Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:45:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: I'm back, bitches. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I'm back, bitches.  (Read 37017 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

on: June 19, 2005, 07:46:31 PM

Me and a substantial chunk of my UO guild are coming over to WoW.  If you want to see why CLICK HERE.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 12:11:49 AM

No.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 03:09:21 AM

So anyway, are warriors good yet?  I played right after release and they were shit back then.

Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 05:39:04 AM

You should be a night elf rogue.  There's not nearly enough of them.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 05:44:44 AM

Umm, what's up with the hair? Have the elves gone punk? And is he/she/it wearing glasses?
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 06:29:16 AM

Yeah, Warcraft is a great place to get away from Elves.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 09:09:38 AM

It's a good way to get away from elves that look like they belong at a GWAR concert, have absolutely no lore to explain their existence, and were shoehorned into the game after coming up in a focus group.

CoH might be a fun game, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be pissed at EA if they added superheroes to UO.

Train Wreck
Contributor

Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 09:26:09 AM

That looks like something that you might find on a bad player-run UO server -- intentionally bad, that is.
Amp
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 09:26:26 AM

I forgot how badly dated those graphics are.
Make a shaman.  Every second horde plays a shaman.

This space for rent.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 09:35:47 AM

Care to back that up? 

"I think my brain just shoved its head up its own ass in retaliation.
"  HaemishM.
kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 09:43:19 AM

Warriors are pretty good right now but they take a bit to get rolling and there are still issues with their protection talent line. The armsman and fury apparently are pretty tasty.

I don't play warrior to much but I play against them in battlegrounds and damn nothing sucks more than a tauren warrior charging my poor hunter.

Shaman are a very popular class mainly because they are fun and all their talent lines are good so you can have good diversity. I have seen all enhancement builds which basically makes a shaman a very effective melee character or all elemental for long range nuking. Some say shaman are over powered but I think they get hated on mainly because their powers by and large work as intended and are fun.

Kaid
Amp
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 09:56:01 AM

Care to back that up?

I don't need to I play on the most balanced server in the game.  Or second most if I recall.
I pvp daily and I just see the multitude of shamans.
Who wouldn't want to play in godmode.

This space for rent.
Sogrinaugh
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 10:41:55 AM

Care to back that up?

I don't need to I play on the most balanced server in the game.  Or second most if I recall.
Not even close
Most played class is rogue, followed closely by hunter and then mage, then warrior.  Shaman are extremely strong 1v1, which btw the developers have said over and over again this game is not and will not be balanaced for.  As a mage, you really dont have much chance vs a sham 1v1, however warriors rip them new assholes (good ones) as do hunters.

On my server (magtheridon, pvp high-pop) #1 ranked is a warrior, followed by mages and rogues in the top 5, horde-side.  Its really mostly propaganda.  If you ever play horde you hear people moan about the cheezyness of paladins, etc.  Its all bullshit.  Shaman are uber vs casters, because of thier 2-tiered defense against spells (grounding totem + earthshock), and ability to do a big, instant heal.  One of your chars is  mage, the other is amoung the 2 lowest dps chars in the game and also happens to be a caster, of course you find them overpowered.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 11:20:27 AM

So anyway, are warriors good yet?  I played right after release and they were shit back then.

Warriors are really good, and about to get even better if the leaked patch notes are correct. If you want to be different, play a Warlock. Or if you really want to be punk, play a night elf hunter, cause well, there arnt many of those.
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 12:55:43 PM

Welcome back, I think.

When it comes to classes, they're all fairly fine- balance is decent.  I guess if any class is gimped, hunters are, on account of their questionable raid value, but that's pretty much it. 
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 01:41:25 PM

Care to back that up?

Not even close
Most played class is rogue, followed closely by hunter and then mage, then warrior.  Shaman are extremely strong 1v1, which btw the developers have said over and over again this game is not and will not be balanaced for.  As a mage, you really dont have much chance vs a sham 1v1, however warriors rip them new assholes (good ones) as do hunters.

On my server (magtheridon, pvp high-pop) #1 ranked is a warrior, followed by mages and rogues in the top 5, horde-side.  Its really mostly propaganda.  If you ever play horde you hear people moan about the cheezyness of paladins, etc.  Its all bullshit.  Shaman are uber vs casters, because of thier 2-tiered defense against spells (grounding totem + earthshock), and ability to do a big, instant heal.  One of your chars is  mage, the other is amoung the 2 lowest dps chars in the game and also happens to be a caster, of course you find them overpowered.

Its VERY hard to beat a good shaman one on one as a rogue also.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #16 on: June 20, 2005, 04:12:58 PM

Settled on a human paladin.  After half a decade of playing melee in that other game, the idea of not being able to pound away on shit while keeping myself healed is unthinkable.  Plus they're just cool, and start with a huge-ass hammer.

Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: June 20, 2005, 04:22:49 PM

What server?
Lantien
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 20, 2005, 04:24:48 PM

Check the population realm website for details; it may not be a good idea to roll a Paladin on your server.

Depending on what your endgame plans are, here are some suggestions (assuming you're rolling Alliance):

1) Dwarf Priest: Best racial spell benefit for both PVP and end game raiding.  Most guilds are always short healers for 10 man or endgame Raids, and Priests with one or two wingmen are surprisingly dangerous in PVP.

2) Any stripe of Warriors: Can do amazing damage if specced out properly.  Need one to tank instances (Paladins can do so, but it's not easy). The only thing going against them is that with the new abilities, and DPS envy, you're going to see a lot of Warriors running around.

3) Night Elf Druid: Useful healers.  Can tank moderately well in the early game, less so in the end game. Very useful in Capture the Flag games.

4) Gnome Mages: Root + AoE = lots of damage.

Paladins, Rogues, and Hunters fall into the category of being way too overpopulated on most servers. You probably won't notice this as a problem until you hit level 59, 60. At that point, if you're interested in running instances, you better have enough guys in your guild to do 10-man runs with very little/no outside help, or you're going to be /LFG a long time.

If you are hell bent on the Paladin, Paladins are much more efficient when they are working as healers/buffers first, hitters second. Unfortunately, Paladins have evolved into Hitters first and foremost. This second pathway is viable, but really negates most of the good things that make you unique to begin with.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #19 on: June 20, 2005, 04:32:49 PM

Settled on a human paladin.  After half a decade of playing melee in that other game, the idea of not being able to pound away on shit while keeping myself healed is unthinkable.  Plus they're just cool, and start with a huge-ass hammer.

If you wanted to be a total fag, you could have stayed in UO. Human Paladin, HA.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 20, 2005, 09:38:25 PM

If you wanted to be a total fag, you could have stayed in UO. Human Paladin, HA.

WUA you might want look into this a bit more.  I am on the Horde side but my impression is that most Pallys do not play their character to its strengths.  Most pallies want to do damage, when really their strengths lay in support.  Never played a pally, but saying this based on the rants I have seen by alliance about how the class is played.  For melee damage you might consider a rogue.  Or maybe an Arms spec warrior.

"  HaemishM.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #21 on: June 20, 2005, 09:55:26 PM

I'm an arms spec warrior w/ that kinky new spear you get for pvping. I can 3 hit mages now before they realize what's going on with crits and MS. It's pretty kickass.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 02:33:46 AM

Most paladin players have no fucking clue what they're doing, it's true.  They're a fun class, and seemingly quite suited to solo play, but in a group they're buffers and backup healers, period.  Oh, and I'm on Cenarion Circle.  Lowest populated RP server.

kaid
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 06:34:46 AM

Paladins are many things but they do not fit the damage dealing role well. Usually in my lower group where I play a druid and my friend plays her paladin the druid usually main tanks and the paladin goes into support role. They do that job very well and are more than capable of off tanking while letting everybody else pick on the druids target.

I love having a paladin in our group especially one that realizes how to use all their tasty group powers well. The ones who are there doing mostly melee tend to be somewhat useless. Heck I think a shaman can probably get tricked out for melee damage dealing better than a paladin at least with talents.

kaid
Mesozoic
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 08:01:56 AM

Oddly, I recently re-subbed and started a Human Paladin on Dragonmaw (PvP).  I picked it after deciding against the Priest and his cloth armor.  This thread bodes well for my planned Holy-spec.

...any religion that rejects coffee worships a false god.
-Numtini
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 08:15:08 AM

Oddly, I recently re-subbed and started a Human Paladin on Dragonmaw (PvP).  I picked it after deciding against the Priest and his cloth armor.  This thread bodes well for my planned Holy-spec.

Great choice.  I miss the plate toting days of clerics from EQ.  A paladin with the right talents and healing gear, could be an awesome healer, especially in messy instance fights and pvp.

And yes I am a cloth bearing Priest wearer.  I am surviving a hell of lot longer in Warsong than I ever thought possible.  With plate - there are real possibilities.

BTW - I just looked at the Paladin boards on Blizzard's site.  What a mess.  The community that plays this class have no idea what their role (no agreement) nor any idea how to approach it.  I haven't seen any board with such fundamental confusion about what their strengths are or why they chose the class in the first place.  Many want to tank or do damage.  Very few want support.  Some want it all - without realizing that no set of gear can support healing/damage/tanking without accepting major tradeoffs.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 11:38:27 AM by jpark »

"  HaemishM.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 01:13:37 PM

Well my MO was always to make sure everyone's blessings were maintained, then jump in and do whatver melee damage I could, while keeping a close eye on the priest's health/mana bars.  If the priest got low on mana, I would take over healing for a little while.  If the priest started taking damage, I would keep them healed while the others dealt with the critters.

With the Spiritual Focus talent and good armor, it was entirely possible to heal others while taking hits myself.  That fact saved my ass many times when the group's priest was dancing around in their robe shrieking "Get it off me!" and I was the only other healer around.

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #27 on: June 21, 2005, 03:59:43 PM

Paladins are like elves. They pretty much are homoerotic, not matter what you do. Now, if they had undead antipaladin, that would be sweet.

Maybe its just the PVP servers, but usually paladins are the biggest tools on the server, tons of immature shittalking, with nothing to back it up except "Shield and Hearth". I think these two rules pretty much should be taken in to account when playing wow.

1) Dont play a Paladin.
2) Dont play Alliance.

Follow those two rules, and every thing will be good.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 04:02:05 PM by Morphiend »
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: June 21, 2005, 05:38:04 PM

Paladins are like elves. They pretty much are homoerotic, not matter what you do. Now, if they had undead antipaladin, that would be sweet.

I think that is my new sig!

"  HaemishM.
schild
Administrator

Reply #29 on: June 21, 2005, 07:26:00 PM

I think it's engrishy.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #30 on: June 21, 2005, 07:43:54 PM

I think it's engrishy.

You mean like some cat from Japan?

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
jpark
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: June 21, 2005, 09:37:18 PM

I think it's engrishy.

You mean like some cat from Japan?

Viklas maybe.  Engrish - na.

"  HaemishM.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005, 09:48:07 PM

Why do some people just always HAVE to play a MMORPG? I really can't imagine how someone that loves UO could love WoW.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #33 on: June 22, 2005, 12:43:02 AM

Why do some people just always HAVE to play a MMORPG? I really can't imagine how someone that loves UO could love WoW.

Large amounts of free time and nothing else to do?  As for the WOW/UO, there's nothing that says the virtual world lovers can't enjoy the taste of DIKU.  I enjoyed WOW while it lasted for me, but I've been craving a GOOD virtual world for a while now, ever since SWG failed to provide it.

-Rasix
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #34 on: June 22, 2005, 02:47:16 AM

I've been craving a GOOD virtual world for a while now, ever since SWG failed to provide it.
I fear you are an endangered species...

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  World of Warcraft  |  Topic: I'm back, bitches.  
Jump to: