Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:48:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: I'm back, bitches. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm back, bitches.  (Read 37019 times)
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #35 on: June 22, 2005, 09:08:50 AM

I've been craving a GOOD virtual world for a while now, ever since SWG failed to provide it.
I fear you are an endangered species...

No, the endangered species is a GOOD virtual world.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #36 on: June 22, 2005, 10:28:19 AM

Pfft.  That isn't an endagered species, that's a mythological creature.  And I like both UO and WoW the same way I played shitloads of both Zelda and Contra as a kid.  What sorta question is that?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
WayAbvPar

Reply #37 on: June 22, 2005, 10:29:28 AM

That is like saying unicorns and dragons are endangered.

Edit- heh. WUA made pretty much the same point.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: June 22, 2005, 11:10:29 AM

Don't play alliance.  If you simply must play alliance play a needed class like warlock or dwarf priest.  I recomend a tauren shaman if you must play a well armord healer than can sorta melee.

I am the .00000001428%
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: June 22, 2005, 11:26:22 AM

Whats wrong with the Alliance, aside from the general population imbalance?  I think that if you go in understanding that you're going to have a wait for the BGs, you're fine.  And if you're the PvE/raid type, being Alliance gives you a lot more potential allies to group with.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 22, 2005, 11:29:49 AM

Whats wrong with the Alliance, aside from the general population imbalance? 

The humans seem to run as if a giant pole is shoved up their ass.  Night Elves are largely a medevil version of Micheal Jackson - but as an entire race, not an NPC.  The gnomes take the game from cute to laughable.  Dwarves.... well they rock :)

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #41 on: June 22, 2005, 11:34:34 AM

1. Elves and people that play elves.
2. Humans and people who play humans.
3. Paladins and people that play paladins.
4. Lag.
5. Waiting 2 hours to do something when all you have to play is 2 hours.
6. Being on a side that has no less than 3 uber raiding guilds at once. It's like EQ server politics all over again but just on a factional basis.

Only reason I can see for playing alliance is being a gnome.  Greatest racial ability of all: being REALLY SMALL for pvp.

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #42 on: June 22, 2005, 11:35:29 AM

The humans seem to run as if a giant pole is shoved up their ass.  Night Elves are largely a medevil version of Micheal Jackson - but as an entire race, not an NPC.  The gnomes take the game from cute to laughable.  Dwarves.... well they rock :)

Night Elves do the Michael Jackson dance. Undead can eat anyone they kill.

Why do some people just always HAVE to play a MMORPG? I really can't imagine how someone that loves UO could love WoW.

Large amounts of free time and nothing else to do?  As for the WOW/UO, there's nothing that says the virtual world lovers can't enjoy the taste of DIKU.  I enjoyed WOW while it lasted for me, but I've been craving a GOOD virtual world for a while now, ever since SWG failed to provide it.

I have been feeling the same way. I am really craving a Virtual World type thing. There is just nothing out there.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 22, 2005, 11:39:03 AM

[I have been feeling the same way. I am really craving a Virtual World type thing. There is just nothing out there.

"Realistically", what are you looking for that is missing from the current MMORPG crop?

"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #44 on: June 22, 2005, 12:53:40 PM

Fun?

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: June 22, 2005, 02:02:49 PM

Fun?

You like CoH.  So what is the world element - within reason - that is missing?  (or in WoW etc.)

"  HaemishM.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #46 on: June 22, 2005, 02:44:29 PM

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #47 on: June 22, 2005, 05:20:13 PM

Why do some people just always HAVE to play a MMORPG? I really can't imagine how someone that loves UO could love WoW.

A very interesting question, I found I got attatched to the idea of having a game "character".  Suddenly it was no longer satisfying to play far superior games because I could change my name and appearence at will and there was not even the semblence of persistence.  I'm not sure what it is really, but I wish I could get rid of it because this generation of MMORPG's do nothing for me but make me annoyed that I wasted money/time on them.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #48 on: June 22, 2005, 09:39:18 PM

Don't play alliance.  If you simply must play alliance play a needed class like warlock or dwarf priest.

The notion that I'm supposed to take what is "needed" into account at character creation...  LOL...  You're drastically overestimating the importance of endgame/pvp shit to a near-total newblet.  I'll play whatever the hell tickles my fancy, thank you very much.  And if that makes me Human Paladin #457,826...  Well, I blame Blizzard for making the other choice a Voodoo-powered cow witchdoctor.   rolleyes

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #49 on: June 22, 2005, 10:52:07 PM

Don't play alliance. If you simply must play alliance play a needed class like warlock or dwarf priest.

The notion that I'm supposed to take what is "needed" into account at character creation... LOL... You're drastically overestimating the importance of endgame/pvp shit to a near-total newblet. I'll play whatever the hell tickles my fancy, thank you very much. And if that makes me Human Paladin #457,826... Well, I blame Blizzard for making the other choice a Voodoo-powered cow witchdoctor. rolleyes

Yay! Someone else who thinks the horde designs are fucking retarded!

That, and the Alliance capitals/quests/zones are vastly more interesting than the horde ones. I could care fuckall for population balance since I think PvP is the weakest link in the game next to the largely braindead playerbase.

One of my friends is a level 60 Pally on my server (Proudmoore), and he knows his job. He's either an offtank or a healer. If you play your pally well and other guilds/players notice that, you WILL get invites, because the vast majority of paladins are fucking shovelheads who want to "tear shit up" with a high DPS hammer. Ditto with most warriors who duel-wield or 2-hand exclusively in groups.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2005, 11:03:34 PM by Fabricated »

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 23, 2005, 08:00:25 AM

They got Dwarf women all wrong.  ALL wrong.  Note the almost complete lack of female dwarves in the game.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #51 on: June 23, 2005, 08:55:55 AM

Pfsssh, of course there be Dwarf women, ya idjit. They all be back in Iron Forge cookin and raisin me kids. We're not like dem crazy elves, lettin thier women run around around the whole damn world with there jiggly bits hangin out.

(This will hopefully be my one and only ever in character post here)

Oh, and I agree with Windup fully. Play whatever character interests you. I honestly don't care how oversaturated my class is in the end game. Mind you, I have guildmates that I know will invite me along whether I'm uber or not.

Down with conformity for the sake of mix maxing! No one is gonna make me trade in my black bear Bobo, just because certain cats in certain zones have a higher attack speed.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #52 on: June 23, 2005, 10:43:01 AM

Well, I blame Blizzard for making the other choice a Voodoo-powered cow witchdoctor.   rolleyes

And you chose the human paladin. *snicker*
Pococurante
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 23, 2005, 12:59:27 PM

I fear you are an endangered species...

Well there's at least two of us.  But the breeding potential is low so endangered status is probably still called for...
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #54 on: June 23, 2005, 02:08:18 PM

I don't think you and HRose should breed.  It'll end in tears, I tell you!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #55 on: June 23, 2005, 02:12:45 PM

Tears of laughter or tears of shame?
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #56 on: June 23, 2005, 02:18:29 PM

I thought that was how we got WUA.
schild
Administrator

Reply #57 on: June 23, 2005, 05:58:23 PM

This thread got funny.

Bravo.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #58 on: June 24, 2005, 02:59:16 AM

Doubly Bravo.

If I ever resub, it will be to start a complete new character.  It will be alliance.  And it will be short.  Probably a dwarf priest, or a gnome warlock, since those are two classes that I've had an interest in for a while.  The other choices are either a dwarf paladin or a gnome warrior (kick ass).

But I'm with Morpheid, I can't bring myself to make a paladin past L5.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #59 on: June 24, 2005, 07:35:40 AM

Why do all the Horde players I know get so antsy when they find out I'm starting, and that I don't want to be a pig, or a cow, or a gangrenous hunchback?  I'm real sorry your side is underpopulated and you're getting ganked to death everyday, but fuck ya, not my problem.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 24, 2005, 07:44:45 AM

Why do all the Horde players I know get so antsy when they find out I'm starting, and that I don't want to be a pig, or a cow, or a gangrenous hunchback?  I'm real sorry your side is underpopulated and you're getting ganked to death everyday, but fuck ya, not my problem.

With battlegrounds - at least in Warsong - the reverse is happening.  The Alliance is doing better, but for the most part Horde victory in Warsong is the norm.  This is not a judgement or argument - just an observation.

"  HaemishM.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #61 on: June 24, 2005, 07:57:35 AM

With battlegrounds - at least in Warsong - the reverse is happening.  The Alliance is doing better, but for the most part Horde victory in Warsong is the norm.  This is not a judgement or argument - just an observation.

The Horde still plays in battlegrounds on your server? Lucky you.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #62 on: June 24, 2005, 10:33:50 AM

Now, if they had undead antipaladin, that would be sweet.

Yeah, but they won't.  There'll be an expansion, and they'll add a new race and class to the Horde, but none of it will be anything cool.  They'll throw on another bluish/greenish race based loosely on some manner of barnyard animal, and add a class that's a thinly-veiled Hare Krishna imitation which gains XP by standing around bothering people as they go to board a zepplin.  Then they'll find an excuse to put your dark paladins on the Alliance side, along with even more elf boobies, and wonder why their populations are unbalanced.

jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 24, 2005, 11:23:50 AM

The Horde still plays in battlegrounds on your server? Lucky you.

Horde is not playing Warsong on other servers?  Why not?  Unlike TM or SS, now we have roughly balanced pvp encounters.

"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 24, 2005, 11:33:56 AM

Horde still plays battlegrounds on my server. To bad the alliance has them outnumbered 2:1. Still it looks like the balance will begin to shift though as I have been having 0 trouble entering in the level 20 to 30 range warsong instances and are often outnumbered by horde. I am guessing a lot of folks who liked battle grounds and realized it takes two to tango decided to move to the dark side.

kaid
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: June 24, 2005, 01:24:48 PM

Horde still plays battlegrounds on my server. To bad the alliance has them outnumbered 2:1. Still it looks like the balance will begin to shift though as I have been having 0 trouble entering in the level 20 to 30 range warsong instances and are often outnumbered by horde. I am guessing a lot of folks who liked battle grounds and realized it takes two to tango decided to move to the dark side.

kaid

Odd.  Yet the alliance is still more numerous on servers.  Is the opposite possible?

I notice on my server that alliance is returning to zerg fights  - especially at XR.  They seem to be baiting Horde into the fields where they can out number them.  In the instance where things are balanced - there may be less Alliance participation given their string of losses in balanced encounters.

"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 24, 2005, 02:51:19 PM

alliance may at the moment be higher numbers but I must say when playing my newb lil cow the horde newbie areas on eonar seem to be bustling with youngsters running around. When I was playing with my level 27 druid not only was I having 0 trouble getting into instances the horde side seemed to be filling up as fast or faster than alliance side. The higher level brackets are still VERY slanted towards alliance but I think that is changing at least on our server.

My group decided if we wanted to do battlegrounds seriously we would probably need to make a horde squad until/unless things balance themselves out more.

I am kinda surprised though with the battlegrounds that they did not make a third option. Instead of just warsong 10v10 and altarak huge ass long freaking 40v40 map they should have had a 20v20 map. The 10v10 is fun but it may be nicer to have a few more folks running around. the 40v40 stuff is a hoot but it takes TO FUCKING LONG to finish it. I seriously just don't have it in me to play one map for 8 hours. Something inbetween too short and too long would have been great.

Kaid
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 24, 2005, 03:58:06 PM

Word has it that they are toying around with a bunch of other Battleground types for future patches.  Eventually we may have 5+ different BG flavours to mess with.  They probably just wanted to release these two to test the waters, figure out unforseen bugs and whatnot, before throwing out more.

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #68 on: June 24, 2005, 04:47:48 PM

Ditto with most warriors who duel-wield or 2-hand exclusively in groups.

You might want to look a bit deeper into how agro is held in the game. We found putting a tank with an arcanite reaper and MS on Onxyia was able to hold agro better than a warrior with full protection spec and sword and sheild. 2 healers had no problem keeping the dps tank up either. It appears that high damage is a better way to grab and maintain agro in the game than any of the tricks in the protection tree. Another trick that people are doing is decking paladins out in cloth high +healing +mana regen gear and having them  be main healers. It's a lot easier to keep agro off them as Blizzard specifically removed agro from paladin heals. One paladin I know gets huge mileage out of the first level fast heal with +250 to healing items and regains mana as fast as he can cast the spell. I'm sure once Blizzard catches on to this trick a nerf will be incoming but at the moment don't laugh next time you see a paladin in a robe.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #69 on: June 24, 2005, 05:16:52 PM

Warrior aggro is borked. The defensive spec is set up specifically to hold aggro, and it fails on all counts. They've really been hitting on all the PvP talents for warriors, which is nice, but they are neglecting the protection talents as far as hate generation. Shield blocks should be extremely high on the generation list, which I think would solve most of the problems with mobs pulling off. The problem with a warrior doing damage with a 2H and keeping aggro is that you lose 2000+ armor, which effectively cuts your damage reduction down by 1/3 or more. This then strains the healers and ends up causing even more problems.

In short, protection needs a LOT of work before it becomes viable.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: I'm back, bitches.  
Jump to: