Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:16:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173387 times)
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14035 on: June 12, 2020, 10:50:35 AM

I just finished the Outer Wilds thanks to Gamepass. I highly recommend it. Note, this isn't the Outer Worlds which I also enjoyed. Outer Wilds is a game that is very hard to describe. It's a space game that is a combination puzzle solver and mystery. No action. No gun play. Pure exploration and problem solving. And the ending is...well, I won't say just in case any of you try it.
I just grabbed it on PS4 and I'm into it. Nice change of pace!

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #14036 on: June 12, 2020, 09:39:56 PM

Being bad at platformers...yeah it's like a second home. Though I skipped over to checking out ember twin as a break from esoteric travel and now have that other thing to deal with :D Really digging how they've composed this game, it can feel like the pacing of a frantic Void Bastards run but then also the most super chill 'watch the sun rise' moments.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14037 on: June 17, 2020, 05:36:22 AM

Hit a minor snag with a timed objective in Outer Wilds. Not enough to kill my love of the game, but I had to take a break to avoid getting frustrated.

Really awesome game, though! Refreshing to play something that doesn't hold your hand and rewards exploration and thought.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #14038 on: June 17, 2020, 08:24:33 PM

I was a few hours into Persona 4 Golden and roughly following a walkthrough when I didn't rank up a social link that I was supposed to.  No problem, I'll see if I can tweak the save data just a bit so I'm back on track.  Well, I succeeded at tweaking the data, but now the game doesn't recognize that there is a save at all.  Welp!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #14039 on: June 18, 2020, 01:43:48 PM

Let's talk about The Last of Us 2!

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #14040 on: June 18, 2020, 01:46:55 PM

I'm about ~80% of the way through Persona 4 (non-golden).  Still loving the non-dungeon parts of the game but I'm getting bored of the combat.  Too grindy, dungeons are too long with too much back-tracking for quests.  I think when I move on to P3 FES I'm just going to set it to easy so I can get through them quicker.

I'm about an hour into Outer Wilds and so far it seems like not the game for me.  I flew around to a few planets, died a few times for... reasons?  I haven't read any of the spoiler comments but maybe if I decide to give up on the game I'll read them and see if it makes me want to keep going.  So far it's not grabbing me though.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14041 on: June 18, 2020, 02:38:56 PM

Deciding whether I want to take over the TV for Last of Us and Last of Us 2, because I never played the first.

Just about ending a run of Conan Exiles play, I think. It's been fun to see the post-Early Access improvements and additional content but my young adult relatives are not all that into it (too hard to build stuff compared to Minecraft) plus I equipped a dancer with the costume of the Derketo cult and thought "I really cannot have my nephew or my daughter walking through this base and seeing that" whereupon I put the dancer in chainmail armor instead. They patched it this week so it was less "send your meatshield thrall to solo a boss while you hit him with healing arrows every ten minutes" but that's still kind of the way it is for the endgame shit they added more recently. Plus Tencent just bought a big share of Funcom so that's probably going to be unfun soon enough.

I liked the sound of Old World so I got that and it basically feels like a Civ IV reskin with a bad Crusader Kings 2 mod added. Think I'll wait for Crusader Kings 3 to really put time into.

I might try Kingdom Come this weekend. Skeptical.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #14042 on: June 18, 2020, 05:22:44 PM

I'm going to wait for the The Last of Us 2 to go on sale on the PS5. I really don't like the kind of grimdark ultra-violent game it sounds like this is. I will get it eventually and then probably just play through the first part before it gets really grim and depressing.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #14043 on: June 18, 2020, 05:27:27 PM

I'm kind of not in the mood for soul crushing, Cormac McCarthy-esque story telling at the moment. Maybe later. I did like the first Last of Us, but like Trippy, I might just wait until I have a PS5. I have a feeling this game would make my PS4 Pro sound like a jet engine again.

New PoE league tomorrow. Yay (maybe).

-Rasix
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #14044 on: June 18, 2020, 11:57:37 PM

Hit a minor snag with a timed objective in Outer Wilds. Not enough to kill my love of the game, but I had to take a break to avoid getting frustrated.

Really awesome game, though! Refreshing to play something that doesn't hold your hand and rewards exploration and thought.

Ok, about what you mentioned. If you can't do it, don't sweat it. You learn one thing that is kind of neat for exploring but if you can't do it it shouldn't impact your ability to finish the game. More specific spoiler:

There is one bit later that damn near made me quit the game when I was close to finishing it. I'll give you a vague hint about it to save you frustration. You'll probably know the moment I mean when you get to it.

Specifics about how to get past what I mentioned:

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 12:01:45 AM by Riggswolfe »

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14045 on: June 19, 2020, 12:46:59 AM

I'm kind of not in the mood for soul crushing, Cormac McCarthy-esque story telling at the moment. Maybe later. I did like the first Last of Us, but like Trippy, I might just wait until I have a PS5. I have a feeling this game would make my PS4 Pro sound like a jet engine again.

I kinda want to hear from someone playing it on a non-Pro.  I have basically avoided that last few big PS4 games because I am in this limbo space where I don't want to fail to get the whole experience using a vanilla PS4, while also not wanting to upgrade to a Pro when the PS5 is already around the corner.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14046 on: June 19, 2020, 01:18:06 AM

I am playing it on a non-pro and I can't even imagine what the pro would do for it as this game is unbelievably gorgeous and my PS4 slim is barely making a sound. It was loud at first, with the disc spinning and all, but for the most part of the game it's not doing anything I can barely tell it's on. It's exactly to avoid extra noises that I usually buy digital editions, and I am kicking myself for getting the disc version this time but -at least on the Slim- there is not jet-engine syndrome.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14047 on: June 19, 2020, 01:44:06 AM

You're like Johnny on the Spot sometimes.  That's good to hear.  I can get a disc version for something like 20+ dollars cheaper than the digital version from the PS store, which is of course crazypants.  Sounds like I may have to do that.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #14048 on: June 19, 2020, 07:01:57 AM

I am in this limbo space where I don't want to fail to get the whole experience using a vanilla PS4, while also not wanting to upgrade to a Pro when the PS5 is already around the corner.
I feel like I'm in the opposite Limbo, where I'd like to get a PS5 but I just bought a pro when Spider-Man dropped. The wait is long enough for the PS5 Pro or whatever that I'll take the upgrade, but it's a tough one. Do PS Store purchases for PS4 carry over to PS5? I'm still new to consoles  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'm about an hour into Outer Wilds and so far it seems like not the game for me.  I flew around to a few planets, died a few times for... reasons?  I haven't read any of the spoiler comments but maybe if I decide to give up on the game I'll read them and see if it makes me want to keep going.  So far it's not grabbing me though.
Explore the first planet, it gives you clues on where to go next. It's a mystery to track, not an open sandbox to explore. You can play it that way, but it doesn't make any sense because at best you'd get the clues unlocked in the wrong order and not understand what you're reading.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14049 on: June 19, 2020, 07:23:17 AM

You're like Johnny on the Spot sometimes.  That's good to hear.  I can get a disc version for something like 20+ dollars cheaper than the digital version from the PS store, which is of course crazypants.  Sounds like I may have to do that.

That's why I got the disc myself, because it was stupidly cheaper. And don't get me wrong of course I love the boxes. But I don't love all the mecahnical whirring and the extra heat coming from the blu-ray reader in my PS4.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14050 on: June 19, 2020, 08:43:27 AM

Since it was 7 years ago and my memory is shit, and I didn't feel like replaying the old game, I found this Youtube link with the whole first game in movie form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkLPKd-Vs8g

It's 6 hours of just the cutscenes and the very little gameplay that connect them all. It is worth it if you want to refresh your memory or haven't played it but are curious about TLoU2, this is and was a beautiful grim zombie TV show.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #14051 on: June 19, 2020, 11:24:32 AM

Explore the first planet, it gives you clues on where to go next. It's a mystery to track, not an open sandbox to explore. You can play it that way, but it doesn't make any sense because at best you'd get the clues unlocked in the wrong order and not understand what you're reading.

I'm kinda getting into it now.  I'm not sure if I went to the right places or not but I'm putting some things together at least.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 01:00:42 PM by Druzil »
Ruvaldt
Terracotta Army

Goat Variations

Reply #14052 on: June 19, 2020, 11:48:04 AM

Do PS Store purchases for PS4 carry over to PS5? I'm still new to consoles  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Considering the PS5 is backwards compatible with nearly everything on the PS4, yes, as long as you use the same PSN login.

"For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can." - Ernest Hemingway
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14053 on: June 20, 2020, 07:11:04 AM

Picked up LoU2.  Seems to run just fine on the vanilla machine.  Really astounding what that machine can pull off.

Oh, and I didn’t even make it to the title splash screen before the fucking game had me shed a couple tears.  This bodes well!

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14054 on: June 20, 2020, 08:35:55 AM

In the meantime, news at 11, humans are a joke.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14055 on: June 20, 2020, 08:51:32 AM

I am not even going to read the comments, but after the intro bits I can only imagine what the bigoted incel crowd have to say about the game.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14056 on: June 20, 2020, 11:05:49 AM

Anyway....the original Last of Us was, in my opinion, a masterpiece.  I genuinely loved it, and Ellie And Joel are some of my favorite characters of all time.

Number 2 clearly is a masterpiece as well.  Plus the actual gamelplay parts feel sufficiently modernized.  I also am astounded by how good it looks.  Anyway, it is utterly riveting from the first minute.  Four hours later I have to put it down, but man oh man.

It is a complete travesty that the incels are going to try to drag this thing through the usual bullshit.  

After some thought, I would recommend that anyone thinking of playing this but have not played the first one....play the first one.  The emotional attachment you make with the characters is the whole point, and you need to go through the first in order to get that.  Not convinced a youtube movie is going to accomplish that.

jth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14057 on: June 20, 2020, 11:06:40 AM

I am not even going to read the comments, but after the intro bits I can only imagine what the bigoted incel crowd have to say about the game.

They are saying what you expect, but we can ignore that as usual.

However the game has other, more fundamental issues that are driving some people away, the Polygon review sums it up pretty well.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14058 on: June 20, 2020, 11:08:11 AM

They are saying what you expect, but we can ignore that as usual.

However the game has other, more fundamental issues that are driving some people away, the Polygon review sums it up pretty well.

Not going to read that review right now, but “I doubt it” in regards to fundamental issues.  I will come back here if I run across any.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14059 on: June 20, 2020, 11:16:39 AM

One thing I noticed is that, most of the times, people seem to care a lot in games about stuff that is often completely irrelevant to me. I am not gonna click on that link jth provided because everything is a spoiler to me, but I will at the end of the ride. And I am curious, will it be another instance of "what the fuck is wrong with these people always looking for something to complain?" or will I agree? I am pretty curious at this point. But I still maintain that, overall, there's a lot of idiots that go to negatively review games on Steam because "can't remap controls!" or the fantastic and all-inclusive "this is not optimized!" and stuff like that. My experience with The Last of Su 2 so far is flawless an glorious and I have a hard time picturing how that could change.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #14060 on: June 20, 2020, 02:12:13 PM

There's a strange, deep thing in gaming that we will spend 1000X the time someone would on a novel on a game that we ultimately are very unhappy with because of what it could have been or could have done. But that's actually common in cultural life. There are critics who know a novel or a major fiction writer deeply where they come to really hate the thing they know because they can see very clearly its avoidable failures or shortcomings. That normally takes extensive study or devotional repetition with most culture. With games, it's almost baked in.
schild
Administrator

Reply #14061 on: June 20, 2020, 03:56:09 PM

There's a strange, deep thing in gaming that we will spend 1000X the time someone would on a novel on a game that we ultimately are very unhappy with because of what it could have been or could have done. But that's actually common in cultural life. There are critics who know a novel or a major fiction writer deeply where they come to really hate the thing they know because they can see very clearly its avoidable failures or shortcomings. That normally takes extensive study or devotional repetition with most culture. With games, it's almost baked in.

I spent 48 minutes in outer wilds before asking for a refund.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #14062 on: June 20, 2020, 09:15:43 PM

Playing Endzone:  A World Apart right now.  Has a lot of promise but I couldn't recommend it as of this time.   I am hoping they refine the player experience a whole lot more.  Right now its just has way too many wide swings and its mechanics doesn't seem to make much sense.

Also playing Detroit:  Become Human and am loving it.  Was surprised as heck to see it come to steam though.  Not sure what is up with Quantic Dream's titles suddenly becoming available but I am glad it is.  I love this studio's work.

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14063 on: June 21, 2020, 03:05:17 AM

I've been on a real indie binge lately, and luckily most of them are pretty short.

Gorogoa - beautiful game, with a unique puzzle mechanic. Main downside for me was that there was too much tedious, random clicking and moving things around to figure out what was interactive, and how.

Far From Noise - basically a visual short novel with pleasant visuals. Story was decent.

Firewatch - if the last part of the game had been more consistent this would've probably been one of my favourite games, ever.

Old Man's Journey - another pretty game, decent story, poor gameplay.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #14064 on: June 21, 2020, 02:11:35 PM

If you liked Firewatch, make sure to give Edith Finch and Everybody's gone to the Rapture a shot. Same vein of game, also great stories. Rapture's a bit more up it's own ass, but both are worth it.
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14065 on: June 22, 2020, 01:11:23 AM

Thanks for the recommendations. Edith Finch is on the backlog, and I've looked at Rapture before but I think I skipped it because of the low review score. I'll take another look!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #14066 on: June 22, 2020, 01:41:41 AM

Edith Finch is incredible. THE very best game in the loose genre we are talking about here. Fantastic game. Rapture  is interesting but to me dropped the ball a little. On that vein, obvious recommendation is Gone Home, followed by same developer's but slightly less good Tacoma.

Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #14067 on: June 22, 2020, 05:13:11 AM

+1 on Edith finch. Of all the low gameplay games it’s my favorite.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #14068 on: June 22, 2020, 06:52:32 AM

Re: Eveybody's Gone to the Rapture and Tacoma, is there really much to these games apart from the walking? Would playing it be any different to watching a Let's Play / longplay? One of the biggest reasons why I enjoyed Firewatch was that it wasn't just a walking simulator.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #14069 on: June 22, 2020, 08:20:00 AM

More Last of Us  2.  People are crazy if they don’t like this game.  Well okay, maybe the genre is not for everyone, but it is of such absurdly high quality that buying it and not liking it says more about the buyer than the game.  I can only imagine that there is hours of extremely gay sex coming up in my playthrough, because beyond that I cannot imagine what the incels are up in arms about.

I played two hours last night just knocking about in Seattle doing nothing, and it was enthralling.

Pages: 1 ... 400 401 [402] 403 404 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: