FYI - commander was essentially a player who didn't fly a ship but made decisions about the technical advancement of your team and assigned targets for the pilots. Damn fine game.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Rhonstet
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: October 04, 2006, 10:01:11 AM

We now return to your regularly scheduled foolishness, already in progress.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #113 on: November 08, 2006, 10:44:30 PM

The Escapist has a post-mortem interview with a Seed dev. Author was obviously a fan of the game.

Much as I like the idea of player voting, I'm 100% sure the third resolution passed would have been, "Implement a combat system". Anyway, dead is dead.

geldonyetich
Terracotta Army

The Anne Coulter of MMO punditry

Reply #114 on: November 08, 2006, 10:53:40 PM

Nice of them to bury the corpse instead of leaving it to stink up the MMOG scene.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: "Seed" - Possible time dump for bored people.  
Jump to: