Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:41:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 526112 times)
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #1645 on: January 09, 2017, 06:16:42 PM

Our Kroger carries Nishiki and Botan Calrose rice. Both are actually grown in California. I'm told they taste different but I can't tell them apart. And yeah, follow the instructions given above with either of them to make nice sticky rice for sushi. You can shortcut Khaldun's sushi vinegar recipe with a premade mix like Nishiki Sushi Vinegar.  Which is also fermented from rice which I find pretty cool.

I'm way too lazy and impatient to do all the proper sushi rolling and shaping and decorating, although I love to watch it done!  awesome, for real  So my favorite homemade "sushi" is to lay a slice of cold smoked salmon on one of those precut toasted seaweed sheets that come in snack packs, add a glob of sushi rice, fold like a soft taco or wrap and chow down.  I haven't let my mom-in-law see me do that though!

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1646 on: January 31, 2017, 02:33:00 PM

So.....Sous Vide.  Anyone using it? 
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1647 on: January 31, 2017, 08:26:39 PM

I did some of it years ago when I was subscribed to Home Bistro, but back then I just boiled everything in a pot of water.  I have a co-worker that uses one of the new machines constantly.  He is a rather fit and trustworthy sort.  So, it works as a food prep system but doesn't really fit my lifestyle or the palates of the Picky Petes that I live with.

We recently switched from Blue Apron to Plated and are more satisfied with the service.  Unrelated to sous vide completely.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1648 on: February 04, 2017, 06:15:09 AM

We tried salmon in the Sous Vide the other night.  I put it in the suck down with 1/3 cup of honey, 1/3 cup of olive oil, a squeezed lemon, some salt and pepper, a pat of butter and some dill weed.  Put it in the bath at 110 degrees for an hour and a half.  Came out perfect.  So far am a big fan.  We have also done a few steaks, which are pretty easy.  I tend to sear them afterwards with a lower heat for a little longer to get a thicker band of seared meat. 

My next attempt will be a giant sirloin cap steak (picanha without the cap of fat) and then a beef brisket. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #1649 on: February 05, 2017, 03:31:14 AM

So.....Sous Vide.  Anyone using it?  

I use it a fair amount on mutton, game,  onglet, anything high flavour that needs help on texture.

I've never been a fan of the results on chicken or fish. Lamb and mutton seem to do even better than beef or veal.

Greatest thing ever to come from it was a mutton Wellington. Water bath a mutton fillet for a some number of hours, cool in a ice bath for safety as wellington prep is not fast and ideally includes resting in the fridge. Prepare the wellington as you would with beef - preferably use the recipe on Serious Eats.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 03:36:10 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1650 on: February 05, 2017, 06:09:14 PM

I still am a braise-old-style guy, the flavor is incomparable when it works. Sous Vide stuff often tastes mushy and flavorless to me unless someone really knows what they're trying to do with it. It makes more sense to me as a strategy for quick-firing something like a steak so you're just crusting the outside, or for doing soft-boiled eggs, etc.

Made an *insane* snack food thing yesterday from Nigel Slater's amazing book Eat: The Little Book of Fast Food. Popcorn with some chopped up fried chicken skin chopped up, rosemary, and chicken fat/butter. I don't think you could have it more than once a year but wow.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #1651 on: February 06, 2017, 06:43:03 AM

I've been making egg mcmuffins at home. Swapping in browned canadian bacon and swiss cheese. Should probably get an egg poaching setup, I've just been doing them over hard.

It's about the only fast food I actually like, and it's of course a lot better at home with proper ingredients.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1652 on: February 07, 2017, 05:42:17 AM

I've been making egg mcmuffins at home. Swapping in browned canadian bacon and swiss cheese. Should probably get an egg poaching setup, I've just been doing them over hard.

It's about the only fast food I actually like, and it's of course a lot better at home with proper ingredients.

I do the same on weekend mornings sometimes.  Good stuff and beats the crap out of the stuff at the golden arches.

You can poach eggs in the oven with a muffin tin and a bit of boiling water.  Super easy and pretty much foolproof.

Lately, I've been fucking around sorting out a proper ramen - currently using a beef and pork bone stock, dried shiitake mushrooms pulverized into powder and some white miso. The neighbors are big fans so far.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 05:49:45 AM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1653 on: February 07, 2017, 07:45:42 AM

Nice, didn't think of muffin tins!

Though I'm tempted to just get the Hamilton Beach sammich maker and be super lazy about it...
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1654 on: February 12, 2017, 05:03:37 PM

Did a beef brisket with the sous vide for 24 hours at 155 degrees, then followed with smoking for 3 hours.  It's really good.  I was a bit rushed for time, so finished at 24 hours.  Probably could have done an extra 12 hours and then smoked it.  I'm very happy with the results so far though, nice and tender but not mushy.  Very good technique for barbecue if you don't want to sit around a fire all night long.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 06:20:13 PM by ghost »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1655 on: February 12, 2017, 06:01:46 PM

I sous vide most of my steaks at this point. I'll do filets at about 129 degrees and strips at 135. A quick sear at the end to get that caramelization and bark on the outside finishes the job.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1656 on: February 12, 2017, 06:47:35 PM

Sous vide strips at 135 with a quick sear in butter is as good as the best steakhouses in the city. There's no reason to go out anymore, we can have the exact same meal for 1/4 of the price.

The Anova wands are pretty damn good, managed to snag one on sale for $99 after Thanksgiving and its already paid for itself.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1657 on: February 12, 2017, 08:09:06 PM

Yeah, we got them at half off for a while when they first came out because Anova was trying to get in good with the House that Steve built.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1658 on: February 13, 2017, 07:57:37 AM

Grill for 3 seasons, cast iron for the 4th. I've been trying to talk myself into one of those but I just don't see the need for it.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1659 on: February 13, 2017, 03:19:10 PM

So, the thing which just hangs in the pot and warms it works fine?

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1660 on: February 13, 2017, 05:40:19 PM

Yes. We did this model: https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/ , the bluetooth only version. It's been fine for doing two strips, we're going to try four this weekend for visitors. The center is like butter.

I'm not even really a beef person, but I make an exception a few times a year for a quality steak.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1661 on: February 13, 2017, 06:31:53 PM

I'm thinking about getting that.  I just dropped $260 at Williams-Sonoma so I might wait a bit.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1662 on: February 13, 2017, 08:57:06 PM

I'm pretty sure I first heard about the concept of sous vide in this very thread a few years ago.

I like the results fine, but if I'm doing the cooking myself, I prefer having an excuse to sit around outside by the fire.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1663 on: February 14, 2017, 08:39:51 AM

Thing I don't get is, if I have to brown it in a pan, why not just cook it in the pan? Only takes like 10 minutes to cook most things.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #1664 on: February 14, 2017, 10:28:43 AM

I think the theory is that during the extra 10 minutes it takes to cook it through in the pan, it's losing precious moisture.  The sous vide concept is that you cook it within a sealed system so it keeps all its juices, and just sear it on the very outside.

My favorite steak recipe is to sear it in the pan and finish it in the oven on a plank, surrounded with mashed potatoes.  The juice that escapes the steak soaks into the potatoes like gravy, so nothing is wasted. Heart

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1665 on: February 14, 2017, 10:47:24 AM

The searing literally takes a minute or two. You can set up the sous-vide kind of like a slow cooker and just pop it out and sear it at the last minute. And yes, you keep all the juices.

I've got two aged wagyu filets that I'm sous-viding tonight for Valentine's Day and then I'll throw them on top of some asparagus tips and smother the whole thing in Bernaise sauce.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1666 on: February 14, 2017, 11:09:49 AM

My interest is in using it like a crock pot so that I can let something cook all day and have minimal prep once I get home.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1667 on: February 14, 2017, 11:29:37 AM

Ya'll need to revisit your technique if you're losing that much moisture from your meats!

We had to have our VD dinner last night (because I hang out with naked people tonight while she works). Had a couple strips, crusty and juicy.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1668 on: February 14, 2017, 01:34:06 PM

My interest is in using it like a crock pot so that I can let something cook all day and have minimal prep once I get home.

It works like that.  You do have to be aware that you use correct plastics though as some plastics will be dangerous at certain temperatures for prolonged periods of time.

Also, there are lots of recipes that call for like 120 for 20 hours or whatever, but be aware there are bacterial problems of basically providing an optimal breeding temperature for periods of time.  We never got bothered by it, but every recipe you find will usually have something about it in there.

I like using my sous vide, but honestly, the set up isn't worth it for me.  Extra steps over just using low temp oven cast iron cooking: (1) take apart a cooler so that the sous vide fits right, (2) fill with water, (3) let come to temp, (4) food vacuum the meat into plastic, (5) drop in water and cover so you don't lose too much water over a day.

I didn't notice it that much better than my sear/low oven method for steaks.  I haven't tried any other meats, but do want to do some ribs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1669 on: February 14, 2017, 03:14:55 PM

Why not just get a programmable slow cooker or Instant Pot (programmable pressure cooker)?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1670 on: February 14, 2017, 07:07:38 PM

Final results. The Bernaise sauce took more work than the steak.

Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1671 on: February 15, 2017, 12:34:42 PM

Why not just get a programmable slow cooker or Instant Pot (programmable pressure cooker)?

My wife has a nose like Wolverine and is overwhelmed by food smells.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1672 on: February 16, 2017, 07:37:46 PM

Grill for 3 seasons, cast iron for the 4th. I've been trying to talk myself into one of those but I just don't see the need for it.

Cast iron plus sous vide is amazing.   Heart
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1673 on: February 16, 2017, 07:43:20 PM

Exactly.

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1674 on: February 16, 2017, 08:43:11 PM

Or cast iron is amazing and soup vibe just adds a ton of fiddly nonsense to save 8 minutes of time.  why so serious?

Just had the most mouth-wateringly tender and flavorful salmon. I guess I'll just resign myself to not fixing what ain't broken.

Also, the monger is getting in some decent looking swordfish lately. Thinking about snagging some, but I've only cooked it on the grill thus far. Swordfish is so goddamned good if you get a nice clean cut.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1675 on: February 17, 2017, 04:22:34 PM

I only do beef sous-vide. Takes the randomness out. Fish, depending on the type and the cut is either cast iron with a little salt, pepper and olive oil, grilled with the same or roasted with some lemon and rosemary.

That or raw as sushi.

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1676 on: February 18, 2017, 01:33:07 PM

I've had good luck with salmon in the sous vide.  Going to keep at it. 

Last time I did 1/3 cup honey, 1/3 cup olive oil, juice from one lemon, fresh minced garlic, salt, pepper, and a pat of butter.  Ran it at 110 for about an hour and a half.  Was super tasty.
MisterNoisy
Terracotta Army

Reply #1677 on: February 18, 2017, 02:29:21 PM

Doing a giant stuffed (dried dates and golden raisins reconstituted with mandarin orange juice, chopped pecans and rosemary) pork chop with the Anova for dinner tonight.  Served it with cheddar mashed potatoes and some steamed asparagus.  I'm a huge fan of the Anova for meats and eggs - not sure what else I'd do with it, though.

(Edited to include/spoiler image)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 05:43:19 PM by MisterNoisy »

XBL GT:  Mister Noisy
PSN:  MisterNoisy
Steam UID:  MisterNoisy
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #1678 on: February 23, 2017, 07:20:57 PM

If you use cast iron a lot I just got one of these and love it. 

The Ringer

Makes cleanup super easy. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #1679 on: February 23, 2017, 07:44:12 PM

I just use a green scrub pad and hot water. Been serving me fine for a couple decades with my pan.

Would be nice to have something reusable, but cleaning the chainmail seems like more of a chore than cleaning the pan, since I only use the dishwasher about once a week but clean the pan almost daily.
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: