Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:29:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Comic Books 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Comic Books  (Read 14159 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

on: May 08, 2004, 11:47:43 AM

So, in light of the CoH release, I've found myself somewhat interested in comic books again. I haven't kept up since the early 90's, when I was about 12 or 13 (about the same time I picked up a guitar, started smoking cigarettes, and got laid), so I don't know what the hell to look for these days.

Was a big Surfer fan, sometimes X-Men, and the Punisher. Any suggestions? Seems like a gazillion different X-Men versions out there. Is "Uncanny" still the main one? Or is there a good compilation of the last 10 years or so? I quit reading around the time Gambit came out.

I did pick up "Preacher" though...Man, it fuckin' rocks!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #1 on: May 08, 2004, 12:16:11 PM

Preacher is great.  All 9 volumes of it.

Top Ten vols. 1 and 2  by Alan Moore are also very worth picking up.  Very funny, beautiful art, and a great concept of the daily goings-on at a police station in a city populated entirely by superheroes.  Every woman I've ever dated has been forced to read Top Ten and Preacher at some point, even though none of them have been into comics, and almost all of them have loved both.

Astro City, by Kurt Busiek, is another great series and in particular, the Astro City: Confession TPB.  You want inspiration to make some great CoH characters, look no further.  Kurt also did some great work on a Marvel series called Thunderbolts, which involved the Masters of Evil posing as a new superhero team as a scheme to take over the world until several of them got addicted to the fame and respect of being heroes.  Harder to track down as most of it has never been collected in TPB form.

Hellboy is also good stuff.  Better than the movie would have you believe.  Not that I didn't like the movie, but the comic is just a lot better.

Supreme Power, by JMS I already mentioned in another topic.  You can also pick up the first two volumes of Rising Stars but I'd wait for him to release the 3rd and final one.  It's about just over a hundred superhumans who have grown up together (a mysterious flash over the town of Peterson gave every child in utero superpowers), and the events set in motion when one starts killing the others off.

Non-superhero related, pick up  Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, and Squee (which is where my avatar comes from), by Jhonen Vasquez.

As far as X-men goes... never been a big fan, but I'm going to be checking out Astonishing X-Men, which I believe starts this month, as it will be written by none other than Buffy and Angel creator Joss Whedon who will be doing a 12 issue run.  Also you might want to start picking up Grant Morrison's recent run of New X-Men starting with "New X-Men Vol. 1: E is for Extinction".  I've only read a little bit of it (like I said, not an X-Men fan) but it's supposed to be the best X-Men stuff released in the last 10 years.  You can get reviews and catch up on a lot of the X related stuff you missed here http://thexaxis.com/.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #2 on: May 08, 2004, 12:18:36 PM

Quote from: Velorath

Non-superhero related, pick up  Johnny The Homicidal Maniac, and Squee (which is where my avatar comes from), by Jhonen Vasquez.

Everytime you post I think about getting out my JTHM comics and re-reading them.. man I love Jhonen Vasquez..

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Rodent
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: May 08, 2004, 12:31:23 PM

Quote from: cevik
Everytime you post I think about getting out my JTHM comics and re-reading them.. man I love Jhonen Vasquez..

He rocks. =)

Hrm no love for Lobo here in the comic thread? Or Judge Dread?

Wiiiiii!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #4 on: May 08, 2004, 12:59:51 PM

Great, thanks man! I'm going to the shop to check some out now. Guess I'll start out with Top Ten, Astro City, and JTHM.

BTW: The Preacher I bought was "Until the End of the World". Is that Vol. 1 of 9? There isn't a number on it.
Anonymous

Email
Reply #5 on: May 08, 2004, 01:00:39 PM

Sandman.  Gaiman > all.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6 on: May 08, 2004, 10:30:21 PM

"Until the End of the World" is vol. 2.  In order they are:

1.  Gone to Texas
2.  Until the End of the World
3.  Proud Americans
4.  Ancient History (which collects the Saint of Killers mini, the Arseface oneshot, and The Good Old Boys one shot)
5.  Dixie Fried
6.  War in the Sun
7.  Salvation
8.  All Hells A-Coming
9.  Alamo
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #7 on: May 09, 2004, 07:45:24 AM

Quote from: Velorath
"Until the End of the World" is vol. 2.  In order they are:

1.  Gone to Texas
2.  Until the End of the World
3.  Proud Americans
4.  Ancient History (which collects the Saint of Killers mini, the Arseface oneshot, and The Good Old Boys one shot)
5.  Dixie Fried
6.  War in the Sun
7.  Salvation
8.  All Hells A-Coming
9.  Alamo

Ah OK...I happened to pick up Gone to Texas yesterday...Didn't know where Until the End fit in. Also picked up a hardcover of Astro City (Life in the Big City I think), and JTHM: Director's Cut. No Top Ten yet.
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 01:21:43 PM

I'd suggest reading by author.  Frank Miller, Mike Mignola, and Neil Gaiman all have good stuff.

On a book title basis, I'll suggest Scud, Kingdom Come, Bone, and Mage (2).
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 11:36:39 PM

Quote from: stray
Ah OK...I happened to pick up Gone to Texas yesterday...Didn't know where Until the End fit in. Also picked up a hardcover of Astro City (Life in the Big City I think), and JTHM: Director's Cut. No Top Ten yet.

Top Ten might be a little harder to find as it's not nearly as well known as Preacher or Astro City.  Amazon.com has both volumes, as I sure various other online sites do.  As much as I'd like to support local comic shops, there really aren't any around me any more.

Also just remembered a few other tpbs worth picking up:

"The Walking Dead:  Days Gone Bye" by Robert Kirkman just came out last month collecting the first few issues of Image's new zombie comic book.  Good stuff and worth reading if you're into zombie horror.

Any of the reprinted Roy Thomas written Conan stuff.  Essential Conan if you can find it, but it has also recently been reprinted in 4 vols. although I'm not fond of the digital color that was added.

Any of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo, which is perhaps one of the most brilliantly crafted comics of all time.  Hard to believe I can say that about a samurai rabbit who did a guest shot on the old TMNT cartoon.  With around 18 books or so though, you might be a little reluctant to get into it .  If you do, pick up the first two books.  The first book introduces a few of the major characters but the storytelling really picks up in the second one.  If I'm not mistaken the first book mostly collects the stories from before Usagi got his own comic, which is why that book doesn't seem as cohesive as the rest.

And given Haemish's avatar I can't believe I left out "Fun With Milk & Cheese", by Evan Dorkin.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 06:25:18 AM

Speaking of Preacher.
I held Garth Ennis' take on Punisher  (Born) in a bookstore the other day. Unfortunately it was a bookstore in  Cannes and it was translated into French, which I don't speak at all.
I've never been a great Punisher fan but like Ennis a lot. Has anybody read it?

And I love old Dredd (sometimes by Ennis) and Lobo (which he also briefly touched).Alan Grant and Simon Bisley are also favourites of mine, so that's another reason for liking both series.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 10:08:00 AM

I've read #1 of the Ennis' Punisher run, and it looked good. Normal, hard-boiled take on the character.

The Preacher series was fucking awesome. One of these days I need to pick up the TPB's of the stuff I don't have of that.

Sandman was good, but it lost a bit of its shine because it became the posterchild for deconstructionist goth angst Vampire-wannabe twats. It's still incredible writing and artwork.

For X-Men, the Grant Morrison stuff is hands down the best stuff since the old days of Claremont/Byrne/Paul Smith.

Pick up any of the current run of Daredevil Vol. 2. Anything by Frank Miller, especially the Sin City, Martha Washington, or Daredevil things. Another good one that may be in TPB is 300, a historical series set in Ancient Greece.

If you have never read it, Alan Moore's Watchmen and Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns are musts.

I've recently gotten into downloading BitTorrent's of entire comic runs, to the point of having filled up about 10-15 GB's worth of stuff I'd never buy or can't find in TPB.

Aslan
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 10:15:58 AM

Born is okay, it's an interesting take on the true birth of the Punisher in Vietnam.  Ennis' first mini series run on the Punisher, which starts with Welcome Back, Frank, is awesome.  Then there were thirty something books of the regular series, with some really good books and some awfully shitty ones as well.  Wolverine getting a shotgun blast to be balls and run over by Frank in a steamroller was quite amusing.
Recently, they started the Max version of the series, where Ennis can say fuck and cunt, and believe me, he does.  Actually, it seems like every other word is the F-bomb, which isn't necessarily bad, but I find it almost overused.  The current storyline involves the return of Micro, and it's not too bad.  Overall, I enjoy Ennis' take on the Punisher.  
I am also reading Supreme Power, Batman, and a few of the Xbooks.  The Xbooks have been pretty shitty of late, with Morrison's run being about the only bright spot.  But I am hoping the revamp, including Whedon on the Astonishing X-men, will bring things back around.
But the best book out there, for my money, has to be Y-The Last Man.  A strange illness or virus has basically killed every single being on the planet with the Y chromosome with the exception of a man and his male monkey.  It's under DC's Vertigo line and three trade paperbacks are available for about 15 bucks a pop.  Definitely worth a read.
WayAbvPar

Reply #13 on: May 10, 2004, 10:16:19 AM

Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns

Talk about a classic. I would put that in the category of literature. On a related note, rumor has it that Batman Begins is at least loosely based on Miller's Year One, so hope springs eternal. At least Joel Schumacher is nowhere near the project...

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2004, 11:20:27 AM

Quote from: WayAbvPar
Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns

Talk about a classic.

That's an understatement.  Although I'd avoid the sequel to Dark Knight Returns.  It wasn't good.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: May 10, 2004, 02:17:43 PM

Batman begins also has Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman. On the other hand it has Michael Caine as Alfred. I've seen a pic of Christian in costume and a few comments:

Doesn't look like rubber
No nipples
Sort of a slate gray and black...

The set he was in also had a very dark look to it. It looked almost like a setpiece out of a noir movie rather than a super hero movie. Of course, we're talking one shot, so don't get too excited. However, as long as Joel Schumacher is nowhere nearby it might be alright.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
schild
Administrator

Reply #16 on: May 11, 2004, 01:25:07 AM

Clive Owen is the closest I can think of. But he doesn't look like Bale, and he's not quite as good as Bill Murray.

I'm speaking specifically of his work in Croupier. If someone responds to this post and mentions his other movies I get a group of dogs to gangrape their great grandmother.
schild
Administrator

Reply #17 on: May 11, 2004, 01:27:54 AM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
The set he was in also had a very dark look to it. It looked almost like a setpiece out of a noir movie rather than a super hero movie.

Batman was always more about the noir than the hero. Gotham City is the noir version of Superman's Metropolis. Batman's women are the femme fatale variants of Superman's Lois Lane. Batman's connections are all private underground connections rather than Clark Kent's more open relationship. Bruce Wayne had a horribly noirish past while Superman had a wonderful childhood.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #18 on: May 11, 2004, 01:58:22 AM

The set he was in also had a very dark look to it. It looked almost like a setpiece out of a noir movie rather than a super hero movie.

Considering who's directing it, I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how it turns out. I like Noir, so I have no problems with that, but Bale doesn't really impress me. I liked Burton's choice in not casting a leading man type. Otherwise, you just get "Batman", and then "Bruce Wayne" kinda takes a backseat. Then again, a good script changes everything.

Too bad there isn't an actor around that looks like Christian Bale, but behaves like Bill Murray.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #19 on: May 11, 2004, 02:05:34 AM

Clive Owen is the closest I can think of. But he doesn't look like Bale, and he's not quite as good as Bill Murray.

I'm speaking specifically of his work in Croupier. If someone responds to this post and mentions his other movies I get a group of dogs to gangrape their great grandmother.

Oops..Was doing an edit of my post, and now you're replying above me.

Actually Clive Owen is a pretty good choice. The only other person I can think of who could pull it off is Johnny Depp, but he'd never do it. Lol, the guy could probably play Batman, the Joker, Superman, Lex Luthor, and Lois Lane all in the same movie...and be convincing.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: May 11, 2004, 07:09:50 AM

I'd pay to see that.  It would be a comedy, but a good one.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: May 11, 2004, 07:34:09 AM

Quote from: stray

I like Noir, so I have no problems with that, but Bale doesn't really impress me. I liked Burton's choice in not casting a leading man type.

I think Burton chose Keaton because he'd seen the dark side to him during their previous movie together. As for Christian Bale, I've been a fan of his ever since Equilibrium, a low budget sci-fi movie with a not-so-subtle message that I still found enjoyable enough to buy on DvD. (It's basically a modern take on Farenheit 451, with action.)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #22 on: May 11, 2004, 08:06:55 AM

American Psyhco told me all I needed to know about Bale's ability to play both Bruce Wayne AND Batman. Look at his portrayal in Shaft 2000. He looks good and comfortable in an Armani suit, and he can shift from flighty to hard as a rock in an instant.

daveNYC
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: May 11, 2004, 08:55:40 AM

Quote from: schild
Batman was always more about the noir than the hero. Gotham City is the noir version of Superman's Metropolis.

I had heard that Gotham was NYC on a miserable winter night, while Metropolis was NYC during a bright summer day.

The Batman/Superman dynamic is another reason why Dark Knight Returns rocks.
WayAbvPar

Reply #24 on: May 11, 2004, 09:24:38 AM

The Batman/Superman dynamic is another reason why Dark Knight Returns rocks.

Superman will forever be the 'big blue schoolboy' to me.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #25 on: May 12, 2004, 03:45:07 AM

For comics:

Alan Moore's been mentioned, but I'll thow another vote in for him.

Wildstorm Studios (DC imprint) does some good work. Stormwatch: Team Achilles and Sleeper are both great. Planetary (whenever Warren Ellis deigns to release an issue) is fantastic. Haven't read any of Wildcats 3.0, but it's on my list to check out. The Authority has its moments, but the original run (Warren Ellis again) was great but may have dated.

If you've got the inclination, collecting all 28 volumes of Lone Wolf and Cub is something worth doing imo. A great japanese series re-released recently by Dark Horse Comics, it tracks a disgraced executioner (with three-year-old son) on his path to revenge.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #26 on: May 14, 2004, 08:33:45 PM

Shit, I've spent over 200 bucks on comics in the past 2 weeks.

Just bought Dark Knight Returns and Year One..These came out around the time I lost interest too, but I figure it's necessary readin' now, huh? Also bought Marvels, because I liked Astro City so much...And a Ghost Rider compilation today.

Gotta be honest though: I didn't really like JTHM much...Not because I was offended or anything. It's intelligent, but a little too juvenile and one-dimensional to be funny or entertaining. Tess was a pretty cool character though. I think I'd rather see a more serious version of Johnny...I'd probably laugh then ;)
Arnold
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: May 15, 2004, 03:18:16 PM

I need to dig out my old box of comics.  I never collected them long, but for a year or two in the early 90s, I followed a couple of series.  Those things got damn expensive for a kid with no job!
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #28 on: June 13, 2004, 06:21:35 AM

Well, I finally finished reading all of Preacher...Pissed me off.

I loved it at first, but the ending just ruined it for me. I'm not expecting Bertrand Russell or anything, but if he's going to attack Christianity, the least he could do is not be so fuckin' juvenile about it. Up until that point it was an "adult" comic.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #29 on: June 14, 2004, 09:13:30 AM

I haven't finished all of Preacher, so don't spoil it for me.

I did read all of Rising Stars. What is it that is holding this book up? There are supposed to be 3 issues left and Top Cow hasn't published them? Why? Great book, kind of like JMS does the X-Men through the looking glass of Watchmen. Damn good read.

Grelf

Email
Reply #30 on: June 14, 2004, 01:00:47 PM

Transmetropolitan.

Hunter Thompson in the future. GREAT fucking series.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #31 on: June 14, 2004, 01:20:22 PM

Quote from: HaemishM
I haven't finished all of Preacher, so don't spoil it for me.

I did read all of Rising Stars. What is it that is holding this book up? There are supposed to be 3 issues left and Top Cow hasn't published them? Why? Great book, kind of like JMS does the X-Men through the looking glass of Watchmen. Damn good read.

There were a few disputes between JMS and Top Cow that needed ironing out before JMS would finish up the scripts for the last three issues  Last I heard a few weeks ago he only has one more left to turn in now, and even that one may be turned in by now.  I haven't heard too much in the way of specifics as to what was going on between JMS and Top Cow, although I've heard that part of it had to do with the movie deal for Rising Stars.
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 14, 2004, 02:29:47 PM

Do you guys generally like JMS authored comics?  I have been considering starting up one of his story arcs coming up in his current amazing spiderman run.  I have been considering it for awhile, but lately he has been on a weird mystical kick that just does not fit with spiderman in the least.  Looks like 509 or 510 (I forget) will be the first of a 6 parter in this new arc.

You guys probably look down on spiderman as a comic, and it is cheesy, I will admit, but it is just one of those guilty pleasures from my childhood.

So, is JMS generally a good comic author?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #33 on: June 14, 2004, 02:32:16 PM

I think so, but I'm a JMS fanboi from B5 days. I haven't read or seen anything by him I didn't like. Rising Stars is good, and even though he kind of went metaphysical/mystical on Spider-Man, I've heard nothing but good things about that run. I'm not a big Spidey fan, myself, but I've considered trying to get the JMS stuff just to read it.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: June 14, 2004, 05:15:34 PM

Quote from: Alluvian

You guys probably look down on spiderman as a comic, and it is cheesy, I will admit, but it is just one of those guilty pleasures from my childhood.

I don't. I've been wanting to get more cheesy superhero type comics, but I'm not sure where to start. I've picked up some X-Men, Punisher, Daredevil, and Batman stuff, but those are probably the least cheesy of the bunch. Any suggestions on Spider-Man? Maybe Superman too?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Comic Books  
Jump to: