Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:18:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Content will cost, features are for free. 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Content will cost, features are for free.  (Read 5233 times)
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

on: June 10, 2005, 04:08:26 PM

From http://www.pixelrage.com/mesmerize/fansitefriday/46/

Bonus Question: Will expansion packs offer new features and functionality or are expansions limited to fresh content and more options?

I asked Mike O'Brien about this, and he explained that our philosophy is that new features will be free and new content will usually have a cost. So features will be rolled out in our free Game Updates and content will be offered in our upcoming chapters. Mike said that features are things that improve or expand functionality. Examples of features would be account storage, chat or trade improvements, or such features as Observer Mode. And as mentioned, features will be included in a Live Update between chapters because they are part of the engine, and we are constantly improving that.

Chapters, on the other hand, will offer new content. This will include a new storyline, new regions, new skills, new possible strategies, new PvP options, and a whole bunch of other great things. Chapter 2 is going to be so exciting that we are not going to hold engine improvements in order to encourage you to buy Chapter 2. We will give you the new engine improvements for free, as they are developed, with confidence that you will buy Chapter 2 for the great new content that it will offer.
Interesting...
I want more char slots dammit.

"Me am play gods"
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 09:33:24 PM

New skills?

Be very careful.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 12:40:44 AM

Lol, their business model practical demands mudflation.

"Me am play gods"
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3 on: June 11, 2005, 07:19:56 AM

Yeah, which was pointed out from the beginning.   Be Careful with new skills?  You can bet at least one expansion will have skills designed to negate the most problematic PvP builds, requiring the competitive PVPers to buy it. i.e. fixing the 'Smite Monk' problem  I've seen some GW players mention.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 09:58:24 AM

It's not unreasonable to require people to buy the expansions to remain competitive in a zero subscription game, the trick is whether A.net manage to make any additional character development fun or not.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
schild
Administrator

Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 10:12:45 AM

The subscription is expansions.

Which is to say, it's just like every other MMOG, except they aren't trying to fuck you by making you pay by the month and for subscriptions.
Krakrok
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 11:16:49 AM

ii.e. fixing the 'Smite Monk' problem  I've seen some GW players mention.

What problem? I've been raped many a times by a Necro or Mesmer when I'm a smite monk.
Llava
Contributor

Rrava roves you rong time

Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 11:36:04 AM

Yeah, yeah, I know.  I just have this crazy voice in my head that says you should want expansions, not need them.

That the saints may enjoy their beatitude and the grace of God more abundantly they are permitted to see the punishment of the damned in hell. -Saint Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica
Strazos
Greetings from the Slave Coast

The World's Worst Game: Curry or Covid

Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 11:47:35 AM

Shades of Everquest, anyone, anyone? Sucked what, anyone, anyone? Massive amounts of ass.

Don't negate old stuff with new stuff...it's supposed to be supplementary content, not replaceatory.

Fear the Backstab!
"Plato said the virtuous man is at all times ready for a grammar snake attack." - we are lesion
"Hell is other people." -Sartre
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 11:56:35 AM

I may be wrong, but I imagine the majority of the 'new skills' will come in the form of a new class or two.

The devs claim to want a M:tG type arrangement for skills, where the critical thing is to have complementary skills rather than just powerful ones. Only without block rotation to killing off your old cards/skills.

As a group has a total of 64 skills that shouldn't be impossible, but to make it work they are going to need the effects of skills to be much more complex and open ended than they are imo.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 04:03:57 PM

They have shown a good deal of creativity so far with the skills and a fucking fantastic level of balance out the gate compared to any other rpg combat I've had the displeasure of pvp'ing with.  As to the power creep, it is inevitable table top wargames are a good example as even they can not avoid the temptation of making "the new army" a tad bit cheesier then all the others in hopes of selling their new books and mini's.  Gamesworkshop got this down to a fucking artform around when I stopped building them money hats.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Guild Wars  |  Topic: Content will cost, features are for free.  
Jump to: