Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:13:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 632581 times)
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #735 on: January 16, 2008, 10:22:30 AM

Definitely.  A good all-purpose dynamic is just what you need.  Someone at my school described the 57 as the 'swiss army knife of microphones.'
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #736 on: January 16, 2008, 05:06:47 PM

I just have two mics:

ATM41HE
AT4033a/SM -- basically that one, altho mine is the SM version, somewhat older.

I use the ATM41 for most things, including miking the amp, if I need to.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #737 on: January 17, 2008, 06:06:39 AM

I've only got the one Shure SM58, the ol' battleaxe. Been meaning to pick up a couple 57s, that'll wait a while though.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #738 on: January 17, 2008, 10:46:37 AM

I have a 58 and a 57.  I was unaware that any other mics existed outside of the studio!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #739 on: January 17, 2008, 10:59:03 AM

According to the specs on their site, the 4033 can really take a sonic beating!  145 dB SPL is pretty high for a condenser.

I'm planning on picking up some 57s myself.  zZsounds.com is running a pretty sweet deal on them, packaging in a 20-foot XLR cable and a boom stand.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #740 on: January 17, 2008, 11:00:46 AM

I'm planning on picking up some 57s myself.  zZsounds.com is running a pretty sweet deal on them, packaging in a 20-foot XLR cable and a boom stand.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I may have to grab one with that deal. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Raph
Developers

Reply #741 on: January 18, 2008, 10:52:17 AM

According to the specs on their site, the 4033 can really take a sonic beating!  145 dB SPL is pretty high for a condenser.

I use this mic a lot less than the other simply because it is so damn sensitive. I mean, I am not in a studio situation -- I have zero soundproofing. If I turn up the gain to max, I'll get noises from the house next door. With it turned up even 1/3rd or so, I usually pick up most of the house. Gives a lot of "space" to the recordings, though.
Raph
Developers

Reply #742 on: January 20, 2008, 07:56:41 PM

Phildo
Contributor

Reply #743 on: January 21, 2008, 02:07:17 AM

I dig what you did with the cello.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #744 on: January 22, 2008, 07:57:58 AM

Just bought the Fender 65 reverb amp. Now I've got to find my guitar tone again. Blah. I like the amp, but it's such a new thing I'm back out of the comfort zone /again/, heh. It's louder than what I'm used to, since I've mostly been playing direct GT6 -> console -> headphones or GT6 -> Pignose. So now I have to re-learn how to play through a loud amp, it reacts very nicely to my pick attack, but I attack like a mofo in some sections and less in others, so it's uneven and can be unexpectedly loud, brings out a lot of stuff I never even knew I did (smacking strings percussively and whatnot). It's interesting and will be good once I get used to the volume and dial in my tone. Feel sorry for my landlord during the interim while I suck on it!  ACK!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 06:42:36 AM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #745 on: January 22, 2008, 08:05:16 AM

Ah, I didn't hear you bought that...

Is it the Deluxe Reverb? Because that shouldn't be too loud.

If you're talking Super Reverb, then yeah... It took me awhile to learn my lesson, but I won't get anything over 30 watts anymore. Can't get the ideal use out of amps like that. The deluxe's wattage would be great for me, but I don't really dig it's brightness (different story with Fender guitars than it is with your SG).
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #746 on: January 28, 2008, 06:54:46 AM

65 Deluxe Reverb. It's not that it is LOUD, it's that I've been playing through headphones or a Pignose, as I said.

Still adjusting to the way the amp reacts to my pick attack, but overall I'm more than pleased with it. I still have to use my GT6 when I'm playing at low volumes, but when I can turn it up it's wicked. High end is still a bit thin and I'm trying to dial it in because I love a real sharp trebly sound to replicate some of the Muddy telecaster sound. The thinness does work when playing stuff that was recorded on a strat, I was doing some Buddy Guy rhythm lines from a Jr Wells recording and it was nice. But when I crank it up with the other pickup, nice warm sound, almost perfect.

Getting a lesson on using the volume and tone knobs, though. In the old days I always used pedals to control that stuff (not to mention I had shit guitars). With the bass I did use the controls for tone, but volume was mostly in the finger attack.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #747 on: January 28, 2008, 09:35:28 AM

Best way to get a Muddy sound is to get a Tele! There's a Muddy model actually, which is about the sweetest thing Fender does that's Mex made. Only problem is that it's only in red. :\

Picking real close to the bridge could help too. Most tele players do that anyways .
« Last Edit: January 28, 2008, 09:38:33 AM by Stray »
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #748 on: January 28, 2008, 11:30:42 AM

I own a mexican tele and it's the biggest piece of garbage I've ever laid hands on.  I immediately replaced the pickup and tuning pegs and it's just bearable.  The Schecter S-1 I just picked up blows it out of the water and it's not a particularly great guitar. 

Were I to get another Tele, it would have to be a standard.   

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #749 on: January 28, 2008, 11:42:26 AM

I'll take any donations, but another guitar isn't in the works for quite some time. A Tele is on the list, along with a maple neck Strat and a Gretsch. Right now the SG is about perfect for electric duties, though. My cheap Cort that I have set up for slide in open G is a single coil, though. Might be worth dropping a decent single coil in there and updating the electrics with something cheap but durable. Wouldn't want to put a lot of money into it, because it's a crappy guitar.

Saving for a honeymoon in Ireland now that I have an amp. Still thinking about a drum machine or something, though.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #750 on: January 29, 2008, 08:14:41 AM

Bah, that version of 19 Years Old I posted took most of the criticism levied here into account and nobody posted a thing. Bah, I say! Not really intentionally changed due to the criticisms, but I figured I'd share it because it was naturally similar to the stuff you guys were saying. The vocals were much more comfortable for me, as it's one of my favorite tunes. Rhythm was done on an electric, bass was more traditional, yada. 

DRILLING AND MANLINESS

It was recorded before I got the amp, so it's all direct into the recorder, guitar via the Boss GT6. Thinking of getting a little pre-amp for the vocals, the phantom power in the recorder is a little weak and dry.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #751 on: January 29, 2008, 08:20:01 AM

Where the heck is the link?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #752 on: January 29, 2008, 08:37:01 AM

Took it down after a week. Time friggin Warner only give me 5 measly MB, not enough to fit a 5 minute song. The last couple songs I've leeched on a library host :) Shh.
Raph
Developers

Reply #753 on: January 29, 2008, 04:35:06 PM

It was an MP4. So I downloaded it, and found I couldn't play it without doing some other download... See, classic MMOG conversion funnel: persuade the mto download, then to log in, then to comment. Low conversion ratio. ;)

It's still sitting here on my desktop though. I'll download the codec at some point, I promise!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #754 on: January 30, 2008, 06:15:07 AM

Don't you people use iTunes? Heathens!

awesome, for real

(I'll remember to mp3 it next time, maybe)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #755 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:50 PM

Good band I think you might like Sky. Old timey swing/acoustic/punk

Old Number 7
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #756 on: February 04, 2008, 11:52:20 AM

I'd say more punky bluegrass.  I catch Devil Makes Three at the Tractor Tavern with a frequency.  The bassist is money.  She's about 4 feet shorter than her upright, but rips it.

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #757 on: February 04, 2008, 12:13:09 PM

Oh, I meant country/nashville swing. My bad. A lot of fast waltzy 7th chord stuff.

Really liking them though. Would be nice to see them, but it doesn't look like they tour outside of cali too much.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #758 on: February 04, 2008, 01:02:42 PM

They go up and down the west coast, but yeah.  Not so much east of the rockies.

Never Learn and Tow are classic songs.  Good times.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #759 on: February 04, 2008, 01:09:52 PM

Also, possibly the most frightening band I've heard since NWA. If you know what I mean? Attitude, balls, sincerity, belly of the beast shit. Ain't much of that goin' around anymore.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #760 on: February 05, 2008, 05:39:01 AM

Y'know, I'm just now realizing how cool Steve Stevens was. Those muffled riffs were slicker than anything other 80's hard rock guitarists were doing at the time. Plus, he could make his guitar sound like a laser gun (Rebel Yell solo). I could go on about Billy Idol himself, but I somehow ignored Stevens all these years.

Enjoy it again for the millionth time

Agree or disagree?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #761 on: February 05, 2008, 06:53:12 AM

Billy Idol taught me to sing. There, I said it. Well, not him exactly. I owned all his albums. They looked funny with all the Mercyful Fate, Slayer, Venom, etc.

Rebel Yell was a great rhythm piece bum JANK JANK JANK. Damned synths, though.

I really like that Devil Makes Three stuff. Sounds like a lot of stuff I've been listening to lately, except about 80 years later :) Like a jazzy piedmont sound.

Funny you mention balls in music, one of the things I want to bring to our local blues society is a set of nuts. Those white guys are so fuckin' pasty. As Big Bill said, them blues is s'posed to be barrelhoused! I'm trying to get them to bring in Otis Taylor, they're bringing in these lame pasty acts. Good guitars, but blues is about more than a good guitar line and cheesy blues band imo. Then again, I'm biased as my favorite signers are the hollerers...which is where the goddamned genre came from in the first place. Robert Cray can suck my dick.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #762 on: February 05, 2008, 08:19:56 AM

Y'know, I'm just now realizing how cool Steve Stevens was. Those muffled riffs were slicker than anything other 80's hard rock guitarists were doing at the time. Plus, he could make his guitar sound like a laser gun (Rebel Yell solo). I could go on about Billy Idol himself, but I somehow ignored Stevens all these years.

If you haven't heard the music he made with Terry Bozzio and Tony Levin, you're missing his best stuff:

http://www.magnacarta.net/audiofiles/bozziolevinstevens/473_sitdangerous-3.mp3

http://www.magnacarta.net/guitar/songs/4.mp3

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #763 on: February 05, 2008, 08:57:28 AM

Funny you mention balls in music, one of the things I want to bring to our local blues society is a set of nuts.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-pop-up/B00004WFCY002006/ref=mu_sam_wma_002_006

Those white guys are so fuckin' pasty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

For blues I'm mostly listening to R.L. Burnside and Sonny Boy Williamson.  No fucking around there.  It makes me very  Sad Panda when people think the blues is a 15 minute guitar solo over a 12-bar rhythm.  I'm looking at you, Stevie Ray Vaughan.  Yeah, I said it.  Jerking your whammy bar while you play relentless blue notes and make the "O" face is not the blues. 

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #764 on: February 05, 2008, 09:43:28 AM

Can't hear the amazon link, it must be the old WMA engine they used. Doesn't play nice with safari. The new embedded player works fine. Given your second link...  awesome, for real

For blues, I listen to tons of stuff. Critically I've been listening to Broonzy, Son House (thinking of covering American Defense), Blind Willie Johnson for the acoustic guys. Electric mostly Junior Wells, Howlin' Wolf, Muddy (always Muddy, Our Lord and Saviour), and some Peter Green-era Mac. I like both the guitar solo kind of stuff and the old barrelhouse acoustic stuff. But I feel the former is lacking if you don't know the latter.

SRV is ok by me, not my favorite. But I do get annoyed (as do most fans of older blues) when he is considered synonymous with blues. Buddy Guy called someone an ignorant motherfucker at a show I saw because Buddy was telling stories about the old timers and someone shouted out SRV. "SRV. SRV? You ignorant motherfucker. SRV was good and all, but sit there and learn about the fuckin' blues" was about how it went.

By Sonny, do you mean Rice Miller or the original? I've got a great Rice Miller album (King Biscuit Time) where you can hear the band hanging out between songs. It's really good stuff. But our local best harp player (who also digs the old and new) insists I get a disc of original Sonny Boy, who is his biggest influence along with Little Walter and Jr Wells.
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #765 on: February 05, 2008, 10:57:57 AM

The second.  I think it's hilarious he basically jacked another guy's name.  That's extra bluesy.  I haven't heard much of the original.  I keep meaning to get into Robert Johnson (what it's possible to get of him) and Son House.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd60nI4sa9A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jN5vqEyV7g

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #766 on: February 05, 2008, 11:27:28 AM

Just get the Complete Recordings of Johnson, he didn't record much. I wasn't very erudite when I got my Johnson disc and it's only like 16 of the 41 he recorded. Both he and Son are great. Son influenced both Johnson and Muddy, so he's got a special place in history even beyond being a great musician with a classic tortured preacher/bluesman schism.

Blind Willie is on the Voyager spacecraft with this amazing tune: http://youtube.com/watch?v=BNj2BXW852g Here's one of Willie with his wife that showcases the vocal style (which I really dig): http://youtube.com/watch?v=7R8RuOagzck

Junior Wells doing one of my favorites with Otis Rush on geetar: http://youtube.com/watch?v=47djAb6jVJk

Muddy Waters used to say you couldn't play the blues too slow. Here he demonstrates the concept quite well with Junior and Buddy backing: http://youtube.com/watch?v=oiEBopPts1E
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #767 on: February 05, 2008, 03:16:38 PM

If you haven't heard the music he made with Terry Bozzio and Tony Levin, you're missing his best stuff:

http://www.magnacarta.net/audiofiles/bozziolevinstevens/473_sitdangerous-3.mp3

http://www.magnacarta.net/guitar/songs/4.mp3

Those are cool, but it's his rhythm I like the most (the "bum JANK JANK JANK" that Sky mentioned). The second track there kind of has it at first though.

Billy Idol taught me to sing. There, I said it.

Same here. I'm a baritone, and can just growl through my throat, so singers like that are natural fit. When I was real young though, he was like the "ultimate rockstar" to me... Even if there's only a handful of good songs. The dude's got a little bit punk, new wave, glam, Elvis and Morrison crooning, and the coolest hair EVER.

My favorite bluesman is Otis Rush. I've said that before in this thread, I think. And of course, Robert Johnson.

Keith will always be my favorite "pasty" blues player. Even if he's just mostly rhythm.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 03:47:03 PM by Stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #768 on: February 05, 2008, 04:53:31 PM

Just to continue on my Steve Stevens kick... Can any of you do that Rebel Yell intro? Where he's tapping the 10th fret on the b and e strings, but playing that little walk line in b at the same time? I'm having trouble... I know HOW to do it. I just can't.

On a nylon
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 04:55:40 PM by Stray »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #769 on: February 05, 2008, 08:07:05 PM

Ooh, 3 posts in a row.  cool

Was just gonna say, since I was trying that Steve Stevens shit on my acoustic, I started messing around with other shit. I don't think I've ever posted ANY of my music here, have I? Anyways, this is my humble little start. I don't have any good mics at the moment, so I used my webcam's.

I've rambled about this open minor tuning I play in a lot.. Raph was puzzled about it once, I think. It's Open G minor (just open G, with an additional downtuning of the B string down a half step to A sharp). I do little frenchie/gypsy sounding rhythms in it. Easy way to get droning minor chord sounds, and easy access to 7ths.

ANYWAYS, nothing special or virtuosic. Just wanted to show an example of what I meant.

I'll call it... Making Ends Meet
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 08:23:51 PM by Stray »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 61 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: