Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:38:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!! 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  (Read 529661 times)
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #105 on: October 21, 2005, 12:36:23 PM

The potato thing does work, by the way...

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Toast
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: October 21, 2005, 01:52:34 PM

My girlfriend's allergic to fish, so no beer battered fish tacos for me. The recipe is great though.

Here's another contribution:

Very, very delicious party dip:

1 small plastic tub of French Onion dip
1 packet of taco seasoning

Mix and serve with chips

A good idea is a good idea forever.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #107 on: October 21, 2005, 02:13:17 PM

My girlfriend's allergic to fish, so no beer battered fish tacos for me. The recipe is great though.

Here's another contribution:

Very, very delicious party dip:

1 small plastic tub of French Onion dip
1 packet of taco seasoning

Mix and serve with chips

Holy shit that is pure genius.  I am doing this as a snack tonight!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #108 on: October 21, 2005, 02:17:24 PM

Another dip that sounds like vomit but is surprisingly delicious:

plain or vanilla yogurt and brown sugar.

Tastes like caramel sauce when you dip apple slices in it.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #109 on: October 21, 2005, 02:20:48 PM

Another dip that sounds like vomit but is surprisingly delicious:

plain or vanilla yogurt and brown sugar.

Tastes like caramel sauce when you dip apple slices in it.

They have this as a dessert in the middle east, or something like it I should say.  Looks disgusting (you poke a hole in the bottom, flip it over, and let it ooze together before consuming), but damn it was tastilicious.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #110 on: October 21, 2005, 02:23:10 PM

Did you ever eat something called "ozzie (sp?)" in the middle east? It's like a Spanish tortilla (which is really like an omelette) with lotsa chopped herbs and pine nuts in it. I wanna learn how to make it for the next time I make a mezza.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #111 on: October 21, 2005, 02:27:02 PM

Did you ever eat something called "ozzie (sp?)" in the middle east? It's like a Spanish tortilla (which is really like an omelette) with lotsa chopped herbs and pine nuts in it. I wanna learn how to make it for the next time I make a mezza.

I have had everything from raw goat testicles (not cool) to chilled brains (never did find out from which animal).  My rule of thumb became no meat products after a few months of being in the region.  One thing that is delicious is a schwarma.  I think I lived on them about a month straight! 

Also the Turks have KILLER food and the best produce I have ever ate.  I recommend people stop by Greece or Turkey if they are ever in that part of the world! 

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #112 on: October 21, 2005, 02:32:56 PM

Yeah, Greeks and Turks make my favorite meals and dishes.

Luckily, I have a couple of friends, both lifelong Greek cooks, who can serve it up. Plus, a family friend who's even better than them (with pastries especially).

No need to travel a couple thousand miles to get it (not that that would be a bad thing either).
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #113 on: October 21, 2005, 02:36:15 PM

I have never had Turkish cuisine. I make a decent tagine once in awhile, but that's Moroccan. I love butter, honey and cheese. God bless the Mediterranean.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #114 on: October 21, 2005, 02:42:35 PM

Yeah, Greeks and Turks make my favorite meals and dishes.

Luckily, I have a couple of friends, both lifelong Greek cooks, who can serve it up. Plus, a family friend who's even better than them (with pastries especially).

No need to travel a couple thousand miles to get it (not that that would be a bad thing either).

Thats awesome.  Closest Turkish resteraunts I know of are up in DC.  Lamacun is pure heaven.  I would marry for it.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: October 21, 2005, 03:29:36 PM

I have never had Turkish cuisine. I make a decent tagine once in awhile, but that's Moroccan. I love butter, honey and cheese. God bless the Mediterranean.

There's a lot of crossover between Turkish and Greek cuisine.  Meatball dishes are popular, as is lamb, eggplant and yogurt.  You'll find parsley, dill, mint, cinnamon and/or cumin in many dishes.  Garlic, olives and olive oil are staples.  Pilafs and Kababs are famously Turkish, and some regions of Greece use a lot of pasta.  And of course there's various Baklavas for dessert.  There's many, many different types of Baklava actually; my favorite includes pistachios and isn't as cloyingly sweet as some you'll find in lesser restaurants.

If any of that sounds good to you, you'll find something you like out of Greek/Turkish cuisine.  I grew up on Greek food but alas, most of the recipies my grandparents made were lost when they passed on.  Been able to find similar recipies in cookbooks but doesn't really taste the same.  Still good, just not what I grew up on.  There's a surprising amount of regional variances in Greek cooking for such a small country, most of what you'll find in restaurants and cookbooks is Athenian.  If I can get the family versions of soutzoukakia (a type of meatball) or yuvarelakia (a rice meatball) to taste right, I'll post up recipies.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2005, 03:35:44 PM by Nevermore »

Over and out.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #116 on: October 21, 2005, 03:42:18 PM

If I can get the family versions of soutzoukakia (a type of meatball) or yuvarelakia (a rice meatball) to taste right, I'll post up recipies.

Thank you!! I asked Stray to get his Gramma's pad thai recipe, but he's been a no-show. I want everyone's gramma's recipes.

I already cook with a lot of the ingredients you mentioned, especially cumin seeds and cinnamon.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #117 on: October 21, 2005, 03:45:44 PM

Err....You did?

Anyways, I've never once spoken or met my Grandma, so umm....Fat chance on that.

My Mom is the one where I get the Thai food from, and she's half Cambodian (my Grandma is full Cambodian btw) --- So it's not all Thai either.

Grandma on my Dad's side is Danish. I'll give you a recipe for....Danishes....If you want?  rolleyes  wink
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #118 on: October 21, 2005, 11:21:58 PM

Stray's one uh them there halfbreeds.

Can we poke him with a stick?  :-D

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #119 on: October 21, 2005, 11:26:01 PM

Man, I'm like a quadbreed. No wait, a quintbreed. A real mutt. If you saw me, you couldn't help but think to yourself

"See, now there's the future of the human race!"

Umm...For better or worse.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #120 on: October 21, 2005, 11:30:48 PM

No! That can't be! I was supposed to be the future of the human race!

Same boat as you, actually. We're not totally sure of all the crossbreeding that went on among my ancestors, but the biggies are Japanese, African American, Greek and Native American.

I like to think of myself as a product of genetic engineering.  smiley

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #121 on: October 23, 2005, 01:49:35 PM

Gimme some Cambodian recipes then, Future of the Human Race!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Cuular
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: October 24, 2005, 05:00:24 PM

Dry Potato Curry  (From the Poonah/New Delhi region of India)

Ingredients:

Mustard Seeds.  (Black preferred, yellow okay)
4-6 teaspoons Curry Powder (I use about 3 HOT and 2-3 mild) Bolsts
    brand is the best. But any INDIAN style from the local grocery will work.
    Or for the best find a local indian spice store.
1-2 teaspoons Ground Coriander
1-3 teaspoons Ground Cumin seeds
1-2 teaspoons Tumeric
2-3 Tablespoons  Salt
1 Medium Onion DICED
2-3 cloves garlic minced, or 1-1.5 teaspoons garlic powder.  FRESH is
    BEST!!!
3-6 Tablespoons olive oil. (Regular vege oil will work.  Olive just
    gives it that something special)
5-6 medium to large potatoes DICED
2 Limes

Steps:

1. DICE the potatoes and onions, MINCE the garlic.

2. Put mustard seeds in the frying pan, covering about 2/3 of the pan
bottom in a single layer.

3. Turn the heat on medium and cover the pan.  The mustard seeds will
start popping like popcorn.

4. Shake the pan lightly while the seeds are popping. This should last
about 2-4 minutes.

5. Remove from heat after the seeds are pretty much done popping.

6. Add 3 Tablespoons oil, curry powder, cumin, tumeric, salt, and the
onion and garlic to the pan and mix it up. The consistency should be
pasty.

7. Return to heat and cook for about 2 minutes.  The onion will turn
translucent.

8. Throw in the potatoes and mix WELL. Add more oil/salt as needed.
It's best to layer the potatoes, about 1/3rd of the pan deep, and add some salt, then layer and add salt.

9. Cook for about 30-90 minutes turning every 5-10 minutes depending on
your stove. Basically you are looking for the biggest pieces of potato to be
cooked.

10. Right before serving cut the 2 limes in half and squeeze the juice
into the pan, and mix lightly.

Don't be afraid to taste test and increase amounts of the spices to your
liking.  I usually end up using slightly more cumin and curry powder
then mentioned above.  And salt is very important.

The final product should have a slightly salty taste followed closely by
a slightly sour twang from the lime, fading into a warm glowing from the
curry.  The curry should not be the absolute first thing you taste.  It
should kind of "creep" up on you.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #123 on: October 24, 2005, 05:13:23 PM

Gimme some Cambodian recipes then, Future of the Human Race!

To be honest, it'll take some effort. My Mom can speak English and has a little bit of Education, but she doesn't really write or read much of anything. She definitely doesn't have recipes written down or anything -- They're all in her head.

She made some Thai chicken and curry over the past weekend, and my God, it was good. If I could get the recipe for that, you'd be set (I'm sure you could Google something up though. Online recipes couldn't be that much different).
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #124 on: November 21, 2005, 10:58:54 AM

Is anyone making Thanksgiving dinner at their house? This year's menu at casa de voodoolily and Sauced:

Roasted turkey (brined overnight with red wine, oranges, kosher salt, pepper corns and fresh rosemary)
Savory bread pudding (instead of stuffing)
Sweet potatoes au gratin with candied walnuts
Haricots vert in an onion-y, shallot-y bechamel (that's "green bean casserole" for the non-Francophiles)
My grandma's old celery-cheese casserole (never made it before, but it's all gooey and cheesy with water chestnuts and celery)
Cranberry chutney with tripel sec and orange zest
I kinda wanna make glazed carrots again, but maybe too much sweet beta carotene goodness already
fresh bread from the Breadman

dessert: chai-spiced (fresh ginger, vanilla bean, allspice berries, cinnamon stick and black pepper corns) creme brulee with caramelized apples
(last year I made a sharp cheddar-apple pie with crumb topping and no one ate any  cry)

Happy Holidays!

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #125 on: November 21, 2005, 11:17:10 AM

I'm going to make a couple loaves of bread, plus a couple extra to make into bread crumbs for stuffing. Plus some garlic mashed pertaters. Eating at mom's, she usually does the basics, I'm just bringing a couple things. We don't do none of that there fancy eatin'. ;)
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #126 on: November 21, 2005, 12:16:02 PM

Is anyone making Thanksgiving dinner at their house? This year's menu at casa de voodoolily and Sauced:

Roasted turkey (brined overnight with red wine, oranges, kosher salt, pepper corns and fresh rosemary)
Savory bread pudding (instead of stuffing)
Sweet potatoes au gratin with candied walnuts
Haricots vert in an onion-y, shallot-y bechamel (that's "green bean casserole" for the non-Francophiles)
My grandma's old celery-cheese casserole (never made it before, but it's all gooey and cheesy with water chestnuts and celery)
Cranberry chutney with tripel sec and orange zest
I kinda wanna make glazed carrots again, but maybe too much sweet beta carotene goodness already
fresh bread from the Breadman

dessert: chai-spiced (fresh ginger, vanilla bean, allspice berries, cinnamon stick and black pepper corns) creme brulee with caramelized apples
(last year I made a sharp cheddar-apple pie with crumb topping and no one ate any  cry)

Happy Holidays!

Dump the icky waterchestnut casserole for some good old fashioned mashed potatoes to dump your turkey gravy on, and it sounds like you have a winner. Au gratin sweet potatoes is something I've never thought of. Tradition here is usually mashed yams with marshmallows melted on top instead.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sauced
Terracotta Army

Bat Country '05 Fantasy Football Champion

Reply #127 on: November 21, 2005, 12:35:08 PM

Oh, there will be mashed potatoes.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #128 on: November 21, 2005, 01:07:32 PM

I can't believe I forgot to put mashed potatoes. I guess it's kinda like turkey (not a holiday without it).

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
WayAbvPar

Reply #129 on: November 21, 2005, 02:32:41 PM

I am ridiculously hyped for Thanksgiving this year for some reason. I want a giant plate full of dark meat piled on stuffing covered in gravy. And then an angioplasty.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #130 on: November 21, 2005, 02:40:07 PM

Eww, dark meat.  Glad my family is half filled with Mexicans or no one would eat that fatty crap. 

Turkey, stuffing, pie, football. Rinse, repeat. Then I get to go watch Arizona crush Arizona State's bowl hopes the next day.  Perfect.

-Rasix
WayAbvPar

Reply #131 on: November 21, 2005, 02:48:24 PM

Eww, dark meat.  Glad my family is half filled with Mexicans or no one would eat that fatty crap. 

Turkey, stuffing, pie, football. Rinse, repeat. Then I get to go watch Arizona crush Arizona State's bowl hopes the next day.  Perfect.

I have some Mexican friends and have been served goat at a Quinceanera, so I don't think they have the last word on palatable cuisine  :-D

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #132 on: November 21, 2005, 02:53:58 PM

Goat probably tastes better than dark meat.  But Mexicans think all sorts of disgusting crap is tasty, like tripe or pecan pie.

-Rasix
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #133 on: November 21, 2005, 03:09:47 PM

Tripe or Pecan Pie? Eh?

I really don't care for the white meat on a Turkey, too dry. No matter how juicy the bird is overall, the breast meat allways leaves that drymouth feeling.

I'm the guy that sits there and munches on the legs like its some big medieval banquet or something.

So I wanted to say thanks to you Yanks for having your Thanksgiving a month late, as it just means a free Holiday for me in November (as most of our customers are American).

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #134 on: November 21, 2005, 05:06:42 PM

The white meat's not dry if you brine the turkey first! Soak the bird in a salt-sugar water solution overnight (be sure and RINSE before you cook the bird). Perfect, succulent, shreddable goodness every time.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Jimbo
Terracotta Army

still drives a stick shift

Reply #135 on: November 21, 2005, 05:32:54 PM

Going to switch gears to some German style food.  :)

This is easy to cook in a Crockpot or dutch oven.

What ya need:

Sauerkraut (fresh preferably from the fridge section or canned)
bratwurst (at least 6 uncooked)
granny smith green apples (1 large)
one white onion (1 large)
one purple onion (1 large)
brown sugar
apple cider vinegar
beer (1 dark wheat beer)
bacon (1/2 package)

1.  Cut the purple and white onion in half, place half of each onion in skillet with bacon (1/2 of the package), add 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar.  Cook till onions are clear and a nice sauce is present.

2.  Place half of the sauerkraut on the bottom of your slow cooker or dutch oven.

3.  Core the granny smith green apple (the tarter the better), cut up and place half on top of the sauerkraut, save the other half.

4.  Place bratwurst on top of kraut.

5.  Poor onions and bacon sauce on top of brats.

6.  Layer the rest apples and then kraut on top of brats.

7.  Pour 1 bottle of dark wheat beer on top of kraut.

8.  Add 2 more tablespoons of brown sugar and applecider vinegar

9.  Cook till the brats are done and it smells wonderful!  (or like ass...one of the gals at work description, "god it smells like ass, but taste so good!")

You can swap out the meat (spare ribs, pot roast, etc...) or grill the meat first and add it to the mix, makes for some great eating!

voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #136 on: June 22, 2007, 04:15:57 PM

NECRO!!!

btw, LOVE the new Necro Warning, schild.

Salmon with mango-avocado salsa (I serve with grilled polenta triangles).

For Salsa:
Whisk in a bowl:
zest and juice from 2 limes
2 T Thai sweet chili sauce or honey
2 T rice vinegar
1/4 c olive oil
fat pinch kosher salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg (or 10 scrapes off a whole nutmeg)

add:
2 mangoes (I prefer the "champagne" or Filipino mangoes for flavor), filleted and diced
2 avocadoes, diced
1 habanero pepper, seeded and minced
1 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 shallot minced, or 2 T finely minced red onion

fiddle with the salsa a bit until it has the right balance of salty, sweet and citrusy by adding more salt, honey or lime juice/rice vinegar.

Salmon:
grill or pan-fry it.

Spoon salsa over salmon and salad greens. If serving with polenta, put some on the polenta too.

Polenta:

Easy polenta: buy one of those tubes of polenta and slice it into 1/2" thick slices. Brush with oil and either grill or bake until the edges get crispy.

Fancy polenta: bring a cup of chicken stock with a splash of milk to a boil. Slowly drizzle in corn meal, stirring constantly, until it looks like pudding. Lower heat to Low and stir until thick like grits (or polenta). Add 1/2 c frozen corn kernels and mix well. Spread out on a non-stick pan or tray to 1/2" thickness and set aside in freezer for 15 mintues to firm up. Cut into triangles or squares or whatever and cook as above.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 04:19:15 PM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
schild
Administrator

Reply #137 on: June 22, 2007, 04:17:38 PM

I can't make the necro gif appear :( I think I'm borken.
voodoolily
Contributor

Reply #138 on: June 22, 2007, 04:20:23 PM

I think I'm borken.

Is that a new line from Ikea?  tongue

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: June 22, 2007, 04:20:27 PM

HOLY necropost.

They need to come up with a new term for threads this old...there definitely won't be much left after it has been decomposing for this long :p

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 52 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Voodoolily's Snacktastic Recipe Thread!!  
Jump to: