Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:10:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Impressions of Dungeons and Dragons Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Impressions of Dungeons and Dragons Online  (Read 41499 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

on: December 19, 2005, 08:33:21 AM

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005, 08:50:14 AM

Sounds a little like what NWN should have been.

Interesting.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: December 19, 2005, 09:20:07 AM

Hmm, catassers are going to unhappy.
No end game?  That didn't work out so well with CoH.

"Me am play gods"
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 09:27:56 AM

I'm still scared to say anything, but some quick words:

[EDIT] NDA

Not that scared then.

No, actually, I am. Forget what I said.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 09:37:19 AM by Stray »
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 09:31:07 AM

Not that scared then.

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #5 on: December 19, 2005, 09:33:16 AM

I wish they would've chosen Forgotten Realms as their first world instead of Stormreach. I don't know Stormreach, I don't care about Stormreach. Even Dragonlance I would've cared a bit more about.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6 on: December 19, 2005, 09:46:24 AM

Xil, I'm going to PM you a bug I found in the first stress test but forgot to submit.  I wasn't in the 2nd one more than a few hours and forgot to test it then and resubmit. ><

Umm other than that, no comment at this time since I'll wander off the  NDA page.   Oh.. except one thing. 

Damnit, use less brown. 32 Million colors and all I saw was 124 shades of brown!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 09:53:29 AM by Merusk »

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WayAbvPar

Reply #7 on: December 19, 2005, 10:09:14 AM

Less brown would be good for sure.

I have had fun the few times I have played it, but I worry about burnout. Ideally I would like to see some sort of pay per play pricing available- get all my friends together for a weekend of questing, then pick it up again in a month or 2. If we could pay $ or $5 to play for a weekend or something, it might be worth it to schedule a get together (just like PnP).

Combat is still too fast, but the recent slowing is a step in the right direction. Would still much rather see a turn-based strategic combat system ala ToEE (sans the crippling bugs, of course).

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 10:23:06 AM

This just further impresses upon me that I have to get this game to work.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #9 on: December 19, 2005, 11:23:42 AM

Xilren this is an excellent article if I do say so myself.  I will say that this is the first game that has encouraged me and that I've let myself use WASD for and it's nice to actually have to utilize some form of thought while playing.

If this game works, and it stays decent I do believe I'll become a Turbine_FanGirl01 type player.

Nice article, said again.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 11:25:35 AM by SuperPopTart »

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #10 on: December 19, 2005, 11:57:59 AM

I'm going to stick to my guns and say I would not pay $15/mo for this game.  This sounds like what NWN should have been, if DDO had the module creation tools that NWN did I would consider paying but the idea that devs will be able to keep up with the content that players tear through is just plain silly.  There are plenty of logical counter arguments to this position I know, but really I'm not going to cave to allowing subscriptions to seep into other genres/mediums.  Also no pvp = who cares for me, so its not like they are loosing a customer or anything.

*seriously that to was there in my head*
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 01:46:07 PM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #11 on: December 19, 2005, 12:08:52 PM

GAH!  NDA  angry  rolleyes
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #12 on: December 19, 2005, 12:10:05 PM

NDA

But I don't disagree with Hoax about paying $15 per month.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: December 19, 2005, 12:30:29 PM

I've been in the beta for about a month now but have yet to find time to even install the game or register for the boards.  Damn you life!!!

Friday will probably be a good day for me to check it out.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #14 on: December 19, 2005, 02:21:13 PM

I'll say a few things. If you are in the beta and have not tried it, you should. If for no other reason than to determine how engrained the MMOG Way to play games has become. You feel it in your very fingers when you start to play this game because it simply WILL NOT bend to that way of playing. Hardcore, catass MMOG'ers aren't going to get pissy about the "lack of content" because they'll have a conniption fit at the mechanics. It's subtle, but it's just that alien to them.

Also, I SUCK at this combat. I suck hard. It is quite possible to suck balls at this combat system, and I do. Copious amounts of balls. See above paragraph.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #15 on: December 19, 2005, 03:10:33 PM

Yeah takes a bit of a mindset shift to remember 'oh right, I should be blocking/ dodging beacause this guy will WTFPWN me in just a few hits.'

Also, lest my previous comment be seen as an implication that I hate the game, I don't.  I'd rather see a model like Way was pining for, which is the exact model D&D has always been based around.  Buy an 'adventure' and run through it with your friends (or online PUGs if you are so brave).

It's not a world, it's a game, and it IS D&D. (Which also will give the MMO Achievers shitfits because of the lack of uber item inflation.)

Strazos

Reply #16 on: December 19, 2005, 03:25:38 PM

Well good - fuck those catasses in the face.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Swede
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: December 19, 2005, 04:13:03 PM

Dunno whats covered by the NDA and what's not in regards to this - but I'll chime in my 2 cents..

It's fun to see a "fresh" pve skillbased system - but its also the biggest flaw - computers really dont have anything to put up versus real players if you wanna keep it fair....

Lax
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #18 on: December 19, 2005, 04:43:24 PM

Well, it sounds like the type of game I can get together with friends on a planned night and run some online quests in. I like that idea. Games like WoW are great, but you always end up with people getting left way behind on the curve. This sounds more like something I can make a point of only playing casually.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #19 on: December 19, 2005, 06:07:43 PM

I like new things. This sounds like it has some of what I like.

Good writeup so far, and I'll keep an eye on this now.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: December 19, 2005, 08:35:29 PM

Well, it sounds like the type of game I can get together with friends on a planned night and run some online quests in. I like that idea. Games like WoW are great, but you always end up with people getting left way behind on the curve. This sounds more like something I can make a point of only playing casually.

Yep.

I can only play games like Phantasy Star Online or Resident Evil Online. Anything more persitent and what happens? I log on after a week of absence to find all my friends are now 15 levels above me or will take 45 minutes of travel to even meet up with me. I really need a game where I can log in, run one mission, and log out.

So it sounds pretty good to me. The endgame? Roll a new class or unsubscribe. To me that's the endgame of every MMORPG anyway.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Strazos

Reply #21 on: December 19, 2005, 08:43:11 PM

From the sound of it, this might be worth getting at launch, especially if I can get people to play with.

Fear the Backstab!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #22 on: December 19, 2005, 09:22:45 PM

I wasn't really interested in DDO to begin with, just on the basis of it being yet another fantasy MMO.  I like what I'm hearing here though and I see they're offering some of the now typical extras with pre-order (10 day beta pass, +1 AC item, head start) so I'll probably be caving in.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #23 on: December 20, 2005, 01:51:40 AM

http://www.ddo.com is referring to f13 as one of their "fansites", no less than 3 times on one page.  :-D
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: December 20, 2005, 01:53:52 AM

Er....

Hang on, does that makes us fanbois ?

schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: December 20, 2005, 01:54:38 AM

http://www.ddo.com is referring to f13 as one of their "fansites", no less than 3 times on one page.  :-D

AND we're listed under those gold selling money grubbing cockknobbling AIDS SPREADING ogaming people. Oh, and Warcry. As in Joe's turf. As in Themis' turf. As in a PR group.

Yes, that page could have been more thought out.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 01:55:09 AM

http://www.ddo.com is referring to f13 as one of their "fansites", no less than 3 times on one page.  :-D

Pretty pointless of me to say anything after this point then, NDA or not. I wanted to burn ideas into everyone's minds before they played....But now that they gone and decided for themselves, my knowledge is right back to where it started: Useless. Wtf.
schild
Administrator

Reply #27 on: December 20, 2005, 02:00:56 AM

I'm a wee bit pissy.

Edit: Motherfuck! Does that actually say "Character customization in DDO is fun. My human female came complete with 30 different hairstyle choices?" Someone tell me I'm on drugs. Please. Someone. Anyone. Oh well, at least our sentence was the longest. Or something. Sigh.
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #28 on: December 20, 2005, 02:51:02 AM

DDO NDA is meant to go soon.  Glad about that, I wouldn't want anyone to think that the NDA is still in place purely to ensure only positive "Turbine approved" reviews make it into the public domain. 

That sure would be clever marketing though, I mean if anyone ever decided to do that.
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: December 20, 2005, 06:08:40 AM

Can anyone talk about how (or even if) an alignment system was implemented?  I was really hoping for the robust D&D alignment system, but someone indicated that it had been dumbed down to the old Lawful-Neutral-Chaotic scheme. 

I second the opinion that without large common areas, crafting, an economy, or pvp, its hard to imagine paying a monthly fee for this.  What exactly do you get for the fee?  Unless the actual implementation of combat and / or the dungeon / quests are a generation ahead of all other offerings, I don't see the draw. 

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: December 20, 2005, 06:17:17 AM

For my monthly fee, I expect Fun.

From the article, I expect I shall have it.

So, where do I preorder the game from, and what server you guys going to be on? :D

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #31 on: December 20, 2005, 06:49:45 AM

Ha! Good luck getting everyone on one server. *Dreads this*

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: December 20, 2005, 07:07:40 AM

Ha! Good luck getting everyone on one server. *Dreads this*

Are the servers set up like a 'traditional' MMOG, ie: DAoC, WoW, CoH static servers?  Or more like PSO, GW universal lobbies to get groups together to do the instances?

Over and out.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: December 20, 2005, 07:10:57 AM

D&D seems like an odd choice for a twitch-based game.  I mean, D&D itself was the epitome of "numbers vs numbers" combat.  I could see the combat system you describes as being fun, but I can't really see it feeling like D&D.

I haven't played D&D since 1.0, maybe the very beginning of 2.0.  But I read up on the 3.0-3.5 rules for NWN (and because I am a GIANT NERD).  The character building in modern D&D speaks loudly to the min-maxing-rules-lawyer-munchkin-whore deep in my soul.  Some of the threads I have seen about character builds are obscene (as in, resulting in extremely powerful characters that are also very un-intuitive).  Which leads me to this question: is there some way to re-spec in this game?  It seems very easy to gimp yourself, even by making ostensibly sensible choices.  And when the time comes to add high-level dungeons, you know deep down that Turbine will balance them around mim-maxers with +20 to hit rather than Joe Sixpack with +10.

I take it Clerics are still obscenely overpowered?

Are the social skills important?

When you say there are no tools for an economy, do you mean there is nothing like an auction house/bazaar, or do you mean that most gear is bind-on-pickup?

How does the loot feel?  Monty Haul-ish?

I echo the above re: FR, but I'd rather see Greyhawk.  Is there a good link somewhere for background on Eberron?  You can play a golem?  Hrmmm.

I am also dubious about paying a monthly fee for a Diablo/GuildWars-type game.  Especially with NWN2 supposedly coming out soon (anyone have any info on that?).

Then again, I know that I will buy and play this game for at least a while, because I do that with almost all of em :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 08:38:30 AM by El Gallo »

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #34 on: December 20, 2005, 08:32:27 AM

I don't think it's going to have "servers" as such. It'll be more like GW/CoH where the common areas all have multiple instances depending on how many people are online, and you can quickly switch to another instance of the common area like you do in GW, by a pulldown menu.

I don't think there is any gear that is bind on pickup or any of that stupid shit. But I don't know, I haven't really gotten any good gear. I know the starter gear can't be sold to vendors.

No respecs that I know of, but I haven't gotten very high. You pick your alignment, not sure what effect it has. See the "not gotten very high" comment.

Some of the articles that are linked from the same page we are on sound like they were written by gay pre-pubescent monkeys given typewriters and mice. I'm even more proud of Xilren's article now; he was able to make good coherent sentences that didn't sound like Hello Kitty lovegrams, and he actually talked about the game outside the tutorial.

I'm glad for the linkage and all, but we don't belong on a page called "Fansites" and we sure as fuck don't belong in the same page as people who talk about swinging at the air and magic missle at the darkness. Call me a snob, but there's some shitty writing on that page.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: Impressions of Dungeons and Dragons Online  
Jump to: