Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:30:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: movies that suck 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: movies that suck  (Read 19020 times)
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: January 13, 2006, 10:47:28 AM

We are but shadows in dust, jpark.  Shadows in dust.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #71 on: January 13, 2006, 10:57:55 AM

I thought Predator 2 was hilarious because Danny Glover beats a killing machine of an alien in a hand-to-hand fight with the alien's own weapon.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #72 on: January 13, 2006, 10:58:26 AM

What was there to like in Gladiator that wasn't done better in Braveheart?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #73 on: January 13, 2006, 11:36:51 AM

I condemn you all... you're the same guys who didn't like Gladiator.

Bah.

I liked Gladiator, despite its complete lack of any actual historical accuracy whatsoever.

schild
Administrator

Reply #74 on: January 13, 2006, 11:38:15 AM

I liked gladiator and if I want history I'll read a history book.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #75 on: January 13, 2006, 11:38:24 AM

Bah.

I liked Gladiator, despite its complete lack of any actual historical accuracy whatsoever.

It was very historical to me. The truthiness of that movie was beyond what any book might say.
WayAbvPar

Reply #76 on: January 13, 2006, 11:58:34 AM

Bah.

Probably because Gladiator sucked ass.

What do you call a Roman Senator with a pube in his teeth? Gladiator!  Rimshot

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #77 on: January 13, 2006, 12:16:19 PM

Bah.

You are a bad human being for liking that movie.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: January 13, 2006, 12:36:09 PM

Bah.

Whoa.  I am no historian - but the I thought the depiction of Rome in its final conflict with the Teutonic tribes in the opening scene in Europe was quite impressive.

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #79 on: January 13, 2006, 12:38:57 PM

Gladiator qualified for me in the entertaining movie category. Braveheart was a movie with a few good sequences, but was basically overrated tripe.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #80 on: January 13, 2006, 12:49:37 PM

Gladiator has 100% less crazy-as-fuck Mel Gibson in it. 

-Rasix
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: January 13, 2006, 01:15:15 PM

Looking forward to the sequal to Underworld. 

I realize films are subjective - but if you're a man - Kate Beckinsdale is not  shocked

In other words - there is every reason to see the film   Mob

"  HaemishM.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #82 on: January 13, 2006, 01:34:46 PM

Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: January 13, 2006, 01:54:22 PM

Gladiator has 100% less crazy-as-fuck Mel Gibson in it. 

I vote Gladiator too.  The whole "Narnia as allegory for the life of Christ" thing got me thinking about Braveheart.  Mel Gibson playing "the martyr for the true people of a certain land against the oppressive regime" really sticks in my craw.  Bring back Haemish's Melvatar.

Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #84 on: January 13, 2006, 05:43:10 PM

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #85 on: January 13, 2006, 06:02:17 PM

To everyone who doesn't like Yimou Zhang films (Hero, Hidden Daggers, etc.): you're ignorant, you're an asshole, and you're wrong. You don't get Wu Xia and that's your fault, not his. Don't knock a centuries-old genre of storytelling (and filmmaking, for the last 85 years) just because your lazy western ass doesn't understand that these stories are ancient Chinese fairy tales.

Cinéma chinoise is a thing of beauty, and if you don't agree it's because you're wrong. Or just stupid.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #86 on: January 13, 2006, 06:11:06 PM

Hey Voodoolily - Hero was a piece of shit.

The guy has a good batting record, but no one can make Jet Li worth watching. House of Flying Daggers was masterful though.

Edit: And just for fun, I could smoke your ass on the topic of chinese cinema. People know my <3s for Asia.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #87 on: January 13, 2006, 06:12:34 PM

This isn't a competition, schildy. Blow it out yer ass.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #88 on: January 13, 2006, 06:13:19 PM

This isn't a competition, schildy. Blow it out yer ass.

* schild blows daggers out of his ass at your copy of Hero.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #89 on: January 13, 2006, 06:27:19 PM

I don't get those movies.  I didn't get that Flying Tiger, Hidden Driveway one, either.  They don't make a spit of sense to me.  They're fun to watch, however...  because they are so silly looking.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #90 on: January 13, 2006, 06:34:45 PM

but no one can make Jet Li worth watching.

Any red-blooded girl (and 10% of boys) knows there are "other reasons" for watching Jet Li films, silly.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #91 on: January 13, 2006, 06:38:25 PM

but no one can make Jet Li worth watching.

Any red-blooded girl (and 10% of boys) knows there are "other reasons" for watching Jet Li films, silly.

Oh, admit it. You've got the fever.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #92 on: January 13, 2006, 06:39:17 PM

Is VDL having some kind of withdraw or something? The hate is strong...

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #93 on: January 13, 2006, 06:54:29 PM

Jet Li is hawt. In that tiny Asian man sort of way.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Evil Elvis
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: January 13, 2006, 07:25:03 PM

Unleashed was the bomb.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #95 on: January 13, 2006, 08:46:59 PM

DRAMA!

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #96 on: January 13, 2006, 09:44:15 PM

To everyone who doesn't like Yimou Zhang films (Hero, Hidden Daggers, etc.): you're ignorant, you're an asshole, and you're wrong. You don't get Wu Xia and that's your fault, not his. Don't knock a centuries-old genre of storytelling (and filmmaking, for the last 85 years) just because your lazy western ass doesn't understand that these stories are ancient Chinese fairy tales.

Cinéma chinoise is a thing of beauty, and if you don't agree it's because you're wrong. Or just stupid.

Fairy tales can be told in 10 minutes, are told to children to get them to act right, and generally have a fucking point. Hero was 10 minutes of story wrapped inside an hour and a half of directorial masturbation, photographic lushness and the belief that looking pretty is more important than keeping the fucking audience awake.

Also, the opening battle sequence in Gladiator was good, and mildly historical. But frankly, the first episode of Rome got the historical tactics of the Roman legions "righter." After that opening battle sequence, Gladiator took a hard left turn into silly, inaccurate melodrama. It was entertaining, and I liked it, but I had to turn off my brain to do so.

I haven't watched Braveheart since I saw The Passion. Mel Gibson's brain needs a goddamn enema. But Braveheart is still a better movie than Gladiator, and just as historically inaccurate. If you ask me why, just on a whim I might say something like "the battle of Stirling involved a bridge."

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: January 14, 2006, 05:14:27 AM

Although not the same bridge it is in the same area (like within a few feet.)  Seriously, it would have been cool to have the battle on the bridge.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #98 on: January 14, 2006, 07:26:49 AM

That always got me...

The Scots won the damn battle SOLELY because of their use of the bridge as a chokepoint against the English. You take the bridge out, and it's not even the same battle.

That's like staging the Battle of Salamis (480 BC) in the open ocean. It's stupid.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #99 on: January 14, 2006, 08:12:59 AM

Propaganda at the end aside...  there were some pretty beautiful and impressive moments in Hero.  The leaf fight and library fight or exhibition, were very cool IMO.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #100 on: January 14, 2006, 08:22:15 AM

I don't want to pick sides between Schild and Lily here, but my opinion here falls more to Scild's side. Hero was an absolutely beautiful movie, and yes I do understand Wu Xia, it just felt really shallow. I think it was part Jet li, and part just the fact that it was essentially the same short story told three times in a row. Daggers had some pacing issues and such, but it was a totally engrossing movie for me.

Crouching Tiger on the other hand... Signe you baffle me here, as Crouching Tiger had to be one of the most accessable Wu Xia films made. It's a story about romance and resposibilty - pretty standard stuff with a little wire-fu mixed in. It's still high on my list of all time favorite movies.

As for Braveheart - I laughed at the ending. I'm talking bust a gut out loud howling at "FREEEEDOOOOMMMMM>>GLTRCH!". Most of the people around me at the time were probably a little offended. Oh well.

Damn do I hate working on Saturday.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: January 14, 2006, 09:10:09 AM

Damn do I hate working on Saturday.

At least we can all agree on that.

Hero seemed like a pretty forgettable movie the first time I watched it, the second time I saw it I thought it was the most brilliant and well shot movie ever.  I was very very stoned at the time so I think that may have something to do with it.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: January 14, 2006, 10:58:26 AM

Schild's class of choice is the Paladin.  His taste in character classes is only matched by his taste in films  cool

I quite liked Hero.  It was interesting from a cultural point of view - to get a sense of the propganda/spin the Chinese put on their own history and what some of their concerns are regarding national unity.

Jet Li not watchable?  If you want great acting see Anthony Hopkins/ Pacino / Hepbrun et al.  That is not Jet's value proposition:  he is genuinely athletic.

Since the innovative but widely copied matrix flim sequences for combat - these days Woody Allen could be a super action star.

Jet is one of the few action stars today that can live up to the billing (my up and comer in this category is that guy that Starred in the Transporter movies).

"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #103 on: January 14, 2006, 11:02:28 AM

Again, Hero WAS shot brilliantly. It was absolutely gorgeous, with only Crouching Tiger matching it for sheer lushness. Hero actually looked a little better.

But that's not enough for a movie. Crouching Tiger's story was MUCH denser, with characters you got to care about. Hero's characters weren't even solid enough to be called one-dimensional. They were one line descriptions of characters, whose motivations weren't even expressed by their actors. To me, even the fight scenes were boring, whereas the fights in Tiger were incredible.

And I had tears in my eyes when I saw the "FREEDOM!" yell at the end of Braveheart, in the theater. Yes, it was a manipulative as fuck cinematic moment, but it worked for me. It was about 100 times squared more effective than any moment in The Passion.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #104 on: January 14, 2006, 11:13:48 AM

I don't know... I just don't understand them.  My sister, however, loves them all... the weirder, the better.  I'm not saying I haven't enjoyed watching some of them... I have.  I just don't know what the hell is going on most of the time.  I enjoy the weirdness and wire-fu without having to understand much of the story.  I am very, very easily entertained.  It's mostly Asian film that muddles my mind, such as the ones mentioned in this thread.  I'm ok with other sorts of artsy fartsy indie type films and I'm very attracted to them.  I'm especially big on the German and Italian ones.

I'm much better with books.  My book comprehension-fu is very good.  I'm also good with other art forms, such as fine art and sculpture, especially conceptual.  That's why I never say mean things about Yoko Ono.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: movies that suck  
Jump to: