Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: You've Come A Long Way, Geekpants Part Deux: G4 TechTV's Video Game Vixens 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: You've Come A Long Way, Geekpants Part Deux: G4 TechTV's Video Game Vixens  (Read 29362 times)
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #70 on: September 07, 2005, 03:01:30 PM

I thought that was a requiste to being an expert on Japanese media....

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
schild
Administrator

Reply #71 on: September 07, 2005, 03:10:14 PM

I thought that was a requiste to being an expert on Japanese media....

Just because someone knows more about something than you doesn't make them an expert. It just makes you an uninformed schmuck when you enter conversations about said topic. I'm not talking about you in particular here, just in general how these things work. For example, the playstation 2. We get it. You don't have one. You're broke and in college. Great. Now shut the fuck up.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #72 on: September 07, 2005, 03:14:16 PM

I dub thee "Mod of Strazos".

*But who the fuck am I, anyhow?  undecided

[edit] Or in other words:

Owned (I hate that word too...But it's suitable).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:20:32 PM by Stray »
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #73 on: September 07, 2005, 03:37:31 PM

We have pictures for such occasions!

Somewhat on-topic for the derail: I somehow got my wife to actual watch and like both Aqua Teens and Sealab.  I'm really not sure how I managed that. 

-Rasix
Strazos

Reply #74 on: September 07, 2005, 03:44:48 PM

For example, the playstation 2. We get it. You don't have one. You're broke and in college. Great. Now shut the fuck up.

There was a time when I owned one.

I then traded it in for an Xbox, because I didn't like the PS2 library, and liked some of the games coming down the pipeline for Xbox.

I'm considering trading in all my Xbox stuff for cash or credit, because I don't use the damn thing.

EDIT: I tend to be disappointed by consoles for one reason or another. I tend to be let down more often by the console games I buy than by PC games, and I've only ever bought 1 (arguably) bad PC game, to my knowledge.

EDIT 2: ooo....Arcanum and Star Trek: Armada;  make that two and a half.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2005, 03:49:18 PM by Strazos »

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #75 on: September 07, 2005, 04:25:23 PM

EDIT: I tend to be disappointed by consoles for one reason or another. I tend to be let down more often by the console games I buy than by PC games, and I've only ever bought 1 (arguably) bad PC game, to my knowledge.

It seems like a lot of things disappoint you or don't meet your standards.  I can only imagine that you grew up on Mt. Olympus before being cast down with us mortals and only the sweetest ambrosia can satisfy you.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #76 on: September 07, 2005, 04:48:07 PM

Somewhat on-topic for the derail: I somehow got my wife to actual watch and like both Aqua Teens and Sealab.  I'm really not sure how I managed that. 

Uhh...I thought you were a chick.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #77 on: September 07, 2005, 05:01:47 PM

Uhh...I thought you were a chick.

Boy is his wife gonna be pissed when she finds out!  evil

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #78 on: September 07, 2005, 06:48:07 PM

Same here, but I suppose that she likes dumb/random humor... which explains why she married me.  My MST3K'ing of Atelier Iris had her sides hurting last night.  She is totally on-board with all the good Adult Swim, being the one ordering the ATHF and Birdman DVDs as proof.  We are on edge with that Venture Bros. cliffhanger.

Not sure what made the Big O animation so bad, unless you mean the use of only black and red ink.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Jain Zar
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: September 08, 2005, 03:16:07 PM

Ironically I have been an anime fan since 1990.  But not enough of one that I can't adore quality western productions.

I mean, shit.  Superman and Captain Marvel's fight on Justice League Unlimited beats almost every fight I have ever seen in an anime ever.  COMBINED.  I love the Timm/Dini DC shows.  Love the cool art style, love the stories. Hell, give them the controls of the DC comic books.  Might keep shit like the end of War Games from happening.  (Which is extra shitty since its pretty awesome till then.  Sort of like going from the current Teen Titans comic to having Liefield drawing it for 2 months.  It makes the bad look worse since its replacing goodness.)

Ive been lucky.  I like anime but I don't worship Japanese stuff.  Hell, I have a BIGGER disgust for the Hentai and the Pocky and the shitty console RPGs because of my knowledge of anime.

Doesn't hurt most anime sucks now, and whatever is cool (like Azumanga Diaho), gets ruined by the Internet and Dojinshi deviants so I can't ever share or enjoy because where I see a cool or sweet show they see spank material.  Deviant spank material.

And its because of those fuckos that I can't even say I love the Kim Possible show without someone claiming its being a pervert, instead of liking the pop culture slams and the general high quality funny.

This is all anime and anime fandom's fault.

Apparently the otaku of the world want to out freak the furries or some shit.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #80 on: September 08, 2005, 11:55:01 PM

About the DC comics shows: I think they have gotten progressively worse. Batman:TAS was gold. Batman Baryond I hear was really good, though I only saw an ep or 2. Superman was ok, as was Justice League. JLU is pretty bad IMO. Way too many 2 part stories that only have enough content for 1 part, way too many characters, etc.

It seems to me that in Justice League and JLU, a large part of the fun is knowing and recognizing the characters from the comics. If you don't half of them come of as very extraneous and silly. Look, it's a bat woman. Look, it's some sort of Cowboy and a guy riding a pegasus or some shit...

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #81 on: September 09, 2005, 09:38:59 AM

I dunno, I agree that there's too many characters and you get lost sometimes, but there've been some pretty good stories in there.   I really liked the Booster Gold episode, but that's me.

Some of the issues explored in the most current season were interesting takes on things. Nothing that I'd like to see as the greater-continuity of the DC Universe (as much as I care, which isn't much) but were good nonetheless. I also really liked that they kind of wrapped-up Batman Beyond for those of us who'd wanted to see more of the show before it was canned.

If you dislike JLU, I'd REALLY avoid that new Batman cartoon on the WB.  It's like Batman done by the ad execs who came up with Mt. Dew's "EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEME" image.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #82 on: September 09, 2005, 12:08:19 PM

BUZZZ FUCKING BUNNNNY, BITCHAZZZ!!

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #83 on: September 09, 2005, 01:02:32 PM

Some of the issues explored in the most current season were interesting takes on things. Nothing that I'd like to see as the greater-continuity of the DC Universe (as much as I care, which isn't much) but were good nonetheless.

Actually, a lot of what they explored this current season is eerily (and I gather this was planned) similar to the things that are happening in current DC continuity with the prelude to Infinite Crisis stuff (only without the rape and murder of Sue Dibney and the subsequent mind-wiping issues). They haven't quite gotten to the level of animosity between the big 3 that the comics are getting to now, but it's been close.

As a diehard comics fan, seeing all those obscure characters like Wildebeest in JLU just makes it that much better. The portrayal of the characters that have been more than window dressing, like Green Arrow, Black Canary, Captain Atom, etc. has either been really true to the comics, or really well done and fit in with the universe.

Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #84 on: September 12, 2005, 03:50:48 AM

JLU started off kind of weak.  I wasn't too impressed.  This last season though has just been so fucking good.  I go into complete geek-out moments every episode, and squeel with joy.  And it's just well written and witty for the most part.  Like Batman bailing out of the Batwing and losing his parachute in midair in the middle of a large scale battle.

Into the com-link:
"This is Batman.  I could use some air support.  Because I can't fly.  At all.  Now would be good."

The crossovers with Batman Beyond were quite fantastic.

Present Batman in the future:  "I'll hit the streets, see what I can dig up."
Batman Beyond: "That might not be such a good idea, we've got a different breed of lowlife these days."
Present Batman in the future:  "Are criminals still superstitious and cowardly?"
Aged Bruce Wayne:  "Oh yeah."
Present Batman in the future:  "I'll be fine."

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: September 12, 2005, 10:15:17 PM

I think part of my problem is that they have a lot of 2-part episodes that don't seem to have enough content to really be 2 parts.

Overall though I think it is safe to say that JLU is meant to appeal much more to DC Comics fans than the other series. You don't need to know that much to watch B:TAS or normal JL, but a lot of the enjoyment for JLU seems to be in all the random characters and such. I guess it's better if you are a big DC fan, but it just leaves me cold. The stories and characters just aren't that compelling to me.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Strazos

Reply #86 on: September 12, 2005, 10:19:44 PM

I'm not even a big DC fan, or even a comic guy, and I still like JLU for the multitude of characters.

Take that for whatever it's worth.

Fear the Backstab!
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #87 on: September 15, 2005, 06:56:57 PM

Star Trek: Armada is quite kickass, but only if you go here.

Aside from the nerd-glee of watching the Enterprise get it's ass handed to it by an Imperial Star Destroyer, this mod also adds a SHITLOAD of content.  The smallest of the three Federation shipyards can build more different classes of scout ship, with this mod, than the entire unmodded faction had ships of any sort.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Archived: We distort. We decide.  |  Topic: You've Come A Long Way, Geekpants Part Deux: G4 TechTV's Video Game Vixens  
Jump to: