Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 61 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 632512 times)
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #280 on: June 13, 2006, 07:34:48 AM

On a scary note, I think I'm developing carpal tunnel in my left hand. Last week, I was waking up with sharp pains in my fingertips, which would carry on and off throughout the day. The past two days though I've been waking up with a sore in my bottom thumb/wrist area.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #281 on: June 14, 2006, 05:48:33 PM

Greatest white blues lineup ever (and Yoko Ono killing it, just like she did with the Beatles).

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:51:10 PM by Stray »
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #282 on: June 15, 2006, 06:25:45 AM

I must've missed Mike Bloomfield, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder, Stevie Ray, Billy Gibbons, Peter Green, and that's just the start of the guitar section :P

Ok, I've never hated Yoko until now. Whoever let her and that violinist on stage needs to be kicked in the nuts, even if it was Lennon's idea. The first jam was nice, though.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 06:32:51 AM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #283 on: June 15, 2006, 07:58:53 AM

I must've missed Mike Bloomfield, Johnny Winter, Ry Cooder, Stevie Ray, Billy Gibbons, Peter Green, and that's just the start of the guitar section :P

Heh, I was kidding really. But when Keith, Clapton, and Lennon are in the same song, it's hard to think of another link title.

Anyways....Funny thing about Yoko is that Lennon didn't start writing cool, depressing, earthy stuff until he met her. She's a double edged sword, I guess. Another song I can think of like that is Cold Turkey (too bad that's the dubbed version).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #284 on: June 15, 2006, 11:32:46 AM

Man, I swear, Youtube has everything...

Gatemouth on a Jag

More swingin'. So much style man.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: June 15, 2006, 11:45:03 AM

Heh, you're hurting my productivity, man.

The King

The more of this stuff I watch, the more I think I'm going to cancel my guitar lessons. This instructor played some decent acoustic blues and has really gotten me on the right track for practicing better, but he keeps pushing me into jazz, which I hate. So far every decent instructor I've met is way too into jazz, and argues with me when I say blues shouldn't be tainted by jazz. Country delta blooze forever (with some Chicago spice), bitches!

I just need to practice more, is all. Screw these jazztards.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006, 11:48:57 AM by Sky »
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #286 on: June 15, 2006, 11:48:21 AM

Yeah, that one's great. Seen it (and watching it again now).
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #287 on: June 15, 2006, 11:51:59 AM

blues shouldn't be tainted by jazz

That Gatemouth vid says otherwise. Though to be fair, that's New Orleans jazz. More sweaty, less smooth :)

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #288 on: June 15, 2006, 01:05:32 PM

I don't care for it.

Matt Murphy, all vintage-like.
My man Buddy Guy. Love his vocals and guitar style, very distinctive. Great saxomaphone.
Great video of T-Bone Walker with Willie Dixon, Memphis Slim and others. Dig those keys!
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #289 on: June 15, 2006, 01:41:42 PM

Matt Murphy, all vintage-like.

Thank you for that.   Heart

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #290 on: June 15, 2006, 02:03:06 PM

Here's a fun guitarist in a quite different style - Porcupine Tree's Steven Wilson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxeANJx8uho

And because he was mentioned... Kid Rock (skip ahead 3 mins of crap til Billy Gibbons):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJSi7vbNznA

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: June 19, 2006, 07:17:43 AM

Cancelled my lessons. As I said, screw jazztards. I just want to play blues, maybe some rock.

Just need to practice more, in the non-comfort zone. My hand aches from working on chord forms. I actually considered plastic surgery to slim down my fingertips (they are very wide). Only for a split-second, but the thought was there (damn you A chord form high on the neck!). I always hated physical limitations when I was college, I was at the point on the bass where I was pushing my physical limitations on how fast I could play with my fingers. I really miss the times I had 8 or more hours a day to practice and sit at the top of my game. It just sucks knowing I could be so much better than I am :)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #292 on: June 19, 2006, 08:36:02 AM

I really miss the times I had 8 or more hours a day to practice and sit at the top of my game. It just sucks knowing I could be so much better than I am :)

I know exactly how you feel.  I've been listening to some studio stuff I did about 20 years ago and I can't even play my own licks.  It amazes me how much style and polish you get from just playing out all the time. 

As for the lessons, I think it's a good call.  There are so few instructors out there willing to teach what the student wants to learn that it's often a lost cause.  Use the cash you would have spent on lessons on cds instead.  With your level of self-discipline, you'll do well.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: June 19, 2006, 09:44:21 AM

With your level of self-discipline, you'll do well.
I lolled. I have almost no self-discipline. That's why I started taking lessons.

I did quickly see several things to work on, chord vocab using the CAGED system was one. Of course, the book he wanted me to work out of was on my amazon wishlist for about two years  (Fretboard Logic, it's a great book and the source of my aching hand the other night), so it's not like it was some groundbreaking idea. Same with the fingerpicking acoustic blues, he was showing me stuff out of a book I already had.

So it's really that I just need to practice more :)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: June 19, 2006, 09:51:39 AM

I lolled. I have almost no self-discipline. That's why I started taking lessons.

You had me fooled.  You're always talking about playing and trying new things here.  I tend to fall back into old patters and rarely stretch myself musically anymore.  That's where my comment came from.  You seem much more self-disciplined than I do musically. 

My latest stretch has been playing scales.  I've basically gone back to basics and took a look at some commonly used scales and reviewed my pentatonics.  I'm hoping that if I get these things ingrained in my head again, that I'll be able to vamp more around basic keys.  Sadly after about 20-30 mins, I just slam on a few cd's and start playing along.   

-  Mark Twain
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #295 on: June 22, 2006, 11:50:52 AM

Just an update. Working with a couple books right now and thought I'd pass them along, as they are excellent.

Fretboard Logic - I mentioned this one above. Nice way to put together the guitar's fretboard mentally. CAGED system, which I pretty much used subconsciously already. But studying it and putting it together with theory is cool. I just never thought about the fact I had been using the C form, and I didn't really use the G form much, but the C, A and D I had been using pretty extensively. The author then uses that simple system to build out chords anywhere on the neck spontaneously and then as a platform to learn scales and arpeggios. Good stuff.

Fretboard Workbook - Similar to the above, by Musician's Institute Press. Same idea, substituting numbers 1-5 for C-D.

Berklee's Guitar Series v1 - The Beast. Guitar exercises, all in notation (I'm a recovering tabtard).

Mostly trying to learn notation and master the fretboard in all positions at this point. Funny how boring yet exciting something can be. Also working some repertoire development, open G slide on "Can't Be Satisfied".
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #296 on: August 20, 2006, 11:37:49 AM

Posted another track off the CD, an acoustic instrumental piece.

http://www.raphkoster.com/2006/08/20/the-sunday-song-after-the-flood/
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: August 21, 2006, 07:55:21 AM

That was nice. Some of the arpeggios were a bit labored, but I really liked the little slides at the end of phrases.

Speaking of acoustic stuff, I'm very tempted to buy a Baby Taylor after playing one a couple weeks ago. I could've used one out on Monhegan Island last week. I missed out on a classic Taylor that was only $900, really bummed me out. To wrap up gear news, I'm also considering a Pignose amp.

My playing's been a bit stalled lately, but I've been working on a version of Catfish Blues I can actually sing, so it has to be artfully sparse because I can't play and sing at the same time. I throw in a lot of fills and I'm doing one line in unison with the guitar, which actually sounds very Hendrixy. I wish digital hard disk recorder tech would catch up to what I want. Right now it seems everything is mixed onboard at the low end or just a front end for the pc software at the high end. I want something totally integrated, so I can record without the pc on but mix on the pc. Ah, well. Maybe next year.
Raph
Developers

Reply #298 on: August 21, 2006, 12:31:07 PM

I really do enjoy my Baby, though I don't play it hardly at all these days given that it sits at home and my main guitar is equally within reach. I tried a lot of travel guitars, and it was literally the only one with anything resembling a real tone. It also sounds better to the audience than it does to you, I've found.

Why can't you sing and play at the same time? Maybe you need to back up, play some simpler stuff and get the simultaneous singing and playing down a bit better, then work the guitar part complexity back up.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: August 21, 2006, 01:42:09 PM

I dunno, I've chalked it up to coordination difficulties. It's not so much I can't sing and play simultaneously as I can't do differing melodies/rhythms. Thus doing the unison thing with Catfish. I am trying some simple chording, it's no problem at all to strum chords as long as there isn't too much going on under a lyric. But something as simple as a shuffle blues? Not happening. I have a version of Kind Hearted Woman Blues I've been doing, based on George Thorogood's slide version (it's quite nice) with a shuffle inserted in a middle verse ("Ain't but one thing that make Mr. Johnson drink...."). I can do nice slide chording and fills but the shuffle defeats me every time.

It's the exact thing that happens to me on the drums when I can't play a straight high-hat line (like straight 8ths) while syncopating the bass drum. It's like the right hand and foot are connected or something.

Both problems bug the hell out of me.
Raph
Developers

Reply #300 on: August 21, 2006, 03:38:08 PM

Hmm. All I can think of is to try some basic rhythm sightreading exercises.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: August 31, 2006, 11:54:11 AM

Is your SG a cherry red (like mine was), or the cooler brownish/maroon? I can't tell.
Heritage Cherry sez Gibson.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #302 on: August 31, 2006, 12:10:49 PM

Is your SG a cherry red (like mine was), or the cooler brownish/maroon? I can't tell.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Much cooler version of cherry than mine was (which I sold). I'd like to get another like yours one day.

Ever seen this?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: August 31, 2006, 01:39:58 PM

Keith Moon is one of the best drummer ever. Bonham is my favorite, though. Mitch Mitchell was awesome, too. I tend to really key in on drummers, probably from playing bass for so long.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: August 31, 2006, 02:05:16 PM

I own a dvd of that concert.  Damn I miss the Ox. 

-  Mark Twain
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #305 on: August 31, 2006, 02:15:47 PM

You guys are right about Entwistle and Moon, but the real star of the show is Townsend's windmill! It's never looked better.  tongue

Seriously, I love that kind of stuff. What's with SG players anyways? They all seem to have more "show business" savvy than the average git player.
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #306 on: August 31, 2006, 02:18:48 PM

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. Much cooler version of cherry than mine was (which I sold). I'd like to get another like yours one day.

Are you using Marschall tube amps with that SG? Cuz if you're not, you're not really playing an SG! Sorry, had to add 70s metal guitar freak to my list of strange fetishes

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #307 on: August 31, 2006, 02:37:07 PM

I worship at the altar of 70's guitar gods -- But as far as playing goes, that sound is just not me. I've had a couple of Marshalls before, but never really liked them. The amp I have now is a Fender VK, which can do the "Marshall" thing better than other Fender amps, but I use it for other reasons. Anything sounds great through it. It's versatile enough for everyone from the present day Townsend (Marshall poster boy and cabinet destroyer if there ever was one) to completely opposite players like Dick Dale and Chris Isaak to use.

I also have a Vox amp modeler, if that counts. It has Marshall Bluesbreakers, Plexis, and 80's, 90's, and 00 stack models on it. I was dialing them in from time to time when I had a Gibson to muck around with.

Or are you asking Sky? If so, then I'm gonna feel like an ass for saying all of that then. :)
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: September 01, 2006, 07:17:38 AM

Hmm. My guitar gods are all over the place. Priest, Maiden, Mercyful Fate, Zakk, Dime, Iommi over to Buddy Guy, Muddy, Albert King, Johnny Winter to Jimi, Page, Clapton, Gilmour, etc, etc. I basically like good guitars over interesting music. I'm not picky, though I'm picky in a way, which is not intended to be a pun on picking.

I'm playing a cheap old bass head a guy sold me when I moved back from CA and my guitarist decided to keep my rig. One guy sold me a nice 8x10 Ampeg cab I'm not currently using (and one 10 needs replaced) for $100. Another guy sold me an old Peavey Mark III bass head (crappy model without the graphic eq, but it's serviceable) and a 1x15 (nice Dean Markley cab) loaded with a 400W EV 15", my old favorite speaker from when I played bass. My main rig was a Peavey 2x15 with two of those in it, back in the day. Crunchy. Got the amp head and cab for $100, too.

So I'm running into a Boss GT-6 I bought but don't really know how to use properly, thence into the Peavey bass amp into the 1x15.

The sound in that clip was my default metal lead sound, something with distortion and some echo and verb. I normally use a very dry sound with just a hint of overdrive, I'm tempted to pull the GT-6 out of the loop and just use the amp's gain circuit. I'm a pretty firm believer in pulling good sound out of whatever you're plugged into. I didn't use any effects when I played bass, just an ancient Kustom guitar head (that used to be our singer's amp before we had a PA!) into the 2x15. It's mostly in the fingers and attack. I used to beat the shit out of the bass when I played, last time I played in public a couple years ago I played three songs and my fingers were literally bleeding, it was very gorey (and kinda cool, heh).

That said, I'd love to have a marshall tube stack! I'd have to sell my truck to afford it, though....I've been looking at some combo amps, a couple decent looking fenders, maybe a 4x10 super reverb. Also toying with the idea of grabbing a Pignose amp.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #309 on: September 01, 2006, 08:02:47 AM

I would recommend the Super Reverb. The only Fender combo better than it is the VK, imho. But that's about a $1000 more and doesn't do bright and clean as well as an SR. Have you played your guitar through one already? Since you're a plug and play kind of guy, I'd think you'd be really happy with it for sure. Even with your SG, it might take a lot of volume to push it into hard overdrive, but if you like crunchy-clean, it's perfect.

There's also the Deluxe Reverb. It's more than half the wattage and half the price. It has a similar sound to an SR, but if you want it to saturate at lower volumes (like small club/garage levels), that's what it's good for.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #310 on: September 01, 2006, 08:35:31 AM

Didn't one of you guys just say earlier in this very thread that you're "no guitar geek"?

How do you defend a statement like that after this discussion?

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #311 on: September 01, 2006, 09:09:30 AM

Stray, I was talking to both of ya. I'm no longer a guitar geek, so most of what you talked about went over my head. However, for arty lines, wicked sounds and a clean flat neck, you just can't get better than an SG. If I were to seriously pick up playing again, I would lust after the SG.

As for amps, I never managed to pony up enough for a marshall tube. You're right that it does tend to be very limited in what sounds it can make, and I did have a Fender Blackwidow amp, which had a lot of built-in toys, including chorus and flange, which were a hoot to play with.

Regrettably, I had to put the guitar down and admit defeat. I just have no musical ear and my sense of rhythm sucks. Badly. I'm the kind of dancer that makes white people think they have a some black in them because at least they aren't as bad as I am.

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: September 01, 2006, 09:58:47 AM

I know what I wrote /sounds/ guitar geeky, even when we get into some discussion of modes and stuff in the Guitar Thread (which some mod should probably split this into :P). But not really.

A guitar geek knows how to download custom GT6 sounds and hack his GT6. Fuck, a guitar geek would know how to work the stupid thing properly. I have maybe 4 tones I ever use out of 200, and I haven't done any custom tones of my own.

A guitar geek would actually care that he made mistakes in that video or maybe discuss how I overused pentatonics and maybe praise my integration of melodic minors and blues pentatonics or summat. I just play and whatever comes out is what it is :)

Basically, I don't get too hung up in technical stuff, theory or gear. I do enjoy talking about it, though, so I won't deny a bit of geekism in that respect. I'd say 'enthusiast', though ;)
WayAbvPar

Reply #313 on: September 01, 2006, 10:02:52 AM

(which some mod should probably split this into Tongue). But not really.

Was planning on it. Gotta keep you guitar geeks somewhere I can safely ignore you  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #314 on: September 01, 2006, 10:49:10 AM

I don't know a lot about theory, but I guess I'm a guitar geek. More like a tone freak really. I'm probably better at that than I am playing. I don't wind my own pickups or anything, but I do like to tweak things to an extent. Outside of major modifications, I work on my own stuff. I can be pretty obsessive over less-than-optimal guitar setups, if the pickups are 1 cm too high, or lame amplifier speakers, and fix them accordingly. I can operate a GT6, but I'm more geeky in an analog kind of way. I tend to not like digital stuff.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 61 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: