Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing? 0 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 445 Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, what're you playing?  (Read 2172781 times)
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12810 on: October 05, 2018, 01:49:42 AM

I always have to resist the urge to impulse buy these RPGs, because I sometimes find out that either I or the genre has moved on enough that I don't get much out of them.

Speaking of which, I am aware that I somehow own Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition.  I bought the original version when it came out, and thought it was pretty okay, but again...I don't know if it was a bit too open for my tastes or too buggy, too much cockpunching or whatever, but I only put about 10 hours in it.  I think for whatever reason they gave away the Enhanced Edition for free if you had the original.  So the question is....any comments on the Enhanced version?  I can feel I am talking myself into installing it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12811 on: October 05, 2018, 02:02:33 AM

The thing about enhanced editions (and this one specifically) is that they tend not to be groundbreaking or game-changing in any way.

If you hated or were meh about the original, you'll feel exactly the same way about the EE.

I got that new Divinity and 2 hours in it was such a carbon copy of previous versions it just wasn't worth my time.  I think what was meant to be groundbreaking there was the multiplayer, which, of course, I didn't get to work with.

That said, it's a free install costing you nowt but time.  May as well give it a bash ?

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12812 on: October 05, 2018, 03:08:21 AM

Yeah, I probably will.

And I don't recall exactly being "meh" about the original.  I think the problem was that for me, NWN was my first real intro into D&D gaming or rules, and it held your hand.  Things have only just gotten dumbed down even more in gaming over the years.  So then a game like Divinity comes along and calls for some thinking that was way out of the normal box I was used to playing in.  Not a bad thing, but a significant hurdle nonetheless.  Then something else inevitably comes along and my ADD kicks it.

But yeah, I think I just talked myself into it.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #12813 on: October 06, 2018, 06:59:38 AM

Pathfinder: Kingmaker is janky as fuck but it has been seriously scratching that theoricrafting itch I've had since NWN.

I am the .00000001428%
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12814 on: October 06, 2018, 09:49:25 PM

Any of you playing Pathfinder: Kingmaker may want to wait for 1.0.7 to be released.

Apparently 1.0.6 has a bug in it that will reapply stat bonuses from some items, and possibly skills, every time you save and load the game.

It should be fixed on 10/8.  In theory.  Who knows.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #12815 on: October 08, 2018, 12:50:23 AM

Yeah, I probably will.

And I don't recall exactly being "meh" about the original.  I think the problem was that for me, NWN was my first real intro into D&D gaming or rules, and it held your hand.  Things have only just gotten dumbed down even more in gaming over the years.  So then a game like Divinity comes along and calls for some thinking that was way out of the normal box I was used to playing in.  Not a bad thing, but a significant hurdle nonetheless.  Then something else inevitably comes along and my ADD kicks it.

But yeah, I think I just talked myself into it.

Installed it, started playing it with an Xbox controller, because why not give that a go, can always switch back.  After the first intro fight, I hit a shoulder button and the whole thing crashes.  Um, cool.  Might try again next weekend.  Probably not.

Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12816 on: October 08, 2018, 01:53:40 AM

I'll admit I got sucked in by the setting and bought the new AC: Odyssey game. It's decent so far, though combat is a hair clunky.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #12817 on: October 08, 2018, 06:49:29 AM

I'll admit I got sucked in by the setting and bought the new AC: Odyssey game. It's decent so far, though combat is a hair clunky.

Did you play the previous one, Origins? They revamped the combat from the first batch of games and it definitely felt clunky for the first 10 hours. I'm wondering if Odyssey feels different from Origins.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12818 on: October 08, 2018, 07:09:18 AM

Grabbed Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk over the weekend. It's...ok. I don't hate it, and I'm going to press on because it's a NIS title, hoping that something unlocks to make things click for me. I think I'm near the end of the gnome dungeon. Skills being tied to pacts is probably my biggest turnoff; choosing to use one skill instead of 2-3 attacks almost always seems like a bad call. This makes most battles just "Press X to autoattack" and seems to kill all character customization. I also wish I could make notes or something on the map, to remember which keys open which doors/chests. All in all it feels worse than Etrian Odyssey so far; hopefully a mid/late game unlock fixes things.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12819 on: October 08, 2018, 09:13:07 AM

Anyone got any particular views on Space Hulk tactics ?

Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #12820 on: October 08, 2018, 02:03:13 PM

I don't think I'd even heard of this until now.  I like that I can play as the Genestealers, but it's still a GW pc game, so I will wait for the Xmas sale on Steam, so the bugs can be worked out, and get it cheaper.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #12821 on: October 08, 2018, 02:37:51 PM

Don't buy them.

Completely unrelated, I started Prey and am ready to once again write a love letter to Arkane.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #12822 on: October 08, 2018, 03:50:12 PM

I don't think I'd even heard of this until now.  I like that I can play as the Genestealers, but it's still a GW pc game, so I will wait for the Xmas sale on Steam, so the bugs can be worked out, and get it cheaper.

I'd had a look myself from various sources and while it looks prettier and nicer than Ascension, the genestealer playstyle looked fairly naff, so I wasn't really sold on it anyway.

Alas.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #12823 on: October 09, 2018, 01:31:39 PM

Finally finished Breath of the Wild

Giving my Switch more <3 lately. Starting to play through Hollow Knight. Good lord this game has no mercy  awesome, for real

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #12824 on: October 09, 2018, 10:27:41 PM

Did you play the previous one, Origins? They revamped the combat from the first batch of games and it definitely felt clunky for the first 10 hours. I'm wondering if Odyssey feels different from Origins.

No, I haven't touched an AC game since the original. However, I cannot quite put my finger on it, but the combat still feels familiar for some reason - as if I'd played something similar recently.

I'll live - I love the setting enough to power through any combat oddness. It's fun so far.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12825 on: October 15, 2018, 08:34:23 AM

Still digging the heck out of Horizon Zero Dawn. Played the heck out of it last week on vacation. Coincided nicely that it was an 'unplug everything and ditch all responsibilities' week for me (unplugging not extended to entertainment devices, of course!).

Great immersion, I love games that are just fun to exist in. It feels a lot like a more consoley Elex. Better combat, less jank. I enjoyed Elex a lot, so this is a good thing.

I also developed a strong like of the PS4's standby implementation. Being able to turn on the device and be in the game in a few seconds, right where I left off, is pretty nifty.  And having it play nice with media apps (so the current game is suspended, rather than shut down) is extra nifty.

edit: oh, and the 1080p supersampling of the PS4 pro is legit. With all the grass, trees and stuff like bowstrings, not a damned jaggy anywhere to be seen. Nice!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 08:48:57 AM by Sky »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #12826 on: October 15, 2018, 10:26:18 AM

The PS4 is a marvel. If it had legit keyboard and mouse (and real support for the games that demand it) my PC could go out of commission for this generation.

MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #12827 on: October 15, 2018, 05:15:08 PM

The PS4 is a marvel. If it had legit keyboard and mouse (and real support for the games that demand it) my PC could go out of commission for this generation.

Yeah, I don't think I'd go that far, but it is a pretty nice box.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #12828 on: October 19, 2018, 12:19:13 PM

I'm about seven hours in to AC: Odyssey, which is about five hours further than I've gotten in to any previous AC game. It has its issues, but damn is it pretty.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #12829 on: October 19, 2018, 01:01:00 PM

I wrapped up the story on AC Origins the other night finally and the DLC is kinda.. meh. It's just more of the same, but being outside the context of the plot it just doesn't make sense.

So I might break my rule and buy Odyssey now to play, it looks fun. Then again, we're a week away from RDR2, so maybe I should hold and see how that pans out.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #12830 on: October 20, 2018, 05:06:16 PM

Wait, we are a week from RDR2? Really?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #12831 on: October 20, 2018, 05:20:13 PM

Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #12832 on: October 20, 2018, 05:36:23 PM

schild
Administrator

Reply #12833 on: October 20, 2018, 05:41:46 PM

no writer in gaming is:

a) important enough
b) paid enough
c) good enough

to put in more than 35 hours

that shit is stupid
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #12834 on: October 22, 2018, 03:36:54 PM

Well, that's what you do when you aren't good, you try hard and put in a hundred hours  Ohhhhh, I see.
Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12835 on: October 23, 2018, 03:53:04 AM

14.3 hours per day if you assume a 7 day work week. 16.6 hours per day if you assume a six day working week.
So including commutes thids will leave you literally no time to do anything except work. No grocery shopping no housekeeping/washing your clothes. I'd probably be too tired to even shower.
After a few weeks of this it would be a surprise if anyone were even able to form a coherent sentence let alone write any code or do any productive work.

keep in mind that this is Rockstar a company that has so much money that they could probably delay the release of RDR2 by a decade and still make a profit on it.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12836 on: October 23, 2018, 05:18:49 AM

As someone who just came off 14 hour days, 7 days a week for about a month, I can attest that it's pretty rough. Without my wife to take care of those chores Jeff mentioned I'm not sure how I would have managed, and that's with only a 10 minute commute. Note: I do not work in game/software development.

Jeff Kelly
Terracotta Army

I'm an apathetic, hedonistic, utilitarian, nihilistic existentialist.

Reply #12837 on: October 23, 2018, 07:45:31 AM

The last time I had to do something like that for a prolonged period of time me and my colleague got to a point were we were unable to drive back to our hotel and to the dinner reservation we had made with the team. Even though it was the same location we had been going to for the last week.

We couldn't even remember the address or names, were unable to talk coherently or comprehend how the car GPS worked and at one point stopped and took an half hour break at the side of the road because we were absolutely unable to do any higher brain functions let alone operate a motor vehicle.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #12838 on: October 23, 2018, 09:32:00 AM

I once did a month-long stretch of 18-hour days, 7-days a week culminating in a work Friday that started at 8 am that Friday and ended when I told my bosses "this site ain't going up today" on Saturday morning at 11 am. I was literally falling asleep at my keyboard in the midst of FTPing HTML files to the server and had no mental capacity to do anything. It's lucky that I did not crash my car on the way home where I promptly slept for 8 hours straight, woke for a few hours then started again at noon that Sunday until about 2 am the next day.

No human should have to work those hours doing anything. It is fucking wasted time after the 12th straight hour or so.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12839 on: October 23, 2018, 11:19:15 AM

Still delving into the Labyrinth of Refrain, and then lots of Soulcalibur 6 which turned out amazing if you are a fan of the series. Lots of single player stuff, cool character creation tool, and of course multiplayer is great.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #12840 on: October 23, 2018, 11:33:32 AM

Falc, what platform do you have Soulcalibur on? Thinking about getting it on PC but I'm not sure how it will play.

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #12841 on: October 23, 2018, 01:19:55 PM

Ps4. That's the standard for competitive gaming. Considering going to EVO in 2019 (as a tourist mostly, but still).

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #12842 on: October 24, 2018, 05:42:57 AM

The snow in the Horizon Zero Dawn DLC  Love Letters
Soulflame
Terracotta Army

Reply #12843 on: October 24, 2018, 08:00:43 AM

I really should get around to playing the HZD DLC.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #12844 on: October 24, 2018, 08:19:20 AM

Spent about 12 hours last weekend determining the fates of the 60 folks who departed on the Obra Dinn, none of whom were alive on board when the ship returned to port.

From Lucas Pope (Papers, Please), Return of the Obra Dinn is a game of deduction, providing you with a journal with crew and passenger manifest, route map, deck plans, sketches of people, and a magical pocket watch which allows you to observe the moment of a person's depth.  Your job: determine the identity and fate of all 60 crew and passengers.  The game gives you all the information you need and I highly recommend avoiding spoilers or walkthroughs.

On top of all that, it's presented in glorious 1bpp stippled rendering, reminiscent of classic macintosh games (but rendered realtime), which is nifty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILolesm8kFY

https://obradinn.com/
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 [367] 368 369 ... 445 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: So, what're you playing?  
Jump to: