Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:30:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2173438 times)
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #13790 on: February 03, 2020, 09:41:34 AM

i am going to save this review for posterity

https://www.investrecords.com/2020/02/03/warcraft-3-reforged-is-no-longer-the-catastrophe-you-watched-it-is-far/

Warcraft 3 Reforged is no longer the catastrophe you watched it is far

Warcraft 3: Reforged is an unmitigated catastrophe. A worm ridden, incomplete cash obtain that no longer handiest fails to bring on its usual promise, however scorches its have legacy be pleased a burning legion invasion. The excellent nail in a gold-plated coffin for a morally bankrupt, creatively anemic company.

As a minimum, that’s the consensus.

As far as I will be succesful to tell, Warcraft 3: Reforged is swish.

The usual cinematics had been scaled badly, and look uneven and low-res which capacity that. The contemporary in-engine cutscenes are usually an development – steadily great – however the lip syncing is manner off. Generally, the animations are off too, be pleased when I watched Arthas kill Mal’Ganis by stabbing Frostmourne by his left bollock.

The UI changes shown off in the genuine trailers had been abandoned, replaced by some minor changes to size and visual clarity. Some in-engine cutscenes inform the dynamic camera angles shown off at Blizzcon 2018, however many don’t. The mannequin redesigns are great, and every contemporary one brings me untold joy, however taken as an total, the sport is lacking the put up-processing that ties it all collectively into a cohesive stunning. Blizzard did stealth-instruct these changes, however failed to drag the genuine video from the store internet page. For that, they’re fully at fault.

Most troubling are the copyright changes Blizzard comprise made to customized sport possession. If anything about Reforged disregards the legacy of Warcraft 3, it’s this.

Competitive ladders had been eliminated from multiplayer. Custom-made campaigns are no longer presently accessible. Even players that haven’t purchased Reforged had been compelled to download a gigantic change, and now wish to face most certainly the precious identical server concerns.

These are all essential factors, some extra valuable than others. I don’t imply to downplay the neighborhood’s complaints.

Nonetheless I’m aloof having a blast.

In my assessment-in-development, I hoped that after I’d spent extra time with Reforged, I’d be ready to separate my have nostalgia and ancient previous from what I used to be experiencing.

As It turns out, I will be succesful to’t. So I’m no longer even going to investigate cross-check. I will be succesful to’t tell you what returning to this model of Azeroth must aloof imply to you. Right here’s what it system to me.

On the right facet of my chest, I no doubt comprise the phrases “I’ll make it to the moon if I no doubt wish to trip” tattooed in easy, shaded script. I obtained it valid on the tail stay of my first Twelve months at uni.

I dropped out of faculty at fifteen years aged, didn’t create my assessments. I had no skills. No valid ambitions with the exception of playing bass and getting stoned day by day. By the level I changed into 21, I’d done neighborhood college, and as a result of the bursaries and loans from being from a low earnings household, I’d been ready to initiating a three Twelve months inventive writing route at university. I got here end to losing by the wayside various times from despair, however ultimately obtained by the first Twelve months.

If I managed that, I positive, I could per chance per chance arrange anything.

I’ll make it to the moon if I no doubt wish to trip. My first tat, and aloof basically the most full of life one I no doubt comprise.

It is seemingly you’ll per chance per chance per chance recognise the road. It’s from the song Scar Tissue by the Red Sizzling Chilli Peppers. It’s aloof no doubt one of my accepted traces. Nonetheless I additionally felt happy getting it inked on chronicle of I figured – and aloof create – that if I ever fell out of be pleased with the band’s song, it used to be correct adequate poetry to face by itself phrases.

I no doubt cherished the band then, and had for a whereas. I bring this all up on chronicle of I wish to emphasise what an advanced different it used to be when, the week Warcraft 3 released back in 2002, my mum – who had valid separated from my dad, and used to be making up for lost time – made up our minds she wished to procure me and my two brothers and sister to impress RHCP are residing. If any of us didn’t wish to head, lets comprise the money as an different.

50 quid. Exactly how much Warcraft 3 price. I could per chance per chance inch peep a band I cherished with my household, or I will comprise the dwelling – and the PC – to myself for about a days.

It used to be a astronomical few days.

I’m no longer positive I’d comprise ever began writing if it wasn’t for Warcraft 2. As a minimum, I wouldn’t comprise had my imagination captured by epic story in the identical manner. Observing aged footage back, it looks be pleased a stretch to sq. up those two concepts. There’s no longer much epic, in hindsight, about Warcraft 2’s small skirmishes. It didn’t feel be pleased that then, although. It felt gigantic, thrilling. Six years ahead of The Fellowship of the Ring awed me in the cinema, commanding these bands of inexperienced skinned warriors used to be the closest thing to observing a plump scale war between elves, contributors, dwarves, orcs, and trolls I’d ever viewed. I figured Warcraft had invented orcs for quite a whereas.

Warcraft 2 used to be even out of the ordinary on chronicle of I’d watched my dad playing it first. There used to be one thing subtle and grownup about the thought that of a manner sport. Drawing inexperienced bins around bands of gadgets, upgrading weapons and armour, building settlements.

When my Dad, Roy, handed, he had the identical long silver hair he’d had for most of his life. He’d let his beard, on the overall trimmed short, develop out to wizardly proportions. Once I spoke to the coroner over the telephone to substantiate some small print, he mentioned to me:

“He looked superior, your dad. Regarded be pleased Gandalf the Gray.”

I have a tendency in direction of gallows humour on a correct day. In times of tragedy, it’s instinctual.

“I don’t judge he’ll be back as Roy the White by some capacity” I spoke back.

He didn’t know what to remark to that.

Ingredient is, rising up, my dad used to be Gandalf. A protracted haired, intimidating, however tender guardian that launched me and my siblings to mythical creatures and magical worlds. Warhammer. Godzilla motion photographs. Comic books. Motion figures. And PC games. Worship Warcraft.

Once I used to be very young, maybe 9 or ten, the document and electronics shop my dad owned used to be broken into, and the thieves stole dozens of Sega Megadrive games. After that, he handiest left empty cases in the shop, and brought a gigantic procure plump of PlayStation 1 – and later Dreamcast – discs dwelling with him day by day. We weren’t smartly off, or even smartly off. The complete lot used to be 2d hand, and my dad did swaps for just a few pounds far extra on the overall than he supplied anything. Nonetheless if my dad had it on the tip of the day, I could per chance per chance play it.

I judge Warcraft 3 used to be the first sport I ever purchased from somewhere that wasn’t my dad’s shop, and presumably the first sport I ever purchased contemporary, too. I didn’t be pleased games then any lower than I create now, however with the exception of copies of Suikoden II and Abe’s Exodus I begged for a selection of birthdays, I used to be on the overall lisp to valid play whatever my dad had installed, or in-stock.

No longer Warcraft 3. Wished to comprise it. I desired to attain back to Azeroth, and create the story. What I chanced on used to be one thing far extra ambitious and thoughtful than I’d dared to hope. A yarn that no longer handiest expanded what existed previously into about a pages of lore to an MMO-great world, however breathed life into two dimensional archetypes. It used to be though-provoking, tragic, fascinating, and gigantic. It used to be the entirety a correct story story must be.

As I mentioned, without Warcraft, I’m no longer positive I’d be a author. Would never comprise long previous to university. Would never comprise obtained that tattoo.

All these moments I cherished before the entirety are aloof there. Arthas stopping to protect a falling petal in his gloved hands as he marches into King Terenas’ throne room and commits the act that will rattling him eternally. Sylvana’s death and undeath. Gromm being corrupted by demon blood, and later, combating facet by facet with Thrall yet again. That astonishing final mission, where males and orcs and elves band collectively to protect the world in opposition to Archimonde.

Some are so considerably better. The remastered cutscene where Arthas finds the cursed blade Frostmourne is gorgeous. Observing it facet by facet with the genuine, it’s impossible to discontinuance that no care or be pleased went into Reforged. Whether by funds, neglect, or mismanagement, cutscenes be pleased this are the exception – no longer the guideline that used to be marketed. It’s a shame, on chronicle of if nothing else, the artists and animators that worked on Reforged appear be pleased they had been uninteresting plot on creating one thing no doubt special.

If there are any valuable bugs, I haven’t chanced on any, build the one time I had to restart the sport on chronicle of I used to be auto-failing any mission I tried to initiating. I shut it down, began it back up yet again, and things had been swish since. That mentioned, I gather the impact I’m the outlier here, so I’d point out seeking out some varied evidence – as in photography, movies, explicit descriptions, no longer valid imprecise shouting on the get – ahead of you’re making up your have mind.

Two thirds of the manner by the orcish marketing campaign in Reign of Chaos, Thrall sends Gromm Hellscream off to a northern forest to glean lag for a contemporary orcish settlement. What neither of them realise is that the forest is sacred to the Night Elves that stay there. The bushes that the orcs decrease down and repurpose are feeble previous measure.

After combating the Night Elves, and accumulating a gigantic stockpile of lag from their sacred forest, Gromm starts work on the inferior. One thing contemporary, constructed from the remains of the aged.

Gromm ultimately builds the inferior, and it’s a swish inferior. Presumably no longer exactly what used to be promised, however it’s…swish, you know?

It’s valid a shame he has to murder so much ancient previous to gather there.

Be taught Extra
[/quote]
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13791 on: February 03, 2020, 09:46:07 AM

Finished FFXV.  On balance, I like it quite a lot, and the ending was well done.  I feel like it missed a lot of opportunities....like a lot of systems were built in but left un-realized or otherwise not taken to their full potential.  All in all, a much better experience than what I expected it to be.

I agree completely with this assessment and unfortunately I'm holding this against Squenix. I played most of the original FF games since the first and I was very disappointed with what I also felt was an incomplete game. There were so many great chunks floating in an unfinished medium; it just didn't congeal into a proper FF. THEN I tried to play one of the DLCs and simply quit. It was a fine ride in many ways but compared to previous FF games, I found it lacking.

I am a sucker for a sappy story, so it takes less to pull me into it.  But yeah, no desire to play the DLC, and would probably not want to play it again down the road.  The rpg elements, skills, magic, etc., are not fleshed out enough for that part to be interesting.  Ascension points a complete waste of time, itemization and weapon advancement almost completely halts early in the game, which is basically a cardinal sin in a FF game.  But yeah, I liked the story quite a bit.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #13792 on: February 04, 2020, 06:07:35 AM

I'm at the very end of Cold Steel and I'm going to hop into the second one immediately.  I'm really glad they decided to put this series out on the PC.

Taking a bit of a break from Oxygen not Included, my last colony had a horrible death around 250 cycles in which bummed me out.  It sucks when things fall apart so quickly when you think everything is going well.  I'm already planning out the next one though, I learn something new every time.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13793 on: February 04, 2020, 09:43:28 AM

Kentucky Route Zero finally released its fifth (and final) chapter, so I just finished that up.  If you've been waiting until the whole game is done before picking it up, good for you, because I'd lost track of who some of the characters are in between when I finished act IV and now.  Doing it all in one sequential binge is the way to go.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #13794 on: February 04, 2020, 09:55:58 AM

I forgot all about that game. I think at some point I purged it from my wishlist. Back on it goes!
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13795 on: February 04, 2020, 10:43:43 AM

You have to have a very high tolerance for games that aren't really games, but if you like that sort of thing (and I do sometimes) it's a very solid thing of that type.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #13796 on: February 04, 2020, 02:05:49 PM

I do, and also yes I was waiting to play it all at once. About how many hours do you estimate the game consumes?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #13797 on: February 04, 2020, 05:16:22 PM

Same! I had it for ten years and for that long I hoped it would be finished one day. Finally time to play it.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13798 on: February 05, 2020, 07:31:31 AM

I finally got serious in the past couple of weeks about playing Witcher III. Controlling Roach is causing me a lot more grief that I think it should, and is detracting a lot from my enjoyment. Geralt is walking a lot of places.

Otherwise, wife and I are becoming more entrenched in FFXIV. Trying hard to get over that post-50 hump so we can get to the expansion areas, but overall it is an enjoyable effort. I've turned into a competent White Mage and am coming along with Black Mage as well. Wife didn't realize that I have specific outfits worn when playing either job, but now she sometimes realizes I can't raise her when I'm wearing black. She has mostly settled on Samurai as a favored job, because she does enjoy cutting motherfuckers.

Finished SquareCells with 100% completion. Steam achievements did not trigger but I'm trying not to OCD over it.

I have started a colony in Oxygen Not Included but the correct mood doesn't strike me very often. I do prefer it over Factorio.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13799 on: February 06, 2020, 03:14:07 PM

Lack of control over Roach is a source of hilarity.
Raguel
Terracotta Army

Reply #13800 on: February 06, 2020, 03:30:34 PM

I got most of EU IV from the humble bundle so I just started playing that. I refuse to play any tutorials so I'm playing on Zanzibar and I immediately regret my decision.  why so serious? It's all good. Just learning a new game. For some reason I really thought I wasn't going to like it at all, but at $17 I figured might as well try. So far, so good.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13801 on: February 07, 2020, 06:40:30 AM

Lack of control over Roach is a source of hilarity.
I tend to walk in most games featuring horses. In AC:Origins, at least there is a combat bonus to being mounted. And it doesn't  knock the horse out if you hit a tree like in RDR2. Finicky controls + wooded areas + "realism"  why so serious?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #13802 on: February 07, 2020, 07:23:29 AM

I do, and also yes I was waiting to play it all at once. About how many hours do you estimate the game consumes?

I think Act V took me about an hour, hour and a half?  Steam says I have 9 hours total playtime and I'm pretty sure some of that includes leaving it paused in the background while I did something else.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13803 on: February 07, 2020, 11:07:26 AM

I didn't have any real complaints about horsery in RDR2, and the various hilarities were just bonus. I walk most everywhere in Breath of the Wild but it's not because my horse (Speckles) is hard to control, rather because I keep having to dismount to do things very frequently. I think the devs of Witcher III realized at the end that they forgot to put Roach in and hired a sub-team to shoehorn it in during the final weeks.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #13804 on: February 07, 2020, 11:35:10 AM

There's a button you can hold down to make Roach follow roads, minimal steering required.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13805 on: February 07, 2020, 11:46:25 AM

Yeah, Roach is like the easiest video game horse ever.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13806 on: February 07, 2020, 01:07:51 PM

That's in RDR2 and Assassin's Creed, too, except better since you don't have to hold it down, just long-press to activate the feature. Nice for cinematic mode in RDR2 or fighting in AC:Origins (my main AC experience thus far). I noticed at one point that I was taking boats in Origins far more than horse/camel, which made a kind of sense, so I made it an rp thing for a while.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #13807 on: February 10, 2020, 05:39:22 AM

Yeah, Roach is like the easiest video game horse ever.

It's entirely probable that I have some control-disconnect here. Still unpleasant.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13808 on: February 10, 2020, 07:47:59 AM

Speaking of transportation, I've got a very minimal but persistent desire to have a racing game on my console. I used to be into Need for Speed waaaay back, but that was mostly due to local multiplayer and likely rose-tinted. The one racer I remember playing quite a bit of was Burnout Paradise, so I'm not exactly a sim guy. I'm hesitant to splash out money for such an ancient game, though.

I tried a couple that had demos, but 1st person camera is a deal breaker for me. If I had a wheel & stuff, sure. But with a controller, I like a high chase cam (in GTA, the highest chase cam is often too low for my taste).

In a rare fit of nostalgia, I did splash out for the GTA 3/VC/SA bundle (on sale) because I loved SA that much...loaded up GTA 3 and man, those controls did NOT age well. This is why I'm not a nostalgic person!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13809 on: February 10, 2020, 09:47:15 AM

Forza Horizon 4 is HEAVEN, especially as a casual racing fan. HEAVEN I am telling you. Also, it's basically free with the $4 Xbox App pass.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13810 on: February 10, 2020, 11:08:27 AM

PS4 tho
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #13811 on: February 10, 2020, 12:45:25 PM

I'm playing an early access game called "Surviving the Aftermath." It's a post-apocalyptic city builder where you do all of the usual things so far. I've only been playing a few hours so it's too soon to say much. Paradox is currently selling the game for 10 bucks and given that I've enjoyed almost every Paradox game, I bought it without hesitation.
schild
Administrator

Reply #13812 on: February 10, 2020, 05:35:24 PM

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13813 on: February 10, 2020, 05:54:20 PM

I'm playing an early access game called "Surviving the Aftermath." It's a post-apocalyptic city builder where you do all of the usual things so far. I've only been playing a few hours so it's too soon to say much. Paradox is currently selling the game for 10 bucks and given that I've enjoyed almost every Paradox game, I bought it without hesitation.

epic store tho

schild
Administrator

Reply #13814 on: February 10, 2020, 06:08:39 PM

I've enjoyed almost every Paradox game

Spent 10 years trying to figure out the target audience
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #13815 on: February 10, 2020, 06:21:32 PM

PS4 tho

Well sir, you are in luck.... Sims 4 is free on PS Plus.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13816 on: February 10, 2020, 07:09:59 PM

I'm doing Surviving the Apocalypse also.

It's super-vanilla. If they can't give it more flavor before it gets out of Early Access, it's done. It's really boring, generic post-apocalypse. The mini-plots don't have any real flair or feel. The specialists are their chance to do a sort of X-Com thing where you get really invested in risk/reward and the personalities but they have no actual distinctiveness and they're never really in danger unless you're stupid. Exploring outward is dull as fuck, there's no surprise to any of it. The personalities of towns don't matter.

Etc. It's Early Access, it feels like it, and I have no real confidence that the people involved understand that it's completely missing the special sauce.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #13817 on: February 10, 2020, 07:25:15 PM

I've enjoyed almost every Paradox game
Spent 10 years trying to figure out the target audience
People who like Grand Strategy games?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #13818 on: February 11, 2020, 06:14:10 AM

Then I'm back to playing Burnout Paradise, because papa needs a new pc.

My cpu is 9 and my gpu is 6  why so serious?
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #13819 on: February 12, 2020, 04:37:35 AM

PC gaming is now MHW. My FFXIV sub ran out, I was very close to L70 and well into Heavensward quests. I will most likely resub eventually.

Pokemon Go battle league has been fun, though its aggravating to find out you need to prioritize sub optimal pokemon IV's for perfect pvp pokemon in the CP limited leagues. Also since I never played a single mainline Pokemon game I'm way behind the curve remembering type weaknesses and which creatures are which types. The pve/raid system is still dogshit though.

Kinda burned out on Brown Dust, though its incredibly generous to f2p for a gatcha and the unit art is nice... Its still not as good as Soccer Spirits which is my gold standard for these things.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 04:39:07 AM by Hoax »

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #13820 on: February 12, 2020, 09:16:17 AM

The theorycrafting involved in serious Pokemon PvP is a turn off to me--it's very non-intuitive and it means that the battles don't have any spontaneity or tactical creativity.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #13821 on: February 13, 2020, 11:50:06 AM

Anyone have a survival sandbox that they'd recommend in the same ballpark as Subnautica, The Forrest, Minecraft Survival, or any buildy/explorey type game? I feel like I need to mess around in something without a direct goal in mind. Astroneer any good? 7 Days is just a bit on the janky (and not in a good way) side.

-Rasix
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #13822 on: February 15, 2020, 09:08:56 PM

Then I'm back to playing Burnout Paradise, because papa needs a new pc.

My cpu is 9 and my gpu is 6  why so serious?

If you're looking for a good racer on the PS4, Gran Turismo Sport is fantastic. You can play it as a heavy sim type game if you want, but if you don't, there's an absolute fuckton of content for it, its controls are top notch, you can pick the camera and it's gorgeous.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #13823 on: February 16, 2020, 11:04:14 PM

20 hours into Cold Steel 2 (and that is just Act 1 lol).  The start left me a bit cold, possibly due to having played more than 100 hours of FF games in between, but it is picking up.

Finally also started playing Fallen Order on PC.  Holy shitsnacks, really impressive.  And it looks fucking astonishing in 4k, and I can even get it running over 100 FPS on Ultra settings.  It looks better than real life. 

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #13824 on: February 17, 2020, 03:02:52 AM

Speaking of Star Wars, I started playing SWTOR again with my usual friends, and I am having a great time. The game already had an amazing singple-player story multiplied by 8 (there were 8 distinct BVioware Star Wars stories in it) but 8 years later with all the Quality of Life stuff added, plus better graphics and content, plus free, and I am loving it all over again.

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 [395] 396 397 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: