Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 07:50:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 529704 times)
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #70 on: October 06, 2005, 11:41:56 AM

It's okay, WAP. Just say it - you want to hate-fuck her.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #71 on: October 06, 2005, 11:43:36 AM

Hehe. There was a study in Playboy (IIRC) once about men's sexual proclivities- 58% of men admitted to having sex with women they actively disliked. I was amazed that the number was so low!

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #72 on: October 06, 2005, 11:56:42 AM

You fail Rachael Ray!
Who? I only know her through comments you folks have made here. Evoo = extra virgin olive oil.
WayAbvPar

Reply #73 on: October 06, 2005, 12:08:13 PM

You fail Rachael Ray!
Who? I only know her through comments you folks have made here. Evoo = extra virgin olive oil.

Rachael Ray calls it EVOO and then explains what the acronym means on 99% of her shows. It is really annoying.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #74 on: October 06, 2005, 12:10:38 PM

Yeah, sorta defeats the purpose of having an acronym. Also, EVOO is four syllables, whereas "olive oil" is just three. I don't bother saying "extra virgin", cuz that's just a given.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #75 on: October 06, 2005, 12:34:30 PM

Two syllables! E-VOO!
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #76 on: October 15, 2005, 09:47:15 AM

Which Hamburger Helper flavor do you reccommend?  Should I add fresh Dill to that?
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #77 on: October 18, 2005, 10:03:55 AM

What are these "recipes" you speak of?  I'm generally of the "add things till it tastes good" school of cooking.   Rock Out

That's me.  My cooking journey began when I started having friends over for beer on Friday nights.  I got drunk one night and started throwing stuff together, and it turned out pretty good.  The hot wings I ended up with were 10 times better than the shit we were getting from a local pizza joint, and less than a quarter of the price.  I'll post the recipe to show that simple things can be good too.

12 chicken wings.
Montreal Steak Seasoning (you can use the Spicy kind for what we call Hellfire Wings, at your own risk.)
Lousianna Hotsauce

Dip wings in water.  Season both sides.  Stick in the oven at 375 degrees for an hour.  Ranch or Bleu cheese dressing, and/or honey is optional.

I've been told you can make buffalo sauce by melting butter in a pot of louisiana hotsauce.  I tried this once but used too much butter.  Maybe I'll wing it some more in the future until it turns out good, unless somebody already knows the secret and wants to share...

Maybe I'll post my Uber Ramen recipe later.
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #78 on: October 18, 2005, 11:26:12 AM

Use unsalted butter.

Makes better wings. You get the taste of the butter sans salt lick.

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #79 on: October 18, 2005, 11:30:26 AM

Welcome back, SuperPopTart! I am making a putanesca tonight. Our house reeks of crab today because I made crab and roasted corn risotto last night. Some friends of ours went crabbing and gave us a dungeoness crab that had a carapace 10 inches across! After cleaning it and making crab stock, the house is stank. That is all. Oh, the risotto rocked.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #80 on: October 18, 2005, 12:18:18 PM

Risotto is like manna from Heaven.

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #81 on: October 18, 2005, 12:20:08 PM

sho nuff. I make it about once a week. Last night's was awesome except that dissecting a whole crab is SO not worth it.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #82 on: October 18, 2005, 02:22:03 PM

Use unsalted butter.

Makes better wings. You get the taste of the butter sans salt lick.

I like salt lick, but I need to get the ratio right.  Actually, I used margerine, maybe that's what went wrong.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #83 on: October 18, 2005, 03:48:03 PM

Actually, I used margerine, maybe that's what went wrong.

/bitchslap

what the fuck are you doing in my thread? get the fuck out!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #84 on: October 18, 2005, 10:15:07 PM

Montreal Steak Seasoning is good on everything.  It's a staple in my hamburgers, along with Worcestercestercestershire and sometimes a secret ingredient.  The secret ingredient could be almost anything, but I am partial to cinnamon or garlic.

Now let's get back to talking about Rachel Ray prone on a countertop and covered with EVOO.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
SuperPopTart
Terracotta Army

I am damn cute for a stubby shortling.

Reply #85 on: October 18, 2005, 10:35:47 PM

Welcome back, SuperPopTart! I am making a putanesca tonight. Our house reeks of crab today because I made crab and roasted corn risotto last night. Some friends of ours went crabbing and gave us a dungeoness crab that had a carapace 10 inches across! After cleaning it and making crab stock, the house is stank. That is all. Oh, the risotto rocked.

Thank you little VDL, I really wasn't gone so much as lurking.

Risotto = Evil.

And for all of you Rachel Ray humpers/lovers...

I am Super, I am a Pop Tart.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 19, 2005, 07:26:01 AM

Ok, I like her now! I should watch more tv, I guess.
I've been told you can make buffalo sauce by melting butter in a pot of louisiana hotsauce.  I tried this once but used too much butter.  Maybe I'll wing it some more in the future until it turns out good, unless somebody already knows the secret and wants to share...
I feel the best 'stock' wing sauce is butter melted into Frank's Red Hot. No recipe, just to taste. Put the hot sauce in a pot, warm it, melt in some butter until it tastes right (I love that part). Then toss in the fried wings (did someone bake those wings? FOR SHAME) and toss until coated.

I'm something of a wing cunnysewer, living relatively close to Buffalo, I've enjoyed them my whole life. I've also worked in my share of pizza joints. I remember when I first moved to California and we tried to order wings with our pizza. The place was all "Wings? What the hell are you talking about?" "Chicken wings, you know, hot sauce?" "Try KFC!" I shoulda opened a REAL pizza joint on the spot.
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #87 on: October 19, 2005, 09:03:15 AM

Actually, I used margerine, maybe that's what went wrong.

/bitchslap

what the fuck are you doing in my thread? get the fuck out!

This is a food thread.  You're supposed to hit people over the head with a pan, or whatever the gourmet equivalent is.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #88 on: October 19, 2005, 09:20:18 AM

/rolling pin

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #89 on: October 19, 2005, 11:42:21 AM

Is cunnysewer a historical typo?  It's intentional right?
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #90 on: October 19, 2005, 12:14:54 PM

I don't fuck around with frenchy words, sorry.
Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #91 on: October 19, 2005, 12:57:36 PM

Any opportunity you have to incorporate sewer into a french word is golden.
Hanzii
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: October 21, 2005, 03:55:33 AM

>

And for honourable mention, this is the real swedish Chef (you yanks can catch her on PBS - she's very cute)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I would like to discuss this more with you, but I'm not allowed to post in Politics anymore.

Bruce
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: October 21, 2005, 07:04:50 AM

And for honourable mention, this is the real swedish Chef (you yanks can catch her on PBS - she's very cute)
HERESY!!!

!!!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #94 on: October 21, 2005, 07:32:36 AM

Montreal Steak Seasoning is good on everything.  It's a staple in my hamburgers, along with Worcestercestercestershire and sometimes a secret ingredient.  The secret ingredient could be almost anything, but I am partial to cinnamon or garlic.

Try some lemon pepper sometime.  When grilling burgers I use Lemon Pepper, lemon Juice and garlic salt on the burgers. The sauces I use as toppings in place of ketchup or mustard (or with depending on how sloppy a burger I want)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #95 on: October 21, 2005, 09:03:19 AM

I like to mix chopped green olives and anchovies into my burger meat for that nicoise flave.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: October 21, 2005, 09:19:57 AM

I don't make hamburgers, I make mini-meatloafs. Not 'Bob's got mantits' meatloaf. Nice chunks of cheese, onion and jalapeno style.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #97 on: October 21, 2005, 09:43:26 AM

I once met Nigella Lawson shopping for food at a supermarket in London. Not as much of a bitch as I thought she'd be.

That said, my recipe for grilled salmon with cucumber and chili pepper salad.

Take one or two large cucumbers and slice them thinly into a bowl, add wine vinegar (or, if you're feeling Asian, rice wine vinegar) Chop up some dill and add it to the mixture Chop up a couple of red peppers for flavor and mix the ingredients together, letting the cucumbers get soft and foldy.

Meanwhile, grill the salmon on its side (to keep the skin crispy and intact) for a few minutes until it is slightly pink. Then, remove from the grill and place skin side up on a baking sheet and cook at medium heat until done to your satisfaction.

Then, on a plate, lay out a bed of the cucumber/pepper/dill mixture on a plate, lay the salmon on top. Enjoy.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #98 on: October 21, 2005, 09:47:31 AM

*tastes*

Hmm. Needs a pinch of salt and sugar.

I make a cucumber salad just like that but with sesame seeds added for that JPN thang.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: October 21, 2005, 09:54:59 AM

Grill those peppers while you're grillin'!
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #100 on: October 21, 2005, 10:01:13 AM

A handy trick I learned from reading MArtha Stweart Living: rub a slice of raw potato on the grill before grilling fish and it won't stick and flake apart when you try to flip it.

Surlyboi's recipe is very Scandinavian. Prolly be good with a little yogurt too. Did anyone ever eat at the salad bar at Ikea? The yummiest selection of pickled/dressed fish you can imagine. But your belches taste NAS-TAY for the rest of the day.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Mr_PeaCH
Terracotta Army

Reply #101 on: October 21, 2005, 11:29:41 AM

A handy trick I learned from reading Martha Stewart Living: rub a slice of raw potato on the grill before grilling fish and it won't stick and flake apart when you try to flip it.

Heh.  Learned the same thing from a recent Field & Stream magazine.  Still waiting to try it out though; what I catch typically gets turned into fish tacos or ceviche.

Speaking of which...

Beer-Battered Baja Style fish tacos

It's debatable whether or not batter-fried fish is 'authentico'... most places on both sides of the border make it this way but some of the better ones don't.  One thing's for sure, heath-concerns aside, beer-battered fish is a 'can't miss' even for most people who say they don't like fish.  Nuff said.

Choosing the fish
Fresh is always best.  If you grab a box of Gorton's out of the frozen section you lose.  If you get it from the store, stick with stuff labled 'rock cod', 'rockfish', 'pacific cod', 'red snapper', 'sea bass', 'grouper' halibut, flounder, sole, etc.  You want a basic non-oily whitemeat fish.  Mackerels, jacks, tunas are all out as are shark, swordfish.  Avoid anything that says 'seasoned' or has obnoxious looking orange pepper sprinkled on it.  Let your nose be your guide; fresh fish should not stink.

For the fixins you'll want:
  • soft, uncooked tortillas (corn preferrably; if flour they should be small.  If you grab a box of pre-formed Ortegas you lose.)
  • onion, diced
  • tomato, diced
  • cabbage, finely sliced (green, not purple; and don't try and substitute lettuce)
  • cilantro, minced
  • your favorite hot sauce and/or salsa
  • a lime or a lemon (or two)
  • mayonaise
  • plain yogurt  (just trust me on these last two for now)

Preparing the beer-batter:
Beer!  Plus flour or pancake batter.  You don't need a lot of either.  Take some of your flour/batter and stir in and mix some beer until you have a fairly thin consistency... thinner than you'd use for pancakes say (If you were going to make beer batter pancakes that is).  Put some more of the (dry) flour or batter in a large plastic bag.  Check for holes and leaks or double/triple wall it.  We're thinking plastic grocery bag sized here or similar.  (If you have some Old Bay type seasoning you wish to use, mix it in with the liquid and dry batter to taste.)

Preparing the fish:
Rinse your fish thoroughly under the sink just before cooking; not much sooner.  Check for and remove bones.  Rather than 'cube' the fish, think 'rectangle'; carve fillets into sections roughly pinky to thumb sized.  Take your homemade 'fish sticks' and place them in the bag with the dry flour.  Shake until pieces are well coated.  Get your frying pan ready.  Small pan, inch deep with vegetable oil (not olive!), med-high heat.  Have your beer batter in a small flat-bottomed dish or pan; add the fish.  Coat well, don't leave in for long.  Put in hot oil carefully.  Use tongs to turn pieces over after a minute or two.  It's hard to over-cook fish like this but avoid leaving in too long, they should not be overly dark and hardened.  Take a piece or two out and slice through to make sure they're not under-done.  When fish opaques and firms up (isn't clear and mushy) it's done.  Cook the fish (and tortillas) after all the rest of the spread is ready or else keep warm in low heat oven, etc.  Something to bear in mind as you prepare the fish and tortillas; you cannot have too many paper towels on hand.

Preparing the tortillas:
Probably best if you use a separate frying pan for the tortillas if you're going to fry them.  A little lower heat for these, a lot less oil.  Fried tortillas don't take long; do up a bunch, blot them with paper towels and stick them someplace warm or just prepare right before eating.  If you don't want them fried the next best ways to heat them up are to use a dry skillet -or- place a few in a paper sack and microwave for 20 seconds.

Preparing the white sauce:
Perhaps the most essential component to a great fish taco as well as the least understood.  Yes, equal parts mayo and plain yogurt (plus a healthy squeeze of lime and maybe a dash of tabasco or seasoning... mmm!) is the basis for 'white sauce'.  Should pour slowly off a spoon when blended; add more lime juice as needed.  Have this as well as the onion, tomato, cabbage, cilantro, hot sauce, etc. ready as you finish frying your fish and tortillas.  Apply the white sauce liberally to the mound of fried fish and fixins on your tortilla.  Use two hands to keep it all inside as long as possible; devour quickly.

Sabrosa!

COME ON YOU SPURS!
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: October 21, 2005, 11:52:50 AM

Mmm...I'm in the mood for fish now.

We don't like breaded/battered stuff, maybe I'll give it a shot like a chimichanga, wrapping it up burrito style with some cheese and deep frying the whole thing...

My damn deep fryer broke beyond repair this time, though :(
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #103 on: October 21, 2005, 11:55:49 AM

I've never owned a deep fryer.

I'm gonna have to add that to my list sooner or later. I long for the chance to create my own Truck Stop Burritos (Y'know, the "yellow" kind? Mmmm..).
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #104 on: October 21, 2005, 12:34:50 PM

Damnit now I want fish too.. and the wife hates seafood.  I curse you all for while you're eating well I'll have to settle for a can of tuna.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: