Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173069 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #13720 on: January 01, 2020, 05:57:42 PM

I haven't really been dugging around a lot for more info about the anime and anything else yet, but, from what I gathered, the visual novel, by the nature of itself, is a lot more slow paced, character traits are described more in-depth (also thanks to the exhaustive inner monologues) and you probably get more attached to every single one of them just because of that.
The patch I mentioned above also includes japanese voiceovers and they bring the whole thing to another level thanks to some nice voice acting (Rena is just awesome with the original JPN voiceover).

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13721 on: January 02, 2020, 05:41:39 PM

Vampyr is actually pretty good.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13722 on: January 03, 2020, 06:42:51 AM

Just finished Jedi Fallen Order.

Bruh.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #13723 on: January 03, 2020, 06:55:42 AM

Back to playing RimWorld once again. Sticking to "The Doctor's World" (by DrZhivago) collection  though sticking to might be the wrong word when it contains  287 mods...
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #13724 on: January 03, 2020, 04:08:46 PM

Bruh.

Is that a good bruh or a bad bruh.

Inquiring minds need to know.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13725 on: January 04, 2020, 02:24:22 AM

I can't really stop playing Darkest Dungeon, which has been kicking my but for 110 hours so far, but I am trying to fight to addiction by introducing some other games in the loop. I caved and bypassed my ban on Idea Factory games so picked up Mary Skelter because Rendakor says it's good and because dungeon crawler+anime gets me every time. If anything, I am liking how much story is there for what I thought was just the usual Idea Factory weeabo trap (It still is a weeaboo trap).

Oh and Higurashi is so damn good. It makes me happy to see it acknowledged here!

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13726 on: January 04, 2020, 01:05:44 PM

Bruh.

Is that a good bruh or a bad bruh.

Inquiring minds need to know.
Good.

I don't want to spoil it but ho ho holy crap.

Between that and Death Stranding, I got much more of a taste for console-style gaming, so when I loaded up on some sale titles to have stuff banked to play this year, I grabbed the two most recent Assassin's Creeds. Loaded up Origins and I'm enjoying the first open region quite a bit. I got into Far Cry 5 quite a bit, so the whole melange is working, even though there are a lot of niggling little things I miss from DS/JFO.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13727 on: January 06, 2020, 12:25:17 PM

Mordheim again. Not a lot of total time in this but I keep coming back to push this wounded band of losers back into a ruined warzone for profit.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13728 on: January 06, 2020, 02:53:23 PM

Mordheim is great, or close to. I wish they didn't run out of money and polished it as it deserved. It's one of my almost-favourite. That company was working on a Necromunda game, but the last update was from more than a year ago so they likely dissolved for good. Too bad.

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #13729 on: January 06, 2020, 05:22:38 PM

Not sure what is happening with the Necromunda game, sadly, but Warhammer Underworlds is due out in about 3 weeks.  I like how they made it look like the tabletop, but who knows how it will play.  That is assuming, of course, that it's not a bug-ridden wreck like so many other Games Workshop pc games.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13730 on: January 06, 2020, 06:25:38 PM

Not sure what is happening with the Necromunda game, sadly, but Warhammer Underworlds is due out in about 3 weeks.  I like how they made it look like the tabletop, but who knows how it will play.  That is assuming, of course, that it's not a bug-ridden wreck like so many other Games Workshop pc games.
Falconeer played it and said it was very bad.
MournelitheCalix
Terracotta Army

Reply #13731 on: January 06, 2020, 07:49:46 PM

Frostpunk and loving every punishing minute of it.   

Born too late to explore the new world.
Born too early to explore the universe.
Born just in time to see liberty die.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13732 on: January 07, 2020, 05:57:57 AM

Yes, I tried the beta. I walked in super pumped, I walked away disappointed. I did not put real time into it, but I was not happy with the UI and as shallow as that may sound UIs play a huge role for me in ways I can't explain. So in short, this could turn out decent at the end of the Early Access period, but while for example the Gloomhaven Early Access game looks and feels shiny even in its early stages, Warhammer Underworld gave me a completely different vibe.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13733 on: January 07, 2020, 09:12:52 AM

UI makes a HUGE fucking difference in a game. Blood Bowl's UI was a goddamn nightmare only made bearable by the fact that I wanted to play Blood Bowl. The thought of that UI and the removal of many teams is why I didn't buy BB2.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13734 on: January 07, 2020, 11:09:16 AM

I was just gonna call out Blood Bowl. It's been a while, but I feel like I've lost matches just due to the UI (rather than my own suckage at said game).

I'm mildly amused to find myself just hanging out in the wilderness hunting in AC:Origins...just like I did for much of FC5...
« Last Edit: January 07, 2020, 11:25:01 AM by Sky »
Setanta
Terracotta Army

Reply #13735 on: January 07, 2020, 02:04:56 PM

I can't really stop playing Darkest Dungeon, which has been kicking my but for 110 hours so far, but I am trying to fight to addiction by introducing some other games in the loop.

I wish they would port this to Android, as I'd pay retail for it there, it's just the perfect downtime game. Apparently it went to the Apple store but not Android.

"No man is an island. But if you strap a bunch of dead guys together it makes a damn fine raft."
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13736 on: January 08, 2020, 01:49:36 AM

Finished off FF12 a couple weeks ago.  Strange that a game I didn't care much for when it came out retroactively becomes one of my favorite FF games.  I ultimately tired for some of the more advanced hunts and just went and slaughtered the end game content after being slightly over-leveled and having a bunch of melee ninja and samurai tornados.  Going into some of the end bosses being concerned if I was ready for them, and just chopped them to shit without using any offensive magic at all.  Fun times.

Have now continued my Final Fantasy binge on to 15.  After a couple of false starts with this game, I am sorta finally getting into it.  It actually has a lot going for it, and the combat is becoming.....tolerable?  Not good, but I can deal with it for now.  I know FF never re-uses it's combat systems, but man I wish they would have just copied it from 12.  The world itself is admittedly great.  We'll see if I can stick it out, I think I am in Chapter 3 or something.

Also still playing the RE:2 remake.  The police station itself is a crazy good nostalgia trip.  But now I am out of the police station and I barely recognize any of it.  Still pretty good, but the nature of the game sorta changes.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13737 on: January 08, 2020, 02:16:02 AM

When it came out it resembled MMORPGs too much and, at least for me, felt like a betrayal and a boring one. Played it last year and liked it now that we have a shortage of classic MMOPRGs, but most importantly the Turbo mode did the trick. I couldn't have done it without it. And that wasn't there when it first launched.

Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13738 on: January 08, 2020, 05:34:04 AM

I can tolerate the combat in 15 but I don't like it by any means.  The magic system in particular is really poor, hitting your own characters is never fun.  The combat does kind of fall apart near the end in one specific chapter.  The world and banter between the characters are great and that's what really kept me playing.  Driving around in the car is weirdly relaxing.  I do wish there were more variety in the dungeons, they were all kind of samey.   

The story is a fucking train wreck though.  There's constantly parts where you feel like you missed conversations or skipped an entire section and have no clue what's going on.  Every now and then one of the characters will drop a banter line bomb that's a major story beat that's totally out of the blue and then it's never expanded on again, they just totally leave you hanging.  There's one part (minor spoiler... I guess) where you need to find a boat and they make this huge deal about not being able to get a boat and who knows where we will get one.  They setup this whole big thing where you are going on this quest to find a boat.  Then it cuts to a loading screen and when it finishes you're half way around the world and have a boat.  awesome, for real

The police station is for sure the best part of RE2.  There's a few monsters in the sewers that are really irritating.  I think it's worth finishing though, there's some good parts after the police station.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13739 on: January 08, 2020, 05:41:16 AM

The thing so far about FF15 is that, despite being 10 hours into it, there is very little of an actual Main Story so far.  Most of the game has nothing to do with it.  Surely that will change at some point, but I have done dozens of quests, and can only remember 3 or 4 of them actually being tied to the main story directly.  But yeah, it's a strangely relaxing game.

I have recently learned that Alien: Isolation has a VR mod and is reportedly scarier than all the shit that ever was.  I will have to think about that one.  I think it is only xbox controller mode, no hand tracking.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13740 on: January 08, 2020, 01:06:06 PM

You know what make FF15 ten times better? Watching the movie, Kingsglaive. Whether you do it before you play or while you are playing it adds SO MUCH to the world it's not even funny. It points out how bad and underdeveloped (?!) the world is in FF XV the game and how much they had to throw away apparently. It shows in the way the game starts, Sure Stand By Me is cool, but who the fuck are you and who is your dead and what is all the troubles going on about? The movie fixes all that, all of a sudden I had an idea of what was going on and why, and I was caring about the people and the places.

I can't stress this enough. Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htnkOpknGok this movie if you plan on playing FF15. It makes zero sense without the movie.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13741 on: January 12, 2020, 09:10:34 AM

And now I am playing DAoC.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13742 on: January 12, 2020, 10:24:56 AM

What in the actual fuck is wrong with you?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13743 on: January 12, 2020, 11:04:45 AM

Friends, nostalgia, but most of all the desire to recapture something lost: forced grouping. Can't see us playing longer than a couple of days, but this just reminded me what I liked in MMORPGs and why I would like a new take on it.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #13744 on: January 12, 2020, 12:23:47 PM

Don't FFXIV or FFXI provide enough forced grouping to scratch that itch?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13745 on: January 12, 2020, 04:24:54 PM

FFXI maybe but that's a headache to get into and still requires a monthly sub and a box purchase. Final Fantasy XIV? Absolutely not. As I explained many times to the point of being obnoxious in its own thread, I jumped onto FF XIV looking for a vintage MMORPG and did not find it. I made it to level 55 and played for about a month hoping to find any kind of a challenge, and there was none. The "forced" grouping is only in instanced dungeons and those also happened to be incredibly easy to the point that failing one proved to be impossible.
I've been told many times that things change after level 60, that seems too little too late for me.

In short, FF XIV is a take on World of Warcraft, not on EverQuest. I can't stand WoW and clearly I've been missing EQ clones and I'm looking for more EQ.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #13746 on: January 12, 2020, 07:25:51 PM

I hear McQuaid was working on a game before he died.  why so serious?

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13747 on: January 13, 2020, 02:19:32 AM

I would be looking forward to Pantheon, if they had more money and a serious producer.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13748 on: January 13, 2020, 06:21:36 AM

I don't miss any of that challenge from EQ. Naturally I'm enjoying FFXIV. I have some great outfits.

Alien: Isolation in VR? <nope.gif>

I finished FFXV a long time ago and decided that it is just a bad game. I never really understood the story in any of them.

Spent a weekend with someone watching Oxygen Not Included videos. I'd enjoy it if I didn't do flow control, automation, and systems building/optimization for work. Also base building is owning a house. Related, I see Factorio has released and maybe I'll try that again.

What I'm actually doing is playing 30-60 minutes of Mordheim at a time. Fun times when I forget that my third-string leader got a skull fracture the day after I hired him and sometimes just stands around drooling instead of being productive. Luckily I managed to draw all the Skaven enemy into a melee and routed their warband before too many of my mercs were knocked out.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13749 on: January 13, 2020, 07:05:17 AM

Alien: Isolation in VR? <nope.gif>
why so serious?

I'm still enjoying my time in the desert with AC:Origins. Great gameplay loop and I have to set limits or I'd just wander around all day. Not sure why the series never clicked for me, but this time it's perfect. I'm around 40 hours in and the size of the map is becoming daunting...

I'd been going back and forth on Resident Evil 2 for the entire PS sale before I realized there was a demo. Loaded that up, went in with biases and those were confirmed - I don't like console shooters and I miss the old static camera. I'm one of those people who liked the old style camera and controls.

The next morning I decided to give it another shot, taking the game at face value. I had also noticed a headphone binaural option in the menu, so I put it through the headphones with the shades drawn. Also the full game has a grampa mode (assisted), so I enabled that...and yeah. The audio is intense and really beefs up the visual. I still miss the cinematographic impact of the static cameras, but the intense audio with really strong positioning makes the whole package work really well. And grampa mode covers up a lot of my hate for console shooters.

Ended up buying it, to the amusement of the fiancee who found my inner debate over spending less than $20 amusing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13750 on: January 13, 2020, 07:38:55 AM

Was trying to complete the map in AC: Origins but ended up taking a very long break. Keeping me from booting Odyssey.

slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #13751 on: January 13, 2020, 04:00:38 PM

I have never played an Assassin's Creed game.  Which one would be good to start with?  The first one looks a bit dated.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #13752 on: January 13, 2020, 04:11:00 PM

The Ezio trilogy (AC2, AC: Brotherhood and AC: Revelations) were my favorite, although that was when they were more stealth-focused games instead of the sprawling open-world games Ubisoft has been known for lately.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13753 on: January 14, 2020, 12:06:15 AM

I finished FFXV a long time ago and decided that it is just a bad game. I never really understood the story in any of them.

I am having the opposite experience.  The more I play it, the more I like it.  I actually really like the world itself, and the whole thing is quite relaxing.  I wouldn't say the combat improves, as such, but I would say that I have begun to understand and get used to it.  I no longer "dislike" it, necessarily.  I have only just started messing with the magic (at level 39), and I think there is something interesting there.  There are occasional cool as shit moments as well, like fighting Titan and all the effects around that, and the first time I summoned Ramuh....holy shit, bro.

SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #13754 on: January 14, 2020, 12:41:43 AM

I have never played an Assassin's Creed game.  Which one would be good to start with?  The first one looks a bit dated.
Main problem with the first one is that it suffers from being the "first" in its area.   It's a good game, but it gets INSANELY repetitive VERY quickly as everything outside of the main storyline basically seems like they never iterated past the proof of concept gameplay demo stage.   If you basically just burn through it for the story, it isn't too bad.  But the instant you try to go "completionist" on it you will find out rapidly that literally every new city is EXACTLY the same as every other city, and that pretty much 95% of the game is repeating the same 3 or 4 things over and over and over again.   Later games in the original trilogy at least give you more varied side quests to do and add a bit of flavor to things to keep it interesting.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 12:44:04 AM by SurfD »

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Pages: 1 ... 391 392 [393] 394 395 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: