Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2017, 05:12:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Guitar thread  (Read 229850 times)
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2030 on: February 15, 2017, 01:20:02 PM

Also ran across this tuning video with accompanying comparisons.  I appreciate what he's saying as a bass player... the heavier gauge strings do ring sharp when you attack them.

Taylor tuning

I also found this tuning to provide a much warmer sound.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #2031 on: May 27, 2017, 07:28:27 PM

Nobody mentions Gregg Allman? :(
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #2032 on: June 16, 2017, 11:20:02 AM

Not in here. Played a ton of ABB after it happened, though.

Now that I have a decent laptop for work, I plugged my interface into it and made a quick test recording last night.

http://cashwiley.com/test1-61617-12-15-am/

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2033 on: August 24, 2017, 09:29:37 AM

Came across this video of Mark Knopfler discussing the evolution of his picking style and his use of different guitars.  He seems like such a humble guy given the talent that he has.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 09:35:54 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Raph
Developers

Reply #2034 on: August 25, 2017, 01:32:57 AM

What a fantastic video, thanks for posting it. He's one of my favorites.
Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2035 on: October 26, 2017, 06:46:05 PM

recently bought an EVH lunchbox 15 watt tube amp to go with my Orange Tiny Terror.  Running it through a 2x12 with Celestions - Texas Heat and The Governor. I borrowed two guitars from my brother so now I have:

2x heads
1x  two by 12 cab
4x electric guitars
  • PRS CE 22 with Gibson humbuckers
  • Strat knockoff - single coil
  • Gilford with active pickups
  • Ibanez (forget model) with Zack Wylde EMG active pickups

I am in heaven.  This many options.  I will come up with a riff on the Ibanez and think "Hmm more of a strat riff" swap guitars and presto, or go "yeah this is more of an Orange vibe than the EVH".  Granted the Gilford and Ibanez are simply loaners, but man I am in heaven.  I realize I have been trying to make orange juice with apples for years.  Trying to get modern high gain metal tones through the strat and PRS through the orange pedals.  Simply plug the Ibanez into the EVH and off we go.   Tempted to buy a 1x12 with V30 Greenbacks in it to absolutely seal the deal on the metal tone.

I haven't felt this much desire to just play in ages.

/Squeeeee off

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Raph
Developers

Reply #2036 on: October 26, 2017, 07:51:29 PM

One of these:

https://www.larrivee.com/products/omv-03-recording-series

is sitting at a local thrift store for $800, and has been for two months.

But I need a new laptop (mine died). And various pricey house repairs. And...
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2037 on: October 26, 2017, 10:10:16 PM

I think I've officially inherited the ampeg SVT head I needed for my 8x10 cab, along with a 15 cab. I was storing them in my garage for an old friend who's dad died. She got kinda bummed when I told her most of the stuff (including his handmade standup electric bass) was broken or junk, but this head and cab are decent. It's not the best SVT, but it's worlds better than my old Peavey POS.

Moves into the basement this winter after years of sitting in the garage, and it ain't coming out unless I start gigging. Excited to play the Gibson through it, the weak spot on my old ESP custom was the pickups, it never sounded punchy through the Peavey...

I think my classical guitar is in protest, decided to break a string on the stand. Granted, I only change strings when they break...(and then I replace the set). I don't even remember what I had on it.

I did buy a couple MXL condensers on a good AMS sale, so I should probably record stuff. You know, now that I don't have excuses for not plugging in the Scarlett 18i8. The last remaining snag in my recording ideas is how to track everything myself, since 90% of what I do is improvisational and writing and planning sucks all the enjoyment out of it for me. Also, I'd need to pick up a set of drum mics. And tune my drums. And get another cymbal.

I love drums and avoid that rabbit hole.

Fraeg
Terracotta Army

Mad skills with the rod.

Reply #2038 on: October 26, 2017, 11:02:44 PM

the drum hole... yeah I have a half build Ludwig set I inherited from an uncle in my garage.  I really need to soundproof that place before I start smacking drums.

"There is dignity and deep satisfaction in facing life and death without the comfort of heaven or the fear of hell and in sailing toward the great abyss with a smile."
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2039 on: October 27, 2017, 08:47:35 AM

Mine are in the basement, when I first looked at my house there was a kit in the living room. And that kid sucked bad. So I'm pretty much good with drumming as long as I don't go over into sound ordinance times...and even when I may have had an urge at midnight to play a bit, nobody has complained, ever.

My guitar was probably much louder, I used to play my amp cranked for natural tube distortion back in the day. It's amazing how loud a 12W amp with a 12" speaker can get.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #2040 on: October 27, 2017, 01:23:36 PM

I'm trying to ignore gear mostly because I've not been playing so much since picking up art...but I was watching a thing with Isaiah Mitchell and holy shit is his fuzz pedal amazing. And just about impossible to get (a Tym Seaweed).

edit: he plays for Earthless and is a monster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sicDBhLQo4U
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:26:54 PM by Sky »

Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Guitar thread  
Jump to: