Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:17:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '04  |  Topic: E3 Day One 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: E3 Day One  (Read 15422 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

on: May 13, 2004, 08:45:32 AM

Didn't get a chance to cross-link this last night, and compressed time prevents me from reformatting for BBcode goodness here. It's also wholly inadequate, since the stupid ass hotel I'm at has all of one stinkin' computer for folks to use, and it has a 15 minute time limit.

Anyway, it's mostly about the SWG Space Expansion I played. Yes, played. And damn if it ain't awesome! I'm a believer again, or will be late late this year.

E3 Day One

Thunderheart gave the demo and Q-3PO was on hand to answer questions. This wasn't in the SOE booth either. It was in the Games for Windows booth behind it, which just happened to have a healthy smattering of just about every game I really care about. I'm living there tomorrow.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: May 13, 2004, 06:49:35 PM

First, the rumours and previews are straight on: this is X-Wing versus Tie Fighter. It is a space sim complete with rotating energy balancing between weapons, shields and speed. It supports a joystick (it was demoed with a Thrustmaster). It does have asteroid fields. It does (finally) have collision detection. It has capital ships in the middle of pitched battles.

Dammit, don't tell me that! Now I'm interested!

Auto Assault is using the Havoc physics engine, allowing players to fully interact with the game world. Buildings can be destroyed, trees downed and so on. However, Hermann Peterscheck, programmer at NetDevil, explained that much of this interactivity is on the client side. For example, if a house is destroyed and the roof lands on the ground in such a way as it can be used as a ramp, other players don't know that.

UH OH. Not good. Not workable. WW2OL had horrible problems with that in it's first month or three, and it makes PVP stupid. Not a good design call.

Edit update- Ok, it's an unbelivable stupid design rule. Player 1 blows up building, sees player 2 who is hiding behind what he thinks is solid wall. Player 1 shoots player 2 while player 2 says WTF?!?

or Player 1 creates ramp and jumps over player 2, who sees no ramp and just sees a flying car with no reason why i's flying. Not to mention what happens if he tries to follow.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #2 on: May 13, 2004, 07:29:56 PM

Infinium Labs Phantom Console is no longer vaporware.

I almost fell out of my chair. This I shall have to see for my self.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2004, 07:32:16 PM

I never thought of the Phantom as vaporware. I mean - it's just a fucking computer with an end-user service about as complicated as AOL 1.0. The difference is - does ANYONE at that company have any idea what they are doing or how stupid the fucking business plan is?

This thing may be worth buying if they use a straight up 5700fx ultra in it. Tear the fucker apart for parts.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: May 13, 2004, 08:01:28 PM

Hmmm..the space expansion sounds interesting on paper. i wonder though, will I have to destroy 99 tie drones to advance one bar in my alliance pilot career?

I don't know. SWG was so painful to play I just don't have faith in this expansion. I hope. I pray. X-wing vs Tie fighter? God it sounds great. But so did SWG.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2004, 06:24:11 PM

Day 2 and Day 3 are both up. Closing to follow.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2004, 10:22:15 PM

Sucks to be you. You had to wait for them to let exhibits only/media in :P Exhibitor baby!

I was the guy who liked like he was 12 with a green backpack ;)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: May 17, 2004, 10:21:35 AM

Nah, sucks nothing. I simply didn't care :) SWG Space Expansion and EQ2 are all SOE had that mattered to me, and since I already assumed the booth was invite-only, I just wrote it off.

To be honest, I was put out by it last year when the competitive landscape looked very different. Now SOE's relevance is less. It's not just because of NC Soft either. It's simply because there are so many games, and so many players that haven't played all of them. The pre-eminence of any one company is far less than when it was only OSI, Turbine and Verant.

This, in turn, means more heroes and developer demigods that don't have the ties the old ones do. I certainly will find it interesting to see just how many new MMOGers understand why Tabula Rasa should be compelling to them. It's kinda like artists that redo songs for an audience that doesn't know they're redo's, nor knows who the heck their elder is talking about when the originator of that song is revealed.

In any case, I finally posted the closing I wrote on the flight home. And looking back, I realize I could have done this a lot friggin' better. But since I don't want to revise history, I'll just post links :)

Daily Blogs

E3 Day 1
E3 Day 2
E3 Day 3
E3 Roundup

By Game

[*]Auto Assault
    [*]City of Villains
    [*]Dark Age of Camelot: Catacombs
    [*]Everquest 2
    [*]Everquest Addendum
    [*]Guild Wars
    [*]Half-Life 2
    [*]Matrix Online
    [*]Myst
    [*]NC Soft
    [*]Ryzom
    [*]SWG: Space Expansion
    [*]SWG: Space Expansion Addendum
    [*]Warhammer Dawn of War
    [*]World of Warcraft
    [*]World of Warcraft Addendum[/list:u]
    Sky
    Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8 on: May 17, 2004, 03:59:24 PM

This, in turn, means more heroes and developer demigods that don't have the ties the old ones do

Whenever anyone talks about 'gaming gods', I always get an image of stevie fucking case in my head. Whoever greenlighted that trollop as a gaming god(dess) should have been ritually stabbed by Hammy MacStabby.
    Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
    f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Gaming Conferences and Conventions  |  E3 '04  |  Topic: E3 Day One  
    Jump to: