Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:20:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WW2OL open beta and welcome back soldier Next week 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: WW2OL open beta and welcome back soldier Next week  (Read 13254 times)
Comstar
Terracotta Army

on: August 19, 2005, 10:19:00 PM

First off, the Open Beta. (Follow link for full info)

Beginning at 1200CT (US) on Thursday, August 25th, 2005 account creation forms will be made available on the official website for test accounts. Participants will receive instructions on how to download the pre-release client and information on where to submit error reports. Space will be limited for the test which will run from Thursday, August 25th through Sunday August 28th.

BattleGround Europe (the re-release after 4 years) is coming out Early/Mid September, so basicaly this is the version you can go out and buy later if you wish. I can't imagine this will be repeated anytime soon. The game is completly changed from 4 years ago blah blah blah (you know the drill). Anyway, the trees got a graphics update and look a lot nice these days for the graphic whores amonngst you (though the inf models are still getting a revamp). Brigade Spawning and Moblie Spawn Points means it's pretty straightforward to find a fight, and spawn in within 400m of the enemy (even closer if you capture a spawn building inside the town). 1.19 revamped the interface completly, and you can now map vechiles to the keyboard to drive them if you don't have a joystick (though I don't imagine it's as fun, and flying proabbly dosn't work either).

There's lots of pics at the BattleGround Europe promo site (though most are pre the new 1.19 trees). There's a short 28meg movie semi-trailer Here (the offical trailer is still being filmed, I played a Brit Para jumping out of a JU52 that had lost it's wing).

There are previews from various websites here, here, here, here, and here of varing degrees of uselessness.

Secondaly 'Welcome Back Soldier' Returns (Follow link for more info).

Starting Monday, August 22nd all accounts that became inactive between August '04 and today will be eligible for free play through the return of our 'Welcome Back Soldier' program.

Free play starts Monday, August 22nd and ends Sunday, August 28th
- All returning players who resubscribe by August 28th will receive the Blitzkrieg theater participation decal.
- Effective January 1st, 2006, ALL accounts inactive/unsubscribed for more than 180 consecutive days become eligible for gamename transfer to an active/new subscriber.
- Following this 'Welcome Back Soldier' program (September 1st), ALL accounts inactive/unsubscribed for more than 90 consecutive days become eligible for rank rollback.

Q & A

Q. What time on Monday will accounts be re-activated?
A. Approximately 10:00amCT

Q. If the e-mail address bounces the message CRS sends out will the player still be eligible?
A. All eligible players will be able to log in after 10:00amCT on Monday even if the e-mail message is not delivered.

Q. What do you mean, "All accounts inactive/unsubscribed for more than 180 consecutive days become eligible for gamename transfer to an active/new subscriber."?
A. With the rise in new subscribers coming from the upcoming retail release, we need to free up gamenames from inactive accounts. If your account is inactive for more than 180 consecutive days, your gamename gets flagged as available. If an existing or new subscriber requests that gamename it will be assigned to that player. As long as nobody requests your gamename it will remain with your account. We're pre-announcing this change which wont take effect until January 1st, 2006.

Q. How will I log in if my gamename gets changed?
A. Your Playnet login (Member Name) will not change. Accounts with names re-assigned will be auto-assigned a new gamename which can be changed.

Q. What do you mean, "All accounts inactive/unsubscribed for more than 90 consecutive days become eligible for rank rollback."?
A. We want to be sure that the population of any given rank in the game is not skewed by players with accounts inactive for more than 90 consecutive days. As we make changes to the rank system, it's important for us to be able to predict population and allow us to roll back ranks on accounts not used. In addition, changes to the game and in-game organizations mean no player gone for more than 90 days should be jumping back into the game and leading missions.

Q. What about members of the military who get assigned to duty that can take them away for more than 90 or 180 days?
A. We always make special arrangements for individuals in our community. If you are a member of the military or have a need for special consideration, we will go out of our way to make something work for you. Contact Badger@playnet.com for details.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2005, 10:43:30 PM by Comstar »

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Evangolis
Contributor

Reply #1 on: August 19, 2005, 10:24:24 PM

With this and the Shadowbane Lore Server, it is clear that old MMOs never die.

"It was a difficult party" - an unexpected word combination from ex-Merry Prankster and author Robert Stone.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #2 on: August 19, 2005, 11:35:56 PM

With this and the Shadowbane Lore Server, it is clear that old MMOs never die.

I picked up an AC box at Best Buy the other day. Seeing that certainly surprised me...
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 03:19:39 AM

From what I understand, WW2OL is now a functional and reasonably good-looking game where you can jump into the action quickly.  FWIW.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 07:41:03 AM

From what I understand, WW2OL is now a functional and reasonably good-looking game where you can jump into the action quickly.  FWIW.

And tanks pigs fly.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 08:04:20 AM

And tanks pigs fly.

Unfortunatly, the P39 does indeed fly, though you don't want to turn and burn in it (it has a ntasy stall). If you're refering the P47, its the rumored Tier 4 french fighter, but no word on that yet.

Anyways, it's a open beta next week, you can do you're review then. :)

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 08:49:26 AM

Why do I keep seeing this purple sky?
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 12:13:14 PM

If you ask me flying tanks are a feature. I'll take flying tanks over camping in an EQ clone any day.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #8 on: August 20, 2005, 12:16:58 PM

Katukov Strikes Back
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2005, 02:46:20 PM

I'll jump on this grenade. Now that I'm settled in a new state and have pumped some upgrades (including the ditching of my 56k) into my computer I've been trying out war game demos left and right. No problem adding WWIIOL to the list and tinkering around with the units offline. My short experience is as follows:

1. Downloaded and installed Full Windows Client

2. Adjusted video settings to my liking and saved them

3. Pressed "Practice offline" and got an instant CTD and windows error message

4. All letters in the text in the settings panel are replaced with #'s (I.E. Sound = #####)

5. Attempted to adjust video setting blindly to anything that would make the game launch

6. All attempts at "practice offline" result in instant CTD without windows error messages

7. Program is removed from my PC via the control panel because CRS didn't put an uninstall option in the program menu.

8. Just got an e-mail conformation that my copy of "T-72 Balkans in Fire" shipped   smiley

I added that last one because I think stories should have happy endings...and I like the squishing sound a man makes when hit by 44 tons of steel going at 30 miles per hours.

From the equipment list I see that CRS is moving straight into 1944 territory with M10s and M4A2 for the French and PZIVG and STUG-Fs for the Germans. So long early war era, we hardly knew yee. Oh, and their adding the tiger. Can't wait to see the whining that one causes on both sides. The Allied tanks can't kill it and the Tiger will be a Bomber magnet that will be lucky to get out of the AB. Break out the popcorn, the forum posts alone will be entertaining enough.

P.S. Operation Flashpoint moders finally figured out that "lean to the left and right with standing, crouched, or prone" thing.  Did the poor infantry in WWIIOL get that yet?

P.S.S. Will Italy be added before or after the French get the Eurofighter2000?
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 21, 2005, 08:52:12 PM

From the equipment list I see that CRS is moving straight into 1944 territory with M10s and M4A2 for the French and PZIVG and STUG-Fs for the Germans. So long early war era, we hardly knew yee. Oh, and their adding the tiger. Can't wait to see the whining that one causes on both sides. The Allied tanks can't kill it and the Tiger will be a Bomber magnet that will be lucky to get out of the AB. Break out the popcorn, the forum posts alone will be entertaining enough.

Well the Sherman, IVG etc are all 1942. The Spitfire IX, FW, P38, Tiger/Churchill/M10 are all 1943, and the box cover does say 1940-43.

Yes, the Tiger whining on both sides is approching nuclear levels. We have some axis whining that's it's not going to be invunrable and do quad damage, and the allies all saying it will be the RDP tourist to end all RDP tourism (the practice of players switching sides for the cool new uber toy). The M10 is a tank with no roof, and the Churchill is slower than a jogging infantryman, so I tend to agree with that part myself.

The Tiger will indeed be a bomb magnet, as it was, and as it should be :)

P.S. Operation Flashpoint moders finally figured out that "lean to the left and right with standing, crouched, or prone" thing.  Did the poor infantry in WWIIOL get that yet?

Yes, been in game for over a year(?) now (not prone though), though it's not as useful as it could be. 1.19 added crouched running too.
P.S.S. Will Italy be added before or after the French get the Eurofighter2000?

Well they say tha BEFORE the North Africa game the'll be 1-2(?) expansions of 1-2 armies (CRS hasn't said who). We've seen models of the italions, and the US is an obvious choice (as half thier armour and planes are already modeled).

And don't be silly, giving the French a EURO plane after 1940 is inconcivebale (least for CRS), though appenrtly the Leo451 might FIANNLY be getting added at the same time as the Ju88 and Welligton (probably next year though is my guess).  :D

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2005, 09:50:15 AM

You know what? Because I've talked so much shit about CRS and WWIIO in the past, I am actually going to try to get in this, download and play it.

Woe betide CRS if it really does suck the monkey nuts I've heard it does.

WayAbvPar

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005, 10:23:46 AM

I may check it out. However, after playing the BF games, WWIIOL is just too slow and stagnant. Not to mention the Alliance v Horde-like player numbers; the Allied forces were constantly outnumbered when last I played.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: August 25, 2005, 07:59:07 AM

You can now create accounts for the beta here.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #14 on: August 26, 2005, 10:06:21 AM

Signed up, waiting for email.

naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 26, 2005, 12:56:28 PM

Are submarines implemented yet? Is there any such thing as a naval theatre?

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 26, 2005, 03:25:31 PM

Wow.

I downloaded the game, installed it, hit launch.

5 Minutes later the game is loaded.

Runs like shit, witch is fitting, since the graphics look like shit as well.

I tried two times to do one of those "Missions" that are given out, after dying, you have to reload the whole map which took another 2-5 minutes.

I uninstalled it after quiting the game took another 5 minutes.

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 26, 2005, 03:51:51 PM

Wow.

I downloaded the game, installed it, hit launch.

5 Minutes later the game is loaded.

Runs like shit, witch is fitting, since the graphics look like shit as well.

I tried two times to do one of those "Missions" that are given out, after dying, you have to reload the whole map which took another 2-5 minutes.

I uninstalled it after quiting the game took another 5 minutes.

I don't know what your system specs are but this game runs like crap unless you have 1Gig of memory, 2Gig+ processor, and blazing fast video card. 

All this to get a decent framerate for an ugly looking game.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: August 26, 2005, 03:59:27 PM

Did you people not see my earlier writeup?  Tell me the truth; were I to say that the sandwich I was eating had shit in it you'd have to take a bite just to verify it, wouldn't you?

To hell with you all.  You've earned your pain.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #19 on: August 26, 2005, 04:03:25 PM

Did you people not see my earlier writeup?  Tell me the truth; were I to say that the sandwich I was eating had shit in it you'd have to take a bite just to verify it, wouldn't you?

To hell with you all.  You've earned your pain.

I will be taking the bullet this weekend. I trust your review was accruate, Big Gulp, but this is a relaunch! The shit has magicially turned into yogurt!
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: August 27, 2005, 02:30:10 AM

5 Minutes later the game is loaded..

I assume you have less than 1 gig of ram (with that descpription, it sounds like 256). Video card isn't as important, I run it on a Geforce 4200/64meg.

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: August 27, 2005, 03:25:22 AM

5 Minutes later the game is loaded..

I assume you have less than 1 gig of ram (with that descpription, it sounds like 256). Video card isn't as important, I run it on a Geforce 4200/64meg.
512 Mb to be correct. Just checked the minimum system requirements:

1.2 GHz CPU (2 GHz Recommended)
 512 MB of RAM (1GB Recommended)
 128 MB 3D Video Card

So I meet them. I even have blazing 1,4 GHz Cpu power.
The games in unplayable at the lowest settings with those specs. Where are "minimum system requirements" theese days ? Is it enough that the games loads ? You do not have to be able to play the game ? I just don't get it.

Had I bought the box, looking at the requirements, I would have shoved it down the throat of the poor sales monkey that sold it to me. And by doing so, I would have had more fun than by playing that Pos.

This makes me sad, I liked what I saw, game-mechanics wise.  Sad Panda

Edit: Fixed the quotes
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 05:37:42 AM by Der Helm »

Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: August 27, 2005, 04:50:50 AM

Where are "minimum system requirements" theese days ? Is it enough that the games loads ? You do not have to be able to play the game ? I just don't get it.

As far as I can tell, yes. Whatever listed as the "min" requirements is you can load the game....I see that to be true with EVERY game released these days. That's a different topic, could use it's own thread.

1.4 with 512meg of ram should be able to run the game, but on lowest details. What was the last FPS you've played though? Hows BF2 run for you?

This makes me sad, I liked what I saw, game-mechanics wise.  Sad Panda

Which of corse, if the great tragady of games like WW2OL or SB. There's no othe game like WW2OL beyond Planetside...and I don't know of ANY on the horizon. Auto Assault sounds like it has the mechancies of EQ everytime I read about it.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: August 27, 2005, 05:03:36 AM

1.4 with 512meg of ram should be able to run the game, but on lowest details. What was the last FPS you've played though? Hows BF2 run for you?

Actually, I can answer this one.  I have a 1.4 Ghz, although with a bit more RAM; 768 megs of pitiful SDRAM, to be precise.  Runs like a dream.  I run it at 1024X768 with everything turned down but terrain textures, which are set at medium.  I easily get 40 FPS at those settings, and even though I don't have all the bells and whistles on, the game's still gorgeous.

Soooo....  What's WWIIOL's excuse again?
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: August 27, 2005, 05:47:35 AM

Hm. I really have to think about that. Last (as in newest) FPS could have been Planetside, I honestly can't remember.
he BF2 demo did not even start on my computer evil , no idea why but I might try it out later

Which of corse, if the great tragedy of games like WW2OL or SB. There's no othe game like WW2OL beyond Planetside...and I don't know of ANY on the horizon. Auto Assault sounds like it has the mechancies of EQ everytime I read about it.
Don't worry, our time will come. Most hopefully during our livetime ...

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: August 27, 2005, 05:48:59 AM

Soooo....  What's WWIIOL's excuse again?

High polygon counts on the weapon models  ?

Edit: Because I thought is is funnier with a picture
« Last Edit: August 27, 2005, 05:52:38 AM by Der Helm »

Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Reply #26 on: August 27, 2005, 08:37:34 AM

So I signed up for the free trial.

A day later, I have still not received my account information.

I did, however, receive an e-mail telling me I have less than 2 days left and I should think about subscribing to their wonderful little game.

I go to support to see about sending a new account activation email. They tell me I can reset my password so I go to the form for that. Wait, that form requires information that I don't have because I haven't received my account activation email. Ok, fine. I can submit a support ticket. WAIT! I need my login and password to do that.

Thanks chucklefucks.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: August 27, 2005, 03:33:40 PM

High polygon counts on the weapon models  ?
Edit: Because I thought is is funnier with a picture

Objection you're honor, thats a Pre 1.19 screenshot! The trees look nicer now (yes, the rifle is still the same though). And the high system requirments are mostly because you CAN see other people up to 4km away (so you're system has to be able to track and load stuff within 16 square kilometers). The rifle picture can shoot and hit targets 1000 meters away, and that all has to be tracked.

Yes the graphics arn't as good as most other FPS's. WW2OL will never win that award. I still think the new 1.19.5 trees look pretty realistic myself.

Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: August 27, 2005, 03:38:32 PM

16km would be for a 4x4km box. What you really mean is 16*pi since the radius is 4km.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: August 27, 2005, 03:39:31 PM

Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: August 27, 2005, 03:52:49 PM

The rifle picture can shoot and hit targets 1000 meters away, and that all has to be tracked.
Well, during the round about 30 minutes I ran around in this game, I did not see a single enemy soldier.
Then I died.
Now I know why.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #31 on: August 27, 2005, 03:55:34 PM

Damnit let this thread DIE.

There's got to be another reason that it keeps being brought up other than that some of you "like" it. I mean, do you not play other games? Is your computer not up to snuff, and so in turn, this is all you have?

Wtf?
Brolan
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: August 27, 2005, 10:14:11 PM

Damnit let this thread DIE.

Thats what a lot of us want the game to do, but it just keeps hanging in there...
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: August 28, 2005, 02:55:00 AM

There's got to be another reason that it keeps being brought up other than that some of you "like" it. I mean, do you not play other games? Is your computer not up to snuff, and so in turn, this is all you have?

Wtf?

Wtf? It's the first OPEN beta on the main server the game's ever had (there have been other open betas, some years(?) ago, but not on the live server). It goes over a 3 day period that I origanlly posted a week beforehand to give some notice. For bad or worse, some have spent the time telling the rest of us thier expericnes (so far HERE it's all bad news it would seem). It's essentially the only way you'll get a preview *here* for the re-release of BattleGround Europe.

Yes I play other games. After a few weeks or month or two, I finish them. Sure I might replay them from time to time, but how often can you play a game before you know it off by heart, or it gets out of date? People STILL talk about UO, 7 years after it's release. What, you don't think WoW or EQ2 will be around in 3 years time? (though judging from the threads talking about both on this fourm...mabye not).

The thread will die a naturally death by next week because the beta/welcome solider will be over and we'll be done.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #34 on: August 28, 2005, 03:37:54 AM

[EDIT] You know what?

I feel guilty for writing what I just did. I don't know why, but I do. It wasn't inflammatory or anything.

Anyways...Have fun and enjoy...Or something. It's none of my business.

[EDIT] I'll just answer that one question: Why do people talk about WoW, UO, or EQ?

Well, there are two types of games in the mmog genre: Badly implemented good ideas. And badly implemented bad ideas. WWIIOL, of course, falls in the latter category. Not even Shadowbane is in such company. World War II Online sits amongst the rotting corpses of games like Horizons or AC2 (oh wait, they're not exactly dead yet...Still, we don't hear as much about them, do we?). This category deserves, at the most, a "launch thread", and "a death thread". That's it. No "relaunch" threads. No beta threads. No parachute threads, etc., etc., etc..

The problem I'm having is: WWIIOL just won't die. It's well into decay and rot phase, and yet, it's still here. Walking. Even without Bruce's help, it's stands on it's own two feet. And that pisses me off.

I'm willing to talk and see another thread about it again -- But only when it's buried, gone, and ready to be forgotten. But for now, the fact that it even came into being is enough discussion for me.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2005, 04:22:19 AM by Stray »
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: WW2OL open beta and welcome back soldier Next week  
Jump to: