Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:38:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172750 times)
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #12915 on: November 13, 2018, 06:47:20 AM

So I'm not the only one, reassuring.

Didn't spend a dime yet, either. I use the 5000gold (from daily quests) draft tournaments to get the cards I want. Chance is you lose in spectacular fashion, but its the best way to get cards for your deck ideas.

And yes, the Wildcard mechanic is genius.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12916 on: November 13, 2018, 06:55:41 AM

Just a quick shout to Merchant and LegendVD if you're interested in streamers and youtubers that really make interesting content and help you get back into Magic.

Legend, in particular, is doing as series on how to upgrade the starter decks that I've found hugely useful.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #12917 on: November 13, 2018, 07:16:33 AM

The only downside I've found with upgrading my deck is I play vs much better decks when doing so.  In particular, there is an Arclight Phoenix deck that I queue into every 4 games or so that just trucks me.  Once I finish off my current decks I may look into that one.

I think I would prefer trading to wildcards, but I don't hate the wildcards.  It seems like it makes uncommons way harder to get than they should be.  I guess it keeps the price down on the ultra good cards though, so that's good at least.  But it also makes mediocre/bad rares equally priced so they become really painful to craft if you just want to try one out or mess around.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12918 on: November 13, 2018, 08:07:23 AM

The Upgraded Red/Black Chaos deck is a huge amount of fun.  There's nothing quite like playing Treason on a Big Fattie and then saccing them.  You can HEAR the other player crying.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12919 on: November 15, 2018, 06:55:06 AM

They're saying that the Friends Challenge for Arena is coming tonight/tomorrow depending on your time zone.

We may be posting our ID's shortly for some insane card related ways to become mortal enemies.  Which would be a change from just posting in Politics.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12920 on: November 16, 2018, 04:09:31 PM

I know, I know... I can't let go.  I loved it the first time around and I'm hoping mod makers take it on but it's so old I suppose that's unlikely.  I knew our Schildy would go for it, he doesn't miss a trick, but I wonder if other people even noticed it on Steam.  I miss the look of my first character although the quality of this is much better.  I can't make a short, chubby Asian nerd girl anymore.  I'm sad.  It's what I've always wanted to be.  I still have my CD versions but I'll pay a tenner for the convenience of having it in my Steam library. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
lesion

Reply #12921 on: November 20, 2018, 05:42:04 AM

I actually really liked it just before it died, and then the resurrection put me off which I assume is the Steam version?

steam|a grue \[T]/
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12922 on: November 20, 2018, 05:48:31 AM

Not quite, the Steam version is a single player version of the Korean project that I believe is still online. One of the funny things about this version is the dialog, which was converted from English to KR for that version. However, instead of just rolling back, they translated from KR to English, so it's like the worst game of telephone ever.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #12923 on: November 20, 2018, 01:46:33 PM

Got a new puppy, so I can't really play LoL or any competitive multiplayer games. 50% of my night is opening a door and watching a small dog shit and piss.

So, mostly just roleplaying a cowboy for small increments right now. I love RDR2. I've only done maybe one story mission on the past week since finishing chapter 2. Stupid Micah mission. I finish it cleanly, but some local hick spots me looting the corpses and all the sudden I've killed 5 lawmen and racked up a $110 bounty.

Even this might end soon as it looks like work's sending me to Hursley for 2 weeks starting Sunday.  awesome, for real

-Rasix
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #12924 on: November 20, 2018, 07:57:08 PM

I looked everywhere in what I thought were the appropriate threads and could not find a pic or a story about the new puppy.  Where is it, Ras? 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12925 on: November 21, 2018, 01:28:30 AM

Schild finally got under my skin, so I purchased Grim Dawn and been playing that a lot.

It's awful.

I played a wee soldier, then a wee assasin, then I gave up and just played an occultist using Blood Pox, only to find out that he just melts everything on screen and can walk through the game exploring and melting and getting bad and confusing loot to drop.  So I'm decked out in bad blues and scared to put in my attributes because, hey, that's the one thing you can't respecc and it's apparently important for late stage gear.  Good Call designers.  That's not Fuck Stupid or anything.

I can see the appeal on some levels and (don't get me wrong) I intend to play it until I beat it, but it's a poor mans ARPG and it's stinks of cheapness.  Schild sold me on the idea that the combat is meaty and weighty and feels nice.  I wish I had his senses, because it's the same early PoE floaty small numbered crap that we're used to in other failures.  I really don't think anyone is ever going to beat Diablo 3 in this regard, but I have to say I think PoE combat is much better at the moment.  Who knows though, I didn't buy the expansions, so maybe I'm missing something.  It's probably me.  I'm probably missing something.  I'm old.

I don't know how multiplayer works, so feel free to school me, but I'm really not sure I'll be doing this again since it's not even procedurally generated so you're playing the EXACT same game next time around.  Don't fancy that much.

Hey ho.  

EDIT :  You should be used to me by now, but if you're not, none of this is a dig at anyone or what they enjoy, not even Schild.  why so serious?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 01:33:50 AM by Ironwood »

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #12926 on: November 21, 2018, 03:24:30 AM

I just got Grim Dawn a few days ago too. It's an updated and improved Titan Quest and I liked TQ so I'm loving its successor. I'm playing a dual pistol wielding tactician and having a blast. I started off as a sword and board soldier and then added the inquisitor class at which point I could do the pistols. So far I'm cleaning up.
If you decide to get the game definitely spring for the Crucible DLC. It's like $7 and is a quick and easy way to get good gear and devotion points at low levels.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12927 on: November 21, 2018, 08:06:06 AM

Having given up on Battletech because its difficulty level was way too randomly shitty, totally burned out on Conan Exiles and not really feeling GTA V yet, I'm flouncing about for games to play. I tried to proceed on FFVII and just fucking can't. I really hate the combat and not having modern amenities feels bad. I ran into the same problem trying to play Planescape: Torment - I think the story is interesting but just trying to play it at lunch on my work computer makes me literally fall asleep at the keyboard. Maybe it's all that reading with that shitty pixel font (and yes I did mod it for widescreen and such so it's readable text). I ended up restarting a game of Cities: Skylines for my lunch time fun.

At home, however, I'm thoroughly impressed with Hitman (the 2016 episodic one). I feel like they got this type of game just about perfect. Multiple avenues of solving each map, and every map is just clearly hand-crafted with care. It's a good thing this dev got the license because I would have hated for this to be a one-off.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12928 on: November 21, 2018, 08:45:33 AM

Currently reignited my infatuation with Fallout 4VR (Fuck you 76!)

Turns out the rather amazing Sim Settlements mod works quite well with it, which is a huge boost, since settlement building in VR is a bit of a pain in the ass.
Sim Settlements is one of those mods that the devs will likely end up stealing for future game versions, its just that impressive.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12929 on: November 21, 2018, 10:55:50 PM

What does Slim Settlements do?  I can basically never bother messing with settlements because, well, there are things out there that need to be shot in the face.  Also, if you haven't got it already, the lightsaber mod is cool as shit in VR.  And doesn't ruin immersion too much, because it isn't so far fetched in the fallout universe.  Which doesn't at all explain why I have the lightsaber mod for Skyrim VR as well.  Sometimes vampires just need more radical solutions to the problems they present.

Playing Ni No Kuni 2.  It is gorgeous to look at.  Not usually my kind of game, but it is so well crafted that it is sucking me in anyway.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #12930 on: November 22, 2018, 11:31:11 AM

Sim Settlements basically lets you plop down little zoning plots in a settlement area, modeled after old SimCity stuff. You pick what you want it to focus on, if it's a residential thing, or a commercial thing, some kind of happiness-boosting location, a defensive post, etc., and the settler assigned to it builds it up and each little plot can look different based on what plot design packs you have downloaded. If you prefer making your own large buildings, you can also place interior plots instead that are designed to be used inside places you build.

You can also go crazy and assign a companion or NPC as a settlement admin and have there be this huge long-term settlement building thing that does some elaborate building project, but it has issues.

It's extremely nice for getting a settlement up and running quickly while not looking godawful.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12931 on: November 26, 2018, 11:46:02 AM

In between family holiday stuff:

I started Okami HD but didn't get far.

I played several hours of RDR2 and maybe got far. I might be getting the hang of committing crimes without IMMEDIATELY being spotted and reported. I'm really bad at robbing people. I can't call it Rooty Tooty Cowboy Shooty anymore because there is practically no Rooty, very scarce Tooty, only occasionally see a Cowboy, and don't even Shooty very much. I'm basically a homeless, amoral carnival worker without the carnival.

Played more No Man's Sky. My current home planet changed from yellow to blue after a patch. I find this game is a great way to practice your patience.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12932 on: November 26, 2018, 12:03:59 PM

I'm plowing through Odyssey with Kassandra, the female character.

It's pretty good. I liked Origins a bit better for some reason. But I like Kassandra's dialog and attitude--basically she's a fairly amoral bruiser who has zero fucks to give about murdering half of Greece. Some amusingly semi-accurate things (like Socrates being really annoying), and they at least try not to have the default pro-Athens bias that most modern people have (by the time you get to this particular war, the Athenians are out-and-out imperialists; the Spartans are pretty much heroic anti-imperialists even with the slavery and baby-killing and so on). It's a relatively upbeat part of the war, too, even with plague and such. Kind of surprised that I haven't met Thucydides yet--I assume he's in the game somewhere.
Gimfain
Terracotta Army

Reply #12933 on: November 26, 2018, 12:17:34 PM

Finished pillars of eternity 2 a week ago, loved first one but now I'm really starting to hate rpg inspired by D&D where you decide on class and stat before you even put your foot inside the game. Its one of those games where I absolutely hate that I like optimizing my characters because I had to make build choices all the time which took me away from the game I was playing. It also became too slow once you reached the city areas. Felt like combat was way too fast as in everyone dealing high damage quickly. Survive the initial burst and you were often fine.

After playing poe1+dlc, tyranny and now poe2 its time for obsidian to make something fresh instead of another infinity engine type of rpg.

I'm playing divinity: original sin 2 now, its far better when it comes to build due to incremental stats and abilities. Also heard that you get a total respec after act 1 which means you don't have to start from scratch if you screwed things up. First area felt slow for the first few hours, it wasn't until you got around level 4-5 that it felt like the game got going.They made an improvement when it comes to CC abilities. Also like that characters and mobs have bit of survivability. I chose Lohse for my main and got fane, red prince and Ifan as companions.

I'm liking it so far.

When you ask for a miracle, you have to be prepared to believe in it or you'll miss it when it comes
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12934 on: November 26, 2018, 12:32:11 PM

I'm plowing through Odyssey with Kassandra, the female character.

It's pretty good. I liked Origins a bit better for some reason. But I like Kassandra's dialog and attitude--basically she's a fairly amoral bruiser who has zero fucks to give about murdering half of Greece. Some amusingly semi-accurate things (like Socrates being really annoying), and they at least try not to have the default pro-Athens bias that most modern people have (by the time you get to this particular war, the Athenians are out-and-out imperialists; the Spartans are pretty much heroic anti-imperialists even with the slavery and baby-killing and so on). It's a relatively upbeat part of the war, too, even with plague and such. Kind of surprised that I haven't met Thucydides yet--I assume he's in the game somewhere.

This matches my assessment as well. Origins was better put together, but Odyssey is so flipping enormous and feels more like a world than a series of zone theme parks like Origins. I tried nightmare difficulty but had to push down to hard, the conquest battles were nearly impossible for me on nightmare. Pacing of parts of the game is tied to the character build and that becomes problematic at times, as stealth builds just don’t have the tools needed to finish parts of required gameplay.

It also feels like some aspects of the game are going to require RMT to complete, and that sucks. Overall I’m digging it though, so much more fun to me than RDR2, which I’m going to uninstall I think.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12935 on: November 26, 2018, 06:20:17 PM

You definitely have to be able to switch to warrior gear for conquest battles--you cannot play them in assassin mode, much as that's my normal default.

(Amusingly, Kassandra says some very negative things about people who use poison while using it herself pretty often.)

Hunting Cultists is my favorite. But they're pretty easy to cheese if there's a really tall building nearby.
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12936 on: November 27, 2018, 03:54:12 PM

I'm mostly liking Odyssey, even accounting for my love of Greco-Roman settings. One thing that mildly annoys me is that I cannot pick a side in the war - I'd like to have Athens take the whole map, but there's no real mechanism for that, and it seems that eventually provinces flip back to their default "owner" after conquest battles. I have the same issues with invading the various forts and such - I don't want to assault the Athenians, but I do want to be a completionist.

After not playing an AC game since the original (and only briefly at that), I'm very happy with Odyssey.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12937 on: November 28, 2018, 04:27:32 AM

By the time of the war, the Athenians were kind of bad guys out 'there' in the Greek world, just not back at home while Pericles was still alive. I can dig stabbing me some Athenians. I have been waiting for the game to tell me that I have to take a side for some reason and it seems as if it never does.  I do appreciate that the game doesn't just do the obvious default of Athens good, Sparta bad.
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12938 on: November 28, 2018, 05:38:54 AM

Wait, what?  Ever since I was a child and first learned about this shit, it feels like everybody rah rah’s the totally bad ass Spartans and laughs at their victory over the scholarly weaklings in Athens.  Half the High Schools in my area had Spartans as the Mascots (mine was Trojan’s, so endless condom jokes), and nobody is ever ‘Athenians’.  I’m not sure I’ve ever seen Sparta portrayed in any work as anything other than the best of all city states in Greece, even in school.

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12939 on: November 28, 2018, 07:40:58 AM

Maybe Khaldun's never seen 300... :thinking:

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Teleku
Terracotta Army

https://i.imgur.com/mcj5kz7.png

Reply #12940 on: November 28, 2018, 08:11:03 AM

300 is obvious, but for me its way beyond that.  6th grade in the mid 90’s we had ancient history as one of our classes (first time having a true history class required to take).  Spartans were by far the heroes of all the time we spent on Ancient Greece in every way.  At the end, in a class project where we had to pick sides in the peloponnesian war and debate with each side why we thought our side was right, I was one of the only few arguing for Athens (I’m an imperialist nerd).  Everybody else was Sparta rah rah rah.  It’s felt that way since.  Again, no high school as Athenians as mascots, but thousands have Spartans.

This is entirely ancendotal I know, and Khaldun is in the educational field so I’m happy to yield to him having more expertise because of wider exposure.  But that’s been my experience since I first started studying history, and 300 has just cemented them in popular culture as the greatest thing to come out of Ancient Greece.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 08:14:27 AM by Teleku »

"My great-grandfather did not travel across four thousand miles of the Atlantic Ocean to see this nation overrun by immigrants.  He did it because he killed a man back in Ireland. That's the rumor."
-Stephen Colbert
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12941 on: November 28, 2018, 08:36:35 AM

As someone who actually has a degree in Old Greece shit, I concur. It always shocks people, for example, when I tell people that it took Sparta 30 years to beat Athens in the Peloponnesian war. Peopel have this idea of Spartans as some kind of race of Robocops. And when I tell them that it was not just "300 Spartans" but also a couple of thousand of Helliots and support staff they flat out don't believe me.

Hic sunt dracones.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12942 on: November 28, 2018, 09:48:16 AM

You just have to switch channels a bit to pick up the "Athens good, Sparta bad", namely, to the cultural/political register of things. For the last 150 years at least (and arguably all the way back to the late Roman Republic), European and American thinkers have tended to celebrate Periclean Athens as the best and most important part of Greek history, and the foundation stone of the West. Think of all the Periclean Athenian figures who are at least someone known to folks: Socrates, Sophocles, Euripides, Aristophanes, Pericles himself, etc.  Sure, for most folks, those names are easily mushed together with figures from other places (like Hippocrates or Herodotus) or other times (like Demosthenes or Pythagoras). The celebration of Athens at this point as being in a "Golden Age" is part of this pro-Athenian bent. What usually gets mentioned less is the fact that at the start of the Peloponnesian War, the Athenians were serious imperialists who were bullying the hell out of the rest of Greece (and the Persians)--they were a democracy at home but anything but outside the walls of Athens itself.

I get that the Spartans are heroically depicted via sports and in military contexts, but once you're beyond the naming of sports teams, Athens usually gets portrayed as the democratic, philosophical, intellectual 'good guys' and the Spartans as a bunch of overmuscled fascists. Consider that the best-known fan of the Spartans in the history of Western philosophy is Machiavelli and one of their biggest fans in modern political leadership was Hitler.  Aside from Leonidas and Menelaus, I would guess that your average educated person today couldn't name a single famous Spartan individual, while recognizing the names of at least 5, as many as 15, famous Athenians.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12943 on: November 28, 2018, 10:29:06 AM

Ya, the good old Delian League, where you paid Athens to protect you from Persia, or else. If people are interested, this website has a pretty good overview of the events that lead up to the war, though its written in a somewhat pro-Athenian way.

https://www.ancient.eu/Delian_League/
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 10:30:39 AM by Sir T »

Hic sunt dracones.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #12944 on: November 28, 2018, 06:56:54 PM

Still playing some Overwatch and The Division, proving my tastes have become shit as I get older.

The Division still has a surprising amount of players. The Survival mode is really great too if not kinda infuriating.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12945 on: November 29, 2018, 12:20:54 AM

At the time of the Peloponnesian war pretty much all of the greek "tribes" were cunts. There's no "Athenians good/Sparta bad" or vice versa. One side was only able to be scholarly because slaves and women did all the work and the others were a quasi fascist military dictatorship. They were all utter bastards.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12946 on: November 29, 2018, 01:14:11 AM

At the time of the Peloponnesian war pretty much all of the greek "tribes" were cunts. There's no "Athenians good/Sparta bad" or vice versa. One side was only able to be scholarly because slaves and women did all the work and the others were a quasi fascist military dictatorship. They were all utter bastards.

By that logic, probably every civilization prior to, I dunno, the 1960s is full of cunts.  And some of us seem to be desparately trying to return there!  Not saying you are wrong, just saying.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12947 on: November 29, 2018, 02:37:11 AM

Welcome to my world.

Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12948 on: November 29, 2018, 06:05:40 AM

I think more it is that the Greeks were really very unlike moderns in almost every way--seeing them as the roots of "the West" is straight-up ideology. Honestly, Achmamenid Persia was more like post-1450 European states on some level than the classical Greeks were. The Roman Republic and Empire are a different matter--there's some real connections between Western Rome and medieval Europe and hence to the modern era.

But games with historical themes don't typically try to represent past times as strange or difficult to understand. I get it: it's insanely hard to describe some of this even in prose, and a version of AC that tried to really depict "the past as a foreign country" would be zero fun to play. Though I suppose that's what RDR2 is trying to do in certain ways.
Sir T
Terracotta Army

Reply #12949 on: November 29, 2018, 06:31:26 AM

One of the complications of course is that the Romans themselves has a serious inferiority complex about the old Greeks and tried to emulate them, even to the extent of straight up copying the Greek religion from them and trying to claim that Rome was founded by Greeks leaving the Battle of Troy. So people feel that to really understand where the Romans were coming from you have to study the Greeks, and so here we are.

In fact the Greek city states had more in common with modern Afghanistan and the worst parts of the Middle east does not compute with people trying to romanticise them.

Hic sunt dracones.
Pages: 1 ... 368 369 [370] 371 372 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: