Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2017, 08:49:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 197308 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1750 on: June 21, 2017, 09:18:02 PM

So my food processor. I'm barely tapping into its potential and loving it.

I did some cod cakes with a garlic lemon aeoli (using my homemade olive oil mayo of course). After making the mayo and aeoli, just pulse some cod cubes. Put in a chilled bowl and lightly toss with some aeoli, s&p, an egg yolk and a little panko. Then form into cakes, lightly coat with panko (the internal yolk/aeoli moisture means a 1 step dredge!) and sautee in hot oil, flipping once to preserve the crisp coating.

But tonight's bachelor noms were even simpler. Just pulsed some 1" cubed chuck steak (I had to stop into the hell that is walmart, so I scrapped real dinner plans due to the scarcity of quality ingredients and found a nicely marbled piece of chuck). Into the chilled bowl, tossed with some s&p (mid-coarse p), garlic/onion powder and smoked paprika. Smoking hot pan for a couple minutes a side, then reduce and give it another couple minutes on each side to cook the interior. Crusty and delicious. Onto toasted potato rolls with some provo and A1 thick for the acidity.

I'd probably change the A1 out because it overpowered the smoked pap, though it did balance the fat of the burgers nicely. If I had access to better ingredients, probably would top with some greens tossed in herbed vinegar instead.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1751 on: June 22, 2017, 07:36:02 AM

This is something I need to work on as well.  I see pros make pasta with a food processor and I just can't get the process right.  I can make fresh pasta by hand, but tend to overwork the dough or not get the consistency right when I use a food processor.  I must look to the wisdom of Youtube!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1752 on: June 22, 2017, 09:05:44 AM

My food processor remains my great shame as a half Lebanese.

I've tried and failed, several times, to make restaurant style garlic sauce for chicken.  It takes emulsifying oil with garlic and lemon juice.  I've dredged youtube, recipe books, even talked with a friend that runs a restaurant back home.  I just can't get the sauce to stay the right consistency.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1753 on: June 22, 2017, 03:00:02 PM

This is something I need to work on as well.  I see pros make pasta with a food processor and I just can't get the process right.  I can make fresh pasta by hand, but tend to overwork the dough or not get the consistency right when I use a food processor.  I must look to the wisdom of Youtube!
I've been holding out for a stand mixer to try pasta by machine. I've had success making it by hand, but I don't like rolling it out and cutting it (I'd get a pasta attachment to roll sheets on the mixer).

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1754 on: June 22, 2017, 03:07:19 PM

My food processor remains my great shame as a half Lebanese.

I've tried and failed, several times, to make restaurant style garlic sauce for chicken.  It takes emulsifying oil with garlic and lemon juice.  I've dredged youtube, recipe books, even talked with a friend that runs a restaurant back home.  I just can't get the sauce to stay the right consistency.

Maybe a blender instead?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #1755 on: June 23, 2017, 03:30:25 AM

Stick blender, use that with the garlic, oil, and lemon juice, can you cheat an add any vinegar? Emulsions can be a bear to keep right.

Oh not sure if this goes here or should put in beer thread, but found leinenkugel watermelon shandy was a bit off in taste, almost too sweet. But then I picked up a 6 pack of Mike's Hard Watermelon lemonade, and when you mix the two together, one decent shandy. By themselves they were sweet, but then together it balanced out. That and grilled hot dogs on the coals were awesome summer night (the new oscar meyer all angus beef are pretty decent for a mid week meal). I'm going to make a watermelon "skip and get naked" drink later this week. That or a gin fizz with watermelon, since they are up and available at the stands.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1756 on: June 23, 2017, 03:58:13 PM

I've been holding out for a stand mixer to try pasta by machine. I've had success making it by hand, but I don't like rolling it out and cutting it (I'd get a pasta attachment to roll sheets on the mixer).

I make my own pasta fairly regularly. I don't have a mixer to put the cutting attachment on, so I picked up a "pasta mandolin". Basically just a frame with like 20 guitar strings stretched tight across it. Not perfect, but it does result in uniform linguine pretty quickly. My kick lately though has been herb and ricotta ravioli in olive oil/butter with Parmesan.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1757 on: July 26, 2017, 05:41:27 PM

Seeking another silly hobby, I've taken to hand-sharpening my cutlery for the last few months or so.  I have no idea how I managed beforehand - I'd keep them what I thought was sharp, but a freshly honed and stropped blade is damn near magic.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1758 on: July 27, 2017, 10:18:06 AM

It is quite an art to do well (I'm terrible at it). I've watched my sister's step-father-in-law, who is the Canadian equivalent of a Hillbilly, work on an old rusty knife that basically looked like a small machete. Five minutes later, he had that thing sharp enough to go through a Christmas Ham like butter. It was frighteningly sharp.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1759 on: July 27, 2017, 06:25:47 PM

It is quite an art to do well (I'm terrible at it). I've watched my sister's step-father-in-law, who is the Canadian equivalent of a Hillbilly, work on an old rusty knife that basically looked like a small machete. Five minutes later, he had that thing sharp enough to go through a Christmas Ham like butter. It was frighteningly sharp.

I didn't find it that tough to pick up, though I also leveraged some of the stuff I learned about sharpening woodworking chisels years ago, which was a huge help going in.  I mostly spent an an hour or so watching videos and reading and was able to get solid results from the get go.

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1760 on: July 27, 2017, 10:12:58 PM

Growing up redneck, had to learn to sharpen stuff. Axes, chisels, knives, mower blades, etc. It's also humorous that my fiancee gets scared every time I use my honing steel in the kitchen. Too many movies!

When I was a kid I sometimes used the wheel, but now I just use the hand stone when they need some touching up. Great skill to have.

Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: