Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:23:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 632642 times)
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #595 on: September 09, 2007, 05:22:29 PM

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #596 on: September 17, 2007, 12:44:34 PM

Some good stuff with your voice in that one. You should cut loose more like that. Nice solo, too. I love the spanishy sound.

I finally started my fake book! Took some time while in VT to scratch out some pages, mostly Muddy stuff at this point. Really trying to work on singing and playing simultaneously. It's so damned tough, I get so completely wrapped up in what I'm playing I can't divide out attention to sing. But making some progress. Always making some progress, that's the key. Been playing a little bass lately, too. I sometimes forget how damned good I used to be ;)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #597 on: September 21, 2007, 08:56:36 AM

This is what I'm talkin' 'bout. http://youtube.com/watch?v=n3bp4ohqugI Bukka White just kicking it out, that's the basic bass strum I'd love to have. WIsh I hadn't left my guitar home today, I'm inspired.

Speaking of inspired, when I got home from the ZZ Top show last night I cut a quick version of Blue Jean Blues (with only one verse, heh). Got home, cracked a nice Hefeweizen and laid it down in one take, as I always do. Well, three takes, rhythym (which I don't know, I faked it), lyric (again, just one and an improv based on the improv Billy did when he forgot the words) and a lead. I've got to find the mic doohickey that connects it to a stand, I just bought a boom stand but can't put my mic on it, heh. So it's miked awfully, I just laid it on the coffee table. It gets a bit percussive on the lead, I never realized how much I pop strings when I play fingerstyle. Recorded on the Baby. I'll bounce it down to stereo and bring it in next week to upload from work.

Maybe I'll even throw down something else, I did a little sketch of Gimme Back My Wig that I'm not sure what I want to do with, maybe do it as High Heeled Sneakers instead. Maybe as a mashup in true old blues-style, just pick verses at random as they come to me. Based on a Buddy Guy 12-string part from an album he did with Junior Wells.
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #598 on: October 15, 2007, 09:28:45 PM

/kicks to the top....

Anyway, I'm in the market for a starter guitar / amp.  Something to cut my teeth on again.  I'm partial to the traditional strat body/neck.  Nothing too loud as far as amp is concerned, as I'll mostly be playing through headphones.  Minimal effects needed at this point.  Possibly a chorus and/or overdrive pedal down the road.

If it matters:  Musical tastes run from Ozzy to Sister Hazel to Screamin' Cheetah Wheelies to Dirks Bentley to Kenny Chesney to early ACDC to Van Halen to Los Lonely Boys to...well...You name it.  Bluesy rock to metal to country.

I'd rather patronize a local musician for lessons, but my schedule and such make it a bit difficult.  Honest answer needed here:  How much could one actually learn from websites such as http://www.guitartricks.com/?  I'm guessing not much since there's noone on the other side to say "You're doing it wrong".

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #599 on: October 15, 2007, 10:00:29 PM

You're as good as your own desire to learn. I wouldn't worry too much about actual lessons for now. Do you know basic chords already and shit? Just get physically comfortable moving around again then. Then get the chords or tab of a song you haven't learned to refresh yourself with. After you're confident enough that you've gotten the basic chord progression down, fill it in with the more complex parts you think you couldn't learn -- testing your limits is where the real education and fun of playing starts popping up (and it's not a bad thing if you do have limits either, so don't get too frustrated).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #600 on: October 15, 2007, 10:07:10 PM

I'd rather patronize a local musician for lessons, but my schedule and such make it a bit difficult.  Honest answer needed here:  How much could one actually learn from websites such as http://www.guitartricks.com/?  I'm guessing not much since there's noone on the other side to say "You're doing it wrong".
Do you have a muscial background? I.e. did your parents make you learn an instrument as a kid? You can certainly learn how to play without taking formal lessons but it helps if you have at least some muscial training.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #601 on: October 16, 2007, 01:23:16 AM

I'm guessing not much since there's noone on the other side to say "You're doing it wrong".

I need to address somethin here again:

Who cares if you're doing it wrong. About the only thing that's going to be truly grating and "wrong" is when you don't have a sense of rhythm. Otherwise, fuck it. Just get a good foundation and then play with your balls. I put forth that every musician that has moved people, guitarists and otherwise, ended up doing just that. This goes for anyone from John Cage to John Coltrane to Jerry Lee Lewis to Joey Ramone. Anyone who takes it too seriously and geeks out too much ends up just churning out elevator dogshit.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #602 on: October 16, 2007, 07:45:33 AM

I agree with Stray.  Too technical begins to sound sterile (Satriani, Malmsteen, etc). I could listen to Clapton, Page, or Gilmour for hours. 

Learn enough theory to feel comfortable with experimentation.  Then just mess with sounds, tones, and effects until you find yourself in the instrument.  Play from the heart

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #603 on: October 16, 2007, 08:01:10 AM

Do you know basic chords already and shit?

Yes.  Basic chords, barre chords, that sort of thing.  I vaguely remember some basic arpeggio (sp?) progressions for practice.

Do you have a muscial background? I.e. did your parents make you learn an instrument as a kid? You can certainly learn how to play without taking formal lessons but it helps if you have at least some muscial training.

Played around with a guitar for a couple years back off and on when I was about 15-19 years old.  Never very good, and my repetoire consisted of songs off the basic G, A, C, and D chords.  I've got a decent ear, nothing special. 

Goddamn, that was a long time ago....

Who cares if you're doing it wrong. About the only thing that's going to be truly grating and "wrong" is when you don't have a sense of rhythm.

*Decent* sense of rhythm.  Not great, but not awful.  Something I'll definately have to work on.

So, is there such a thing as an 'easy' guitar to play? I've got decent sized hands, fingers are a little bit on the short side (I've got big palms, shortish fingers), both a little bit mangled from more than my share of bar fights.  I can't touch my thumb to my pinky on my left hand.  I think I've broken just about every metacarple at some point, and my right wrist is beyond fucked. :(
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #604 on: October 16, 2007, 08:10:15 AM

So, is there such a thing as an 'easy' guitar to play?

My advice as a bass player that plays some guitar: 

1) Go to a larger guitar store and try a number of guitars.  The key is to find a neck that feels good to your hand.  Some like fender, some like gibson, etc.  It's about the width and the radius. 

2) Spend a little extra money and have the guitar set up by a professional.  Moderate to low action will make playing feel much easier. 

Alternatively, buying a cheap acoustic guitar has helped my electric playing a ton.  If I can bang out a riff on acoustic, it's about 1000 times easier to play on a well set up electric.  The guitar players here may have some better advice, but that's what has helped me the most as a bassist.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #605 on: October 16, 2007, 08:10:49 AM

I've been playing metal for about a decade. If you want "Low" get a baritone guitar. A 7 string just lets you downtune and keep the high E. No point unless you need it for a particular solo... in which case I'd recommend a Baritone guitar and a whammy bar pedal. Just pitch up when you need the higher octave. You are less likely to notice the pitch shift in the solo than in the rythem sections.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #606 on: October 16, 2007, 09:11:28 AM

By "easy to play", it depends on how you play.

The flatter the radius, the easier single note shredding becomes. The more convex the radius, the easier chords and barre chords become.

-

You'll find the flattest necks on metal-oriented guitars (like Jackson and Ibanez) or spanish/classical acoustics.

More convex fretboards are on traditional Fender and Gibson electrics, dreadnought and jumbo acoustics and the like. Fenders stand out though, as the back of the neck shape on them is thinner compared to a Gibson or an acoustic. Gibsons generally feel like baseball bats (with the exception for some of the earlier SG's). Also, most of those metalhead guitars I mentioned above follow the Fender design as far as back-of-neck feel goes. Classical guitars have a very fat feel to them however, even moreso than other acoustics -- but their fretboards are flat.

-

So that's two factors -- back of the neck shape/grip, and fretboard radius. Only you can know what you'd prefer though, but just check out 1) a Strat  2) a Les Paul  3) a Jackson 4) a Classical, and see what you like. Those four pretty much cover the variations out there.
Montague
Terracotta Army

Reply #607 on: October 16, 2007, 10:24:13 AM

I'm in the same boat as Snake. I used to play when I was young (about 20 years ago) and went to the local guitar store last night and bought a cheap $200 guitar that felt good on the hands, plus a Marshall practice amp for another $100.

Took it home and began busting out power chords and the few licks I could remember. Man, technology has sure changed. Back in the day the only little amps I could get were dinky Gorillas with horrible sound that needed a Boss pedal to get any sort of sustain. That little 10-watt Marshall though kicks ass and the sound is great, had a lot of fun getting back into it. I just need to get my callouses back, my fingers are kinda raw this morning.  Rock Out

When Fascism comes to America it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross - Sinclair Lewis.

I can tell more than 1 fucktard at a time to stfu, have no fears. - WayAbvPar

We all have the God-given right to go to hell our own way.  Don't fuck with God's plan. - MahrinSkel
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #608 on: October 16, 2007, 10:44:36 AM

By "easy to play", it depends on how you play.

The flatter the radius, the easier single note shredding becomes. The more convex the radius, the easier chords and barre chords become.

-

You'll find the flattest necks on metal-oriented guitars (like Jackson and Ibanez) or spanish/classical acoustics.

More convex fretboards are on traditional Fender and Gibson electrics, dreadnought and jumbo acoustics and the like. Fenders stand out though, as the back of the neck shape on them is thinner compared to a Gibson or an acoustic. Gibsons generally feel like baseball bats (with the exception for some of the earlier SG's). Also, most of those metalhead guitars I mentioned above follow the Fender design as far as back-of-neck feel goes. Classical guitars have a very fat feel to them however, even moreso than other acoustics -- but their fretboards are flat.

-

So that's two factors -- back of the neck shape/grip, and fretboard radius. Only you can know what you'd prefer though, but just check out 1) a Strat  2) a Les Paul  3) a Jackson 4) a Classical, and see what you like. Those four pretty much cover the variations out there.

That's the info I was looking for.  Thanks.

It sounds like a Fender is in the middle between the two extremes?

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #609 on: October 16, 2007, 10:54:22 AM

Yep.

-------

ALTHOUGH it should be mentioned that there are minor variations in Fender neck contour too. Heh.

There's the V shape (mostly found on 50's and 50's remake models), which come in both hard and soft V's... Really the best for like barre work and stuff.

The U shape (found in 70's stuff), which is closest to the Gibson necks.

And the C shape (60's, and just about all modern designs).

The feel is just like the letters would suggest. Triangular, chunky and roundish, and oval respectively.

Don't mean to complicate things though! Just about any Fender you pick up will be a C, and most of them have the same radius (slight convex).

[EDIT] It's funny how I suggest not to geek out too much about theory and such, but here I am being a dork with all of this techy shit. ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2007, 11:01:21 AM by Stray »
Raph
Developers

Reply #610 on: October 16, 2007, 07:27:58 PM

Some obvious advice...

Lighter strings = easier to play. Some electric players like heavy strings for the sake of the tone. If you are just getting back into it, don't go that route.

The only big "learn wrong" thing you can do is end up with really bad hand position on your left hand. But cramps will quickly tell you if that is the case. If it feels painful to do stuff, you are probably doing it wrong (excluding fingertip blisters from lack of calluses, and stretching when you first do barres).
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #611 on: October 16, 2007, 07:32:07 PM

The only big "learn wrong" thing you can do is end up with really bad hand position on your left hand. But cramps will quickly tell you if that is the case. If it feels painful to do stuff, you are probably doing it wrong (excluding fingertip blisters from lack of calluses, and stretching when you first do barres).
Given the problems with his left hand it may still hurt when he is doing it "right" so he'll probably just have to improvise some of that technique.
Raph
Developers

Reply #612 on: October 16, 2007, 07:34:57 PM

Hmm, good point. May also do his hand some good, though. "Wraparound" barres may be tough (fretting the low strings with the thumb). My hands are too small to do those anyway.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #613 on: October 16, 2007, 09:13:40 PM

Totally stress going to the guitar shop and trying out different styles.  They may look similar, but so many of them play differently.  I have huge hands with ginormously long fingers (almost more suitable for a bass) and finding a guitar that fits right and feels good is not the easiest thing to do.  Quite a few of them feel too crowded for the fingers to hit individual notes easily on the higher fret positions.  If I ever lose or break my guitar it is going to be a sad sad day to try and replace it despite being a cheap piece of crap (you get attached to them after many years of playing).

And yeah, even 10 years ago it was almost impossible to buy a starter guitar package for less than $500 (the cheapest "new" guitars in my town were $595 and they sounded like ass).  Nowadays you can get a decent sounding one for practice for less than half that.  It used to be that pawn shops were the only game in town for guitars that were cheap (but often didn't work on all of the pickups, like mine) but now you can go pick up a cheap made in Mexico or Indonesia guitar that looks like the real deal and plays similarly as the $2500+ ones.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #614 on: October 17, 2007, 12:51:05 AM

The larger the nut width, the better it's gonna feel in bigger hands. Standard size for Fender and Gibson (or derivatives) electrics is 43mm. Most dreadnoughts, as well as many PRS and some ESP electrics are 45mm, with some classicals and 12 strings going up to 50mm.

I'm weird, I guess. I'm a tall guy with fairly big hands, but I prefer the more narrow neck on my Jazzmaster -- 41mm (my fingers are skinny though, so maybe it makes sense).

Anyways, look into PRS (if you can afford it!!).
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #615 on: October 17, 2007, 01:01:20 PM

I tried going to the local guitar center.. I just couldn't relax there... Might also look at local pawn shops.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #616 on: October 17, 2007, 01:05:46 PM

What happened? Too many kids clanking out Green Day riffs or somethin'? Or were the floor people buggin you?

Fuck a pawn shop though. That's a big mistake. Go to a real used/boutique shop.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #617 on: October 17, 2007, 01:37:33 PM

I got my first drum set from a pawn shop.  What a mistake that was, they were from a company I've never even heard of.  TJ Percussion.

Although to be fair, the pawn shop near my school does have a Les Paul in pretty good condition.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #618 on: October 23, 2007, 03:44:33 PM

I should post the picture of my kit, it's quite possibly the worst pile of shit ever stacked together. Can't recall the maker. The heads are all messed up and dented, they need tuning but I don't know how and certainly wouldn't waste anyone else's time on that kit. I got a crappy medium ride but some decent sabian highhats with it. A guy that was working for me had them in storage and needed some dough for xmas, I quite generously gave him $100 for the set (nice hats and cheap kit imo).

I've since put $10 into a nice pawn-shop tama straight stand that I don't have a cymbal for. I also stomped through the cheap bass drum pedal, not surprising because I stomp the shit out of it. So I sprung for a nice chain-drive dealy, tama or something.

As soon as I get my own house (or some amazing apartment situation), I would like to get a decent kit set up in a little studio room. Something like this. I was going to go even more stripped down, I played with a bunch of configs back when I had the opportunity. But I was watching some old Who concert footage and I decided I should have a few toms set up. I love playing drums, with my senheisser recording cans and ipod, there's a couple hours of good loud fun. Earbuds and earphones don't cut it, need full ear cup action...and probably an ear-damaging ipod volume...I do play hard.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #619 on: October 23, 2007, 03:47:15 PM

Oops, forgot what I came in here to post. Setting up ye olde amazon wishlist for the xmas season's hopes...I just threw in this and these.
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #620 on: October 24, 2007, 01:40:55 AM

I actually have that exact Gretsch setup in birchwood.  I prefer maple, but I got a good deal on it.  Guitar Center & Sam Ash like to give away the little tom for free.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #621 on: October 24, 2007, 02:37:17 PM

Love, love, love the Pick of Destiny!  Definitely one of those in the xmas stocking for my incredibly talented guitar, bass, drum, sax, keyboard playing nephew.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #622 on: October 24, 2007, 09:29:27 PM

Yeah, wouldn't surprise me if he has the real thing.  awesome, for real

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Raph
Developers

Reply #623 on: October 25, 2007, 02:35:26 PM

So when push comes to shove and you have to evacuate, and it means choosing what instruments to take, here's how it boils down:

S S Stewart banjo (1894), 62 Melody Maker, 62 L000 Gibson acoustic, Blueridge acoustic, 1950's Harmony bari uke: save.
Michael Kelly mandolin, Washburn bass, Applecreek mtn dulcimer, Shenandoah Jr amp, rest of gear: leave.

Heartbreak

But I am home again and everything is fine.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #624 on: October 25, 2007, 05:20:22 PM

My nephew started out interested in bass but kept going and now has become very accomplished at a number of instruments.  He seems to have a knack.  A couple of years ago we got him an electric violin (just for fun) and he's had a blast with it.  I've been thinking for a while of giving him a banjo.  I don't think he's ever messed around with one but he's a huge Bela Fleck fan.

PS  I'm glad everything went okay, Raph.  Good luck!  I'm thinking the stress would have probably done me in by now.  It's hard to believe some of those fires were set intentionally.   undecided

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #625 on: October 26, 2007, 09:45:55 AM

By Al Qaeda?

I have a banjo, my grandfather's cheapo Silvertone. But it's in such awful condition, I cleaned it up but it needs some setup work because the action at the 12 is about an inch  shocked I'd love to learn some basic banjo stuff, and it's close to the open tuning I use for slide guitar (open G). Of course, the Scruggs book lists many alt tunings anyway, but I thought the open G was cool as I saw Guy Davis (who is awesome btw) play Can't Be Satisfied on banjo earlier this year.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #626 on: October 28, 2007, 12:44:21 PM

Some obvious advice...

Lighter strings = easier to play. Some electric players like heavy strings for the sake of the tone. If you are just getting back into it, don't go that route.

Having played in Death metal bands for years, I can promise you... heavier strings do not give you heavier or even different tone. I know a lot of guys as well, that think the gauge of their strings effects tone... but it doesn't.

The only thing I've found they do, is that when tuning very low (I've been know to tune to B) they lose less tension. When you have ultralight strings and you tune down to B, they are "loose" on the guitar and you have to have extremely good finger control to prevent them from swinging out of tune just from the pressure of your hand. If you ARE really good at controlling the pressure of your fingers you can use this to your advantage, look at Morbid Angel... that tone they have comes strait from very lite gauge strings on a very down tuned guitar.

My tip? Practice with medium gauge strings. Play shows with lite gauge. The medium build finger strength, then the lite will make you fly over the fretboard at the show.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #627 on: October 28, 2007, 01:03:45 PM

There was a time when I played with .013's or even higher. Particularly on Jags or JM's. I mainly used those guages because the bridges on those two particular guitars are literally broken by design (it's not in my head either...that's been the gripe about them for 40 years). Awesome guitars, but the absolute most retarded saddle design ever.

EXAMPLE:

They need a lot of tension or the strings pop right out of the grooves.

This goes without mentioning all of the other little quirks (and there are many).

I finally started equipping a new saddle design though and can manage with .010's, but still prefer .011's, which is what I do on other electrics. I just can't stand the feel of anything smaller, and I'll break .009's or .008's almost immediately.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #628 on: October 28, 2007, 01:10:13 PM

Good point... I have played many guitars that would not play correctly with strings that were too lite or too heavy. My Les Paul will not take heavy gauge strings. I never pay attention to the .0013's or whatever the numbers are. I just get "Ultra lite" and leave it at that. I usually buy whatever brand comes with a free beer glass that month. Although, I won't play BlueSteel, there's something that just feels wrong with those strings.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #629 on: October 28, 2007, 01:16:36 PM

Well, Ultra Lights are .008's or .009's.

.013's or .014's are Fucking Stupid Heavy ;)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 61 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: