Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173043 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14070 on: June 22, 2020, 09:16:54 AM

Re: Eveybody's Gone to the Rapture and Tacoma, is there really much to these games apart from the walking? Would playing it be any different to watching a Let's Play / longplay? One of the biggest reasons why I enjoyed Firewatch was that it wasn't just a walking simulator.

Rapture is more walking and finding story than anything else. What I really appreciated with Rapture is the soundtrack and how they wove it into the game. I don’t listen to game soundtracks often, but Rapture and Nier are the two I throw on occasionally.

Tacoma I didn’t finish, something about it bothered me. It’s not just walking, there’s a hook involved with tracking down conversations and “manipulating” them to discern the events. Maybe I’ll reload it and try again.

Gone Home is maybe my favorite out of this bunch of games, very atmospheric. But it’s mostly walking mystery game.

Finally, Return of the Obra Dinn is somewhat like Tacoma if it grabs you. It’s about moving around a visual puzzle to determine what happened in a past event. The visual style of the game is hard for the first hour, then I never really noticed it.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14071 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:18 PM

So I'm playing an obscure game called X-Com 2 some of you may have heard of it, not too shabby.

Pretty hardcore, but in a way that makes for interesting stories. Character creator meaning my Alpha Team is the literal A-Team? Or how about my Beta Team of WWF stars (I'm old, shut up panda).
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14072 on: June 23, 2020, 12:47:15 PM

Re: Eveybody's Gone to the Rapture and Tacoma, is there really much to these games apart from the walking? Would playing it be any different to watching a Let's Play / longplay? One of the biggest reasons why I enjoyed Firewatch was that it wasn't just a walking simulator.

Rapture is more walking and finding story than anything else. What I really appreciated with Rapture is the soundtrack and how they wove it into the game. I don’t listen to game soundtracks often, but Rapture and Nier are the two I throw on occasionally.

Tacoma I didn’t finish, something about it bothered me. It’s not just walking, there’s a hook involved with tracking down conversations and “manipulating” them to discern the events. Maybe I’ll reload it and try again.

Gone Home is maybe my favorite out of this bunch of games, very atmospheric. But it’s mostly walking mystery game.

Finally, Return of the Obra Dinn is somewhat like Tacoma if it grabs you. It’s about moving around a visual puzzle to determine what happened in a past event. The visual style of the game is hard for the first hour, then I never really noticed it.

Thanks, I think I might try and get Ratpture and Tacoma when they're really cheap or watch a Let's Play and see if they interest me.

I love puzzle games so I'm definitely picking up Return of the Obra Dinn soon. I have this weird thing where I try to only pick up games after they're a couple years old.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14073 on: June 23, 2020, 01:51:20 PM

In the meantime, news at 11, humans are a joke.

So, I haven't finished the first one. Need to get around to doing that. Are these low user scores because of Ellie's sexuality? *makes mental note to restart the game and finally finish the damn thing.*

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14074 on: June 23, 2020, 03:40:18 PM

So, I haven't finished the first one. Need to get around to doing that. Are these low user scores because of Ellie's sexuality? *makes mental note to restart the game and finally finish the damn thing.*
That's part of the reason, especially when the game first came out and all of the people giving it 0 scores couldn't have finished the game. Now though many if not most of the low scores revolve around the story, character development (or lack thereof), ending. etc.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #14075 on: June 23, 2020, 04:19:48 PM

Imo, The Last of US 2 is fairly deserving of a shit rating (once you remove the bullshit 0s and such for obvious BS). The story, in my opinion, was horrendous and the story is the reason to play a game like that; the actual gameplay is often 'meh' at best. The first one was a great story with, well, 'meh' gameplay. The second is a shit story with 'meh' gameplay. If I had to rate it.. I'd probably give it a 4 or a 5. However, since the issue is story there are going to be some serious divides on opinion. Some will love it. I wasn't one of them, in large part because they told the story in a way that was pretty amateurish in both content and structure.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14076 on: June 23, 2020, 05:44:08 PM

So in the meantime, I started Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I am kind of down for the realism, which includes me sucking at anything and everything to start. Only the control scheme makes it worse. I shouldn't be struggling to beat the shit out of a dude who is withholding a shovel from me that I want to bury my dead parents with.

Plus I really hate fake open-world, e.g., something that says "oh my god you aren't going to be such a stupid cunt that you wander right into a bandit are you" but that says "oh golly everywhere that would keep you from running into a bandit happens to have burned beams in front of it, odd innit?"

But ok, fine. It's realistic medieval where rising from a blacksmith's son to "moderately competent bandit with leprosy" is a major achievement. I'll keep at it for a bit at least.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14077 on: June 23, 2020, 07:49:10 PM

I couldn't get into Kingdom Come. Played it on GamePass and something about it just didn't click. I think it may be that very realism you speak of. If I wanted to play someone incompetent at combat in a drab and dreary world, I'd just walk outside with a fireplace poker or something.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #14078 on: June 23, 2020, 08:38:55 PM

I couldn't get into Kingdom Come. Played it on GamePass and something about it just didn't click. I think it may be that very realism you speak of. If I wanted to play someone incompetent at combat in a drab and dreary world, I'd just walk outside with a fireplace poker or something.

I had the same problem with Kingdom Come and Kenshi for that matter.  

On an unrelated subject, Detroit: Become Human has to be the very best story I have played through since Mass Effect 2, I highly recommend this title, worth every dime I paid for it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 08:52:37 PM by MournelitheCalix »

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14079 on: June 24, 2020, 05:30:42 AM

+1 for not being able to get into Kingdom Come, and I've loved the Gothic/Risen/Elex stuff. When something is too janky for me, wheeee-ew.

X-Com 2 is one of those damned 'just one more turn' games dammit. Yawning at work now. I need to expand my character pool a bit, but drew Ororo and Cyclops in my first draft. They started strong, but almost losing Scott freaked Ororo out (she's now shaken) and the tag team of Mr. T and George Washington laid down the freedom hammer.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14080 on: June 24, 2020, 05:50:00 AM

I've been picking up a few games lately and flitting between them like a goddamn butterfly in between bouts of Football Manager 2020. Disco Elysium's writing is incredible but I have to make myself play because if I start, I can't put less than an hour into it. Dead by Daylight turns out to be a fun little game that my wife and I can play together (she is absolutely obsessed with DBD - she has the icon tattooed on her arm). American Truck Simulator is just a fun little distraction. Field of Glory II is something I want to devote a little more time to as it sort of scratches my miniature wargaming itch, but it's another one I need time to play.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14081 on: June 24, 2020, 10:42:30 AM

+1 more hour of Last of Us 2.  Still haven’t found anything to complain about.  It can get pretty intense, so I think doses of an hour or two are good.  Something needs to be said about the audio processing for this game.  I have a pretty powerful system (currently setup in 5.1), and the dynamic sound programming is like nothing I have ever experienced before in any game or movie.  I have it set fairly loud in general, but that is mostly just simple dialogue and minor sound effects.  But then when gunshots or explosion happens....it is absurd.  Scares the fuck out of me, as loud as a real gunshot.  I wonder what my neighbors think.  An extremely convincing effect, and if you are not playing it with a good system, you are certainly missing out on an important part of the experience.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14082 on: June 24, 2020, 10:45:51 AM

And what about the breathing? Yours and other people? Exceptional. Oh and on a slightly different note, don't you love how all the NPCs you kill have a different name and they call each other by name (especially when they find the corpses you leave around).

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14083 on: June 24, 2020, 11:14:52 AM

I've been using headphones a lot more for console gaming, for stuff like Resident Evil 2 it's intense and for stuff like Days Gone it really helps the positional awareness, since my speaker setup is less than ideal for good positioning right now.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14084 on: June 24, 2020, 11:31:02 AM

There was a certain part in the game where an unexpected explosion suddenly happened, and I reacted so strongly that I folded in half.  Brilliant.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14085 on: June 25, 2020, 02:43:37 PM

So Kingdom Come kind of lost me when I say to the miller's daughter "No, how did you survive" and suddenly I'm playing the miller's daughter with no opportunity to bugger out of it and I have a quest to feed the chickens, feed the dog, and pick weeds. Ok! I say: I will cooperate in this very clumsy lesson about history, because I give clumsy lessons about history, so it's appropriate punishment for me.

But some hours later of helping my vaguely slutty barmaid friend pick an herb in the woods while I fight off an angry terrier and deal with my friend who wants me to steal something from her boyfriend so that maybe her boyfriend will invite her to a heavy petting session during the next village ritual, and have moved on to a quest where I have to help my father conceal evidence of a crime so he and my shifty but hard-working brother have committed hence I have to sneak into the medieval silver mines and find stolen silver in a mine shaft and the miners savagely beat me to death (or vice-versa) if they spot me (rather than as they would, realistically, drag me out of the mine and get my father and brother thrown into jail), all in a game engine that has all the flexibility and responsiveness of a patient in an iron lung, I think I pretty much checked out for good. At this rate, I might get back to Henry, blacksmith's son, and begin his adventures in getting savagely beaten to death by a syphilitic eighty-year old monk just outside of town in five or six hours of having a plucky miller's daughter beaten to death in a silver mine. I think I have slightly better covid-19-era game backlogs to invest in.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #14086 on: June 25, 2020, 04:11:16 PM

Ok, but is it fun?  why so serious?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14087 on: June 25, 2020, 10:34:00 PM

So Kingdom Come kind of lost me when I say to the miller's daughter "No, how did you survive" and suddenly I'm playing the miller's daughter with no opportunity to bugger out of it and I have a quest to feed the chickens, feed the dog, and pick weeds. Ok! I say: I will cooperate in this very clumsy lesson about history, because I give clumsy lessons about history, so it's appropriate punishment for me.

But some hours later of helping my vaguely slutty barmaid friend pick an herb in the woods while I fight off an angry terrier and deal with my friend who wants me to steal something from her boyfriend so that maybe her boyfriend will invite her to a heavy petting session during the next village ritual, and have moved on to a quest where I have to help my father conceal evidence of a crime so he and my shifty but hard-working brother have committed hence I have to sneak into the medieval silver mines and find stolen silver in a mine shaft and the miners savagely beat me to death (or vice-versa) if they spot me (rather than as they would, realistically, drag me out of the mine and get my father and brother thrown into jail), all in a game engine that has all the flexibility and responsiveness of a patient in an iron lung, I think I pretty much checked out for good. At this rate, I might get back to Henry, blacksmith's son, and begin his adventures in getting savagely beaten to death by a syphilitic eighty-year old monk just outside of town in five or six hours of having a plucky miller's daughter beaten to death in a silver mine. I think I have slightly better covid-19-era game backlogs to invest in.

Seriously man, most of the words here sound like a rousing endorsement of the game.

Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #14088 on: June 26, 2020, 03:03:30 AM

I had fun with it.  It really is fully open world once you get past the intro (it's just a very long intro, heh).  I did some of the initial main quest stuff, then I just picked a direction and headed off to random towns.  Skilled myself up pretty good as a bandit hunting woods man, stalking the forest hunting beasts and men.  Got to the point of being pretty powerful, with very little of the main quest done, and just sort of stopped playing.  Which is how almost every single big open world game ends for me. So I guess mission accomplished?  Got 40 hours of play out of it according to steam.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14089 on: June 26, 2020, 05:08:52 AM

Eh, maybe I'll try to get past this intro to that kind of gameplay. That's what I signed on for. It's just very plodding and not terribly well-designed.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14090 on: June 26, 2020, 06:21:26 AM

\My only positive memory of the game (without having made it as far as Khaldun) is that the German voice work was far superior to the English and was pretty interesting to play. But not interesting enough to overcome the clunk. Teleku's experience also appeals to me, though.

The upside of not being 'into' any games right now is more time to play bass in Rocksmith.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14091 on: June 29, 2020, 04:46:08 AM

I just finished The Last of Us 2 and I believe the game is a solid 90% score.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14092 on: June 29, 2020, 02:26:57 PM

Ok, so I went in further on Kingdom Come and yeah, it's more fun. The combat is still CRAZY janky, like anybody who wants to complain about Witcher 3, I fucking sentence you to play this like Alex in A Clockwork Orange watching videos in his retraining and then tell me more about what's janky. But yes, ok, it's much more fun once you're free some to do shit. I got taken in a bit by the idea that I needed to keep chasing the bandits or the tough-guy knight would hate me only to find that if I plowed straight into that quest without levelling I got my ass handed to me repeatedly. There are no rails in this one past a certain point, it will let you cheese a quest and then find you are completely content-blocked because of it. But it's not half bad if you go far enough. Not half-good either, but enough to keep me on the hook longer.
Tairnyn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14093 on: June 29, 2020, 07:52:24 PM

Satisfactory was released on Steam, so I eagerly latched on. It fills the Minecraft/Factorio hole in my soul, with a beautiful world that rewards exploring, challenging combat to establish territory, and a nice interface. Still in Early Access, but I'm just hitting "mid game" after 20+ hours of play with no crashes or issues to speak of. It's built around automation, with sprawling power grids and conveyor belts to feed increasingly complex manufacturing requirements and new resources. The daunting complexity of a new tier usually makes me take a break, but I inevitably subconsciously ponder my next move and come back for more.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14094 on: July 01, 2020, 09:41:31 AM

Had a good time killing bad guys in Kingdom Come when I found a perch where I could shoot them with arrows and they couldn't find me or figure an angle to shoot me back. Took a while because my character sucks at archery, but you can't have everything.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14095 on: July 02, 2020, 07:18:18 AM

Had a free Xbox Game Pass subscription and used it to save me some money and try Two Point Hospital and Frostpunk. It ended up being a similar experience to when I was playing Civ VI recently, the games were enjoyable but I found the process of expanding and building getting tedious quickly. Could just be I'm not suited for sim/strategy games anymore.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #14096 on: July 02, 2020, 08:15:45 AM

I'm currently playing ignorant newbie in ESO, wandering around aimlessly doing quests, watching youtube videos and having fun. I bought a one month subscription. I'll decide whether to renew when it's over. It was worth buying the game at the Steam sale price.
grebo
Terracotta Army

Reply #14097 on: July 02, 2020, 10:35:32 AM

I'm currently playing ignorant newbie in ESO, wandering around aimlessly doing quests, watching youtube videos and having fun. I bought a one month subscription. I'll decide whether to renew when it's over. It was worth buying the game at the Steam sale price.

ESO really shines in the play-with-others bracket, since everything is so accessible and they have all the content types covered.
Really, the only thing the subscription gives you is craft bag and all the DLC (and some crowns).  Early on there's so much content you don't need to do DLC stuff, and I do all the craft trees without subscription so if you set up some add-ons to help with the inventory management, subscription is unnecessary IMO.

Why don't you try our other games?
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14098 on: July 02, 2020, 10:57:00 AM

Still playing around with LoU2, still short of 10 hours.

Meanwhile about to hit around 50 hours on Trails of Azure.  Just entered the last act, which probably means another 5 hours or so.  Man, I love this game.  And the whole series.

Got Cold Steel 3 ready to go immediately after.  The epic story they made here, jesus.  More than 400 hours so far, I would say.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #14099 on: July 02, 2020, 04:08:16 PM

Got Cold Steel 3 ready to go immediately after.  The epic story they made here, jesus.  More than 400 hours so far, I would say.

Try to stretch that out until Cold Steel 4's release. 3->4 is even more of a cliff hanger than 1->2
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14100 on: July 03, 2020, 01:08:23 AM

Try to stretch that out until Cold Steel 4's release. 3->4 is even more of a cliff hanger than 1->2

There is basically no way I will be able to wait, so I will just have to be left hanging.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #14101 on: July 03, 2020, 02:37:11 AM

There is basically no way I will be able to wait, so I will just have to be left hanging.

Yeah, I know the feeling. At least we've only got to wait until October for the playstation release.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14102 on: July 06, 2020, 09:06:00 AM

Poop, I doubt I will play the PS version.  I want the PC version, dammit.

Also, 10 hours later and I am STILL in the epilogue of Azure.  And there has to be a couple hours left.  Most games, the epilogue is 10 minutes, lol.

Goldenmean
Terracotta Army

Reply #14103 on: July 06, 2020, 10:35:34 AM

Poop, I doubt I will play the PS version.  I want the PC version, dammit.

Also, 10 hours later and I am STILL in the epilogue of Azure.  And there has to be a couple hours left.  Most games, the epilogue is 10 minutes, lol.

Yeah, I've been PC versions up to this point, but considering the PC version of that is still just "2021", and I have no interest in waiting any longer, I'm jumping to Playstation. I'm going back and forth with myself if I want to replay all of 3 on the Playstation just so I can transfer save data in. It really doesn't end up making that much difference, but... still.

What are you counting as the epilogue for Ao/Azure? I don't think of Ao no Kiseki having much of an epilogue. Pretty big final dungeon, but not much of an epilogue after it. Cold Steel 2 was the one that really stands out to me as having a ridiculous epilogue. You've got your obligatory super-epic JRPG "final" dungeon. Then they stick you with another randomly generated less plotty final dungeon just for funsies. Then they time skip you and switch you to Zero/Ao no Kiseki characters, which must have been especially confusing for people who played CS2 before Zero/Ao.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14104 on: July 06, 2020, 10:49:56 AM

Everything after chapter 4 is literally called the “epilogue”.  But yeah, it is not the right label, it really is just chapter 5 or the finale.  I am used to it by now, but it still makes me chuckle.

Pages: 1 ... 401 402 [403] 404 405 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: